Talk me in to one...

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Starting to have some doubts about buying am emtb now. I'm sold on it for climbing and big days out but I have enough hobbies that big days out will be relatively few and there is only really a couple of big climbs where I ride locally.

I don't do trail centres, I'm far too old for enduro stuff and DH so generally it's local tracks and trails round me. Yes for a few big days out they seem the way forwards but the more I think of my current use, they might be wasted on me....tell me I'm wrong.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Starting to have some doubts about buying am emtb now. I'm sold on it for climbing and big days out but I have enough hobbies that big days out will be relatively few and there is only really a couple of big climbs where I ride locally.

I don't do trail centres, I'm far too old for enduro stuff and DH so generally it's local tracks and trails round me. Yes for a few big days out they seem the way forwards but the more I think of my current use, they might be wasted on me....tell me I'm wrong.
Your wrong, treat yourself to one if you can afford it.
With the riding you're doing you don't have to spend a fortune.
I have just been riding local boring fire roads since lock down, I went out on my acoustic bike the other day as my boys don't have ebikes.
All I can say is, if ebikes weren't about now, I would probably not ride, I found it tedious!

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I found getting an ebike made riding more enjoyable and fun and makes me want to go out riding more.
When I had a normal bike I was more reluctant to get out on it.
I wish I lived close enough to ride proper tracks and trails.

Last edited:

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
Don't bother then?

But I think you're going to....only you can decide.

Sounds like you are looking to justify it to someone else, am I right

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
All I can say is, if ebikes weren't about now, I would probably not ride, I found it tedious!
Totally agree with Paul.
I work long hours, bike is in the van with me at work and straight to my local trails after. I'm fecked already from work but I know the E will make it easier on climbs. If wasn't for my ebike would of been straight at home in front of the telly.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area

See about getting a demo or a rental for a day or a weekend and see what you think after that

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Starting to have some doubts about buying am emtb now...

Yes for a few big days out they seem the way forwards but the more I think of my current use, they might be wasted on me....tell me I'm wrong.

You can't actually do a very BIG day out on an Emtb with just one 500wh battery.

I've no idea what the point in your question is at all nevermind having any interest in talking you into anything. whatever that might be.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Totally agree with Paul.
I work long hours, bike is in the van with me at work and straight to my local trails after. I'm fecked already from work but I know the E will make it easier on climbs. If wasn't for my ebike would of been straight at home in front of the telly.

My problem is at least two other hobbies I spend time doing (Motorbikes and Golf) but since lockdown I've got right back in to mtb'ing and really enjoying cause I'm unable to do my other hobbies.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia

Like you i have debated the cost over use value for some time and have similar riding trends. Also like most i am riding more now than i normally would as i can work from home, but at 46 my knees just cant take it anymore so i have set myself a budget and decided to get a good quality second hand eBike.

After looking at what you get for your money I have placed an order for a brand new Haibike, blowing my budget and am currently waiting for delivery and can not wait, i work hard, long hours and have realized i cant take it with me.

There are some very good deals on the market atm but personal preference and budget will dictate which way you go, but you have taken the time to join a eBike forum your mind is probably made up.

Is it bike choice your hesitant about?

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Is it bike choice your hesitant about?

No, I'm pretty much nailed on the bike I'm after, just a matter of which spec be it up of down.

On the price of things, it is what it is, I'm not overly fussed with the cost, I'm just struggling to see the advantage of getting one given the type of riding I do, which I don't believe would change much if I got an e bike.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
I would always spec up, just in-case your riding does change. The bike i have ordered is far more capable than i am as a rider, but i liked it and liked the spec up from the model below.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Ye I've always had a tendency to have too much bike though never overly long travel, that would just be a waste of energy and at my age I need all I have.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’m loving mine, as you know. After a 6 year break, due to a bad back, and several other health issues, the only way I can get back into mtb’s properly is with an ebike. I was out in the forests today, on some old routes I used to do, and had an absolute ball.

No regrets whatsoever from me. Just do it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm just struggling to see the advantage of getting one given the type of riding I do, which I don't believe would change much if I got an e bike.
On your normal bike:
Do you enjoy dull climbs?
do you enjoy long climbs?
Do you enjoy steep climbs?
Do you enjoy climbing when the terrain is hardgoing?
Do you enjoy dull sloggy repetitive (soft terrain/fields/long grass etc.)flatter parts of your rides ?or any other parts where you're probably knocking your pan in but still only going at 8-10mph tops?

if the answer to all of these qusetions is "no" then an Ebike has this handy FAST FORWARD feature for all of those situations.

Do you ever put off going riding on an otherwise good day for it because you're tired from riding the previous day(s)?
Do you ever ride with far fitter riders?

I think you can work out where I'm going with those two questions?

My next point is subjective, and will depend how you ride but for me Emtbs are fun to ride but not quite as fun as a normal bike so if you love your bikes handling, by all means buy an emtb to compliment it, but not to replace it. buying a superlight EMTB will bridge this gap but at the expense of Assistance level (torque/power).

Last edited:

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
I’m loving mine, as you know. After a 6 year break, due to a bad back, and several other health issues, the only way I can get back into mtb’s properly is with an ebike. I was out in the forests today, on some old routes I used to do, and had an absolute ball.

No regrets whatsoever from me. Just do it.

Out today, did 20ish miles and only one climb that I'd say an ebike would be great for, the rest was comfortable unassisted, which is why I'm questioning myself about spunking 4k.

I get where you're coming from with your back, I don't have any issues stopping me riding a "normal" bike. I'm also sure I'd absolutely love one just no sure it's necessary.

Getting a shot of one tomorrow/Friday.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
On your normal bike:
Do you enjoy dull climbs?
do you enjoy long climbs?
Do you enjoy steep climbs?
Do you enjoy climbing when the terrain is hardgoing?
Do you enjoy dull sloggy repetitive (soft terrain/fields/long grass etc.)flatter parts of your rides ?or any other parts where you're probably knocking your pan in but still only going at 8-10mph tops?

The answer is obvious but as I said in my original post, I rarely have to do any.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. None of the answers are "obvious"
I have absolutely no idea what you enjoy or where you ride or who with from anything you've said in any post here.

I rarely have to do any.
any what?

Reading?

or replying to questions?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My problem is at least two other hobbies I spend time doing (Motorbikes and Golf)

Most people I know in this situation move onto Bike-Golf. You have your e-bike and a 7 iron. It's normally also played with a luminous ball and in the dark to make it more entertaining and fit around some Golf Clubs somewhat limiting regulations.

The idea is to never stop, you swing your 7 Iron whilst on the move in a style like a cross between jousting and polo. It removes the tedium of Golf, which is generally a nice walk spoilt with interruptions and at the same time hugely improves your balance and riding skills. There are no handicaps. The winner is the person whom is the fastest round all 18 holes. Each shot taken adds 1 minute to your overall time. You may only stop once for each hole, to remove your ball from the hole. The flag may be removed, but only in a ride by flag removing.

Only eco mode is allowed on the greens - we're not disrespectful animals.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Most people I know in this situation move onto Bike-Golf. You have your e-bike and a 7 iron. It's normally also played with a luminous ball and in the dark to make it more entertaining and fit around some Golf Clubs somewhat limiting regulations.

The idea is to never stop, you swing your 7 Iron whilst on the move in a style like a cross between jousting and polo. It removes the tedium of Golf, which is generally a nice walk spoilt with interruptions and at the same time hugely improves your balance and riding skills. There are no handicaps. The winner is the person whom is the fastest round all 18 holes. Each shot taken adds 1 minute to your overall time. You may only stop once for each hole, to remove your ball from the hole. The flag may be removed, but only in a ride by flag removing.

Only eco mode is allowed on the greens - we're not disrespectful animals.

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 18.37.16.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Long climbs.

Which was only ONE of the things I asked about.

Even slight rises become piss easy on an emtb compared to a normal bike.
And ALL ascent becomes less effort. Even slight rises. meaning you can hold a higher speed for longer. often turning the most dreary bits of undulating or slightly uphill singletrack etc. into fun 15mph singletrack.
or 30 if you're that way inclined.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On a serious note, one of the great things about EMTB's, is that once you have one you will find every excuse you can to go out on it, and will find yourself using it way more that you anticipated.

I just went for a 45 minute 8 mile ride, riding up 900ft and 2 miles to my local trails, doing 10 loops of my favourite mellow lockdown approved one,, then back home. No stopping.

No way I would ever be able to do that I my normal MTB, but on an EMTB you can make use of every opportunity.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
On a serious note, one of the great things about EMTB's, is that once you have one you will find every excuse you can to go out on it, and will find yourself using it way more that you anticipated.

I just went for a 45 minute 8 mile ride, riding up 900ft and 2 miles to my local trails, doing 10 loops of my favourite mellow lockdown approved one,, then back home. No stopping.

No way I would ever be able to do that I my normal MTB, but on an EMTB you can make the use of every opportunity.

As someone who has two near brand new motorbikes, plays to a 4 handicap at golf and in normal times has a full time job, I'm not so sure I will ride it more, it's an expensive mistake to make if I don't.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles