YT Decoy Reach?

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
Hi Decoy owners

I'm considering a Decoy MX as my next ebike, but noticed from the geo charts that the Large has a reach of just 446mm. I'm 6'0" height and like longer bikes, so does this mean I should be going for a XL? Even the XL reach at 469mm seems a bit tight compared to other brands?

Any advice appreciated!

Chris

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Most likely youll want xl if you want long, i prefer to run a bit shorter on my emtb to add some mobility to an already super stable bike but not a full size. I have a medium and its still super fun qnd versatile but if i had to do it again id go large. A large decoy at 450 reach would still be shorter than my medium commencal meta am29 at 465 but i find that too long and lacking versatility

skipin7ro

Jun 22, 2020
SWCO
I am the same height as you and went with an XL in last year's Decoy29. It's almost perfect out of the box size-wise, except I wish the XL had the option to get the 150mm dropper. The provided 170mm is just a tad too long for me. I have to catch the saddle just shy of the fully-up height. It's easy enough, but a 150mm dropper would really dial-in my Decoy. The only changes have been a 40mm stem, a saddle, and some handlebars.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I am the same height as you and went with an XL in last year's Decoy29. It's almost perfect out of the box size-wise, except I wish the XL had the option to get the 150mm dropper. The provided 170mm is just a tad too long for me. I have to catch the saddle just shy of the fully-up height. It's easy enough, but a 150mm dropper would really dial-in my Decoy. The only changes have been a 40mm stem, a saddle, and some handlebars.
You might want to try a one up dropper post. They have short stack heights and you'd probably be able to run a full 170. If not theyre adjustable by 10mm with an ez to install shim

skipin7ro

Jun 22, 2020
SWCO
You might want to try a one up dropper post. They have short stack heights and you'd probably be able to run a full 170. If not theyre adjustable by 10mm with an ez to install shim

Thanks for the info on the One Ups! I'll have to do some measuring, but it looks like it would reduce the stack height by about a centimeter which is about all that is needed.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Thanks for the info on the One Ups! I'll have to do some measuring, but it looks like it would reduce the stack height by about a centimeter which is about all that is needed.
No worries. I don't have one but its on the list. Common suggestion with people in your situation, especially if youre considering a new post anyway

rondre3000

Jun 15, 2021
San Diego
Providing another data point here. I would definitely suggest you go XL at 6' tall. I'm 5'10" with a 32" riding inseam and ride a size XL Decoy. I too prefer a longer reach and stuck w/ the stock 50mm stem and still wish the Decoy had at least another 10mm of reach. As DirtnVert already said, also look into OneUp dropper posts if you want the longest drop with the shortest stack height. I'm able to use their 200mm dropper with my set-up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles