Unboxing a YT Decoy

nikojenks

Jun 7, 2020
UK
After a 3 week wait (bike was "in stock") I had an unpleasant surprise when unboxing my Decoy

IMG_4313.jpg
IMG_4315.jpg

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
@nikojenks - Ouch! That's awful. In the 2nd pic it almost looks like it was sloppily-dremeled in order to machine-down the face to accommodate the RDR hanger, but in the upper pic it looks more splintered from side-impact/torquing.

How has YT responded to this? How disappointing after such a long and anticipated wait.

nikojenks

Jun 7, 2020
UK
@nikojenks - Ouch! That's awful. In the 2nd pic it almost looks like it was sloppily-dremeled in order to machine-down the face to accommodate the RDR hanger, but in the upper pic it looks more splintered from side-impact/torquing.

How has YT responded to this? How disappointing after such a long and anticipated wait.
@Jeffsy29, I think the damage was caused by an impact to the hanger and it rotating round into the frame, embedding itself in the carbon. But there was no noticeable impact damage to the box and I couldn't find a carbon debris in the box either, so not sure it happen in transit.

YT's responses was initially quite good, but not via their customer service channels that's a black hole (1.5 hr on hold and no answer or 3-4 days response time to emails). It was actually one of the UK reps who contacted me on here in response to a post I submitted for advice last Wednesday, the same day I received the bike and found the damage.

Fortunately they still had my size in stock. On the Thursday I created the new order as instructed to secure the replacement and they organised the return shipping labels, though I had to take it to a Parcelforce depot 25 miles away as no post office would accept it due to the weight which was annoying.
I then notified them Friday morning once it had been dispatched & the tracking was active and they confirmed they'd process the replacement order as a priority.

Since then radio silence, the replacement order is still has a status of 'The order is in process' and still pending payment, as I had to select bank transfer as payment on the new order and they're supposed to transfer the original payment over.

Being a priority doesn't seem to make much difference.
So far it's actually slower than the original order, at least then the payment status updated the day after I placed the order.
Looks like i'm in for another 3 week+ wait and no bike to ride.

All very disappointing and starting to really regret ordering the thing in the first place. I thought the negative experiences I had read about YT we're probably edge cases, but it's starting to look like they're pretty accurate.

Ironically the bike I returned is already in transit to Germany and looks like it will be delivered to them this week.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles