commencal 2021

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
for those swapping to aftermarket bars, I ran the wire from display to left thumb button through 2 holes I drilled in the stem. cleans up the wiring vs running the wire under/over/around the stem & you can spool up the excess wire inside the stem between the 2 holes. stem warranty voided!

hc_1615046846374.jpg

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Well, you guys warned me. The big top cap bolt fell of and then the threads inside the crank arm stripped. Going to look for something better to replace the e13 stuff with, but not sure what is compatible or even in stock.

And unfortunately this happened right before a sizable double which I cased super bad and severely bent my handlebars.
View attachment 55006

I ended up torquing the cap to 8nm and the pinch bolts to 20nm. Very very high numbers, I slowly raised the numbers until my torque stripe didn't move after every single ride. Good luck in your search, last I looked it was impossible to find any cranks in stock anywhere that fit that aren't e13. I'd eventually like to get a pair of shimano cranks and get rid of the pos e13.

for those swapping to aftermarket bars, I ran the wire from display to left thumb button through 2 holes I drilled in the stem. cleans up the wiring vs running the wire under/over/around the stem & you can spool up the excess wire inside the stem between the 2 holes. stem warranty voided!

I drilled two small holes in my bars instead of the stem... Yolo

Last edited:

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Yeah, I wanted to get some basic Shimano XT cranks or similar for the EP8 motor, but not seeing them available anywhere in the US.

Bars are easy enough since I’m not picky. Will just run the cable on the exterior and secure with electrical tape if needed. I already have a million things clamped to my bars, what’s an extra cable. Lol

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Renthal bars+stem here but a bit different on how the cables are running. I got the KS Westy as when I changed the brakes the original remote broke. Then I got the Baas SpiralBand to clean up the cables and they run together with the brake cable.

Regarding the cranks, sucks man. Hope you're well dude. I want to replace them as well, but currently, there are no other options available. When I got the bike, I let my LBS check them out, lock them properly with extra lock tight, and Dyna key them properly to I guess 18Nm and the cap by hand.

I got now around 700ish KM on the bike and have scheduled service at my LBS to check all bolts and cables and just basic service the bike again.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-07 at 12.01.18.jpeg

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
I think that looks great. Currently using Shimano bands but will order a spiral kit ASAP. Nice.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also rechecked torque on crank arms / caps and marked with my wife’s makeup pen thingy (no idea wtf it is...). Going to order a proper torque pen but this will give me peace of mind in meantime.

Reactions: rb.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
The one bright side is I do have a normal bike that I can ride until I find some replacement cranks. (Initial search is not going well). But going back to a bike without a motor is a struggle. Feels so slow going uphill.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
What are the thoughts on sizing this bike? I am seeing the reach number is 20mm less than the nonebike equivalent but the wheelbase is the same.

Should you size up to get the longer reach?

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
I’m on the small side of L (about 69-70” tall).

My size L (27.5) does feel big - but not too big. Issue for me is 175mm dropper doesn’t fit down all the way into the frame, and I think would feel even better to have to seat slammed. So 180mm OneUp dropper ordered...

I like the reach, also like the room when standing - which I tend to do a lot because this bike makes you want to hammer. I did put a 32mm stem on as I run that on all my bikes.

Hope this helps.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
What are the thoughts on sizing this bike? I am seeing the reach number is 20mm less than the nonebike equivalent but the wheelbase is the same.

Should you size up to get the longer reach?
I would not size up on an ebike unless the reach is so small it’s not comfortable for you to pedal. An ebike by nature will be more stable because the added weight, so if anything have a bit smaller bike will help it feel more playful.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I am also around 69"-70"

For me the medium is perfect size. Large would definitely seem too big for me imo. I prefer a smaller bike though when possible. The wheel base is still absolutely massive compared to my non ebike that is also a medium.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Yeah, I wanted to get some basic Shimano XT cranks or similar for the EP8 motor, but not seeing them available anywhere in the US.

Bars are easy enough since I’m not picky. Will just run the cable on the exterior and secure with electrical tape if needed. I already have a million things clamped to my bars, what’s an extra cable. Lol
Update:
After contacting my local bike shop they said cranks for an EP8 motor from Shimano were on back order until late August at best.

Keep those bolts tight people!

duplex

Nov 22, 2020
orange county, ca
Well, you guys warned me. The big top cap bolt fell of and then the threads inside the crank arm stripped. Going to look for something better to replace the e13 stuff with, but not sure what is compatible or even in stock.

And unfortunately this happened right before a sizable double which I cased super bad and severely bent my handlebars.

I had mine delivered in February. Two rides in, the left crank fell off, inside of the crank arm stripped as well. Commencal recommended I reinstall the damaged crank arm and to a higher torque spec than what was provided in the e13 manual which is supplied with the bike. There was absolutely no way I was reinstalling a damaged part that is critical to the function of the bike. I purchased Shimano XT crankarms separately and haven't had an issue since. The reports as early as November that have been published on this forum notwithstanding, I find it deplorable that there is a persistence of this issue. There was absolutely no documentation or warning provided to the consumer that such a catastrophic failure occurs at the torque spec at which it came from the factory. If it is as simple as increasing the torque values on the crank arm retaining bolt and the pinch bolts, then this suggests that there isn't an adequate quality control measure taken place at the Colorado distributorship upon receipt from their overseas manufacturer. At the very least, a written and/or verbal warning to caution all owners is warranted.

DFR

Jan 21, 2021
Nijmegen
Same crank issue here aswell. Lost the left crank of my Meta power TR during a first ride, cap is missing.. Before riding I checked all bolts and retorqued some. I didn't knew the torque spec of the crank, but gave it some additional torque just to be certain. I wasn't aware of this issue and torque specs, but I know now :). I have contacted commencal and E13, but no response yet.

I also noticed the rear axle was mounted completely dry and way over-torqued. I was barely able to remove it from the wheel/bike. Bad production/quality issues I recon.

IMG_20210307_154859.jpg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Update:
After contacting my local bike shop they said cranks for an EP8 motor from Shimano were on back order until late August at best.

Keep those bolts tight people!
Update:
Both Commencal and E*13's (In the USA) customer service has gone above and beyond to help my get my bike back together. Super quick responses, super helpful, and I believe my bike will be back up and running shortly.

But this should not happen in the first place... extra Loctite going on this time as well as increased torque on the pinch bolts.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I had mine delivered in February. Two rides in, the left crank fell off, inside of the crank arm stripped as well. Commencal recommended I reinstall the damaged crank arm and to a higher torque spec than what was provided in the e13 manual which is supplied with the bike. There was absolutely no way I was reinstalling a damaged part that is critical to the function of the bike. I purchased Shimano XT crankarms separately and haven't had an issue since. The reports as early as November that have been published on this forum notwithstanding, I find it deplorable that there is a persistence of this issue. There was absolutely no documentation or warning provided to the consumer that such a catastrophic failure occurs at the torque spec at which it came from the factory. If it is as simple as increasing the torque values on the crank arm retaining bolt and the pinch bolts, then this suggests that there isn't an adequate quality control measure taken place at the Colorado distributorship upon receipt from their overseas manufacturer. At the very least, a written and/or verbal warning to caution all owners is warranted.

It is fortunate you where able to find some shimano cranks! You probably got the only pair.

JoRo

Jan 30, 2021
Finale Ligure

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
I just ordered the Shimano FC-M8150 (XT cranks) 160mm from BikeInn. Have had good luck with them in past and shipping was much more reasonable. Also a shop in CA selling them on eBay for $99 if you don’t mind 165mm.

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
As much as I love the pedal strike clearance of 160s, if your battery dies and you have to climb out of somewhere they are torture..like trying to climb a hill on a 55 pound kids pixie bike.
I also wonder if you'd get more power out of the motor with longer cranks because longer cranks increase your torque and the motor in theory multiplies your torque. I'm not cat 2 fit at the moment/ever again but I have yet to notice the display indicating that I've maxed out the assist level. Then again times where I'm likely to max out the assist I'm probably not looking at the display. And it does feel like I hit a max assist ceiling on super steep uphills in boost.

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
in other news I finally received my off the bike charging adapter ordered from Japan in September via surface shipping to the USA! super duper extra unobtanium part. it works.

PXL_20210312_044350753_1.jpg

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
As much as I love the pedal strike clearance of 160s, if your battery dies and you have to climb out of somewhere they are torture..like trying to climb a hill on a 55 pound kids pixie bike.
I also wonder if you'd get more power out of the motor with longer cranks because longer cranks increase your torque and the motor in theory multiplies your torque. I'm not cat 2 fit at the moment/ever again but I have yet to notice the display indicating that I've maxed out the assist level. Then again times where I'm likely to max out the assist I'm probably not looking at the display. And it does feel like I hit a max assist ceiling on super steep uphills in boost.

That's funny, I feel the opposite. Going back to back between my regular bike with 175 cranks and the commencal with 160 cranks, obviously I feel the extra weight of the bike with the power off... maybe it's due to my short legs but the shorter cranks feel more natural and it also feels easier to keep a smooth cadence. Maybe it's just the geo of the bike but also with the shorter cranks my hip and back pain is basically non existent even on longer rides.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire

View attachment 55006
Just had my e thirteen cranks replaced under warranty, I’m running a Bosch motor and the crank arms wouldn’t stay tight and where simply bending under pressure, they are a piece of junk , now running cubes on brand hopefully they will be ok

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
Until my Shimano cranks arrive, 6-7nm on the cap, and 16+ nm on both pinch bolts (alternating from 12-14-16 from inner bolt to outer when tightening). Also marked cap and bolts so have visual reference if they start to loosen on the trail. Too many instances of fellow MTBers getting hurt when the e13s have come off. Not gonna risk/deal with it.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Guys, we have an employee from E 13 active on this forum, that has answered our questions regarding this issue. They have written up a document on this and also discussed with us on this forum what their current recommendations are. If you have any questions you can try and ask them on that thread and tag their user. See the links below:

Their official documentation for this product/issue:

The thread on this forum related to this topic:

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Until my Shimano cranks arrive, 6-7nm on the cap, and 16+ nm on both pinch bolts (alternating from 12-14-16 from inner bolt to outer when tightening). Also marked cap and bolts so have visual reference if they start to loosen on the trail. Too many instances of fellow MTBers getting hurt when the e13s have come off. Not gonna risk/deal with it.
Yep, exactly this. Anyone reading this who hasn't done it yet with the e13 cranks should. It can be dangerous otherwise.

I am also waiting for my Shimano cranks to arrive in the meantime.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles