Unboxing a YT Decoy

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
He really needs to make a spoof version of this video ..

"Wow, this is by far the smallest box I've seen an e-bike delivered in .. "

Cut, pull, shuffle shuffle ... reveal ...

"Crap, they've sent me a tiny childs bike" ...

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I just bought the Decoy base 29 here in the US. My delivery date is Aug. 8! At least I still have my current ebike to keep me busy! I've got all kinds of upgrades coming, so can't wait to get the bike and build it up!

Pwrhungry

May 22, 2020
Germany
Congrats. I got the titan silver coming July 1st I hope. I went with the large at 5’10”. What size did you got and how tall are you.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I really like the Decoy Pro. Am I right in thinking that this is the first emtb delivered in mullet configuration ex factory?

Also their documentation is excellent like this exploded view. All manuals should have this diagram.

decoy exploded view.jpg

Okay so Pro Race is mullet and also AUD$12K unbuilt wow.

Decoy Pro Race.jpg

Last edited:

Pwrhungry

May 22, 2020
Germany
I really like the Decoy Pro. Am I right in thinking that this is the first emtb delivered in mullet configuration ex factory?

Also their documentation is excellent like this exploded view. All manuals should have this diagram.

View attachment 33703

Okay so Pro Race is mullet and also AUD$12K unbuilt wow.

View attachment 33704
Ya that seems like alot but dont know much about the aussie dollar. I paid about 6400 euro for the titan silver pro race.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No the YT wasn't the first mullet, that hour goes to Canyon with the Spectral On back in late 2017, and there where a few other mostly from fairly obscure European brands soon after.

Pwrhungry

May 22, 2020
Germany
Glad to see I'm on the right track with sizing. I'm 5'10" and also went with a Large but struggled a bit on the L vs. XL. Given that it's pretty close to the L gen1 Jeffsy I've ridden past 2 years I figured it's a safe bet.

We are in the same boat. Mine should be here in 3 weeks but even know I still worry maybe I should of went XL. So confused.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
We are in the same boat. Mine should be here in 3 weeks but even know I still worry maybe I should of went XL. So confused.

In hopes to nail this the first time, with such a long wait-time from YT, I totally geeked out and put the geo in a spreadsheet for my last bike vs. Decoy.

Changes are minimal (other than BB, seattube, chainstay, wheelbase, reach)....and most of those are all in the right direction compared to the OG '18 Jeffsy. Maybe finally I can get my dropper-post inserted to the right depth.

decoy geo.jpeg

Pwrhungry

May 22, 2020
Germany
In hopes to nail this the first time, with such a long wait-time from YT, I totally geeked out and put the geo in a spreadsheet for my last bike vs. Decoy.

Changes are minimal (other than BB, seattube, chainstay, wheelbase, reach)....and most of those are all in the right direction compared to the OG '18 Jeffsy. Maybe finally I can get my dropper-post inserted to the right depth.

View attachment 33732

Nice chart. Problem for me is this is my first mtb so no idea what size I need.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Nice chart. Problem for me is this is my first mtb so no idea what size I need.

Does YT have a location close to you that you can visit for sizing? Looks like you're in Germany.
I'm not sure what your local-shop situation is there in Germany, but another alternative is to find a shop with a similarly-sized (per geometry) trail/enduro analog bike to ride for size. That's if theyr'e doing rides. It's hit or miss here in US. Some shops do with mask/gloves, some are closed for anything other than repairs. New bikes have their geos posted, so shouldn't be hard to build a similar chart to something that fits you well if you can swing a leg over one in person.

Pwrhungry

May 22, 2020
Germany
Does YT have a location close to you that you can visit for sizing? Looks like you're in Germany.
I'm not sure what your local-shop situation is there in Germany, but another alternative is to find a shop with a similarly-sized (per geometry) trail/enduro analog bike to ride for size. That's if theyr'e doing rides. It's hit or miss here in US. Some shops do with mask/gloves, some are closed for anything other than repairs. New bikes have their geos posted, so shouldn't be hard to build a similar chart to something that fits you well if you can swing a leg over one in person.

I rode a XL decoy but 5 mins on the street tells you nothing. Same as if I go to a local shop and ride one around the parking lot. Yes I think ride an XL just fine going straight on the street but jumping, climbing, descending, or sharp turn single track who knows. YT says I can send it back but then again all I can do is put it together and sit on it in the house to see if it fits.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I rode a XL decoy but 5 mins on the street tells you nothing. Same as if I go to a local shop and ride one around the parking lot. Yes I think ride an XL just fine going straight on the street but jumping, climbing, descending, or sharp turn single track who knows. YT says I can send it back but then again all I can do is put it together and sit on it in the house to see if it fits.

I see...I agree it's not the same as a trail ride. I never rode a Decoy, but got to take a L Turbo Levo out in urban setting (up/down some steps, small rooty climb into a city-park) and it felt fine. Similar geometry. But then again I rode a M Levo SL and managed to make-do with that too. It's possible to ride +1/-1 size without disaster. I'm not sure issues show up until you rack up miles. Later I was 'lucky' enough to book a paid 3-hr demo ride in the woods on a Devinci and was sold on the Shimano motor (I had earlier concerns based on folks' praise for the Brose/Specialized).

I've had several mtbs, and even with all that seat-time, they're all a bit different especially over the decades...even look at the difference between just the Gen1 and Gen2 Jeffsy for example. It's tough to extrapolate from one to another even charting out the geo numbers, but I think you and I (hopefully) are making the right call with the Large - I've surveyed folks my height in another thread and I think L is the right call given the Jeffsy L measurements.... I'll let you know if I get mine first!

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Congrats. I got the titan silver coming July 1st I hope. I went with the large at 5’10”. What size did you got and how tall are you.

Good choice! I’m not quite 6’ and on the Pro Race the Fox dropper has so much travel that there is 1” of the tube out of the frame on the XL ??

Last edited:

MooseMan

Jun 21, 2020
Queensland, Australia
If you're interested on how the YT Decoy arrives, I made an unboxing video for the 29er. Its quite an impressive box layout! By far the smallest box I've ever seen for an ebike.

Love the video. Great job. Was this Pro 29 only released this year? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth waiting for the 2021 and if that will be too far in the future.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Love the video. Great job. Was this Pro 29 only released this year? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth waiting for the 2021 and if that will be too far in the future.

@MooseMan - Decoy Pro29 was just released in early 2020. I asked YT about any Decoy "version 2" on the near horizon and the rumored 700 Wh battery. I mentioned to YT that I was ready to pull the trigger on the Decoy but felt little burned on my Jeffsy Gen1 vs. Jeffsy Gen2 with geometry fixes/improvements (and a 2018 mid-summer $500 price drop 2 weeks after I bought mine). I didn't want buyer's remorse for reacting too hair-triggered.

The YT rep basically had "no comment" on the 700 Wh battery. That "they're looking into it", but "not to expect it anytime soon".

The rep commented that their "current Decoy is relatively new in our lineup" and "not due for a refresh anytime in the near future".

They couldn't comment on any pricing promotions, but with the current supply vs. demand under COVID and Decoys selling out - I doubt they'll issue any pricing promotions....why would they?

With so many glowing reviews of the OG 'mullet' Decoy and now Decoy 29 - I'd be surprised if YT is in a rush to heavily invest in Decoy .v2 R&D. Especially with the recent Izzo launch.

Last edited:

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
They have like a 30 day return policy but large and XL are all sold out. I’m 5’10” and praying the large is perfect.
Yeah just emailed them to cancel my order, the xl‘s have been showing up on the website to order over the last couple of days Off and on so just going to have to keep an eye on it!! I think a L will be right for you if your 5’10”.... they’re proper sought after these bikes!!

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
They have like a 30 day return policy but large and XL are all sold out. I’m 5’10” and praying the large is perfect.

At 5’10” the L with a Fox Transfer is likely to be spot on. The XL Pro Race could be a fine line depending on how you set up the bike for your leg on a full stretch.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Yeah just emailed them to cancel my order, the xl‘s have been showing up on the website to order over the last couple of days Off and on so just going to have to keep an eye on it!! I think a L will be right for you if your 5’10”.... they’re proper sought after these bikes!!

Yorkshirelad.....Where in Yorkshire are you? I might be able to firm up your decision ??

MooseMan

Jun 21, 2020
Queensland, Australia
If you're interested on how the YT Decoy arrives, I made an unboxing video for the 29er. Its quite an impressive box layout! By far the smallest box I've ever seen for an ebike.

@MooseMan - Decoy Pro29 was just released in early 2020. I asked YT about any Decoy "version 2" on the near horizon and the rumored 700 Wh battery. I mentioned to YT that I was ready to pull the trigger on the Decoy but felt little burned on my Jeffsy Gen1 vs. Jeffsy Gen2 with geometry fixes/improvements (and a 2018 mid-summer $500 price drop 2 weeks after I bought mine). I didn't want buyer's remorse for reacting too hair-triggered.

The YT rep basically had "no comment" on the 700 Wh battery. That "they're looking into it", but "not to expect it anytime soon".

The rep commented that their "current Decoy is relatively new in our lineup" and "not due for a refresh anytime in the near future".

They couldn't comment on any pricing promotions, but with the current supply vs. demand under COVID and Decoys selling out - I doubt they'll issue any pricing promotions....why would they?

With so many glowing reviews of the OG 'mullet' Decoy and now Decoy 29 - I'd be surprised if YT is in a rush to heavily invest in Decoy .v2 R&D. Especially with the recent Izzo launch.
@Jeffsy29 that is very helpful info. I really appreciate you taking the time to write back. I'm struggling between the Specialized Levo Turbo and the YT Decoy Pro29. I've taken the Specialized out to the trails and was great but let's be honest, the YT looks so much hotter and I've heard so many bad reviews on aftermarket issues with the Brose, so even though I loved the ride, I'm suddenly very hesitant. I've also taken the Levo SL out for a big ride and even though it was a lot of fun, I felt it too similar to a normal bike, so it kinda defeats the purpose for me. What's your opinion?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles