VMG Typhon discussion thread

Thediesel233

May 11, 2021
Cali

This looks like a great option for those of us that want to start with a bare frame/motor/battery and build our own bike. It's available as a complete bike or frame only. The geometry is very modern.

I placed a pre-order for one of these frames in size medium.

I have already ordered most of the parts. The build will consist of:

-M600 motor
-Manitou Mezzer Expert with IRT @ 180mm.
-Manitou Mara Pro rear shock.
-Hayes Dominion A4 brakes.
-29er Carbon front, 27.5 aluminum rear.
- Novatec hubs. Steel freehub on rear hub.
-Microshift Advent X 10 speed drivetrain with KMC Ebike chain.
-170mm PNW Loam dropper.
-2.6 Kenda Hellkat front tire. 2.6 Kenda Nevegal2 rear tire.

I was told frames are scheduled to start shipping around the end of July.

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
280412918_341924798057254_3445791187544053890_n.jpg

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
I've ordered a frame. Build will be:
Rockshox Zeb Ultimate 29 A2 (2023 model, with Charger 3)
Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil (2023 model, with HBO adjust)
Mavic e-Deemax wheels (S30 29 front, S35 27.5 rear)
Maxxis Assector (Assegai 2.6F, Dissector 2.6R)
Rimpact Pro insert in the rear tyre
PNW Loam Dropper
Raceface bars & stem
XT 11 speed with XTR shifter & 11-46 cassette
Saint brakes (old model from previous bike)
Deity compound pedals (also old)

Considering spraying it a different colour before assembly, which may be delayed by shock. If that's gonna take too long, will consider CC Kitsuma coil.

Last edited:

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
I've ordered a frame. Build will be:
Rockshox Zeb Ultimate 29 A2 (2023 model, with Charger 3)
Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate (2023 model, with HBO adjust)
Mavic e-Deemax wheels (S30 29 front, S35 27.5 rear)
Maxxis Assector (Assegai 2.6F, Dissector 2.6R)
Rimpact Pro insert in the rear tyre
PNW Loam Dropper
Raceface bars & stem
XT 11 speed with XTR shifter & 11-46 cassette
Saint brakes (old model from previous bike)
Deity compound pedals (also old)

Considering spraying it a different colour before assembly, which may be delayed by shock. If that's gonna take too long, will consider CC Kitsuma coil.
I have a CC Kitsuma Coil on my Remedy. And it's a bloody awesome shock. Lots of adjustments to get your head around. But bloody amazing once dialed

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I run the older CC DB Coil, with same adjustments (HSC/LSC and HSR/LSR). Needs some attention until dialed in, but then it performs flawless. Awesome shock!

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
I run the older CC DB Coil...
I actually had that on order (the CS version) in the 205 x 65 size for this frame - it was on sale for A$700. But after a week the shop I bought it from replied with a "Sorry, we didn't actually have it in stock". Kitsuma will set me back A$1060 with a coil, RS SLDXU + Coil $820. Not a huge difference, but I'm willing to give the new Rockshox model a go. There is a totally irrational mindset on board that every time I've deviated from Rockshox over the years, I've had issues. Granted, that's only Fox, Manitou and Suntour ... but still it's in the back of my mind.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I actually had that on order (the CS version) in the 205 x 65 size for this frame - it was on sale for A$700. But after a week the shop I bought it from replied with a "Sorry, we didn't actually have it in stock". Kitsuma will set me back A$1060 with a coil, RS SLDXU + Coil $820. Not a huge difference, but I'm willing to give the new Rockshox model a go. There is a totally irrational mindset on board that every time I've deviated from Rockshox over the years, I've had issues. Granted, that's only Fox, Manitou and Suntour ... but still it's in the back of my mind.
Not a bad choice. The RS are way easier to dial in, and they perform great. May be the adjustments cannot be set to get the last 2% of performance out of the shock - but who cares. I would never spend that much on a shock. I‘m patient and by used, and then spend another 100€ for professional rebuild.

Thediesel233

May 11, 2021
Cali
Finally recieved my frame. Assembly was straight forward and I didn't run into any real issues.

Chris has been very helpful and attentive during the process.

The bike feels great on the trail. The geo feels great. Motor has plenty of power for steep climbs. The battery capacity is pretty good.

This is my first EMTB, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Overall Im happy with this purchase. I'm glad I cancelled my E10 order.

A brighter display would be nice. But I do like how compact it is.

Chris let me know before shipping that the battery needs to be removed in order to charge it. A bummer, but it is what it is. Not a huge deal since I'm not riding every day.

20221030_162152.jpg 20221030_162218.jpg 20221030_162139.jpg 20221030_162156.jpg 20221030_162210.jpg

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
Finally recieved my frame...
Looks great. I'm building mine up at the moment.

May I ask - what bottle cage are you running there? It doesn't even look like there is a cage. I'm running a Super Deluxe Coil and I was wondering if I'll even be able to fit a regular sized bottle in there with the piggyback, but it looks like you have.

Thediesel233

May 11, 2021
Cali
Looks great. I'm building mine up at the moment.

May I ask - what bottle cage are you running there? It doesn't even look like there is a cage. I'm running a Super Deluxe Coil and I was wondering if I'll even be able to fit a regular sized bottle in there with the piggyback, but it looks like you have.
It's just a cheap ZTTO aluminum side mount bottle cage off aliexpress. Should be less than $10 delivered to USA. The bottle fits but it's a bit tight so it needs a little wrestling in and out. No big deal, it hasn't dropped a bottle yet. I use this same bottle holder on all my bikes.

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
How do you guys like the M600 motor? How is the range, power, and performance?
I have the M510. I honestly can't fathom having more power than it provides, personally. Even on setting 3 out of 5 I'm way faster up climbs than any regular powered bike & rider I ride with.

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
I have the M510. I honestly can't fathom having more power than it provides, personally. Even on setting 3 out of 5 I'm way faster up climbs than any regular powered bike & rider I ride with.
Great that the M510 is strong. It is lighter, cheaper, and I imagine a little stingier on power than the M600.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Great that the M510 is strong. It is lighter, cheaper, and I imagine a little stingier on power than the M600.
Efficiency of the M600 & M510 will be almost identical, the M510 to be stingier will have to be slower ( less Watts ) or you will have to man up and make up the difference with rider pedal power.

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
I guess everyone is different. Some might prefer having what feels like a motorbike engine under their legs while they pedal. Some might want to derestrict their motor to go faster than 25kmh.

Personally I have no interest in KOMs, and I'm already going so much faster on flats and up hills than I ever have, cleaning more super-steep techy climbs than I could ever do, and generally enjoying MTB riding more than I have in a decade. The M510 is perfect for me.

I have nothing to compare to, but on a recent 90min ride that left all my riding buddies completely spent or ready to spew, using mostly setting 2, I used 9% of my 825Wh battery.

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
I guess everyone is different. Some might prefer having what feels like a motorbike engine under their legs while they pedal. Some might want to derestrict their motor to go faster than 25kmh.

Personally I have no interest in KOMs, and I'm already going so much faster on flats and up hills than I ever have, cleaning more super-steep techy climbs than I could ever do, and generally enjoying MTB riding more than I have in a decade. The M510 is perfect for me.

I have nothing to compare to, but on a recent 90min ride that left all my riding buddies completely spent or ready to spew, using mostly setting 2, I used 9% of my 825Wh battery.
840Wh 🙂

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
I'm a newbie guy. What's the Ultra?
Is the M620 too fast and powerful for most legal trail use? Is there an M610 motor, which keeps the M600 within legal trail limits? Also, what battery would I need to get me through a fairly long back country ride? We have some trails nearby that may be 25-30 mile rides with in-excess of 6000-7000 vertical feet of climbing. Certainly not your every day ride. But that is where I would prefer to occasionally use an assisted bike over my normal mountain bike. I hope you pardon that I am new to this sport. And trying to figure out what the limits are and best uses are for an emtb.

Last edited:

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
We finished this build last week for a good friend and customer of VMG.

Upgraded with 2023 Rockshox Zeb Ultimate, Super Deluxe Ultimate, Industry 9 enduro wheelset, SQLab saddle and carbon bars, Funn stem, grips and chainring and Raceface Atlas pedals

20221212_142941.jpg

VMG Chris

Feb 25, 2021
Sydney
Is the M620 too fast and powerful for most legal trail use? Is there an M610 motor, which keeps the M600 within legal trail limits? Also, what battery would I need to get me through a fairly long back country ride? We have some trails nearby that may be 25-30 mile rides with in-excess of 6000-7000 vertical feet of climbing. Certainly not your every day ride. But that is where I would prefer to occasionally use an assisted bike over my normal mountain bike. I hope you pardon that I am new to this sport. And trying to figure out what the limits are and best uses are for an emtb.
I've never ridden an M620, but have ridden M500, M510, M600 and BBSHD.

It really depends on the type of trails you ride. For tight and technical single trail, and M600 is overkill, but if you ride more fire/double trail an M600 would work well.

An M510 on Level 5 is too much power on tight single trail, usually Levels 1-3 is used for the trails around where we developed the Typhon.

I've done a range test on an M510 and 840Wh battery using Power Level 5. 1700m/5500 ft of climbing and 49km/30 miles range. So using power level 3, I think you'd probably make your distance and climbing

Last edited:

endo_alley

Dec 11, 2022
Thanks. Great advice. Those VMG bikes look great. I think the M620 is about 1000 watts. I could be wrong though. Where I live I think the trails that allow EMTB travel limit it to class l and class ll. Or what I believe is around a 250 watt output maximum. And 20 mph maximum. I admit a lack of knowledge how these limits are measured or achieved.

Last edited:

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
On the one hand, I should've bought an eMTB years ago. The levels of fun above regular mountain biking are - to me - unparalleled.

On the other hand, if I'd bought one years ago, it wouldn't have been possible for it to be this beast.

PXL_20230103_113613656.MP.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles