Shop talk - 2021 Commencal

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Rookie Q but the main plug connector from battery to motor... Is it just a push fit or should I be expecting to hear a 'click' if I pushed hard enough? Just doesn't feel very secure??

View attachment 45362
I had to push it properly, but you can push it till the bottom. It will not click, or at least not in my case (y). I used a tool to push it down. But any kind of object you can use.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
I had to push it properly, but you can push it till the bottom. It will not click, or at least not in my case (y). I used a tool to push it down. But any kind of object you can use.
Yeah it fits a spanner so used that to push down best I could?? see how it goes! Thanks for getting back to me ??

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Rookie Q but the main plug connector from battery to motor... Is it just a push fit or should I be expecting to hear a 'click' if I pushed hard enough? Just doesn't feel very secure??

View attachment 45362
I’m not sure it will click, but it does lock into place. May need to get a bit more slack from the cable so it can easily go all the way down.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
No click when I put mine on.
Mine clicked eventually. I had to put my finger round the back of the cable and pull towards me a little whilst pushing the plug down. The push down connection has a small locking mechanism which triggers to prevent the plug coning out.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Crank arm popped off while I was in the air during a jump at my local bike park. It happened late in the day so I had got a bunch of runs in already. Landed on my right ankle with my back tire. It's super sprained, maybe broken. Getting x-rays now.
PSA tighten everything on your new bike.

Just limped back to my truck after the same thing just happened to me but I was on level ground when it happened. Was the left crank... Commencal says e13 is saying to torque the pinch bolts to 16 instead of 14... Lost my cap and I think I sprained my ankle since it is all swollen now... Gonna be a fun drive home with a clutch :(

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
Just limped back to my truck after the same thing just happened to me but I was on level ground when it happened. Was the left crank... Commencal says e13 is saying to torque the pinch bolts to 16 instead of 14... Lost my cap and I think I sprained my ankle since it is all swollen now... Gonna be a fun drive home with a clutch :(
Haha, yeah I had to drive back from the bike park. Was not fun. You can see a pic of my foot in the other thread we all use here:

VX10

Nov 5, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
Anyone installed bike battery operated lights to their EP8 yet? I read somewhere that you had to activate the light power outlet from the motor through E-Tube, but I can't find any option in the app. There is a "lights" option in SC-EM800 display, but it just beeps and goes nowhere perhaps because I don't have a light or wiring installed yet. Thinking about hooking up my Essential with a Lupine SL X or SF torch to brighten the day. From what I've researched the cable might be a bitch to wiggle through the frame and possibly requires a partial motor removal.

VX10

Nov 5, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
Well ok, I bought a Lupine SL SF bike battery operated light for the bike and finally got it working. The EP8 motor or Shimano has turned the light power output _off_ by default and I had to take the bike to a friendly neighborhood bike service and get it done. They lacked some new (well Di2 old) adapter and cables for the connection and I had to wait another week. The procedure itself is easy and quick I should guess. They just hook the bike up to a PC and Shimano configures the light power output _on_ through remote access on their software.The lamp reserves some amount of power from the battery, so in case you run dry you'll see yourself home. I'm not sure how I feel about it but let's say it's ~5% (120 mins of 16W) and not such a deal breaker. The lamp itself is stellar.

E-Tube Project does not have the light output configuration anymore for the EP8 (firmware 4.1.1). Some hacker software might have or atleast STUnlocker has the option, but the EP8 firmware version is not compatible and the light option does not save.

Mucky Nuts MugGuards on the bike too. Long on the front, short on the back.

MetaLupine.jpg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Thanks for the update on the light. For me personally I’d rather use a light that I can just strap on an external battery pack and never worry about it draining my bike battery

Dec 26, 2020
USA
If you were going to mullet one, would you and which? Meta Power 29, the 27 (sx), or the TR? I'm pretty set on the TR, as most of my local trails are XC type, no crazy long, glorious DH runs like you see on YouTube. The TR seems to be the perfect bike for that, lower travel and 29er but I still do enjoy being playful while trail riding, which I why I would consider swapping in the smaller rear wheel. Also I do live pretty close to a bike park, Mountain Creek in NJ, which I might visit a few times a season, I wouldn't want to be under biked but then I don't think I need an Enduro level bike for the rest of the trail riding I'll be doing.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
If you were going to mullet one, would you and which? Meta Power 29, the 27 (sx), or the TR? I'm pretty set on the TR, as most of my local trails are XC type, no crazy long, glorious DH runs like you see on YouTube. The TR seems to be the perfect bike for that, lower travel and 29er but I still do enjoy being playful while trail riding, which I why I would consider swapping in the smaller rear wheel. Also I do live pretty close to a bike park, Mountain Creek in NJ, which I might visit a few times a season, I wouldn't want to be under biked but then I don't think I need an Enduro level bike for the rest of the trail riding I'll be doing.
Personally with ebikes I don’t think having less travel makes it better for xc type riding or more playful. It’s still just as heavy, and it will run out of travel sooner than a normal bike.

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
2020 SX , was hearing an awful noise that sounded like the battery was flopping around in the frame.
Opened it up on the trail , nothing all secure .
Noise endured and got worse , stopped again and started checking all the fixings on shock mount , headset still couldn't find the source.
Then I checked the motor mount bolts . Bang ! they had all worked loose .
Now part of my monthly check , worth looking at yours once in a while .

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
You can normally just pull the new hose through with the old hose. You can either use a barbed connector which screws into both ends or you can make your own by just cutting the head off a small screw. Alternatively you can tape them together carefully, if using the tape method it's sometimes a good idea to also tape on a very thin piece of nylon cord to the bit you're pulling through with, so if the hoses do separate, you can still pull the string through and try it with the string pulling the new hose - and another bit of string in case it comes off again. Remember to pull and push the hoses at the same time - you can lube the hoses too if you're concerned.
I tried that but on my 2019 Meta Power, the rear brake hose goes through a very close fitting foam tube while in the downtube ( I suspect to stop rattle) and there's too much friction for anything other than the brake hose. I removed the foam hose and was then able to thread the hose and reapply the foam to the new brake hose.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Nope. Not on a Commencal, so it maybe impossible.

This kind of thing :

Fingers crossed on your replacement part.
I have one of those that arrived 8 weeks after I needed/ordered it!

Dec 26, 2020
USA
Personally with ebikes I don’t think having less travel makes it better for xc type riding or more playful. It’s still just as heavy, and it will run out of travel sooner than a normal bike.

I ended up ordering a Meta Power 29er! Delivery wasn't scheduled until June, which kind of sucked but I randomly went on the site today, saw a heritage green, Large one, which was new, at least to the US site. It was $200 more (they told me due to a rotor upgrade) and available in FEBRUARY! I immediately called them and got my order switched from the Sand color I was getting to this Green one. They said that shipment is due late Feb but it's still better than June.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Guys, question. I've been this weekend through mud and rain on my Meta Power Team 29'er. After coming home and washing the bike (not with a power pressure), but with a bit of water and Muc-Off. When I tried charging the bike a couple of hours later, the light on the charger was blinking. So obviously I wanted to take the battery off and charge it off the bike. I found that my battery is stuck and I have no idea how to take it off. I took off the plastic guard, and even with the sticker, following the exact steps(4mm Hex in the right direction) I wasn't able to take the battery off. I remembered that when the LBS changed my brakes, they told me the battery is stuck. Is there any way in which I can remove the battery to figure out why it is stuck? Tried to call Commencal today, but I think they were closed due to a Bank Holiday in Andorra (Shrove Monday Google says).

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
I'm sorry - I don't know how to free the stuck battery. Might recommend making sure charge port on bike is fully dry - might be cause of blinking charger. Same thing happened when charging wife's Canyon (same Shimano port/charger).

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I'm sorry - I don't know how to free the stuck battery. Might recommend making sure charge port on bike is fully dry - might be cause of blinking charger. Same thing happened when charging wife's Canyon (same Shimano port/charger).
No worries, it’s a pretty simple operation.
On the top of the downtube you will find the two screws which holds the upper battery mount. Removing these two will disengage the battery. In case i doesn’t fall out you may want to remove the plastic battery cover which is screwed on to the battery in order to be able to get a screwdriver or the like in to push away the mount.

By the way - the Shimano charge port sucks - the construction is not well thought through on a mountainbike who often have dirt and mud splashed all over.

0FEDC4FE-6B1B-46FC-870A-2269A478777D.jpeg

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Update*

After having an amazing call with Commencal Tech Team, I was able to remove the battery and understand exactly what was broken :). I didn't have the same issue as the User RB had. For me, the same part is broken, but in a different place. Making it impossible to remove the battery the "regular" way. Commencal gave me also this website, where you can find all the bikes and exploded views. COMMENCAL TECH

My bike is a bit different than the one mentioned above by Trial-Niels. I don't have the screws on the top part of the tube. We have 3 screws near the battery which need to be removed. Only after this, I was able to remove the battery. And yes, the charging port could have used a rubber O-Ring to keep water out :D Wouldn't have been rocket science to add one, perhaps I will make one for myself.

I will keep you guys updated on the status.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 10.29.16 (1).jpeg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Update*

After having an amazing call with Commencal Tech Team, I was able to remove the battery and understand exactly what was broken :). I didn't have the same issue as the User RB had. For me, the same part is broken, but in a different place. Making it impossible to remove the battery the "regular" way. Commencal gave me also this website, where you can find all the bikes and exploded views. COMMENCAL TECH

My bike is a bit different than the one mentioned above by Trial-Niels. I don't have the screws on the top part of the tube. We have 3 screws near the battery which need to be removed. Only after this, I was able to remove the battery. And yes, the charging port could have used a rubber O-Ring to keep water out :D Wouldn't have been rocket science to add one, perhaps I will make one for myself.

View attachment 53154
That’s a bummer. Hopefully Commencal is able to get you a new piece quickly.

Are you able to charge your battery away from the bike? I did not see any way to do so, unless they have some special adapted.

Stiggy_rider

Feb 4, 2021
Cali
So silly question, does anyone have a pic of how Commencal runs the brake lines for the Euro/MX style layout i.e. front brake on the right side. Want to confirm I need to pull the hoses back through the head tube and move them to the opposite side. Tried just swapping lever sides and I don't like how the cables and hoses sit.

Also second question, anyone upgraded their rear shock on the 2020-2021 SX? Debating what to run back there, sounds like Coils aren't the best due to the side load. Actually called fox and they said they don't approve either of their coils (DHX2 or Cr). Right now I am considering a X2 or the RS SD ultimate air with a megneg. **Disclaimer I have yet to actually try out the stock shock which is the RS Deluxe, but in my setup tests its way too easy to blow through travel. Will be tweaking it this weekend to see if I can dial it in, but just way to under shocked for a bike this size and for the trails I will be on.

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
Update*

View attachment 53154
I have a new 2021 tr race.

I have the same battery problem and all I heard was clicking then no more clicking.

cheers for the link. So all you did was remove the top 3 screws and the battery could come out? Does it come out so another pack can go back in or is there other parts stuck to it? I don’t mind a few bolts if I can switch packs over.

On a side note the crank arm fell offbut thankfully during the Very start of a trail before jumps so I only smashed my ankle on the spindle and didn’t stack. They Switched out my whole crankset to shimano. Have been reading arms coming off mid air and riders crashing badly and breaking ankles.

e thirteen didn’t give a shit about my case and wouldn’t warranty. The bolts were done up more than tight enough and still it came off. They have a huge quality issue which is resulting in crashes and major injuries, thank god I wasn’t hitting my usual trails otherwise I’d be proper fkd!

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
I have a new 2021 tr race.

I have the same battery problem and all I heard was clicking then no more clicking.

cheers for the link. So all you did was remove the top 3 screws and the battery could come out? Does it come out so another pack can go back in or is there other parts stuck to it? I don’t mind a few bolts if I can switch packs over.

On a side note the crank arm fell offbut thankfully during the Very start of a trail before jumps so I only smashed my ankle on the spindle and didn’t stack. They Switched out my whole crankset to shimano. Have been reading arms coming off mid air and riders crashing badly and breaking ankles.

e thirteen didn’t give a shit about my case and wouldn’t warranty. The bolts were done up more than tight enough and still it came off. They have a huge quality issue which is resulting in crashes and major injuries, thank god I wasn’t hitting my usual trails otherwise I’d be proper fkd!
It appears that in your case it should be the same. I would, however, also take off the start/stop button before removing these 3 screws. When you mount it back it makes it just a bit easier if that button is taken off.

1613831486696.png

From your words, it would appear that you have the same issue as the guy that started this thread. In my case what happened is the following. The screw as can be seen below was not turned fully in. Making the big thing turn around without any resistance. Therefore, my plastic broke as can be seen in my first picture. Commencal is discussing with Shimano Europe how to solve this issue.

1613831579435.png

Also, in my case. With the website I linked above. I was able to determine that I missed the external charger adapter for my bike. Commencal Customer Support has been amazing and has shipped this part to me together with some amazing stickers. Can't fault their Customer Service. I can only speak highly of them! Amazing actually. I have had mutliple direct sales brand "higer end" bikes. None of them had the same Customer Support which I had untill now! Good game Commencal (rock)

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
I don’t. I’m getting my SX signature Wed (tracking in real time) - will let you know if they are in my kit. First thing after assembly is too tontail

Great lookin’ bike btw!

Will be changing out bars and stem so if anyone needs pls reach out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles