2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Question for Levo owners: what are the dangers of riding a Levo at Burning Man? There is a lot of fine alkaline dust.... prob for motor or suspension? Anyone have prior experience with an emtb at burning man?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Question for Levo owners: what are the dangers of riding a Levo at Burning Man? There is a lot of fine alkaline dust.... prob for motor or suspension? Anyone have prior experience with an emtb at burning man?

Potential water ingress when fire department comes to stop “burning man” burning?

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi! Anyone have trouble with the rear hub that comes with the Comp Carbon Levo 2019? Myself and several of my mates need to tighten the preaload nuts for the bearings quite often. (Like every 3-5 rides) the LBS did this at first but I have done it lately my self. This sucks, if you bought a brand new expensive car and had to tighten the wheel bearings after a few rides repeatedly, you would just not accept it! Our local LBS sent a complaint to Specialized regarding this issue. They were told that we just have to tighten the nuts on a regular basis. I’m not looking for technical solutions to this, just curious if anyone else experience this. And yes we have tried with loctite, new bearings and all thinkable other solutions in dialogue with our LBS. I have now given up and put on a DT Swiss H 1700 wheel out back. But that ain’t right. I thought specialized were world class in customer support? At least that impression was given me when I bought the 2019 Levo.

Cheers Jonas

Posted this on FB on Specialized Levo Kenevo group. Got massive response. With people that had same experience. I see that some have gotten replacements from Spesh but most have not. WHY???

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
New to the forum. Anyone know seat post psi for 2019 Expert. My other bikes have a Thomson and Fox Transfer so this is new to me. I can't find manual for this model on Specialized website. Some say 15-20 psi and newer seems to be 70-100. I tried dropping to 40 and it would not raise so I am thinking 70-100 for 2019 is correct. I don't want to blow the seals and don't need full rocket up to my twigs and berries either. Anyway, I am loving the new bike. I had a Comp for 3 weeks and 250 miles. I traded it for an Expert a few days ago and now have 3 rides on Expert. The battery, suspension etc is much better. I was happy with comp but LOVE the Expert. My only complaint is the Command Post it's the worst dropper I have owned and the debris collection down low. Honestly the X fusion was better. So digging the new ride. I sold my gravel bike and road bike to get this. I still have a Pivot 5.5. I have only ridden these the Pivot a few times since this purchase. The Litespeed softail single speed ismainly wall art at this point. I suspect the only time the other bikes will get used are in areas where emtb is not legal. Anyway excited to find this forum.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Welcome @Truckeemtb! There's a lot of nice riding in your neighborhood - I'm sure you're anxious for the snow to melt!

Mrs levity and I will be up there next week (staying at Donner Lake), but we're only taking our regular mtbs this trip. Do you know if the Sawtooth - Big Chief area is snow-free yet?

Pic below is at Summit Lake on June 15 last year- snow was gone, hero dirt!

Summit Lake.jpg

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
Welcome @Truckeemtb! There's a lot of nice riding in your neighborhood - I'm sure you're anxious for the snow to melt!

Mrs levity and I will be up there next week (staying at Donner Lake), but we're only taking our regular mtbs this trip. Do you know if the Sawtooth - Big Chief area is snow-free yet?

Pic below is at Summit Lake on June 15 last year- snow was gone, hero dirt!

View attachment 14989
I haven't tried the rim trail this year, I suspect still some snow in sections. Heaps of trails to ride right from my house. At is was a pretty solid winter it's going to be bit for some of the N facing and higher up trails. That being said lots of trails open and the rest are opening quickly with the warm temps. Since I am new to this forum I don't know is there is a way to PM, if so I can point you in the right direction.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
This weekend I tried a certain bike park with my base 2019 Turbo Levo as well as my Trek XC bike (Top Fuel) with 100mm suspension. The XC bike has much better suspension than on the Levo, Fox Performance 32.
What strikes me is that my XC bike, even though it has only 100mm of travel, don't wear me out nearly as much riding over bumps as my Turbo Levo.
Is this due to the cheap fork on the Levo?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
... What strikes me is that my XC bike, even though it has only 100mm of travel, don't wear me out nearly as much riding over bumps as my Turbo Levo.
Is this due to the cheap fork on the Levo?
@Kave -
1. Attach five 5-lb. weights to your Top Fuel.
2. Ride the park again.
3. Report back to us.
;)

Koosh

Feb 11, 2019
Netherlands
Thanks. That’s what I will also probably do. Is there a reason why you went with blue rotor centerpiece instead of red?

No not really, i had three sets of wheels on my previous 2018 Levo, and ordered three set of disks, and they came in blue. The combination with the blue front sprocket (34T), looks cool. When they are worn out i maybe change the color to black.

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
The SWAT CC steerer tube tool that comes with 2019 carbon Levos has a 5mm hex bolt that is accessed from below the fork crown. The 5mm bolt goes thru a base plate that interfaces with the bottom of the steerer tube tube and preloads the headset bearings by tightening them against the cap on top of the stem. (It also serves as part of the chain breaker.) From the factory mine was set a bit loose (not enough bearing preload), and I noticed a slight clunking sound from the headset area on larger hits. I would advise checking the headset bearing preload on ANY new bike purchase, with or without the SWAT tool.

To adjust the preload you need to loosen the stem (usually 4mm hex) before adjusting the 5mm bolt and retighten the stem afterwards. You also have to completely remove the upper part of the SWAT CC tool if you want to change stem spacers or switch or flip stems. It's a bit more involved than a conventional star-nut system but very easy to do.

I just traded my comp in for the expert. It has the swat but no chain breaker or extra link carrier? I thought this was supposed to come with it? I just got it last week build date was 2.13.19

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I just traded my comp in for the expert. It has the swat but no chain breaker or extra link carrier? I thought this was supposed to come with it? I just got it last week build date was 2.13.19
It has a chain breaker and spare link, you just have to undo the bolt under the steerer tube and pull out the swat tool holder, it's all in one piece

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
Did the grease get rid of the creak? I’ve got the same issue. Gonna change them out for metal spacers..

Yes, fixed. It had a dab of grease on the steer tube from factory below the lower bearing race. I added a little more and spread it all the way around and no creaks.

PS my only additional thoughts at this time is Command Post is not good at all, 5 days and it's already dropping when I sit on it after bringing back up. I think the rear tire needs a DH casing as well. Anyway LOVING the bike

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Definitely missing from my bike. No chain link magnet spot and no slot. The whole bottom part with the notch isn't there or the flared bottom. I pulled it out again after my ride and brought it into shop as I flat spotted my rear rim. They pulled it out to double check as well. Side note, check your spoke tension!
That's weird, is yours a different part completely, or is there just part of it missing?
You would think specialized only made one swat tool, because without the chain breaker etc, not really a swat tool is it ?

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
PS my only additional thoughts at this time is Command Post is not good at all

it does kind of suck, i have been using 70 psi and applying suspension grease and wiping it off and it's better for a few rides. I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to figure out why it wouldn't shift out of the bottom gear, the thru axle had loosened up after 2 weeks

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria

Tony01

Apr 6, 2019
CH
No not really, i had three sets of wheels on my previous 2018 Levo, and ordered three set of disks, and they came in blue. The combination with the blue front sprocket (34T), looks cool. When they are worn out i maybe change the color to black.

I also ended up ordering hope rotors in blue. Plus blue pedals. For some reason my dealer takes forever to get them. One more week of waiting. Last weekend overheated standard brakes on a long curvy decent. Not a pleasant feeling

Truckeemtb

Jun 16, 2019
Tahoe California
it does kind of suck, i have been using 70 psi and applying suspension grease and wiping it off and it's better for a few rides. I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to figure out why it wouldn't shift out of the bottom gear, the thru axle had loosened up after 2 weeks

Swapped out for Fox Transfer/ Race Face post like my other bikes. Happy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles