Lets talk drivetrains!

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Wondering what everyone's thoughts were for optimal characteristics of a eMtb drivetrain.

I have 10 or so rides on my RM Altitude PP and have yet to use the 3 tallest gears. The RM rides a bit different from my last eMtb which was a Tazer with the EP700 motor. On the Tazer I would occasionally use the top 3 gears.

I'm intrigued by the idea of wide ratio 9 speed such as the box components Prime 9 but the reviews arent very favorable.

Currious if I'm the odd one for thinking eMtb drivetrains should have fewer gears spaced further apart and be overly built.

Has anyone tried running a 10 sp shimano zee or even a DH drivetrain?

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
If you're not using the top 3, you either live in a very flat area or the front ring is too small (more likely)
34T chainring and sram 12 speed GX cassette.

Southern California isnt flat but also nothing compared to Washington state either.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
34T chainring and sram 12 speed GX cassette.

Southern California isnt flat but also nothing compared to Washington state either.
Maybe up it to a 36 then, I almost immediately put a 36t on my Heckler.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When testing bikes, I tried an 8-speed set-up, supposed to be the finest thing since sliced bread for emtbs, fitted only to top of the range bikes on account of it being so expensive.

I didn't like it! The gaps between gears were too big and I felt as though I was never in the right gear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles