YT Decoy 2021rumors...

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Thing is the "hype train " is for bikes that really aren't much different to what their offering now - there is no game changing bike about to come out, if you like YT just get the current decoy, the E8000 with their proprietary battery gives not far off the range of an EP8 with a 630wh battery, and the extra power isn't going to make a jot of difference in the real world.

The main thing YT need to do is pul their thumb out and get that 700wh battery to market.

I agree with you. Bikes are like smartphone now, every year a new model, always better than the previous one... but it's not reality.
I'mv not looking for a new motor to be honest even if the EP8 is really a great one, but more about an updated battery. Almost 2 years ago YT annonced their custom battery "ready to be realeased soon". In fact, we are stll waiting.

I'm bulky, like rob's chinese frame. Not fat, bulky. I'm not owning an ebike right now, but i've rode with some cool "Moustache" or "Specialized" by the past. Where I live, in France, south of france more precisely, I can go quite far, climbing +2000 in a single day without any problem. And every time I went for a ride with my friend, with lunch in the backpack, I was quite short in term of battery "remaining" (don't know if this sentence is correct, sorry for that).

So battery capacity is really important fro me where I live. And I was really expecting some updated capacity from 3rd part manufacturers for example. 3 years ago Specialized was offeringa 700 maH battery. 3 years ago. It's like prehistorical in the ebike market! So I was excpecting more cells in smaller battery size, or at least same size but bigger battery.

So, I'm disappointed by the battery, not the motor upgrade.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
same here... Canyon Spectral ON disappointed me with absolutely non-agressive geometry. I expected updated geo - slacker HTA and maybe slightly more travel than 150mm front and rear. And the decoy sad story... well, everything was said.

Yes, Canyon are really some pretty bike, but not exciting. Too shy for my riding style. Commencal did a way better job with this last ebikes.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
I'm only waiting for the 2021 decoy because there's no 2020 decoys in the USA. I'm really hoping they offer them with stock Shimano batteries. At this point Commencal has started to increase their prices on the Meta SX so I think I'm going to be holding off for the 2021 Decoy. If I don't find something I'm happy with I can just wait till 2022. I'm happy to pedal around my normal mountain bikes till the right eMTB comes along.

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego
Same boat here. Already checked off specialized as an option with their ridiculous price hike a few days ago. This morning I almost pulled the trigger on a commencal but I don't want to wait until July. I'm running out of options and I might just get another dirt bike. Lol.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
Same boat here. Already checked off specialized as an option with their ridiculous price hike a few days ago. This morning I almost pulled the trigger on a commencal but I don't want to wait until July. I'm running out of options and I might just get another dirt bike. Lol.
Yeah I hear ya. I'm may buy a DH bike this summer if an eMTB doesn't line up by then.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I agree with you. Bikes are like smartphone now, every year a new model, always better than the previous one... but it's not reality.
I'mv not looking for a new motor to be honest even if the EP8 is really a great one, but more about an updated battery. Almost 2 years ago YT annonced their custom battery "ready to be realeased soon". In fact, we are stll waiting.

I'm bulky, like rob's chinese frame. Not fat, bulky. I'm not owning an ebike right now, but i've rode with some cool "Moustache" or "Specialized" by the past. Where I live, in France, south of france more precisely, I can go quite far, climbing +2000 in a single day without any problem. And every time I went for a ride with my friend, with lunch in the backpack, I was quite short in term of battery "remaining" (don't know if this sentence is correct, sorry for that).

So battery capacity is really important fro me where I live. And I was really expecting some updated capacity from 3rd part manufacturers for example. 3 years ago Specialized was offeringa 700 maH battery. 3 years ago. It's like prehistorical in the ebike market! So I was excpecting more cells in smaller battery size, or at least same size but bigger battery.

So, I'm disappointed by the battery, not the motor upgrade.
Very well said! I'm fortunate to have a Decoy Elite and a Specialized Levo S-Works. Many times I would like to take the Decoy based on the trail I'm riding but forced to take the Spesh because of the extended range. Totally understand the bikes were designed for certain characteristics and if the Decoy had the range of the Levo, it would be a no brainer on which bike would get out of the garage more. Not bashing the Levo, climbs like a billy goat and the smile factor is huge! Its just the Decoy is a beast, climbs good enough and can survive a nuclear war!

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
It's unlikely that YT will have a Decoy out before this summer. If Canyon and Commencal are all pushing their emtb out then it's probably a supply chain issue and there isn't any reason why YT would have an edge on those components. I'm betting we'll get the 2021 announcement within the next month or two.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
Gave up hope. Ordered a Commencal with expected delivery of July. At least now I'm in a queue.
Awesome! If I didn't already have a YT Jeffsy and a Commencal Clash I probably would do the same. I'm holding out hope for a summer Decoy. No rush on my end since I'm fine with earning my turns.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
climbing +2000 in a single day without any problem.
Phffftt ... I saw @Wheelie_King climbed 3000 cm's on a ride the other day ..

Merd ! Actually no, he only did 300 cm's didn't he .. ok, you win. ..

I take it they had some development problem with the 700 - either based in making it fit/heat management/compatibility with the e8000.

Lets face it, if they'd got it to work they'd have been churning them out as plenty of people would have stumped up for one and they'd have made some money.

Maybe they saw the ep8 specs and realised it wouldn't be compatible - so was it worth investing further ? If you change a battery/motor on a YT you generally have to get it re-configured by YT - so I guess there's more goes on than we take for granted ?

I know I'm repeating myself, but if the ep8 isn't compatible with the 540 then it would have made little sense longer term to develop the 700 as it was, so maybe they developed it with the ep8 in mind. They wouldn't have been able to say anything.

I think we're all just being snappy and inpatient. The Decoy was the desperate dream for many when it was released. They make some nice bikes. There' a good chance they have something in the pipeline even if it wasn't what we hoped for this week (as emtb'ers/VTTAE'ers)

Still, if you'd all just bought 2019 Kenevo's you wouldn't be complaining now would you :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;)

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego
Yeah, I'm earning my downhill runs right now too on my Guerilla Gravity, that is until the snow melts in the local mountains and they open up the bike park and i get to use the chair lift again, lol.
The good thing I've noticed about YT, is that they tend to have (limited) stock when they announce something new. Unlike almost everyone else that announce a new bike but you can't even order it until XXX date.
Cheers

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
Salut ! It's only a guess. But swapping batteries/motors on a decoy always seems to be messy because the battery isn't a direct Steps eco system item. So it could be worse with the ep8.
Mechanically, the motor will mount just fine onto the Decoy frame. YT does not need to retool to fit the motor. However, due to the lower profile shape of the motor, YT can chose to retool the bash guard if they choose to be a lower profile to achieve slightly higher ground clearance otherwise they can always stuff the empty void areas with foam to further dampen noise.
In terms of the battery compatibility, my speculation is the delay with certifying the 700wh battery is due to YT needing to make two versions of it instead of one. The EP8 will not work with the 540wh battery or the 700wh battery YT was Initially going to release So perhaps YT is making either another 700wh battery that is compatible with the EP8.
Of course this is just my wild guess

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
YT in my opinion is losing out a bit without the new EP8, but has possibly done the right thing by keeping the e8000 and getting continued accolades from a proven model, thus getting mail order ebike of the year. So, are they smart or just delayed by supply chain issues? Think it's a bit of both. If you announce a new bike without supply then the existing bikes look less attractive, while the new bikes are unattainable. I think it's the case that YT is hedging it's bets to close out the last E8000 design, then allowing supplies to build up for an EP8 model then sell the heck out of them. By the way, YT will go with Shimano's new 630wh battery. Why take on all the extra liability with your own design. Just by 2 Cents.

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego
Just got this email

Screenshot_20210218-170105.png

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
Churning the same message, "we'll tell you something soon!", is just fucking annoying. They know when they'll be able to announce something, so why not be honest. If not, then shut the hell up and don't say anything until you have something useful to say.

I love my current Decoy and would upgrade it if the new model warrants it, but for now, I've opted out of their empty communications...

Bamba

Dec 13, 2020
Ca
Yeah. Don't understand the waste of energy and resources on that one. Their website was just fine. Easy to to navigate. This is one of those making a change for the sake of change. Why? That new site is no better. And the outlet section is now gone... ( Or I cannot find it yet...)

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Yeah. Don't understand the waste of energy and resources on that one. Their website was just fine. Easy to to navigate. This is one of those making a change for the sake of change. Why? That new site is no better. And the outlet section is now gone... ( Or I cannot find it yet...)

It's not bad to change up a website to keep the UI fresh. They should do a better job debugging it before pushing it live though. It definitely has some bugs that need to be fixed.

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego
Sort of and yes same leadership....I am definitely not asking my engineers at my shop ideas for marketing like they aren't asking me ideas for product engineering.

Clearly there is a problem if engineering is not seeking guidance in respect to market trends. So they just build whatever they want and hope the consumer purchases it? Likewise with the marketing dept. just making up figures and other fluff to sell the engineer's product? I digress, the cohesion should be masterminded from the top. We've been promised new bikes this year, we weren't expecting a new website, not sure how it will benefit the launch of these new models.
Have you even tried viewing the YT site on a non-mobile browser? Maybe I'm just being overly critical of the dumbed down shopware template they chose. Carry on.

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Clearly there is a problem if engineering is not seeking guidance in respect to market trends. So they just build whatever they want and hope the consumer purchases it? Likewise with the marketing dept. just making up figures and other fluff to sell the engineer's product? I digress, the cohesion should be masterminded from the top. We've been promised new bikes this year, we weren't expecting a new website, not sure how it will benefit the launch of these new models.
Have you even tried viewing the YT site on a non-mobile browser? Maybe I'm just being overly critical of the dumbed down shopware template they chose. Carry on.

sure. yes there are a bit of overlap but my point wasn't broad. it was more focused on the engineering people aren't working on the actual website and the marketing people aren't working on the bikes and they aren't asking each other for help on execution of said department. the execution could be much better handled on new bike release than marketing for all we know. I was just saying that the same people that work on marketing aren't the same people working on the bikes.

And yes the website has a lot of issues. I have tried to browse it. they have a lot of language overlap as well.

the website refresh won't benefit new bike launch but won't hurt it except if they don't fix the issues announcement. I am sure they are still working on the bikes and probably needed to give marketing something to do so they said refresh the website. which they did mess that up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles