YT Decoy 2021rumors...

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
65 on my Commencal HT 2020 and to be honest, it's one on my favourite bike of all time! Great for pedaling, great for DH or enduro too!

brewoz40

Jun 1, 2020
San Diego
I agree, they need to make changes, the reach of 430 on a medium in my opinion sucks! After riding bikes with at least 450, I can never go back to anything shorter. Feel so cramped and so front heavy, body position is just not optimal. I dont need super slack hta but at least maybe 64.5/64 with a flip chip so rider can choose. For me, if they dont change the geo, its a major miss on their part and they will lose a lot of sells including mine.

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
I agree, they need to make changes, the reach of 430 on a medium in my opinion sucks! After riding bikes with at least 450, I can never go back to anything shorter. Feel so cramped and so front heavy, body position is just not optimal. I dont need super slack hta but at least maybe 64.5/64 with a flip chip so rider can choose. For me, if they dont change the geo, its a major miss on their part and they will lose a lot of sells including mine.
Why not buy a size Large knowing all of YT’s bikes have always run a little smaller than other brands to get your 450 reach? I’m a size medium on most brands but ride a large on the Decoy and I’m 5’8”. Longer reach is not the end all on an Ebike because the front end is a lot heavier and it’s going to be much harder to bring the front end up compared to an acoustic bike. If you want a 64 degree HT, run a 2.5 Rear tire. My decoy has a 63.5 HT as I also have a 180mm fork. I’m on 160mm cranks to avoid pedal strikes.

AC074920-636E-4757-8253-2D9024AA8B5A.jpeg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Sounds like you should have purchased the larger size?

The earlier YT's actually used to be on the larger size, but now it seems to have gone the other way.

brewoz40

Jun 1, 2020
San Diego
I get that, I've ridden the large and it felt like a tank for me, I'm 5'7 and it just felt off and just plain to big. Yea the reach was nice but everything else was off. I shouldn't have to size up throwing the balance off of every where else. Wish the large felt right as I would do it if it did. Glad it worked for you.

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego
Stag can also mean a male red deer. Which would put it in line with the Capra (Goat) and Decoy ('Duck').
I know, I'm reaching a bit. But just anxious.

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
I will be getting an ebike for the misses this year and she is really small so I wanted to get her a light ebike. Was looking at the Levo SL and Orbea Rise but if YT gets in the game..........That's where I will go.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
@akuria maybe but the stag beetle is part of the Scarabaeoidea a little marketing bluring/stretching and you get a cool image and cool name throw in some pearlescent paint..

Maybe its the German name Hirschkäfer or Lucanus

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Predictions (from past and current day).

EP8
Fox 38 170 mm 44mm offset
HA: 64 degrees
Reach (size L) 470
Battery 630 wH (Shimano) - *** A real "cast" on this prediction - retrofittable to the YT frame via a bracket.
Shimano brakes and rotors
Bars and stem (e13) :cry::cry: (hope I am wrong)
Wheels - Crankbrothers
Tires: end of the 2.8 rear - 2.6 maybe
Pedals - NONE

I'll bet money on the 1st and last one on this list :cool: ... the rest ...

Come on Thursday ... I have 10K sitting around with nothing to spend it on (OK ... I do not, but I like bikes .. so its justifiable as bike riding is an addiction and I need help - lol ):)

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Interesting to see that the Decoy Shred won Direct Sales EMTB of the year in this months MBR, up against 4 other bikes, all with bigger. batteries and newer motors., including the EP8 Canyon SpectralON and the new Vitus E-Sommett - I know these reviews are subjective, but it goes to show that that the most important factor is still the basic geometry, ride and handling of the bike, rather than incremental differences between most of the motors - in the press Singletrack and MBR have been quite vocal on how they dont think that EP8 vs E8000 is that much of a difference out n the real world, which is pretty rare for mainstream media not to just be all praising of the latest greatest thing.

Link please!!!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hey all .. will throw in my 2 cents :cool:

I personally think the geo of the YT Decoy works VERY well. Manufacturers are following a "trend" of creating these LONG REACH bikes that require significant changes to the HA of the bike (slack) ..otherwise the stack height and handling is negatively impacted.

Remember handlebars .. same thing. 685 to 720 to 750 to 800 to 820 ... and what is the trend now ... most pro's running 780 ish. I doubt we will ever see a set of 840mm handlebars released ?. Why .. isn't longer better ??? Maybe its because we have already reached the "limit" of what works well based on human anatomy (unless our limbs magically grow longer)

Now back to the Decoy.

In 2019 the Decoy was launched with a 160mm fox 36. I always believed the bike was designed around a 170mm fork (since its 165 rear travel) and SURE ENOUGH .. in 2020 the decoy was launched with a 170 mm front end. The fox 36 e-bike version was NOT available in 170mm length (in 2019) as it uses a Fox 34 air spring inside.

Now .. raising the front end 10mm in height will result is a few notable handling changes and impact on BB height. The latest version of the TOP model decoy is using a Fox 38 fork in 170mm length BUT is also using a 51mm offset to compensate and drop the front end lower (mimic a geo between the 160 mm and 170mm fork)

So as far as "updated" geometry ... my personal opinion is a lot of bikes are going too far (just like handlebars). What's next .. a bike with 750mm reach ?? Simple math and body dimensions (arm length vs ape index, etc.) will set a "limit" on reach numbers (not to mention why bikes in 2030 are not going to resemble choppers due to obvious handling shortfalls)

So my prediction for the Decoy (as far as "updated geometry .. not motor or battery predictions) is:

The HA reduced to 63.5 or 64. This is NOT to follow trends but rather allow them to go back to using a 44mm offset Fox 38 fork (instead of relying on the 51 mm to drop the front of the bike a bit)

When you reduce the HA ... by default the reach shortens .. so you'll need to increase the reach number to compensate. Fair enough. The reach number is matched to the HA.

So while some would refer to these changes as "modern geometry" .. I think of it more as slight tweaks to integrate everything to work better together based on subtle geometry changes.

The Decoy is VERY balanced and I believe the only geo changes we will see (slight HA change and slight reach increase) are to accommodate a 170mm fork with a 44mm offset (in 2021). This will maintain a design that already works very well ! Why mess with a winning formula ? Slight evolution, not a revolution (like we saw 5-6 years ago)

Drastic reach numbers and super slack head angles are going to be just like handlebar width's .. eventually we will reach a limit .. before we realize what we were using works pretty darn good if not better.

Commencal is being really BOLD with their design changes for 2021. History will show if this approach is the 840mm handlebar launch. Has it gone too far ?? No idea. ? I guess we'll know the answer soon.?

As far as the predictions above .. I guess we'll know shortly. If you have a winning formula (like the Decoy and Capra have), it would be really an ambitious undertaking to change drastically.

I am excited to see the new offering either way. "I am a dangerous man with a credit card in my pocket" ..
Very well said. I think the geo on the Decoy is spot on. Impressed with the overall performance (have the Decoy Elite). Maybe since I have a Specialized Levo S-Works I tend to ride the Decoy for more DH/Enduro type riding. Really hate to limit a bike characters by categorizing. I swap emtbs with my riding buddies and to a tee, they all like my Decoy and I would have to say I prefer it over the many different brands I have demo'ed while trading off bikes. Understand that my bike is dialed it exactly how I like it in regard to components and shock/fork settings. Only upgrade I would like would be a longer range battery. Not really an issue since I take my Levo for long days in the saddle.

Bamba

Dec 13, 2020
Ca
Link please!!!
not so surprised. I really don't understand the whole need for a new engine. I mean I get it that new bikes will have the ep8, but I never felt the need for more power on my decoy. I never felt the need for 12 speed either. ever. (as oppose to my analog bikes in which 12 speed was a blessing for me). lighter engine is always good, smoother engagement would be nice too, but im not hearing yet that ep8 engages and disengage any better in reality. not enough to want to swap my decoy. range and bigger battery is a whole new story - but that upgrade can go on current decoy models hopefully as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles