Let's talk helmets...

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Really tempted to order a giro switchblade but the price is hefty for a MTB helmet. Even at £154 like elive seen. Alsonearky everywhere is sold out. Are they bringing a new range out ? Just don't want to buy and then a better version hit the shelves.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
So ordered my giro switchblade. Only issue is it's not in my favourite colour...had to go for the green and black as everywhere sold out and the remaining places with black in stock was selling for £60-£100 more. But still excited to get it. One of my main reasons for purchase is I'm hoping now we are getting to winter it will keep ears warm as well ? haha.

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
The Bontrager i have in this pic is by far the slimmest helmet i have owned or tried on but it's at the expense of side impact protection.

After a crash where the side protection barely saved my head from a rock, i bought a Bell 3R (mega mushroom on me), Giro something or other (not as bad at the 3R) and a POC Tectal race (the slimmest of the 3, my favourite). I wanted the switchblade aswell but they only had the fluro in stock so i passed on it.

I think if you wear glasses or goggles it helps make the helmet appear less big.
MTB Stromlo Glen1.jpg

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
anyone tried out the Troy Lee Designs A1 or A2 MIPS? As for the Poc Tectal Race (their version of MIPS) cant seem to find it in stock anywhere in M or L sizes

Dawnrazor

Patreon
Jun 11, 2018
Somerset
I wear full face for everything now, Fox proframe for most riding, it's so well ventilated you don't overheat even on a regular bike in the middle of summer. For DH I wear a troy Lee d3 carbon, which I'll probably upgrade to the mips version next time I ride Canada or the alps.

I second this - now wear my FOX Proframe everywhere.

clay walker

Sep 14, 2018
north georgia
anyone tried out the Troy Lee Designs A1 or A2 MIPS? As for the Poc Tectal Race (their version of MIPS) cant seem to find it in stock anywhere in M or L sizes
I haven't tried the TLD, I did order a 6 D and sent it back. just didn't fit my head. I have the poc tecta race and love it. Fits great and true to size. I got mine from amazon.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I saw the ProFrame for £135 recently, gutted I didn't buy it at that price as its now gone back up to around £180.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Personally I find the ixs rs to fit me the best. It's all about fit with the helmet, everyone is a different shape. I've had 4x of these now. Change colours when change bikes lol. Tried over a dozen helmets this still fits best with best coverage. Plus you can get almost all the parts as spares, including peaks to customise. Pads whilst the other sweaty set is washing etc.

I sense a new one coming. Black/blue

D

Deleted member 1275

Hi Guys. Ive been on the hunt for a medium, black Giro Switchblade for a while but with no luck. Just now I received an email from Amazon informing me they are in stock. Not a good deal to be honest but life’s too short to be overly concerned about a few extra £ as much as it pains me to get screwed over! REALLY pains me to be fair but this is the lid I want so just hoping no unusual sizing! My Met and Giro road lids are spot on so hopefully the Switchblade will be ok. Check out Amazon now guys if you are looking for one too. (No affiliation to Amazon or Giro by the way)! ??

D

Deleted member 1275

@Doomanic I do want a removable chin guard to be honest, buddy. My local trails are so laughable that having a fill face lid would embarrass me no end!! Very good to hear that your chin bar only comes off for washing though ? was the fit as you thought it would be? Im a 58cm noggin and went for medium but no lbs had one for me to try.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My local trails are so laughable that having a fill face lid would embarrass me no end!!
Fair enough.
was the fit as you thought it would be? Im a 58cm noggin and went for medium but no lbs had one for me to try.
Yes. I bought from CRC, so it was free to return if it didn't fit.

D

Deleted member 1275

Thanks mate. Easy to return to Amazon for me too. Hoping no need to though. Thanks for quick response to my question.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Personally I find the ixs rs to fit me the best. It's all about fit with the helmet, everyone is a different shape. I've had 4x of these now. Change colours when change bikes lol. Tried over a dozen helmets this still fits best with best coverage. Plus you can get almost all the parts as spares, including peaks to customise. Pads whilst the other sweaty set is washing etc.

I sense a new one coming. Black/blue
On sale at CRC for £30 although think this is a slightly different model

Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yeah, that's the XC model. It's got a little less coverage and protection, plus a smaller peak. They have had the RS model on sale before. I managed to sell my second hand one and get one in the sale for like +£5 more. Rude not to change colour :)

I quite like the rare Camo IXS RS:

293472_00_d.jpg

Topham

Nov 2, 2018
North Wales
So I tried a large switchblade On today in tweaks and it felt so loose. Yet when I tried on giro helmet on I was a large.

Did people find they had to go down a size in the switchblade?

D

Deleted member 1275

So I tried a large switchblade On today in tweaks and it felt so loose. Yet when I tried on giro helmet on I was a large.

Did people find they had to go down a size in the switchblade?
I’m not sure I fully understand the question as the Switchblade is a Giro helmet!?:sneaky:

However, I’m pretty much a medium in all lids Ive tried and bought and the Switchblade is no exception. Could it be the slightly different MIPS sensation that you are feeling? Not saying it is as only you can say if the fit is good or not of course.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
not all manufacturers helmets are sized the same or will even be the same shape inside. It's always best to try on any helmet before you buy. Even one's you've owned previously as brands can change their design of a popular model but keep the same name.

Topham

Nov 2, 2018
North Wales
I’m not sure I fully understand the question as the Switchblade is a Giro helmet!?:sneaky:

However, I’m pretty much a medium in all lids Ive tried and bought and the Switchblade is no exception. Could it be the slightly different MIPS sensation that you are feeling? Not saying it is as only you can say if the fit is good or not of course.

So I tried on the giro Montaro in large. Was a perfect fit. My Specialized lid is also a large. So I figured I would be about a large. I then tried on the giro switchblade in large and it felt very loose. Inside was very spacious and hollow, even with the extra fat cheek pads in and the adjustment at the back done fully tight. Which I thought was strange considered the Montaro which is also giro fitted perfectly.

Unfortunately they didn’t have a medium switchblade to try on. I’ve red reviews which also state that they are large sizings.

I was more wandering if anyone had to go a size smaller than normal for a switchblade due to it being a large size?

I didn’t want to order online and go through the hassle of waiting and then sending it back hence popping to a store local to me that had one in.

GeraldBass

Nov 21, 2018
United State
I think helmets play a vital role in saving us from the unnecessary injuries or from the accident.
Wearing helmet should be strictly follow by the people.

D

Deleted member 1275

I agree that a good well fitting helmet can save us from unnecessary head injuries but I still am of the opionion that it should be an informed choice and a personal assessment of risk as opposed to yet more draconian and enforced laws.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
I took the plunge and ordered 2 fox proframes for me and the mrs’s
After wearing it for a days riding I’ve got to say it’s unbelievably comfortable to wear never even noticed I had it on.
Visibility is excellent no blind spots
I would imagine for winter riding a skull cap would be needed to keep the cold out.
My only gripe would be snot ejection on the fly ,on cold days when your nose runs for the first few runs ? and you need to shut one nostril and eject from the other , the plus side is the magnetic fastener which you can undo with one hand lift helmet tilt and eject
Overall I’m super impressed with this helmet also it looks cool as f#ck ?

D

Deleted member 1275

So I tried on the giro Montaro in large. Was a perfect fit. My Specialized lid is also a large. So I figured I would be about a large. I then tried on the giro switchblade in large and it felt very loose. Inside was very spacious and hollow, even with the extra fat cheek pads in and the adjustment at the back done fully tight. Which I thought was strange considered the Montaro which is also giro fitted perfectly.

Unfortunately they didn’t have a medium switchblade to try on. I’ve red reviews which also state that they are large sizings.

I was more wandering if anyone had to go a size smaller than normal for a switchblade due to it being a large size?

I didn’t want to order online and go through the hassle of waiting and then sending it back hence popping to a store local to me that had one in.
Did you find the right size for you in the end mate?

I was allowed (Santa gave it to me to try on when it arrived and I then it was taken away again for redeployment on a random day at the end of December) to try mine on again. I do see what you mean that it does seem ‘bigger’ and more roomy but for me at least I would still choose a medium, like all my lids (motorcycle, mtb and road).

D

Deleted member 1275

After wearing it for a days riding I’ve got to say it’s unbelievably comfortable to wear never even noticed I had it on.
I would imagine for winter riding a skull cap would be needed to keep the cold out.
My only gripe would be snot ejection on the fly ,on cold days when your nose runs for the first few runs ? and you need to shut one nostril and eject from the other , the plus side is the magnetic fastener which you can undo with one hand lift helmet tilt and eject

Very nice looking helmet. I tried one too but unfortunately I couldn't pull off the level of coolness it demanded!! ? went with a much more subdued switchblade (in plain black)!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I love my Proframe, and like you my only gripe, as per all full faces is snot ejection :p

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
So its not just me that has the runny nose when riding. I hate it, it doesnt run when not riding just when outside having fun (Unless I have a cold).... I'm not alone.... at last... no more thinking im the only one :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles