Let's talk helmets...

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
So I have a problem
I can be a bit vain, but can't we all. I always wear a helmet but look like a complete tit. I just look like a mushroom headed pilock as I have a fairly thin face. Love wearing my full Face as actually looks alright. But for casual rides in woods and fire roads it's too much. Any suggestions on any helmets that actually look descent and don't make heads into mushrooms? I've bought 3 different helmets online so far and everyone makes me look mushroom headed. Maybe a road bike helmet would be better as if I ever do anything proper off road I go full Face anyway....

Any recommendations?

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
So I have a problem
I can be a bit vain, but can't we all. I always wear a helmet but look like a complete tit. I just look like a mushroom headed pilock as I have a fairly thin face. Love wearing my full Face as actually looks alright. But for casual rides in woods and fire roads it's too much. Any suggestions on any helmets that actually look descent and don't make heads into mushrooms? I've bought 3 different helmets online so far and everyone makes me look mushroom headed. Maybe a road bike helmet would be better as if I ever do anything proper off road I go full Face anyway....

Any recommendations?
What you tried, it really does depend on the shape of your head - best thing to do is go try them on if you can. I have issues getting helmets to fit have anarrow head as well - I found the POC Tectal fits me well but not cheap!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Have you thought about just not wearing one? Casual rides, XC and road I don't wear one at all as here's very little risk of ever hitting my head.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
@Gary haha I bet there's going to be some comeback to that. And to be honest it's if cars hit you and you go into there windscreen etc etc. I have first hand experience with this on motorbike. Also I've first hand experience of slow falls on mountain bike and still rolling off and glad I had my helmet on as it had scratches even after a slow fall. I'll be honest i have considered it but not worth the risk ?

Last edited:

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
one of the best thing about Emtbing is that we can wear helmets that would normally "cook" us on a normal bike - now that it is <20 deg I am wearing helmets party to keep my head warm. I can even wear elbow and knee pads without melting too.... So no excuse for not wearing a helmet

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't need an excuse. I'm an adult. It's entirely my choice to wear what I deem appropriate when I ride my bikes.. Just as I respect anyone's choice to wear one I'd expect the same respect from others regarding my choices.

Let's not start any arguments about it though, eh?

Tunny

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
May 29, 2018
Birmingham
20180908_192925.jpg

I second the Giro Switchblade. I bought mine last week from CRC ready for the rideout at Brechfa yesterday and it's very comfortable. My first full face helmet and i thought it could get irritating throughout the day but not once did i feel like i needed to take it off. The chin guard detaches just like the Bell Super 3r and you also get a spare top peak with Go-Pro camera mount attached too which is a nice touch.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Nice. Same colour as mine, just minus the scars...

Get some spare visor screws, they sometimes snap off if you decide to test the impact absorbing abilities of the helmet.

Tunny

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
May 29, 2018
Birmingham
Nice. Same colour as mine, just minus the scars...

Get some spare visor screws, they sometimes snap off if you decide to test the impact absorbing abilities of the helmet.

Will do cheers for the heads up.

How's your bruising healing? ??

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I find myself wearing a road helmet more often than not recently since I'm not racing hard downhill - they are slightly less mushroomy.

I like the Bell road ones as they have a good selection of graphics :) There are even some with small visors so they might look less "roadie" but not tried them: Road | Bell Helmets

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Really like the IXS open face lids , Iam too old to care about looking daft , and I’ve got a cupboard full of lids but my ixs is my favourite for fit and looks. In fact 3 of us all have them now after we had a try on session .
Met parachute is the nicest open face lid I’ve tried. Very light and airy but probably not heavy duty enough if your doing really dodgy stuff.

Sep 13, 2018
Leominster
So I have a problem

Any recommendations?
Fox Metah!

Rocketman

Aug 11, 2018
Nottingham
I just got my first helmet....POC Tectal and as I am a skinflint I got it in white because it was cheaper than black. My wife and daughter ripped the p!S5 for a while calling me a stormtrooper etc. but when I put it on they said it actually looked really cool. Whilst I cannot take them seriously it is the closest I can come to a recommendation with my limited experience.

Brainless

Sep 14, 2018
Bradford
Got a brand new, never worn 661 full face , cant for the life in me wear it. Must admit ive tried
a boat load of lids and finally settled for my troy lee which has earned its stripes in saving my nugget umpteen times to the point it should now be replaced.. I got my nickname Brainless because I used to ride without a lid until that one time that I thought was never gonna happen happened... never been without a lid since. Now in the hunt for a decent two piece at least can put chin bit on if I think need.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Now in the hunt for a decent two piece at least can put chin bit on if I think need.
I've got the Giro Switchblade which is a great lid but I wouldn't bother with a 2 piece again as the chin piece never comes off these days.

Brainless

Sep 14, 2018
Bradford
I've got the Giro Switchblade which is a great lid but I wouldn't bother with a 2 piece again as the chin piece never comes off these days.

Not seen the switchblade, was looking at uvex jakkyl but chin piece looks like ya could fit a 29 wheel in it.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Cratoni C-Maniac (99€, had to buy it in a physical shop).
View attachment 4237
380gr ! It's not a true downhill helmet but it's very comfortable and good enough for the speed I'm going to.

I used that 50€ B-twin Aerofit900 for almost 4 months: View attachment 4238
All the B-twin I tried weren't comfortable but this one I could fall asleep with.
More protection were needed tho, as I'm slowly gaining speed and confidence in rough terrain.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Cratoni C-Maniac (99€, had to buy it in a physical shop).
View attachment 4237
380gr ! It's not a true downhill helmet but it's very comfortable and good enough for the speed I'm going to.

I used that 50€ B-twin Aerofit900 for almost 4 months: View attachment 4238
All the B-twin I tried weren't comfortable but this one I could fall asleep with.
More protection were needed tho, as I'm slowly gaining speed and confidence in rough terrain.
One of the helmets I bought was that cratoni c maniac and I have to disagree. Fitting is terrible for me and it feels so flimsy...there is a reason it's so light but not sure how much it would save your noggin.when something's priced to good to be true....you know the saying. Think I paid £69 from amazon

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
As riding an ebike moves much more air through the helmet on the climbs due to the increased speed and I have a tendency to part with my bike every now and then I always wear my full face now when riding my ebike. It just gives me one less thing to worry about.

This obviously is what I prefer and it suits me personally, others are free to do as they wish.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
In Australia it’s been law to wear a bike helmet for about the last 35 years. I commute to the trails and with the Magpie season in full swing it’s pretty handy wearing one. The Plovers and Butcher Birds also have ago from the air. Then there’s pretty much every driver on the road trying to kill ya, and pedestrians that seem to just want to walk straight at ya. If none of that gets ya, there is always a stray Roo wanting to jump ya or a Brown snake or red bellies hiding waiting to strike.
Pretty much, everything tries to kill ya, so I wear a MET Lupo so at least me skull is protected.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles