YT Decoy 29 - Tyres

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
Hi guys

second time I’ve had a puncture on my base 29 on the rear, this time denting my rim. I’m running the standard Minion DHR II 2.4 that came with the bike. I don’t rate it.

Looking at a new tyre for the rear, and il now purchase a cushcore.

do any of you guys have any recommendations for an all-round tyre. I’m around 90kg kitted up.. I generally enjoy trails the most, although I might do boring fire roads for some fitness and attack local DH tracks like today (I’m no expert lol) which is where I had the Split in the tyre. I also enjoy a good climb. If I went for a proper downhill rates tyre would the drag on trails and fire roads really be that horrendous?

I’m also looking at sizing up perhaps, to say a 2.6. The front is still a 2.4 but I’d also size that up to a 2.5 or 2.6 once it’s dead.

so.. with the whirlwind of tyre choices, id appreciate your tyre and size recommendations!
Cheers

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
What psi are u running, looks like its low. I weigh around 90-95kg depending on gear. I run around 25psi-30psi. That's on the normal Decoy

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
You getting flats is most attributed to the tire casing (exo comes stock). I’d recommend getting DH casing tires. I’m impartial to Maxxis and like DHF front and rear, but there are plenty of options out there that will limit you risk of flatting. Also if your running tubes, you need to ditch those ASAP.

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
i forgot about this thread - i did indeed change the rear for an Eddy Current in 2.6. The front minion is still doing fine but when that's ready to change il get an Eddy up front too.

much prefer the Eddy. i ran it at 25psi first off and a tyre burp on my local DH track gave me another flat and another lovely dent in the rim, so this time i've upped to 30psi.

on a side note are you Nickfrog from Pistonheads by any chance? i'm sure i've seen a username like that on the Ebike thread after i posted a pic of my Decoy on there.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
After 3 mos on the Decoy, here are my observations:
1. Front doesn't wear much quicker than a standard MTB tire. I replaced stock Minion DHF with an Assegai 2.5WT Exo+
2. Rears wear FAST. Stock DHF lasted about 4 weeks. Replaced with two Kenda Hellkat AGC , neither of which would hold sealant (I'm told manufacturing defect by company and they sent me two replacements but I'm skeptical). Replaced with Schwalbe Magic Mary, whose knobs tore off after 3 rides (warrantied and replaced with an Eddy Current which I haven't used yet). Replaced with Michelin e-Wild which I really like! It's heavy and stout like the Eddy Current
3. I use cushcore front and rear and see no reason not to, even with the heavy duty sidewall tires

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
are the Eddie Current's suitable for all terrains? I ride Surrey Hills every weekend, so muddy, loamy, Rooty conditions to dry fast smooth trails depending on the time of year. I also like to ride in Wales where it much rockier. I have always used Maxxis Minions on previous bikes, but considering the Eddies for the Decoy.

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
are the Eddie Current's suitable for all terrains? I ride Surrey Hills every weekend, so muddy, loamy, Rooty conditions to dry fast smooth trails depending on the time of year. I also like to ride in Wales where it much rockier. I have always used Maxxis Minions on previous bikes, but considering the Eddies for the Decoy.

so far I’d say the Eddy is the perfect all-rounder on almost all surfaces. Its
Pretty much a downhill casing so it’s heavy but takes a battering, and the tread is almost identical to the Magic Mary’s which were similar to typical motorcross Tyres for grip in mud and soft stuff. It does drag, but that’s less of a worry on an E bike. I’ve played with pressures, and I’ve got as
Low as 20psi, with no cushcore and I’m circa 88kg but probably wouldn’t risk going lower. The minions the bike came with were absolutely abysmal and any E Bike shouldn’t be sold with them in my opinion! All in I’m completely sold on them to be honest. I say go for it ??

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
So many are down on the Minions. I run them on my Sentinel with the EXO casing and ride heavy terrain and have no problems. I wear the rubber out and never have tears. I also weigh 255 lbs, so the extra weight on the eBike is not a reason.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles