(Another) orbea rise sizing question…

Ricardo75

Sep 18, 2021
Woking
Would really welcome existing owners thoughts/experiences of the sizing of the orbea rise.

I’m 5’9” or 1.75m tall which puts me right at the top end of the scale for a size M and therefore more within the height for a size L. BUT, based on the dimensions/geometry, the size M is more similar to bikes I either currently or have owned (albeit I appreciate that modern bikes in general are getting bigger/longer).

If you are a similar height, which size did you go for and are you happy with and would recommend your choice?

Many thanks!

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
I am 1.76 and like you, I scratched my head to decide between M and L. I own a Levo and Stumpy both Large which are great for me. Early this year, I tried a Rise M which felt fine but I finally bought a Rise L and have been riding it for 6 month, the bike feels just perfect for me (I have put a 48 mm stem and the saddle is centered). In short you are in-between and both will work fine (I know that doesn't help ;) The choice might be your riding style : if you love high speed, L might be better as more stable. Obviously the best would be for you to try the bike

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
I'm 1.75, had the same dilemma as I wasn't able to demo one, went for a medium as the geometry was very similar to my Jeffsy and I prefer a smaller frame, and it's been perfect

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
I'm 1m78, have the M size and love it. Don't test the L one ( not in stock) but I like smaller bike for better agility ( i do more technical rocks and roots trail than fast downhill). For comparison I've a Lapierre zesty 514 (2009) in M, it was a bit too small, and an haibike fullseven lt 7.0 (2019) in L and it was way too long.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
@Ricardo75 I'm the same height and have a Medium, and I would definitely not go any larger. It's possible to get confused by the cockpit dimensions, as the seat tube angle is quite upright which makes the saddle to bar distance a bit short relative to the overall size of the bike (stack/reach from BB, WB, etc.). Of course preferences are very individual, so there is no substitute for test riding both sizes if you are unsure, but I would suggest that a true demo ride on the kind of terrain you normally ride will tell you much more than a short test ride in a parking lot. A short spin in a parking lot will tell you how the cockpit dimensions fit, but unless most of your riding is sitting in the saddle on flat terrain, what really matters more (IMO) is how the bike feels when you are moving it around underneath you, which depends more on things like stack and reach relative to the BB, wheelbase and front center length, and so on.

Ricardo75

Sep 18, 2021
Woking
I'm 1.75, had the same dilemma as I wasn't able to demo one, went for a medium as the geometry was very similar to my Jeffsy and I prefer a smaller frame, and it's been perfect

That’s really interesting as I too have a Jeffsy (2016) in size M and had seen how similar the geometry is apart from the reach. That being said, I have often thought that the Jeffsy could do with being a bit longer.

In addition, I have the dropper on my Jeffsy as low as it can go and was therefore a bit concerned about the seat tube on the size L rise being longer. How have those of a similar height found the saddle/seat tube on a size L?

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
The big miss by orbea is the length of the seat tubes. They should have relocated the power switch prior to fabrication, and shortened all of the sizes seat tubes by 30mm and 40mm on the XL. Why they didn't do this when they revised the aluminum model I don't know.

Regarding sizing... I am 6'3" on an XL and I wish the seat tube were shorter. I'm running a 210mm oneup, shimmed down to 200mm. This is obviously not helpful for you. However, my wife is 5'8" in barbarian units, 173 cm in units of science and she is on a medium m20. She has the stock, oc2 150mm dropper basically slammed in the frame (5mm up). I'm confident I could fit a 180mm one up dropper in there for her, and only have to shim it down 10mm at most, if at all.

I think for me, if you are in between sizes on the rise, it would boil down to the seat tube length and your riding location/style or riding. Provided the seat tube length works for you, and you are ok with a dropper post under 170 (potentially)... then the choice is based on riding terrain and style. If you're going to be doing very fast, choppy riding through technical sections or are an aggressive rider that is going to throw the bike around when you need... then sizing up would be advisable. If you are looking to do more seated cruising/pedaling, or mid speed flow trail type of riding... then sizing down would be advisable.

The biggest advantage for me to riding a smaller size really comes down to seated pedaling performance. It can be pretty hard to weight the front tire on a longer reach bike while seated if it's at the upper end of your acceptable reach window. For example, I really like a 500mm reach on my enduro and fast paced bikes, but I like my xc bikes to be in the 480mm reach window because I do so much seated turning/pedaling. Seated pedaling/cruising is something you particularly do a lot of on an ebike, so I do think that's a reasonable thing to consider and focus on.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
@Ricardo75 I'm the same height and have a Medium, and I would definitely not go any larger. It's possible to get confused by the cockpit dimensions, as the seat tube angle is quite upright which makes the saddle to bar distance a bit short relative to the overall size of the bike (stack/reach from BB, WB, etc.). Of course preferences are very individual, so there is no substitute for test riding both sizes if you are unsure, but I would suggest that a true demo ride on the kind of terrain you normally ride will tell you much more than a short test ride in a parking lot. A short spin in a parking lot will tell you how the cockpit dimensions fit, but unless most of your riding is sitting in the saddle on flat terrain, what really matters more (IMO) is how the bike feels when you are moving it around underneath you, which depends more on things like stack and reach relative to the BB, wheelbase and front center length, and so on.

X2. I'm 5'8" and my ripmo has a reach of 458. Until recently that would've definitely been considered a large and if you read about "RAD" measurements is oversized for me but I race on that bike. I couldn't imagine riding a bike with a 474 reach.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
180cm on a large and it is fine but as bikes getter slacker they seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

My eMTB looks massive next to my MTB.

Don't understand why when average Man's height is around 180 every bike I look at that is the boundary between M and L.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I'm only 5ft5 / 165cm and I'm a bit worried about sizing. On the half dozen mountain bikes I have ever had I've always been a small/16"/40cm. However on the Rise it appears I would be a medium, which seems weird to me. Are there any riders my height who have tried the rise? Thanks.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
I'm only 5ft5 / 165cm and I'm a bit worried about sizing. On the half dozen mountain bikes I have ever had I've always been a small/16"/40cm. However on the Rise it appears I would be a medium, which seems weird to me. Are there any riders my height who have tried the rise? Thanks.

If you have had a bike you liked, think about WHY you were comfortable on it (seated, standing, climbing, descending). Look the bike up (year make model) on Geometry Geeks and see what the numbers were. If you dont know much about bike geometry do a bit of reading but for sizing the very first number i look at is reach (then seatpost length then top tube). See what a bike you liked was and see where that falls in the rise line. There is a chance it doesnt work at all for you. Point of note, dont forget to factor in stem length.

Example: I know i like a reach between 450 and 460, the Levo SL doesnt work for me due to its sizing, its either too short of reach or the reach is longer and the seatpost is so high i cant get a dropper longer than 125.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
If you have had a bike you liked, think about WHY you were comfortable on it (seated, standing, climbing, descending). Look the bike up (year make model) on Geometry Geeks and see what the numbers were. If you dont know much about bike geometry do a bit of reading but for sizing the very first number i look at is reach (then seatpost length then top tube). See what a bike you liked was and see where that falls in the rise line. There is a chance it doesnt work at all for you. Point of note, dont forget to factor in stem length.

Example: I know i like a reach between 450 and 460, the Levo SL doesnt work for me due to its sizing, its either too short of reach or the reach is longer and the seatpost is so high i cant get a dropper longer than 125.
I measured the geometry and sizing of my current bike and compared it to the rise. A medium looked right. I went to a dealer today and sat on a medium and it was right on. So I ordered an h15 in blue and grey!

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
I'm in the process of ordering an H15 but am just in between sizes. I'm 187cm tall but have a negative ape index, my arm span is only 183cm. So what should I get, L or XL?

I'll mostly ride trails and red downhills with the bike.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I'm in the process of ordering an H15 but am just in between sizes. I'm 187cm tall but have a negative ape index, my arm span is only 183cm. So what should I get, L or XL?

I'll mostly ride trails and red downhills with the bike.

Definitely between sizes... I'd say pay attention to the seat tube length and make your choice based on that. The rise has a pretty long seat tube in all sizes, but the XL in particular has a seat tube length that nearly belongs on an XXL frame. Have you ever ridden a bike with reach dimensions in the 500+ range before?

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Thanks for the feedback! I currently ride a Canyon Spectral in L which feels like a good match. I attach a file with a comparison between that bike and Rise in L.

The reach is longer on the Rise but the seat tube length is shorter...
Any comments/ insights on that?

Screenshot_20220428-184350_Samsung Internet.jpg

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
That info does help, although it doesn't make the choice significantly easier haha.

I would say that the jump in feel from your Large spectral to the XL rise will be pretty massive. Really, your Large spectral, is going to feel like a medium rise going downhill (reach/stack) and a large rise going uphill (seat tube angle/reach and effective top tube dimensions).

Said another way, the seated fit of the Large spectral, will match up well with the seated fit of the Large rise. However, the descending fit of the spectral will definitely feel smaller then the rise by a full size. My concern about you being on an XL rise, would be that your shoulder mobility may be a bit awkward and it may feel pretty foreign trying to get your hips/weight on the front of the XL.

For reference, I'm 6'3" with a +1 ape index and I'm on an XL and it's definitely a big bike. It's not too big for me, but I wouldn't be mad if my XL rise were 5mm shorter in reach, and had a 20mm shorter seat tube.

Soooooo, round about answer, I would say that you'd be pretty comfortable on a Large and it wouldn't be holding you back. The XL may fit with your saddle height, but I think you'd be pretty stretched out and I think getting weight on the nose of the bike wouldn't be intuitive for you, at least right out of the gate.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
Thanks again for valuable feedback. And you are confirming my hopes, that a Large Rise would suit me the best! :)

Kamill

Apr 20, 2022
Massachusetts
I'm 6'2" and bought an XL, had to swap out the dropper post for a 150 because with the post slammed I was still about 10mm away from where I wanted to be. Reach feels fine for me but the stupid seat tube is huge. For reference I also ride an XL Banshee Paradox and YT Jeffsy.

TKB

Apr 28, 2022
Norway
I'm 6'2" and bought an XL, had to swap out the dropper post for a 150 because with the post slammed I was still about 10mm away from where I wanted to be. Reach feels fine for me but the stupid seat tube is huge. For reference I also ride an XL Banshee Paradox and YT Jeffsy.

What's your ape index?

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Id go with a large all day long, the Rise isnt a a very “long and slack” geo wise. The reach is what mostly matters to size proportions in bike sizing imo.

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
Some interesting comments. I'm 6ft1 with 33inseam. I hate long seat tubes but do like a roomier cockpit. I've literally been umming and arring over L or XL.

I don't want to be cramped but then I also don't want to have to fit any stem over 50mm either. Help!

scourge

Oct 11, 2022
St. Louis, MO USA
Some interesting comments. I'm 6ft1 with 33inseam. I hate long seat tubes but do like a roomier cockpit. I've literally been umming and arring over L or XL.

I don't want to be cramped but then I also don't want to have to fit any stem over 50mm either. Help!
I'm the same size and have the same dilemma. It sucks not to know which is the right fit.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
For me, I'm just under 6ft w/ short legs and long torso. It wasn't until bikes got longer w/ shorter seat tubes that finally could get a bike that fit. Old geo seat tubes I'd have to go medium but bikes would be so short I couldn't pedal standing up without feeling like I was sitting over my stem. My 2018 Orbea Rallon was the first Large frame I was able to ride w/ a reach of 460 w/ a 210mm dropper slammed to the collar. I now know my perfect fit is a max ~455mm ST that has to have a max insertion of 300mm to fit a 210mm OneUp Dropper slammed which gives me the perfect raised seat height for climbing and a fully dropped saddle where I can comfortably get seat down low enough to descend and in a techy get off situation I can touch the ground with my feet. Reach wise 475-490 works depending on STA. I can adjust Stem length to fine tune the fit at that point. My Large Rise H15 fits great with a 210mm OneUp slammed w/ a 50mm stem. If the Seat tube was any longer than 457mm, the fit would have been compromised. I used to have an Evil Wreckoning that I could only slam a Oneup 180 into it since it had a shallow ST insertion so if my saddle was at the perfect raised height, it was too tall for descending, and if I set it up with perfect dropped height, climbing height was compromised. Reach wise that bike was perfect at 480mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles