Orbea Rise sizing

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
185cm here and went for the L, easier to handle (and available in 24h xD) but I am sure I can handle the XL as well.
I tend to prefer the smaller size when in between two sizes, but it is just a personal preference.

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
I’m 178cm with 88cm inseam and large feels great with 40mm stem. I have a 150mm dropper and it’s almost fully slammed, about 2cm stick up so it’s just ideal. I do ride with the seat a little lower than the most efficient height when fully up as it makes my balance easier when nipping along the easy climbs. Done 350km now and very impressed with the bike. Only thing I’ve done is add the larger shock token and added cushcore to the rear, feels fantastic.

KevORourke

Dec 2, 2020
Oldham
5ft9 (175cm) here and going to have a sizing test on a Medium tomorrow but unable to test a large as there isn’t any around by the looks of it. I’m a bit of a short arse so expect a M will be better given it’s a 29er but I am coming from a L decathlon Stilus, which does actually feel a bit cramped ??‍♂️

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
5ft9 (175cm) here and going to have a sizing test on a Medium tomorrow but unable to test a large as there isn’t any around by the looks of it. I’m a bit of a short arse so expect a M will be better given it’s a 29er but I am coming from a L decathlon Stilus, which does actually feel a bit cramped ??‍♂️
I am at the limit for the L size (185cm) but feels very funny.

What about the stylus? did you enjoy it?

eztiger

Apr 9, 2019
Guildford
I'm 183cm and ride the large.

With the steep seat tube, it feels smaller than my last bike even though the reach is a bit more. It's fine going up the steep stuff but still getting used to being closer to the bars the rest of the time.

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
Orbea ergos are somewhat stretched out. My OCCAM is a M, my TranceE is a L, with a riser stem and bar. They feel VERY similar, even the Trance still feels a little lower in front, even with the raised bars. The OCCAM has a nice upright stance to it. I did not get to try it in size L.
I'm also 5-9 to 5-10. You shrink a little as you age. LOL

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Fwiw, I’m 5’6 and I’m on the Med, most of my other bikes are also Med apart from my Nomad V4 which is large. I do have quite a large inseam for my height (32”)

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I’m the same height and yes it doesn’t feel like the biggest bike tbh. I’d be interesting to know your thoughts if you fit a different stem ?

I am keeping the stock stem. I actually moved the seat into the middle and kind of like the new compact upright posture. I don’t like the 780mm handlebar and will cut it to 760mm and change to Oneup carbon bar for added flex.

KevORourke

Dec 2, 2020
Oldham
Exactly what I'm looking at Kev, I'm 175cm on a Large Stilus looking to go for a Medium Rise so let me know how you get on/compare.

I did but a 70mm Stem on my Stilus as the cockpit felt cramped
Tried a Medium M20 Rise on Saturday. Had to have the seat slammed back but it felt ok. If you’ve extended the Stem on the Stilus then you’ll probably want to do the same on the Rise I’d imagine pal. Not sure what I thought of it, loved the fact I could lift it above my head but think I would be completely left behind with my group of EMTB riders with the reduced output so not sure it’s right for me.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Tried a Medium M20 Rise on Saturday. Had to have the seat slammed back but it felt ok. If you’ve extended the Stem on the Stilus then you’ll probably want to do the same on the Rise I’d imagine pal. Not sure what I thought of it, loved the fact I could lift it above my head but think I would be completely left behind with my group of EMTB riders with the reduced output so not sure it’s right for me.
You’d be surprised, it’s not Levo SL power, it’s plenty adequate to keep up with FF eebs and tbf, you might be waiting for them at the bottom....

KevORourke

Dec 2, 2020
Oldham
You’d be surprised, it’s not Levo SL power, it’s plenty adequate to keep up with FF eebs and tbf, you might be waiting for them at the bottom....
My usual local ride is around 25 miles circa 2500ft of climbing and usually use a mix of eco, tour and EMTB on my current Bosch gen4. Ideally I’d do that ride as a test bed to see how it reacts. Not sure I can take a £7k punt on the M10
Also depends if the RS was set to Profile 2 on the test bike ? Significantly more grunt on this setting
thats what I didn’t get chance to check. Rode it around the car park and up a reasonably steep tarmac hill. Would describe it as TOUR assistance on the Bosch.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Hopefully this helps, its the sizes of our team. We get to try all the sizes so have chosen the ones we like best.

Me, 179cm -> Perfect on a L. M feels tiny. XL huge. The L fits me like a glove.
Borja, 186cm -> XL all the way. He looks stupid on the L!
Igor, 176cm -> M, he feels the L is too long for him. Standover is oK. Igor comes from racing World Cup DH back in the day and is a pro BMX´er so I alway think he likes his bikes a bit shorter that I would personally choose. He tends to size down.
Antonio, 182 -> L but he can also ride the XL. The L is the best size for him. He isn´t a speed demon but is super smooth and I reckon that is why the L is better for him than the XL.
Eñaut 173cm -> He rides the M as well. It seems to fit him perfectly.

I hope it helps a bit.
That’s awesome that cheers mate! I’ve decided to have a demo next week with a view to buying one. The reach chart was confusing as L is 474 so if you worked out the RAD then it would be 474/2.5 and that works out 6.2ft.....my RAD is 450 or 6ft which puts me in the medium bracket but then the max M height is 175cm, not confusing at all ?

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
I'm 175cm tall which is right on the limit of medium/large, I have ordered a medium Rise based on my last bike a 27" YT Jeffsy which again I was on the edge of a medium or large, this bike fits me perfectly & the Rise been a 29" thought a medium would be a safe bet over the large. The reach on the rise is about 10mm more the Jeffsy and the standover is almost identical, but I get a bit confused over the effect of seat tube length, as the Jeffsy is about 30mm longer (according to specs I've seen on the web)
Just after some reassurance I've made the right decision.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I'm 175cm tall which is right on the limit of medium/large, I have ordered a medium Rise based on my last bike a 27" YT Jeffsy which again I was on the edge of a medium or large, this bike fits me perfectly & the Rise been a 29" thought a medium would be a safe bet over the large. The reach on the rise is about 10mm more the Jeffsy and the standover is almost identical, but I get a bit confused over the effect of seat tube length, as the Jeffsy is about 30mm longer (according to specs I've seen on the web)
Just after some reassurance I've made the right decision.

Seat tube length shouldn't have any effect - apart from how low the saddle can go.

Looking at the current 27.5" YT Jeffsy in medium (Bikes | Products | YT United Kingdom (yt-industries.com)) it almost exactly matches the Rise in medium (same head & seat angles too). But I'm guessing you might have a different version as some of what you mention doesn't sound the same?

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
Seat tube length shouldn't have any effect - apart from how low the saddle can go.

Looking at the current 27.5" YT Jeffsy in medium (Bikes | Products | YT United Kingdom (yt-industries.com)) it almost exactly matches the Rise in medium (same head & seat angles too). But I'm guessing you might have a different version as some of what you mention doesn't sound the same?
Yes mine was a 2018 model so a bit different, I went through the same dilemma when I bought that, but was totally happy with the medium in the end

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
187cm and on XL here and the reach is slightly small I have seat rails right back and putting a race face 60mm stem on as it’s just needs another 10mm.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
187cm on XL and it feels really good... I have a slightly longer upper body and coming off of an XL Kona Process 153

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
Let us know how this feels. I am 189 and similar thoughts here.
I’m 190 and have an XL. Reach is ok but could be longer just push back the seat and re-angle the bars and take out a stem spacer. Wish the seat could go down a bit further on the dropper though - there’s a 2.5cm collar which if it could be removed would make all the difference

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inside leg. In between a M and L and demoed a L which felt perfect

Exactly the same, perhaps 31" inseam. M on my OCCAM is perfect - Orbea ergos on the new bikes is pretty spread out. They are virtually the same bike, the RISE with shimano assist. A size L quite well have not been able to set the seat low enough - I have about an inch and a half exposed on the dropper post, works perfectly.

The seatpost height and reach are the biggest factors for sizing. The latter can be somewhat adjusted with a stem or bar change, but if get the seat post height wrong you can't fix that. Smaller is better, you can raise the seat. If you can't make it low enough so topping out is too high, you could always get a shorter dropper. So I suppose that is somewhat fixable too.

My TranceE is a L - seat is slammed, but just right. On full extension it's just a hair tall so I deal with it - supposedly it could be shimmed or such so it doesn't extend the full 150mm. About a thousand offroad miles has proved it pretty well.

Best to get a ride on one, or something similar, to assess the best option for those that are in between size recommendations.

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
I'm 1m78 (about 5'10'' I think?) with 32" inseam and had to drop the seat almost to the max in order to have a good position when the seat is in his "up" position. So, in my opinion, it can be a problem for somebody a little bit smaller...
Bike is M20 size L.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ve ordered an XL, 180cm but appreciate sizing smaller makes it easier to turn perhaps so will have to see how that works out, part of me is thinking maybe the FF XL would be better and the L Rise instead, I did sit on an XL and fit okay, the dropper was too big though so that needs to be either 150 or 125, they will change but I’m not sure on which there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles