Shop talk - 2021 Commencal

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Starting this thread so people can share their experiences working on their bikes and tips/tricks they have learned along the way. Learn from each other’s mistakes and successes.

Here is my story.
Got my bike yesterday and planned to swap out the brakes right away to get maximum resale value for the code rsc’s that came on it. To do this job I know at the very least I would need to remove the battery. Should be simple enough, right? Well here is where things started going downhill. When I was trying to follow the picture instructions on the bottom of the down tube to remove the battery with the 4mm allen, I heard snapping sound and this was the result.
0CD51D2F-1281-4927-87A0-4A1F6224069F.jpeg

This is the mechanism that sits in the top of the down tube and I believe is meant for easy release of the battery. Snapped this piece off, and when I went to go replace the battery in the bike, to my surprise it snapped in place, but now I’m not sure how to get it back out. Because that 4mm bolt just spins.

Another thing to note is that if you plan to drop the motor, which I recommend when swapping a rear brake, you will need to remove the chainring. And to do that, you need a special tool which I do not have.
629A6D49-14EA-43F7-B342-F1B58FEFB5FC.jpeg

36E7E35A-FCD3-43AF-8A6E-BD716555C6C1.jpeg

I was finally able to get the rear brake routed with the motor in place, and my battery is secure in the bike for the moment, so hopefully I will be able to ride it this weekend without any issues.

Still have a few things I want to do before riding it, but got too frustrated after this ordeal to want to work on my bike anymore.
3FB0368D-09B1-4A06-A5F8-FA1568C51AF8.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On the e8000 you can just undo the front motor bolts and then swing it down to give access, looks like you could do the same?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Oh man, I have the Saint Brakes here ready to be mounted. But after seeing your epic quest, I think I will ask my LBS to do this :D
You can normally just pull the new hose through with the old hose. You can either use a barbed connector which screws into both ends or you can make your own by just cutting the head off a small screw. Alternatively you can tape them together carefully, if using the tape method it's sometimes a good idea to also tape on a very thin piece of nylon cord to the bit you're pulling through with, so if the hoses do separate, you can still pull the string through and try it with the string pulling the new hose - and another bit of string in case it comes off again. Remember to pull and push the hoses at the same time - you can lube the hoses too if you're concerned.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
You can normally just pull the new hose through with the old hose. You can either use a barbed connector which screws into both ends or you can make your own by just cutting the head off a small screw. Alternatively you can tape them together carefully, if using the tape method it's sometimes a good idea to also tape on a very thin piece of nylon cord to the bit you're pulling through with, so if the hoses do separate, you can still pull the string through and try it with the string pulling the new hose - and another bit of string in case it comes off again. Remember to pull and push the hoses at the same time - you can lube the hoses too if you're concerned.
You’ve done this before on a Commencal ebike? The routing under the battery and over the motor is tricky enough I don’t think there is any way tape would work. Never seen anyone is a barbed connector or tiny screw before.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Update on my original post: Commencal sent out a warranty claim to shimano for the broken part. Will let you know what happens next.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Never seen anyone is a barbed connector or tiny screw before.
Nope. Not on a Commencal, so it maybe impossible.

This kind of thing :

Fingers crossed on your replacement part.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
When setting up my tires tubeless I decided to toss on this Hutchinson on the front. I run a DHF 95% of the time, but thought I’d try something different since it was super cheap. Anyone have any experience with these?

B8A01873-939C-498E-998B-A8EB6F2EA57E.jpeg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Update on my original post: Commencal sent out a warranty claim to shimano for the broken part. Will let you know what happens next.
Update, Got a call from Commencal and they said Shimano approved the claim and a new part would be sent out under warranty, but unfortunately they don't have these parts in stock anywhere and have no timeframe when they will be arriving.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
You’ve done this before on a Commencal ebike? The routing under the battery and over the motor is tricky enough I don’t think there is any way tape would work. Never seen anyone is a barbed connector or tiny screw before.
I’ve replaced the dropper post hose twice - first time to install a Reverb, second time a warranty replacement of the Reverb.
As the cables/hoses run over the motor, it’s virtually impossible to do this without partially removing the motor as described. As everything is tight getting something through is difficult. To ease up the process I connected both new and old hose with a shifter cable and the wrapped tape around the connection. By pushing and pulling I finally succeede, but only with the motor detached from the front 4 bolts.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Newest upgrade to the bike. EDC LITE TOOL

I honestly like the specialized SWAT tool better if it would have 1 size smaller allen. This is quite hard to remove from the stem and then you also have to remove the cap from the multi tool.
But I like how this uses the star-nut and I don’t think it should ever rattle.

E88AF6F6-28CC-4673-98ED-FD26BEC15DA3.jpeg

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
whats the tq setting for that head set? and is it 2x pinch bolt?

it seems like having a sturdy headset/stem on these heavy ebikes, especially if your wheels are off the ground often, is important on a single crown setup. I am not sure the integrated swat/edc tool stem setups would be weaken that part of the bike or not.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Also here is my chain lube setup. Velcro strap that I think I’ll store on my frame so it’s always accessible.

View attachment 44927

View attachment 44928

Well first wtf are you talking about chain lube setup? must be missing something here...

But on the velcro, don't put that on an unprotected part of your frame, velcro will scratch, or the dirt that gets in between the velcro and frame will become abrasive and scratch up your paint. ask me how i know... :(

And yes to the brake line replacement above. I would have kept the old lines or got one of those double ended barbed fittings to attach a the new hose to the old brake line and pull it through. Hopefully you went with some nice MT7's!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well first wtf are you talking about chain lube setup? must be missing something here...
Some people use a velcro strap, stick, allen key .. to lock a crank to the chain ring - to make lubing easier.

Personally, I just push the bike back, lube a section, push it back, lube a section... bla bla .. until the chains lubed.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Newest upgrade to the bike. EDC LITE TOOL

I honestly like the specialized SWAT tool better if it would have 1 size smaller allen. This is quite hard to remove from the stem and then you also have to remove the cap from the multi tool.
But I like how this uses the star-nut and I don’t think it should ever rattle.

View attachment 45166
The EDC tool is very hard to remove. I put a light grease on the rubber o-ring and it makes it much easier.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa

And yes to the brake line replacement above. I would have kept the old lines or got one of those double ended barbed fittings to attach a the new hose to the old brake line and pull it through. Hopefully you went with some nice MT7's!
How do you lube your chain? Spin your cranks backwards and tell me what happens.

Thank you for the warning, I will remove the strap from my bike and the times I inevitably forget to lube my chain before leaving the house just use a different method.

As far as I’m aware brake lines are not universal between any mountain bike brands. Bike is now fitted with Saints.

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
Crank arm popped off while I was in the air during a jump at my local bike park. It happened late in the day so I had got a bunch of runs in already. Landed on my right ankle with my back tire. It's super sprained, maybe broken. Getting x-rays now.
PSA tighten everything on your new bike.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Rookie Q but the main plug connector from battery to motor... Is it just a push fit or should I be expecting to hear a 'click' if I pushed hard enough? Just doesn't feel very secure??

PXL_20201124_135709155.MP.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles