Orbea Rise sizing

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
Hey folks.
I'm 5'9 174cm. Have a deposit down on an Orbea Rise size M due next week. There weren't any size charts when I was making my choice (or at least I had not seen one) and the main thing driving my size choice was that I found my 2008 Stumpy size L to be be too large. Obviously that's a very different bike. Now that I've seen a chart it looks like 5'9 is slap bang in the middle of Orbea Rise size L range and at the very extreme of the M.

What are your observations on size?

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Hey folks.
I'm 5'9 174cm. Have a deposit down on an Orbea Rise size M due next week. There weren't any size charts when I was making my choice (or at least I had not seen one) and the main thing driving my size choice was that I found my 2008 Stumpy size L to be be too large. Obviously that's a very different bike. Now that I've seen a chart it looks like 5'9 is slap bang in the middle of Orbea Rise size L range and at the very extreme of the M.

What are your observations on size?
I'm 5' 7 and a half and riding a medium . Fit is spot on for me. Seatpost has plenty of adjustment to accommodate you , mine is 150 dropper and it's inserted a fair way in , I definitely couldn't have gone large put it that way . Reach feels great and I prefer a little longer reach , saddle is set fairly central . I can measure a few things if you need to know anything

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
I'm 5' 7 and a half and riding a medium . Fit is spot on for me. Seatpost has plenty of adjustment to accommodate you , mine is 150 dropper and it's inserted a fair way in , I definitely couldn't have gone large put it that way . Reach feels great and I prefer a little longer reach , saddle is set fairly central . I can measure a few things if you need to know anything

That's good to know. I appreciate the offer. To be honest, I would not know where to start with measurements!

6’1. Size Large

Cheers. You are to L on the chart what I am to size M (i.e. right at the end of the height range).
Do you feel like you are at the limit of the bike size (e.g. seat fully extended)?

I'm probably over thinking this...

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
That's good to know. I appreciate the offer. To be honest, I would not know where to start with measurements!

Cheers. You are to L on the chart what I am to size M (i.e. right at the end of the height range).
Do you feel like you are at the limit of the bike size (e.g. seat fully extended)?

Start with your old bike I guess . New bikes feel big compared to years ago

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina

I always try and ride the smallest frame as possible to be nimble, particularly on an ebike where you really don’t need maximum climbing efficiency.

SimonDee

Jan 23, 2021
Forest of Dean
I demoed a Medium Rise for a weekend. I'm 5'8" and of average proportions (!) it fitted me perfectly with the 40mm stem and the saddle about 2/3rds of the way back on the rails.

dlgis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
Had my first shake down run on my M10 today. My first emtb. What a hoot :)
Mine is a L. I’m 5’10” with 31.5” inseam. When i was considering size the long reach at 474 was a bit more than i would normally go for but the steep seat tube angle offsets that and the L size is perfect for me. A factor to consider though is the seat tube length. I only have 0.5” max before the dropper would be at it’s lowest position. So if you’re a bit shorter than me of have shorter legs it‘s this dimension that’s probably the most critical for you. Although of course you could swap out the 150 dropper for a 125, but that would be a shame.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Gutch, I'm 6' 1" and ride a 2019 Levo XL, the reach is a bit long for me and I have long arms and legs. Do you have long arms? There seem to be no Orbea dealers near the Central Coast (California) where I live.
Yes, I do have long arms. I had a Levo XL , Focus Jam2 XL, and a Decoy XL. With the reach on this bike I went with a Large. Could ride XL also.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
I’m 6ft 2.5” with 34 inside leg and ordered in XL coz of the longer reach which helps my back. Picking up the baby next week so fingers crossed it will fit like a glove ?

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I’m 6ft 2.5” with 34 inside leg and ordered in XL coz of the longer reach which helps my back. Picking up the baby next week so fingers crossed it will fit like a glove ?

You should be just fine. I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and the large fits me perfect. 2.5 more inches and I'm sure I'd be wanting an XL.

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
I think you'll be fine. I'm same height - used to be 5-10, but age makes you shrink. LOL
I have longer arms - 34-35 shirt, 31" pants, M is perfect on my Occam. My bet is sizing is the same. Dropper is perfect.

It feels about the same as my TranceE size large with 50mm riser bars. They really stretched out the ergos on the Orbea bikes.
Orbea makes a really nice bike. (y)

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
How did the M fit for you sizing wise Brixx?
Just got it this week and have only pootled in town so far. But I can't imagine handling anything larger than the M. It feels very good. To be honest it is already so big that I can't fit it in my bike store or get it out my gate without a struggle! The store was going to get me a L in to try but then sold it before I had the chance. But I'm convinced it would have been too big for me.

How about you?

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I'm 5'10" so just slightly over the suggested size chart for Medium, however I'm looking to get a Medium as it's a 29"er and I don't want it to feel too big. I can always get a slightly longer stem.

Brixx

Oct 16, 2020
London
I'm 5'10" so just slightly over the suggested size chart for Medium, however I'm looking to get a Medium as it's a 29"er and I don't want it to feel too big. I can always get a slightly longer stem.
Yep - the stem it comes with could not be any shorter!

dlgis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
Have you sat on a medium and large? At 5’10” i would definitively suggest getting to sit on a large before making a final decision. I’m 5’10” and the seat on my large came fitted slightly towards the back of the bike rather than central. I have not needed to move it forward. I find the sizing spot on for me and definitely wouldn’t want a smaller bike, but of course we’re all different shapes and with different preferences ?

basqueMTB

Feb 23, 2021
Spain
Hopefully this helps, its the sizes of our team. We get to try all the sizes so have chosen the ones we like best.

Me, 179cm -> Perfect on a L. M feels tiny. XL huge. The L fits me like a glove.
Borja, 186cm -> XL all the way. He looks stupid on the L!
Igor, 176cm -> M, he feels the L is too long for him. Standover is oK. Igor comes from racing World Cup DH back in the day and is a pro BMX´er so I alway think he likes his bikes a bit shorter that I would personally choose. He tends to size down.
Antonio, 182 -> L but he can also ride the XL. The L is the best size for him. He isn´t a speed demon but is super smooth and I reckon that is why the L is better for him than the XL.
Eñaut 173cm -> He rides the M as well. It seems to fit him perfectly.

I hope it helps a bit.

dlgis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
Yesterday I measured the distance between the top of the steerer tube and the point on top of the saddle above
where the seat post meets, on my 3 bikes. 2 bikes are medium (Capra - always felt on the small side; Whyte t-130 - about right) and the Rise, which is a large. All 3 measurements were identical, which surprised me!

JJohansson

Apr 5, 2021
Sweden
I´d like to follow up and get some advice now that I´ve decided on getting an Orbea Rise.
I´m 6'4.(192cm) Since I think I love the more manuverable feeling when riding my first thought was to get an L.
But trying to get an understanding about this I tend to leen more into actually getting a XL bike.

Would it be madness to got with an L?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I´d like to follow up and get some advice now that I´ve decided on getting an Orbea Rise.
I´m 6'4.(192cm) Since I think I love the more manuverable feeling when riding my first thought was to get an L.
But trying to get an understanding about this I tend to leen more into actually getting a XL bike.

I am 6 ft 4 and the xl fits perfectly

I would say L is to small however I have not trieda Large

dlgis

Jan 23, 2021
UK

YES!! I am 5’10” and the L is spot on for me. At 6’4” i reckon your bigger issue is whether the XL will be big enough.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
YES!! I am 5’10” and the L is spot on for me. At 6’4” i reckon your bigger issue is whether the XL will be big enough.
You are correct here before I got into to ebike I always had Santa Cruz bikes and always went XXL

its a shame that both my rise and Levo only go to xl as I would 100% prefer a xxl if they made them

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London

I’m 6’2.5 and have an XL and wouldn’t advise an L with your height. It’s pretty manoeuvrable

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles