Orbea Rise Sizing

GizmoSL

Dec 15, 2020
San Antonio Texas
First of all, let me say that I am not an ebike newbie, I have owned a Specialized Fattie, an S-Works SL, I currently own a Mondraker Crafty RR SL and in the quest for the ebike sweet spot, purchased an Orbea Rise M LTD that was previously ordered by an LBS.So, I got the default package, including the 125mm dropper post. I have tried hard to like the Rise, overlooking the short seatpost, and other compromises in the name of lightness. but I am having a hard time with the sizing of the bike. the steerer on the fork is way short, and I am not sure is was in the name of weight savings, or what, but it is becoming a huge problem. I may have needed an XL frame, but I have always been comfortable with an L size in the many MTBs I have purchased. I literally have to lean in with the Rise and after a half hour or so into the ride, I am really uncomfortable. There is no adjustment on the head tube at all.
There have been a few other minor issues, like the brakes sometimes are a little overmatched, and a minor encounter with a branch busted the Shimano controller, which is pretty frail and the saddle is not great.
Overall, I am a little disappointed in the overall product. And 11k? I'll stick with my heavier Mondraker, which has a first class build and components, and compared to the Orbea, is worth the stunning price tag. Take some time before you make a 5 figure decision. Light is not always right.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
don’t mean to sound off but surely you buy a frame size based on the geo of that specific manufacturer model, not just getting a size as you have had it before in other bikes? There all totally different, so maybe you did need an XL. As for the weight and price stuff I agree but then the m-ltd is ridiculously priced anyway.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I'm currently deciding if the Rise is for me or not, looking at their size chart I'm firmly in the large category, usually I'm somewhere in between medium and large so it looks like they run a bit smaller than most, in very basic terms of course...

Also, the M-LTD only comes with a 125mm dropper, to save weight I guess, which is what that particular model is all about.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
My M-Ltd came with a 175mm, but it was an XL frame - I can't remember if that was the default option or I selected it. Maybe some shops just don't choose a sensible size when ordering them, or take what they can get due to availability.

Mtbnutty

Jul 3, 2021
NorCal
I agree, the short steerer tubes on these bikes is plain stupid. On my large I had to go with a different stem and bars, both with more rise to get my riding position. With a longer steerer tube, the solution is simply couple of spacers. My other quibble is with the slack STA. Would have much preferred 1 degree less or so. To remedy this I had to replaced my dropper with one with setback. This allowed my saddle to not be slammed all the way forward.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Wanted to get some feedback about sizing here and I did read the posts above.

I'm 6 foot tall, and looking at Orbea's site - they say the L is spec'd up to 6' foot.. With the XL spec'd from 5'10"+.

My primary bike is 21 Commencal Meta TR which I really like the fitment on

It has a 490mm Reach, 618mm top tube length, and and a 78.6 degree seat tube angle.

My other bike is a IBIS Mojo 4 (27.5) in L which has 485mm Reach, 632mm top tube length, and a 76.6 degree set tube angle. For some reason, this bike doesn't work well for me at all as I have the over the bars feeling with it.

Looking at the specs of the Rise for a 'L', it has 474mm Reach, 619mm top tube length, and a 76.5 degree set tube angle. The numbers tell me that this has a smaller cockpit area than the Mojo 4.

The XL looks pretty big with its 500mm Reach, 649mm top tube length but then my mind is telling me the L will be cramped.

Would have loved to try both sizes but that's pretty hard to do nowadays.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have a large Rise am 6ft with long torso fit is great XL has stupid long seat tube height! My old bike was XL Ripley V4 500m reach & before that XL 2017 Smuggler with 483mm reach, the Ripley might of been a bit big for me! Also had Large E-Sommet before Rise, rise is great fit for me

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
6ft (182cm) and riding size L Rise.
I have long legs and arms, and use a 210mm dropper.
I would absolutely NOT want the bike any bigger than L. I think for non motorized enduro bikes it can soemtimes make sense to upsize but upsizing on an ebike is a mistake. It's already pretty stable, and what you want from an ebike is often a more playful bike rather than an even more stable bike.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
If steerer tube is bit short a simple cheap mod is to fit 150mm airshft which will increase front end 10mm as M Ltd comes with 140mm travel fork plus improve handling of bike

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Wanted to get some feedback about sizing here and I did read the posts above.

I'm 6 foot tall, and looking at Orbea's site - they say the L is spec'd up to 6' foot.. With the XL spec'd from 5'10"+.

My primary bike is 21 Commencal Meta TR which I really like the fitment on

It has a 490mm Reach, 618mm top tube length, and and a 78.6 degree seat tube angle.

My other bike is a IBIS Mojo 4 (27.5) in L which has 485mm Reach, 632mm top tube length, and a 76.6 degree set tube angle. For some reason, this bike doesn't work well for me at all as I have the over the bars feeling with it.

Went to our local Mikes Bikes here in Bay Area and they had the Rise In both L and XL.

Tried the L and it's reach definitely feels short (even it's wheelbase is the same as my Mojo 4 and that has a 27.5 wheels) and the XL too massive (stretched out, and that already has a short stem). I wish Orbea will go with a similar sizing scheme as Specialized the future (S-sizing) - S1 to S6 so for the folks in between sizes will have great fitment (S5 is my preferred size) instead of just 4 (S,M,L,XL). Such sizing also keeps the seat tube height at a minimum for max dropper post drop.

The current Specialized LEVO SL isn't using the new S sizing either (same problem) but pretty sure it's next refresh (like the 2022 LEVO's) will.

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
6ft (182cm) and riding size L Rise.
I have long legs and arms, and use a 210mm dropper.
I would absolutely NOT want the bike any bigger than L. I think for non motorized enduro bikes it can soemtimes make sense to upsize but upsizing on an ebike is a mistake. It's already pretty stable, and what you want from an ebike is often a more playful bike rather than an even more stable bike.
I'm 6ft2 185cm and have ape build. I've tried L and XL and I'm pretty sure XL is right. Still waiting for the bike to arrive. My issue is...... the stock dropper on full extend has me on the edge of the balls of my feet!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles