Let's talk helmets...

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
In Australia it’s been law to wear a bike helmet for about the last 35 years. I commute to the trails and with the Magpie season in full swing it’s pretty handy wearing one. The Plovers and Butcher Birds also have ago from the air. Then there’s pretty much every driver on the road trying to kill ya, and pedestrians that seem to just want to walk straight at ya. If none of that gets ya, there is always a stray Roo wanting to jump ya or a Brown snake or red bellies hiding waiting to strike.
Pretty much, everything tries to kill ya, so I wear a MET Lupo so at least me skull is protected.

???? remember it well when I lived in Queensland for a year. However, you may have loads of things trying to kill you but you have a climate to die for (pardon the pun) and amazing trails to explore and ride ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
???? remember it well when I lived in Queensland for a year. However, you may have loads of things trying to kill you but you have a climate to die for (pardon the pun) and amazing trails to explore and ride ?
Hahaha yeah i’m In Sunny Queensland “”Beautiful one day, perfect the next”

The risks are high, but the rewards are great ?

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Don’t often ride without a full face of some sort on but as for open face helmets I rate the Smith Forefront.
AEB2B024-5633-4926-9A00-30B0A6BE06B5.jpeg

I think I have a bit of a problem when it comes to helmets (as in I can’t stop buying them ?) but my Smith is the longest owned lid to survive in my collection. I’ve actually just ordered this yesterday even though I have very little use for it. But it’s the carbon weave that seduced me, it looks fast ??
2B3551C0-CD87-454B-9016-AC54D39A51B9.jpeg

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Don’t often ride without a full face of some sort on but as for open face helmets I rate the Smith Forefront.
View attachment 5165

I think I have a bit of a problem when it comes to helmets (as in I can’t stop buying them ?) but my Smith is the longest owned lid to survive in my collection. I’ve actually just ordered this yesterday even though I have very little use for it. But it’s the carbon weave that seduced me, it looks fast ?? View attachment 5164
Be warned about the 100 %: I have a 58cm head and the XL (meant for 61-62cm) is very snug.

myskovon

Aug 12, 2018
Leeds
Be warned about the 100 %: I have a 58cm head and the XL (meant for 61-62cm) is very snug.

Oh.... well not much I can do now but at least it’s free returns. Pretty sure it’s going to come up small based on what your saying as I’m a 57 and went for the Medium.

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
I'm really interested in Bell helmets and the POC Tectal. Not sure if i should get a helmet with a removable chin guard which can be also worn also as a normal MTB helmet.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bell Super DH MIPS or Super 3R MIPS? What is the difference between these two?

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
The Super DH has full DH standard certification, the dual shell MIPS, supposed to be quite a bit sturdier than the 3R and have much improved fit for most people. I have one on order, should get it on Monday. Bit of chat about it over on the Proframe thread in the review section

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I have a Bell 2R and Super DH, used to take off the chinbar when i ride manuals...but ever since i got my ebike, the increase speed/airflow means i dont bother anymore, i wear the full FF.

i seen too many accidents on supposedly "safe" and "easy" trails....3 of the worse accidents i have seen have been on very slow speeds....I wear FF everywhere i go, even down to the shops... ATGATT

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
The Super DH has full DH standard certification, the dual shell MIPS, supposed to be quite a bit sturdier than the 3R and have much improved fit for most people. I have one on order, should get it on Monday. Bit of chat about it over on the Proframe thread in the review section
you wont regret it...i have two 2R's, got my DH few weeks ago, its quite a improvement.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I'm really interested in Bell helmets and the POC Tectal. Not sure if i should get a helmet with a removable chin guard which can be also worn also as a normal MTB helmet.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bell Super DH MIPS or Super 3R MIPS? What is the difference between these two?

the Super DH is Bells latest helmet with full DH certification and MIPS version 2. I have two 2Rs, and got the DH recently, get the DH, its slightly heavier..but the improvements make up for it.

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
As I have 'found' that I live 2 miles from Gawton (downhill) I 'invested' in a full-face (I know you said you already had one Bongofish) and got one of the new 661 Reset helmets from CR - absolute bargain at about £45, and comfy for me - it will see far less use than the 'normal' helmet, so the price was very attractive - it was on offer when I got it as well....

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Well my Super DH turned up today. The fit is great, it feels really well made and is dripping with the latest tech. Really like the go pro mount that I will use for an exposure head torch. Glasses fit easily which i believe isn't the case with the Proframe. This really does seem one lid to do it all. Not ridden it yet but think I'm going to really like it

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
I tried on both today, the POC Tectal and the Bell Super DH MIPS.
The POC, which was my first choice before even having tried one became suddenly my least favorite. Maybe its just my head shape or my small head, but the XS/S needs some really tight adjustment until it properly fits me. Also I had the feeling that the helmet is missing some inner lining.

The Bell Super DH MIPS feels so much better on my head, although i felt a little pressure on two spots on the back of my skull. When the chin guard is mounted, its kind of difficult to put it on since its really tight. Without the chin guard its pretty easy.

So for me the Bell Super DH seem like a perfect choice for an allrounder helmet.

Probably going to buy one in black ;)

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I found the same but the pressure points at the back of the skull were removed by lowering the adjustable cradle (under one of the internal pads). That makes it even tighter to put on with the chin guard fitted though but it feels bloody secure once it's on!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I wear full face for everything now, Fox proframe for most riding, it's so well ventilated you don't overheat even on a regular bike in the middle of summer. For DH I wear a troy Lee d3 carbon, which I'll probably upgrade to the mips version next time I ride Canada or the alps.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
The Go Pro mount on the Bell Super seems spot on with an Exposure too. I also have a Kask Rex with the integral mount but with that you can't tilt the torch far enough back to get the angle right when descending so you have to lift your head to compensate sometimes, which is a PITA.

20180930_100345.jpg

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
joining this thread cause I will put a new helmet under my Christmas tree this year :)

Since my actual trail helmet looks like shit and got some hard hits anyway I think I will get a convertible.

Favorite atm is the Bell Super DH since I don't like the Giro Switchblades' covering the cheeks in trail mode as well. And the Jakkyl&Hyde got some pretty bad test results.
Of all the fullface helmets the fox proframe would be my choice right way.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I got this in today. It sets way to hi up on my head. sending it back, Going to try a poc next. Anyone out there tried the poc helmets ?

A mate had a poc lid for a while, liked it. Suspect partly because it was a bit different.

Anyone fancy the new tld enduro ff?

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
I bought the Bell Super DH MIPS and i am super happy with it. ?
Fit and look is great and felt comfortable today for a 2 hrs ride (without chinguard).
Only issue I have, my Rudy project glasses don’t really fit underneath the helmet and are kind of surfing on my nose ?
Probably should get some new glasses which fit the helmet and sell the Rudy.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Fun
I bought the Bell Super DH MIPS and i am super happy with it. ?
Fit and look is great and felt comfortable today for a 2 hrs ride (without chinguard).
Only issue I have, my Rudy project glasses don’t really fit underneath the helmet and are kind of surfing on my nose ?
Probably should get some new glasses which fit the helmet and sell the Rudy.
Funny enough just waiting on delivery of one after using a Met Parachute for 3 years. Can't believe the number of dents in the Met - it's definitely paid for itself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles