Talk me in to one...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For me most of my hobbies involve either going abroad (no not to Thailands seedier parts Zimmer) or having to take large chunks out of the day and injuring the wrath of my wife. Part of the reason I love the EMTB is that it has given me the ability to do something out fo my front door when I have the time to, that doesn't necessarily mean spending large amounts of time away from a young family. I am lucky that I live near to some fairly decent (though not challenging) trails, but on a normal MTB they would require a half hour slog up to the trail heads, meaning that I never bothered, and instead just drove over to the nearest proper trails in the Surrey Hills when I had the time to. So for me it has totally changed how I approach mountain biking, and definitely got me motivated to progress for the first time in a decade or so.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
@Cabby Have you ever ridden an emtb for more than a few hundred yards? If you had, then you wouldn't need to be talked into it. All you would have to do is to justify to yourself how much you were going to pay to get one.

I've never ridden one, one yard nevermind 100, though I'm hoping to get a shot of one in the next couple of days, though it's a HT.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As someone who has two near brand new motorbikes, plays to a 4 handicap at golf and in normal times has a full time job, I'm not so sure I will ride it more, it's an expensive mistake to make if I don't.
Are we still talking about ebikes or have we moved onto marriage?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Out today, did 20ish miles and only one climb that I'd say an ebike would be great for, the rest was comfortable unassisted, which is why I'm questioning myself about spunking 4k.

I get where you're coming from with your back, I don't have any issues stopping me riding a "normal" bike. I'm also sure I'd absolutely love one just no sure it's necessary.

Getting a shot of one tomorrow/Friday.

You don’t need to spend anywhere near £4K though. Hard tails start at under £2k, and if you don’t have any health issues, could go for one of those. Or for a couple of hundred more, could get an entry level full sus.

I gave you the details of the guys doing my bike for under £3.4K, and it'll be all the bike you’ll ever need. Take a risk, like you did on the scrambler! But this time, you won’t regret it.

You don’t need to buy the most expensive bike to have fun. ;)

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Now that made me laugh coming from you :ROFLMAO:

I'm no buying any cheap shite, it'll be your model, the one below or the one above.

Do as I say, not as I do! :)

Why would you get the model above mine? You‘re saying you don’t want to spend £4K, and I’ve shown you how to get one for a lot less than that.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Why would you get the model above mine? .

Fox suspension and better brakes, for no other reason. Always liked Fox over RS stuff, just personal choice.

Can you fire that link at me again, take me forever to find it in that topic over there.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Starting to have some doubts about buying am emtb now. I'm sold on it for climbing and big days out but I have enough hobbies that big days out will be relatively few and there is only really a couple of big climbs where I ride locally.

I don't do trail centres, I'm far too old for enduro stuff and DH so generally it's local tracks and trails round me. Yes for a few big days out they seem the way forwards but the more I think of my current use, they might be wasted on me....tell me I'm wrong.
You are not wrong
Seriously, save your money. I used to do bigger days out pre ebike. You will suffer from battery anxiety so will dial back the power to help. It will require the same effort from you to go as far or as long as you do now. It will make you lazy, and when you get over the initial buzz, you’ll be yearning for more. Heavy, cumbersome, and just not as fun in some situations. You will also increas wear on all items by 25%. Most noteably, chains, cassettes, chainrings, tyres and brake pads. If I could go back, I would, but health problems and doctors orders dictate I ride a ebike.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
You are not wrong
Seriously, save your money. I used to do bigger days out pre ebike. You will suffer from battery anxiety so will dial back the power to help. It will require the same effort from you to go as far or as long as you do now. It will make you lazy, and when you get over the initial buzz, you’ll be yearning for more. Heavy, cumbersome, and just not as fun in some situations. You will also increas wear on all items by 25%. Most noteably, chains, cassettes, chainrings, tyres and brake pads. If I could go back, I would, but health problems and doctors orders dictate I ride a ebike.

I'm almost tempted to think that's sarcasm but may be not.

My riding is done for mainly a fitness benefit as no matter how many gyms I join, I just don't have it in me to go regularly.

I do wonder how much riding an assisted bike will benefit me given what I ride, which afterall is mainly xc riding with the odd technical trail here and there.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I'm almost tempted to think that's sarcasm but may be not.

My riding is done for mainly a fitness benefit as no matter how many gyms I join, I just don't have it in me to go regularly.

I do wonder how much riding an assisted bike will benefit me given what I ride, which afterall is mainly xc riding with the odd technical trail here and there.
Yeah, for you, and what you ride, stick to a conventional Mtb. Really no sarcasm. It’s gives you purpose to ride to get fitter. A eMtb takes this away from you a bit, tho most on here will disagree with me on that point, and will argue it to the death. The vast majority on here are led with emotion when it comes to eMtb’s rather than fact. Actually there is only one on here imo that lets facts get in the way of emotion, and that is @Gary and he gets emotional about facts usually, and is often unpopular because of this.

So yeah, save your money and benefit more from your riding on your conventional Mtb.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yeah, for you, and what you ride, stick to a conventional Mtb. Really no sarcasm. It’s gives you purpose to ride to get fitter. A eMtb takes this away from you a bit, tho most on here will disagree with me on that point, and will argue it to the death. The vast majority on here are led with emotion when it comes to eMtb’s rather than fact. Actually there is only one on here imo that lets facts get in the way of emotion, and that is @Gary and he gets emotional about facts usually, and is often unpopular because of this.

So yeah, save your money and benefit more from your riding on your conventional Mtb.
What a load of rubbish, talk about sweeping statements.
Most People on here ride ebikes because they want to, not because they have to.

GrantCube

Mar 26, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am a 58yr old newbie......in my head I am only 25 but thats another story. My only loves over my life have been female (generally too expensive) or things with engines, wheels, handlebars or steering wheels, that kind of thing. I have little love for football or darts or manly pursuits such as these, I just want to do vehicle stuff. I have been blessed to have had sufficient success to allow me to have been able to fund my interests, (other than females....too expensive), and I own a nice boat, nice Porsche and a Norco Downhill MTB. The Norco has sat in the shed for a long while..... a few years actually and I finally started to ride it again about 8 months ago, for fitness not weight loss, I mean, who needs weight loss, right? After 6 months of riding the Norco and enjoying the ride immensely, the novelty started to wear off and I was finding excuses, (my wife - very expensive), to do other stuff and not ride the bike! To be honest, the downhill configuration of the bike had compromised the climbing and general riding and I wasn't doing much down hill (too old???), mostly trail riding and commuting to get to the trails.......fun was draining away and skills were not improving.......and that frustrated me as in younger days I had been a competitive motocross and trials rider.
Queue in a CUBE EMTB that I bought at a very good price in a fit of Covid-19 on-line shopping madness and the whole world has opened up again......as many have said in posts above this one, on an e-bike the ride to the trails is over and done with quickly, the pace of my trail riding has lifted which has had the added bonus of improving my skills, and the distance traveled per week has trebled or more! I arrive home from a ride in a lather of sweat and I am really enjoying the ride above and below the 25 kmh limiter. If you apply simple discipline and use only the amount of pedal support you want/need at any particular time, then you can work really Fu***^%ing hard or really easy, the choice is yours..........it's so good being an adult!
So, my newbie advice is don't buy an emtb, it will ruin your life, make you hate bikes and ruin your trail riding experiences. You could also develop a drug habit, become an alcoholic and end up homeless..........all because you bought an e-bike!
But on the other hand....................;)

(Obviously the female, drug dependency and alcoholism references were made in jest and with good humour........I do not want to offend anyone.......)

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
I live at the bottom of a big hill with almost immediate access to the Peak District, having an ebike makes this more accessible and want to get out and ride. It will improve my fitness plus I can use it for commuting to work too.

I told my wife these things in an effort to justify a large outlay of cash, but she knows the truth, I just wanted a new toy. She's right, it's a seriously fun toy and I've no regrets in buying it. It's all about the fun.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset

Another shit post! You're making a habit of this me thinks.
Does all those motor changes on your Specialized left you with a bad taste in your mouth for EMTB?
There are other brands out there too you know :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
See that golf handicap of 4?
Did you ever use a golf buggy at all to get moar practice in less time wiv less effort?
Or perhaps a golf trolley? Maybe even a motorised one?
Or did you carry your golf bag on your shoulder from tee to every single green?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
FYI Pitch and Put is the better format.
Same basic skills required.
Cheaper.
Less effort.
More strokes per £.
Less sticks to worry about.
Less ball weight to carry.
Zero need to dress like a cunt.
Playing dirty isn't so frowned upon.
Moar time left for biking after a quick 9 holes

For all the noobs chatting about their experiences with "females" the above also applies to married wimin vs marrying one.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've never ridden one, one yard nevermind 100, though I'm hoping to get a shot of one in the next couple of days, though it's a HT.
Ahhhh! All is clear now! The answer to your question lies with you. Get astride one asap and give it a go, you will return with "the grin". :love:

PS: See other threads on HT vs FS for MTB. Don't bother with an HT, go straight to FS. Normal rules do not apply for emtb.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Another shit post! You're making a habit of this me thinks.
Does all those motor changes on your Specialized left you with a bad taste in your mouth for EMTB?
There are other brands out there too you know :LOL::ROFLMAO:
See .. emotional ?‍♂️

GrantCube

Mar 26, 2020
Sydney, Australia
FYI Pitch and Put is the better format.
Same basic skills required.
Cheaper.
Less effort.
More strokes per £.
Less sticks to worry about.
Less ball weight to carry.
Zero need to dress like a cunt.
Playing dirty isn't so frowned upon.
Moar time left for biking after a quick 9 holes

For all the noobs chatting about their experiences with "females" the above also applies to married wimin vs marrying one.
So very very true!

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Out today, did 20ish miles and only one climb that I'd say an ebike would be great for, the rest was comfortable unassisted, which is why I'm questioning myself about spunking 4k.
From the type of riding you have talked about above and in your first post then I don't think I would get one if I was in your position. To me it would make sense if you plan to explore more and do more climbing but otherwise, for one hill, it just doesn't make sense.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What a load of rubbish
For once the guy is actually talking sense. I still happen to prefer normal bikes to Emtb by quite a long way and have stated so and why here many times.
@outerlimits your assessment of my emotional state over facts is a little off. Truth is not much on a forum stirs my emotions at all. Forums are just a distraction. Some folk watch TV etc for similar reasons. I'm straight to the point IRL too and just don't see any point in typing drivel when you don't know what you're talking about. Unless in humour of course.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
It seems strange that you are asking others to convince you to buy something you haven’t even taken the time to go and test ride.

Is the lockdown and boredom making you think of things that you might like ?

once its over your existing hobbies will likely take up your time again.

I haven't had the opportunity to get a shot of one until today when a friend of mine dropped his off at mine so will have a short shot today and a longer shot tomorrow to know where I am with them.

In regards my other hobbies taking over again, think my priority will be getting back to earning a living, something I haven't done for 4 weeks and then my hobbies inbetween but you may have a point as one only has so much spare time.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Update:

Just had my first shot on an emtb, absolutely amazing. On road it's pretty average as you're quickly above the 15mph limit but off road is an absolute hoot.

Do I think it's too much bike for what I do ? Probably, do I care, nope.

It was a HT I was loaned so wasn't the full experience but it was enough to convince me that if you bought one, you'd be kidding yourself on that you'd go back and use your manual one.

Anyone want to buy a BMW Scrambler :geek:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Update:

Just had my first shot on an emtb, absolutely amazing. On road it's pretty average as you're quickly above the 15mph limit but off road is an absolute hoot.

Do I think it's too much bike for what I do ? Probably, do I care, nope.

It was a HT I was loaned so wasn't the full experience but it was enough to convince me that if you bought one, you'd be kidding yourself on that you'd go back and use your manual one.

Anyone want to buy a BMW Scrambler :geek:
And as for the fun stopping at 15 mph, I know you wouldn't do it, but in a parallel universe if you could lift the limited speed it would probably make it a whole new level of fun!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
@Cabby Have you ever ridden an emtb for more than a few hundred yards? If you had, then you wouldn't need to be talked into it. All you would have to do is to justify to yourself how much you were going to pay to get one.
Probably find you enjoy it so much you will use it lots 3 or 4 hours my regular rides as for long days I leave that for a day in the hills or a sea kayak and camping trip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles