Let’s talk about PERFORMANCE ebikes

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
The kind of ebikes wich range, comfort, all rounder water bottle fitting and even price don’t matter. This about the ebikes you would choose to race and set a clock.

As far I know (or I think I know ?) these are some (full motor power)

Lapierre GLP2
Pivot Shuttle
RM Powerplay
Whyte E
Norco VTL
Santacruz
Canyon Spectral ON
Intense Tazer
YT Decoy
Orbea Wild
Mondraker Crafty

Im based on specs and linkagedesign leverage ratios. Weight and trust on reviews, users and even brand own statement about the ebike. But I want to made clear they are supposed because to me is impossible ride all.

Discuss amigos. You can add or take off the lis and what an e-performance means to you, or you own experiences and feeling trying them. I know also there are different trails and scenarios so let’s imagine a mix or if you prefer try to fit them on their natural enviroments.

Merry CHRISTmas!

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
I tell you why. Levo dont have an appealing geo, but overall suspension is not enough progressive based on linkage analysis. Even the Kenevo. Whyte and Norco LT ebikes are more on the “performance” side
As I’ve always suspected overpriced and underspeced

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Race in what context?

for mostly downhill i'm sure someone with actual talent unllike myself could make my whyte e180 rs fly down a hill but the sheer weight of it has to be a bigger issue when you would actually try to use it in something like EWS with uphill stages.

For casual use i can't fault it on the trail. I can get it up to about 16/17mph on the flat but any speed above that requires exponentially more effort to overcome friction/weight caused by the tyres + overall bike weight to the point of not wanting to bother. On something like sherwood pines (not much elevation gain) i was about 37min vs 47m on my analogue bike. I gain huge chunks on the few uphill sections but i reckon i can hit closer to 20mph on the flat on a non e bike. Cannock chase on the other hand i was able to smash my previous times because not only was i substantially faster on the longer climbs, the suspension gave me the confidence to really attack the downhill too, it was still crap on the flat sections :LOL:

For me everything on a bike is some level of compromise, you have to get the best compromise for the setting that it will be used in most often.

Last edited:

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
The kind of ebikes wich range, comfort, all rounder water bottle fitting and even price don’t matter. This about the ebikes you would choose to race and set a clock.

As far I know (or I think I know ?) these are some (full motor power)

Lapierre GLP2
Pivot Shuttle
RM Powerplay
Whyte E
Norco VTL
Santacruz
Canyon Spectral ON
Intense Tazer
YT Decoy
Orbea Wild
Mondraker Crafty

Im based on specs and linkagedesign leverage ratios. Weight and trust on reviews, users and even brand own statement about the ebike. But I want to made clear they are supposed because to me is impossible ride all.

Discuss amigos. You can add or take off the lis and what an e-performance means to you, or you own experiences and feeling trying them. I know also there are different trails and scenarios so let’s imagine a mix or if you prefer try to fit them on their natural enviroments.

Merry CHRISTmas!
Tracey Mosley seems to do well on the Trek Rail.

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Use the serach function, and honestly RESEARCH yourself on what bike u want. To many posts like these

Mark45acp

Jan 19, 2021
West Sussex
I recommend the Liteville301CE Pro - EP8 motor 630 wh battery - top grade carbon frame . Syntace parts and wheels, XT drive and brakes Magic Marys and the excellent 8 pins dropper

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

PHO_BIKE_90_RE_Freeride-E-XC-2018-90-re_%23SALL_%23AEPI_%23V1.png

You'd be an idiot to buy any bike with a Shimano motor if the facade of "racing" against other Ebikes was of high priority in your reasons for purchase. So that halves your list.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

You'd be an idiot to buy any bike with a Shimano motor if the facade of "racing" against other Ebikes was of high priority in your reasons for purchase. So that halves your list.
Love the e racing or hate it, I’m interested to see what happens with the EWS ‘power’ stages with the rider on the EP8 bikes vs Bosch. Obvs the Bosch riders have a big power advance.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Rob Rides EMTB

Oh... I'd be interested enough to watch for sure.. But to me the results and titles that go along with EMTB racing are completely pointless because of the unfair playing field.
I'd also definitely watch road racing again if there were no doping regulations.

I don't actually hate anything about bikes or racing them certain components and frames are mildly frustrating tho. ?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Oh... I'd be interested enough to watch for sure.. But to me the results and titles that go along with EMTB racing are completely pointless because of the unfair playing field.

I agree with this to a point. And 100% appreciate your view based on a history of racing normal bikes.

But I see the e-bike racing more like motorsport. It creates competition for both man and machine. So its about the riders and more so the bikes. Which hopefully will only improve the bikes through development and competition between the manufacturers.

I just see it as a completely different genre to the normal bike racing, so pointless comparing it to the normal EWS series. And should be taken as such. IMO

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I see it as a big publicity gain for the manufacturers and an easy money maker for it's organisers.

it's neither motorsport or cycling.

The only way to make it fair from a cycling perspective would be if all bikes had the exact same motor and tuning options and even then there would be a small advantage increase for lighter riders. the only way to make it a motorsport would be to remove the pedalling input. it's not like we have a flintstones category in motor racing.

g3dF.gif

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
It's always going to split opinions being somewhere between both disciplines. Either way, on a personal note I find it interesting and hope we see the benefit of better tech / bikes down the line.

Flintstone cat would soap box would it not!? :LOL:

Can race anything dude :cool:

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks

I have one of those and can confirm it would win a race against my emtb.
My friend has one of these also, they are superb fun to ride and the 5-40mph is pretty much instant. On the right trail though I can gap him if I'm in front from the start, but only on the really narrow twisty bits, everywhere you cant even smell the fumes.. ;-)...lol.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If my interpretation of what the OP is asking, which is that which EMTB's have been designed prioritising performance over practicality, I think that the only EMTB that has been designed with "racing" in mind, is the La Pierre GLP, which was designed with significant input from Nico Vouillioz to be what his idea of the best handling EMTB he could ride in EWS-E , and where they deliberately went for the smaller external battery to aid weight placement and keep weight down.

IMO most other EMTB's compromise in design are more related to the brand transferring their existing suspension and frame designs over to EMTB's and finding that adding a battery into the mix means compromising on having room for a water bottle etc etc.

Of course many EMTB's are based off regular Enduro bikes, so may well have had some sort of racing potential in their thinking in their DNA - however if I was racing a Trek Rail for example, pretty sure I would be using the small internal battery rather than the bigger one it comes with to keep weight down.

Nico's bike:

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 09.05.08.png

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

I have one of those and can confirm it would win a race against my emtb.

I have a couple KTMs also and I know a few trails where my Pivot Shuttle would definitely be faster! On many technical downhill segments a regular bike is going to be the fastest for sure. It would be fun to see how fast one of the hard enduro/WESS pros could get down a World Cup DH circuit. My guess it that the MTBs beat them by quite a bit.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Love the e racing or hate it, I’m interested to see what happens with the EWS ‘power’ stages with the rider on the EP8 bikes vs Bosch. Obvs the Bosch riders have a big power advance.

...and like most forms of motorsport, finding the small advantages (read: cheating) will be pervasive...

I really think that only a "spec series" can work at present. Either the same bike or at a minimum the same battery/motor.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
If EWS-E races were limited to a maximum battery capacity and of a duration long enough to deplete said battery when using high power modes then it would become more competitive across motors/batteries/makes.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Why would it favour certain motors? They'll all be very similar in terms of efficiency, so the ones being used to give more output would have empty batteries before the finish. It will become an energy management race then, just like any endurance event, be that running, cycling or Le-Mans.

As it is it very, very much favours a more powerful motor with a light battery.

Any sport involving a rider or driver favours a lighter one. EWS-E will already does anyway.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Why would it favour certain motors? They'll all be very similar in terms of efficiency, so the ones being used to give more output would have empty batteries before the finish. It will become an energy management race then, just like any endurance event, be that running, cycling or Le-Mans.

As it is it very, very much favours a more powerful motor with a light battery.

Any sport involving a rider or driver favours a lighter one. EWS-E will already does anyway.

I encountered this when racing Levos on an E8000 equipped bike. They have a higher point where assist cuts off (prior to the regulatory limit), thus had a significant advantage on fast open areas. I pedaled my ass off to try to make up the differential. Almost pulled it off. Almost. ;-)

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I encountered this when racing Levos on an E8000 equipped bike. They have a higher point where assist cuts off (prior to the regulatory limit), thus had a significant advantage on fast open areas. I pedaled my ass off to try to make up the differential. Almost pulled it off. Almost. ;-)
If everyone was limited to, say 360 Wh batteries, for example, the powerful motors would have to dial it back then or they'd get mugged at the end.
They have fuel capacity limits (used to be 120Litres, now it's 100Litres) in endurance racing for the same reason. "yes you can have 600hp if you want sunshine but you'll lose all that speed advantage sat in the pits doing fuel stops". Except with e-bikes it would be "you're on pedal-power only at the end". :)

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
If everyone was limited to, say 360 Wh batteries, for example, the powerful motors would have to dial it back then or they'd get mugged at the end.
They have fuel capacity limits (used to be 120Litres, now it's 100Litres) in endurance racing for the same reason. "yes you can have 600hp if you want sunshine but you'll lose all that speed advantage sat in the pits doing fuel stops". Except with e-bikes it would be "you're on pedal-power only at the end". :)

Yup. The race I did was one hour of all out effort. Even then, the Levos with a 700 battery vs 504 had a distinct advantage. I brought it home in the red zone!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles