Buying and sizing advice

maka12

Aug 1, 2020
Uk
Hi
i am after a new ebike and like the look of the orbea
i have narrowed it down to the following.
wild fs m20 5600
wild fs h20 5500
wild fs h10 5900
wild fs m10 6800
im leaning towards the fs m20, can someone give me there thoughts, i do trails nothing difficult,

also what size would yous recommend i have had a focus jam2 6.9 in a xl i am 6ft1 and 110kg
i prefer a larger bike i have long arms aswell.

also i hadnt heard of orbea what does the brand compare like to focus, cube etc

thanks

MartinD.

Apr 4, 2021
Halifax, UK
Orbea sizing seems to be on the small size. I’m 5’10” and with a short inside leg (31”) and the L fitted me just right and normally I would ride a M size frame.

I have an H10 and it’s bloody epic, I prefer the idea of an ally frame for longevity and the spec list was spot on (full XT) and Fox 38s. Sitting on both a Cube (Action Team 160) and the Orbea, it just felt a million-times better, plusher, and better built. it’s my first foray into EMTBs and I’m over the moon tbh.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Im 5 foot 10 and have a large wild fs, so I would say that you would be best on an XL.

The m20 is decent - but only you can decide whether you prefer it over the alu models. One thing I will say is that you can always upgrade the lower spec components to higher spec as they wear out/break over time, but its much harder to swap from an alu frame to carbon at a later date. Depends whether you place any value on the slightly lower weight and slightly different looks of the carbon frame. I havent heard anyone say that the carbon and alu versions ride differently to each other aside from the extra weight.

My opinion is that weight matters even on an ebike, so I went for carbon. I've got the mteam version - its a great bike.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
6'1" puts you into lower end of XL according to Orbea's website...

Orbea Sizing.JPG

MartinD.

Apr 4, 2021
Halifax, UK
Im 5 foot 10 and have a large wild fs, so I would say that you would be best on an XL.

The m20 is decent - but only you can decide whether you prefer it over the alu models. One thing I will say is that you can always upgrade the lower spec components to higher spec as they wear out/break over time, but its much harder to swap from an alu frame to carbon at a later date. Depends whether you place any value on the slightly lower weight and slightly different looks of the carbon frame. I havent heard anyone say that the carbon and alu versions ride differently to each other aside from the extra weight.

My opinion is that weight matters even on an ebike, so I went for carbon. I've got the mteam version - its a great bike.

Do you know how much lighter the carbon frame is?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Do you know how much lighter the carbon frame is?
I dont know for certain, but the h10 (aluminium frame) weighs 24.8kg, and the M10 (carbon frame) weighs 23.4kg, so 1.4 kg difference.

And the specs of the m10 and h10 are largely identical except for the material the frame is made from, so should be a valid way of determining the difference.

The m20 model has an aluminium back end and carbon front end, so I guess the difference will be a bit less.

Last edited:

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I dont know for certain, but the h10 (aluminium frame) weighs 24.8kg, and the M10 (carbon frame) weighs 23.4kg, so 1.4 kg difference.

And the specs of the m10 and h10 are largely identical except for the material the frame is made from, so should be a valid way of determining the difference.

The m20 model has an aluminium back end and carbon front end, so I guess the difference will be a bit less.

My son got an H10 a few months ago at a killer price. $5200 He was trying to get an M20, but they kept messing around with him (told him they had it and then another guy at the shop sold it to someone else the same day, then back and forth) and finally offered him an H10 for 20% off. So glad he got that one. It's an awesome bike and the welds on the Alu frame are the best I've seen. Beautiful! You can't even see the bead at all. If you didn't know, you would think it's a carbon frame. Even if he had to pay full price for it, I don't think $1000 more for an M10 over the H10 is really worth it to me.

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
6'1" puts you into lower end of XL according to Orbea's website...

View attachment 62702

Im 6,1 and there is no way i could get away with a large, i do however like a bigger bike anyway and the XL is an absolute beast (at full extension the dropped is a smidge high for me though), when i go back on my yonkies old Rockhopper 20" it feels like a tiny jump bike. Never had so much fun on a bike though, just get the XL. This is the RISE though not the Wild, however i dont think there will be much difference.

MartinD.

Apr 4, 2021
Halifax, UK
My son got an H10 a few months ago at a killer price. $5200 He was trying to get an M20, but they kept messing around with him (told him they had it and then another guy at the shop sold it to someone else the same day, then back and forth) and finally offered him an H10 for 20% off. So glad he got that one. It's an awesome bike and the welds on the Alu frame are the best I've seen. Beautiful! You can't even see the bead at all. If you didn't know, you would think it's a carbon frame. Even if he had to pay full price for it, I don't think $1000 more for an M10 over the H10 is really worth it to me.

That was my thinking. £900 extra (vs the M10) to save 1.4kgs and (possibly) have a frame more prone to damage didn’t seem worth it. Add in my ride weight (about 90kgs dressed, toolkit, lid etc) and it’s less than 1.5% higher sprung weight. The frames, as jka says, don’t look any different (no visible welds, hydroformed ally etc). The £300 cheaper (vs H10) M20 has lower spec brakes, shifters, shock, and uses the inferior Purion ’puter. No brainer in my book (as usual, subject to availability).

Even better with $1k off, that is a killer deal, esp at the moment.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles