Talk to me about lube ?

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
So I have read lots of threads that say the GT85 and the like dissolve grease. As a result I will no longer be using it on forks, shocks, derrailleur and pivot bearings. So what should I use?

Last edited:

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I’m on about things like SRAM butter for forks and the like. I’m happy with the chain aspect thanks.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
After cleaning, I use silicon spray on a rag and wipe it over the surfaces of the dropper post, the fork stanchions and rear shock.
Is the derailleur supposed to be lubed? I never have :unsure:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I try to keep it simple if it helps:

1. Juicy Lubes - Fork Juice for Fork/Shock/Dropper
2. Finishline Wet (Autumn/Winter), Dry (Spring/Summer) for Chain
3. No extra lube on other components, just keep them clean, dry and dusted (wash off muck after every ride)

4. Bearings out every 3 months or so for wipe down, possible replace if knackered (I dont bother rebuilding bearings these days)
5. Change Fork/Shock seals during service annually or before if I suspect issues

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
After blasting dust of suspension and dropper with an air mattress pump (foot operated with a nozzle), I wipe down the bits that slide in with iso. Then a light smear of shimano brake oil, work dropper and suspension, then wipe the oil dust solution ring that is left at the height that you worked the suspension too. Everything is nice and smooth and clean then.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After blasting dust of suspension and dropper with an air mattress pump (foot operated with a nozzle), I wipe down the bits that slide in with iso. Then a light smear of shimano brake oil, work dropper and suspension, then wipe the oil dust solution ring that is left at the height that you worked the suspension too. Everything is nice and smooth and clean then.
Sounds like date night on a camping trip ....

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I ride where there is a lot of dust, and pretty much zero rain or mud. Therefore my priority is cleaning and having a non-stick dry film. My favorite all-around clean/lube is Finish Line 1-step. I use this for the chain and all mechanical items like derailleur, lever pivots, and shift mechanisms. For the forks I use...fork lube. I forget which brand. But I rarely use it, really just on a rare big cleaning.

My riding buddy uses WD-40 dry lube. It's cheaper, almost as good, but I do prefer the Finish Line. One can a year is not going to change my lifestyle or investments.

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
WPL ForkBoost lubricates and cleans bicycle suspension seals to eliminate stiction, remove dirt, and lengthen lifetime of the seal. Apply ForkBoost externally to the dust seals of bike suspension by coating the stanchion, pumping the suspension, and wiping away extracted dirt. ForkBoost is fully compatible with rubber and rubber derivatives, causing no risk of damage to the seals, seal swelling or cracking.
Forkboost-lube-Bicycle-Suspension-Lubricant_72ed9cef-46dc-4c8d-90dc-d9790f732006.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles