Let's talk tyre inserts.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Another ride, another flat. Running tubeless Minion 29x2.5WT DHF on rear, admitted I knew I was getting close on pressure in use at 20psi. Hit a square edge rock at speed and bang - neat hole right in the centre of the tread. Too big for Stans to seal properly but retained some air for me to ride back to the van (not a single spare tube between the 4 of us..... Doh)
Of course, could probably just run 25psi in future but got me thinking about inserts, as reviews indicate some also improve ride feel.
What's are you guys running and do they bring benefits?

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
Hi. I’ve just made a diy tyre insert, using 40mm backer rod. Seems to work ok. On my first ride on a E-MTB I got a pinch flat, ive never had one before, i think it’s because the bike is heavier. Since putting in the inserts I’ve had no problems and can run lower psi. The only drawback is checking psi as the insert blocks the valve a bit. But pound for pound the diy inserts only cost about £15 for 4metres of backer rod.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
I have just inserted a Rimpact insert in my rear tire as I recently got a pinch flat myself. They are a budget cushcore copy from what I can tell.

I had my first ride yesterday with it and could immediately tell the difference. I will probably run one for life now!

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
I have just inserted a Rimpact insert in my rear tire as I recently got a pinch flat myself. They are a budget cushcore copy from what I can tell.

I had my first ride yesterday with it and could immediately tell the difference. I will probably run one for life now!

At that price I think I will give them a try myself. I did notice they only sell them as pairs... I have fired an email to them requesting if they could make a pair up for us Canyon owners with 2 different wheel sizes, or at least sell to us as singles.

Update:
Got a response from Matt at Rimpact almost immediately after clicking send. He is going to make up a box pair of 29" & 27.5" inserts for all owners with odd wheel sizes as an option on their website. In the meantime, if you just leave a comment in the comments box at time of placing your order they will make up this specific pair for you.

G

Last edited:

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
At that price I think I will give them a try myself. I did notice they only sell them as pairs... I have fired an email to them requesting if they could make a pair up for us Canyon owners with 2 different wheel sizes, or at least sell to us as singles.

Update:
Got a response from Matt at Rimpact almost immediately after clicking send. He is going to make up a box pair of 29" & 27.5" inserts for all owners with odd wheel sizes as an option on their website. In the meantime, if you just leave a comment in the comments box at time of placing your order they will make up this specific pair for you.

G
no way that's what I wanted. I bought a pair of 27.5 and sold one to a friend :|

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
It may be worth contacting them to see if they will sell you a single for your 29" front wheel pal. You've already got them my business. ;)
Already on it. Failing that I will try to convince my friend to buy another 27.5 off me and ill get a missmatched pair as you said

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Cheers for the advice guys. At that price I thought I'd give Rimpacts a go. Ordered a set of 29s plus valves ?

Sep 27, 2019
UK
I have been running Rimpact inserts in both tyres for 3 or 4 months after destroying 2 tyres and 1 back wheel. So far so good. Not sure if they are any better or worse than any others as they are the only ones I have ever used.
I added them for protection only but in my opinion they feel like added dampening.

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
I have been running Rimpact inserts in both tyres for 3 or 4 months after destroying 2 tyres and 1 back wheel. So far so good. Not sure if they are any better or worse than any others as they are the only ones I have ever used.
I added them for protection only but in my opinion they feel like added dampening.

Sounds good! What rim and tyre size are you running?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Are you happy with Rimpact or is there any better alternative?
Rimpact have been okay for me. I've got a few niggles with them namely the valves are ? after a little while the rubber seal that sits inside the rim began to misshape and wouldn't hold more than 20psi which doesn't sound too bad but everytime you have a big hit or land a jump the tire pressure goes above this and it lets air out. before you know it you are at 10psi.

If your pressure is low enough you can feel the square edge of the insert and it stands the bike back up. Am example would be pumping a berm. It can scary at times ?

The last thing is that they stretch over time. Mine no longer contact the rim all the way around. My mate has proper cushcore his are still tight to the rim. All in all not bad for the price but definitely no cush core I can definitely feel the difference. Hope this helps ?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I have Rimpacts on my 27.5 Kenevo (37mm Internal width, mostly running 2.5 and 2.6 tires) for close to 1500 miles.

Pros:

Pretty much stopped all flats. Up until then, I would routinely pinch flat tires. Exo, Exo +, and even DD equivalent casings. All in the rear. For the first time (ever?) I was able to wear a tire down to replacement without a flat or having to stuff with tire bacon.

Neutral:

I think that I was able to run 1-2 psi less than I would without, but it would be hard to tell. Could have been the heavier casing tires. Damping effect was minimal to maybe taking the edge off of sharp hits.

Cons:

Sidewall support wasn't improved. This was more due to running a standard size insert in a 37mm rim than anything. They came out with the plus size later.

Seemed to absorb a bit of sealant.

Install/removal was harder than without

Overall - I think these were a positive as I was mostly interested in the flat prevention vs performance gains. In the end, it would have been more appropriate on less wide rims or running the plus inserts with wide rims. For my current bike (30mm internal rims), I plan on trying the Cush Core XC for some of the other added benefits as most reviews tend to lean towards the cush core variants having more noticeable effect.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Cushcore is good for sure, allthough a bit heavy.
I also noticed a somewhat smoother ride with CC in, but my shockwiz did`nt notice any need for setting changes after installing them. Tested at same trail, same ridestyle, 2psi less than before.

I run low psi`s, f14/r16 , 75kg with gear on. 2.8 tires.

SidLawrence

Aug 12, 2019
Meath, Ireland
Cushcore are superb........but......

I’m 115kg & they’ve done a superb job! Not a single puncture of any sort. Love the way they feel, love the sidewall support.

Initial fitting with Maxxis Minnions.....ok.....not easy, but not too bad!

Time came to change tyres........holy mother! ??‍♂️?
Getting the old tyres off......bad!
I swapped from Maxxis Minnions to Eddy Currents......fitting the Eddy’s.......holy moly! Hard work!
I pinched the rim tape.....crap! Had to take the rear tyre back off. Struggle is not the word! I got it off......eventually!

Made me realise, out on the trail......I’d be walking if a plug didn’t work!
I snapped a metal Park Tool tyre lever & damaged my rims getting the Currents on & off. ?‍♂️

Now using Nukeproof ARD! So far so good! Have had to increase the pressure slightly as sidewall support not as good. Have only ridden them twice, so can’t really comment on ride vs Cushcore yet.
What I can say is they’re so easy to fit! Not a tyre lever to be seen! They would also allow me to remove them & fit a tube trail side if needed!
Given the cost savings.....I’m hoping it’ll prove to be worth it!

Who knows.....but I’ve sold the Cushcore, I like the ARD so far, time will tell!

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
I`ve installed mine on DHF and DHR`s, and then changed over to Mary and Eddy. All 2,8 tires on 35mm wheels.

Had no problems with any of the installs/swaps.
imo it`s all about pushing the bead far enough underneeth the cushcore to get the bead deep enough in the wheel , to let the rest of the bead to flip over the wheel.
I did use acouple small plastic levers, but thats it..

2wls4ever

Feb 29, 2020
Felton, California
Another ride, another flat. Running tubeless Minion 29x2.5WT DHF on rear, admitted I knew I was getting close on pressure in use at 20psi. Hit a square edge rock at speed and bang - neat hole right in the centre of the tread. Too big for Stans to seal properly but retained some air for me to ride back to the van (not a single spare tube between the 4 of us..... Doh)
Of course, could probably just run 25psi in future but got me thinking about inserts, as reviews indicate some also improve ride feel.
The ugly truth is that inserts or higher pressure won't prevent that same sharp rock from cutting/puncturing a hole in your tire. Plugging the tire is the solution when this happens.

Inserts will help prevent from a side wall/bead puncture from the tire impacting the rim. Inserts will help you get home on a flat tire that is not repaired. Note, when a tire is flat and ridden on, it is immediately compromised and will most likely flat sooner on the next ride. In a perfect world, the tire needs disposed of and replaced.

I ride with cushcore inserts on my e-mtb. Other than preventing a rim pinch flat, the ride quality is the benefit.

LetRippr

Apr 21, 2021
Devon
Depends on your weight, 20psi ok for a 70kg rider who is not jumping, rear always should be higher than the front as it takes most weight and impacts.....

Bike Rider 007

Nov 3, 2020
California

I have 2k+ miles on my Levo SL and Levo combined, both running Cush Core. I have had 0 flats. Knock on wood.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I had just purchased a Dominion DHF 2.5” and on the very first ride on Pinhoti 3 and then 2 and put a hole in the side wall... my LBS offered cushcore which requires special valve stems as I put them on my wife’s bike and she loves the feel of them... but I did not want that much weight and did not want to buy the new valve stems as mine are new... the Tannus Armour are lighter and a different design than Cushcore and cheaper but price was not a deciding factor for me. I took them down Stanley Gap in BlueRidge GA and pounded the crap out of them with no problems and really enjoyed “Chunk”!

shakeystart

Jun 23, 2020
1617daY
Sooo, there is zero talk about tire noise, ie squeak when running inserts. However I can't seem to get rid of it when running the Rimpacts. Now I have reduced my pressures to just below 20 psi, but that's supposed to be one of the main benefits of inserts. I fully believe its the insert rubbing on the inside of the tire. Anyone have this issue?

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I love my cushcores. Typical ride at 20 psi. I’ve ridden as low as 15 psi but find 20 psi is my sweet spot. It also adds some suppleness to the ride. Better grip, better sidewall support. You can ride back to the car with zero pressure. I’ve done it.

LetRippr

Apr 21, 2021
Devon
Fitted cushcore front and rear. Huge difference. Safely hit square edges without wincing, run 18 to 29 psi with no preoblems, higher when jumping. They do deaden trail chatter some see as a positive others a negative. But less tiring on the arms. Mates have rimpact with no issues. But will be switching to double down tyres as single walls are crap at taking aggressive riding.

Aug 6, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Sah dudes,
I need a suggestion for a rear tyre insert, purely for rim protection, I ride quite rocky terrain (look up Loftus, NSW, Australia - especially Holy Trail ? - for reference).
I've replaced 2 rims (on 2 different bikes) due to heavy, unrepairable impacts, and frankly don't want to spend 100s of dollars just to replace rims..... Again ?. Have been looking at/contemplating myne-sweepers but would be glad of other suggestions.
I quite often get minor rim dents and yeah just want some insurance.

For reference, I am around 63-70ish kg riding weight, and I ride a 2019 Merida e160 which I've upgraded to a mullet since the last rim destruction session.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles