Orbea Rise sizing

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
1,86m here and L size. I have just replaced the stem with a 60mm one and now is a perfect fit for me

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
Am 1,76 (5’9.5) and really can’t decide between M and L. Reading this post I am spot in-between. I own a levo 2017 and stumpjumper 2020 both Large which both fit me well but the rise seem a larger bike. Will test ride a M this coming weekend, let’s see. Great forum

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
My wife rides a small Canyon Lux and she likes the medium Rise… she is 5 feet 4 with a longer upper body.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Fit on a MTB really is about personal preference and what feels right, regardless of any rules, guidelines, or opinions of others. But, I am continually surprised how many people here and on other forums choose to size up on this bike.

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
Fit on a MTB really is about personal preference and what feels right, regardless of any rules, guidelines, or opinions of others. But, I am continually surprised how many people here and on other forums choose to size up on this bike.
Completely agree with that, I was right on the edge of a medium & large, but went for the medium as I don't like a bike to feel too big, & it's perfect for me, but might not be for someone else

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
I tested a Medium today in real condition (fire road + single track) and a large the other day on a parking slot. I found the test bike via the "Demo" option on Orbea.com . Both sizes feel good actually (176cm / 5'9.5) and I decided to go for a large to favor stability/security on descent, even if I will sacrifice a bit of agility. Beside the size, that bike is incredibly fun and comfortable, up and downhill. The M10's Fox36 Factory and DPX2 Factory rear are quite impressive (I have Lyriks on both my Stump and Levo). The rattle noise is there but I was expecting something pretty bad reading this forum so I was pleasantly surprised.... this noise will be quick forgotten with the fun going down.... and cherry on the cake, I found one in stock, it will be ready next week. I am happy :cool: ... thanks all for the good input in this forum.

Jonny S

Jul 10, 2021
Totnes
Hi. I've ordered a Large Rise M-10 and just wanted to check it's the right size. I'm 177cm (just under 5'10) with a 32" inseam. From this thread it looks I could ride either the large or medium, although large is probably better for me. Any thoughts really appreciated.

Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't have a medium to try.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I'm about same height with fractionally shorter inseam.

I have bought the large after trying one for size and my Merida e160 is also a large so I am used to that size of bike. I find my wife's e160 in medium cramped even though she's only an inch shorter.

Maybe with having slightly longer arms large is comfortable but medium may suit for the shorter limbed.

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
Completely agree with Tonybro. We are nearly same size (I am 176, 80 inseam). Tried both M and L and we are indeed spot in-between, both work. I finally went L because I prefer the higher stability downhill. Did my first real ride today, sweating up (was with Levo friends) and rocketing down the Salève (the mountain of the Geneva people) and the L feels good, no regret. I will try a 1cm shorter stem but we are talking about fine tuning here. My saddle is spot in the middle so have room to adjust there a bit also. I think you are good with L.

Jonny S

Jul 10, 2021
Totnes
Thanks - sounds like large is the one.

Are there any obvious upgrades to make on an M-10? Spec seems pretty good on paper but it would be good to hear what is being upgraded (is there another thread for this?). I’ll probably swap the tyres as we head into autumn.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I get the impression anyone 6ft with a L is going to ’positioned’ more over the handle bars from what I’ve seen people say, fine for trails perhaps but if your hitting steep techs dh then it might not be as stable.

On an XL it sounds like there is space to upgrade the shock better, I’ve ordered an XL but I am also wondering about how much the XL weighs and that’s something I’m trying to keep to a minimum on this one

Last edited:

Mtbnutty

Jul 3, 2021
NorCal
I get the impression anyone 6ft with a L is going to over the handle bars more than ideal from what I’ve seen people say, fine for trails perhaps but if your hitting steep techs dh then it might not be as stable plus on an XL./QUOTE]

Nonsense. Anyone with a modicum of skill won't be going over the bars because of a L vs. XL. I'm 6' with a long torso and much prefer the L due to better maneuverability with the slightly shorter wheelbase.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
You didn’t get my point, I wasn’t meaning OTB offs, I’m talking the physical rider to bike fitting in relation to the bars etc, which if wrong probably does result in more offs in any case.

From the feedback (various forums/threads) I’ve read riders feeling too close or being ’positioned’ more over the bars due to it being tighter since Orbea has weird sizing; basically it seems the XL of an Orbea is actually a L in other brands so some experience a less stable feel going dh. I personally know what there saying as it’s the same for my Orbea Wild but getting the wrong size will mean you’ll be losing 20% on a resale which is painful and something I’d like to avoid.

I’m going to try and get my ass on both sizes just to make sure If possible

Mtbnutty

Jul 3, 2021
NorCal
You didn’t get my point, I wasn’t meaning OTB offs, I’m talking the physical rider to bike fitting in relation to the bars etc, which if wrong probably does result in more offs in any case.

From the feedback (various forums/threads) I’ve read riders feeling too close or being ’positioned’ more over the bars due to it being tighter since Orbea has weird sizing; basically it seems the XL of an Orbea is actually a L in other brands so some experience a less stable feel going dh. I personally know what there saying as it’s the same for my Orbea Wild but getting the wrong size will mean you’ll be losing 20% on a resale which is painful and something I’d like to avoid.

I’m going to try and get my ass on both sizes just to make sure If possible

Got it. I think your sentence structure confused me.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
I agree with the Joy of Bike explanation. I believe the bikes are getting way too big per their recommended sizing. Much of this sizing stuff depends upon your riding terrain and how much "pop and play" you want in your bike. I did see a 5'5" girl riding the Yeti SB130 in a Medium on a newly purchased bike with a 460mm reach. Insane! It was clearly not the right bike, yet she said it was perfect. Shame on the bike shop for selling her such a large bike. We are followers folks, and we hear long and slack and we think, wow, lets find the biggest reach we can stand over. I think we'll find some pull back on the reach and slack stuff. I hear "stability" being thrown around so much. I begin to wonder just how aggressive some of us are citing stability as the factor for fit? Enough to knock out teeth out as weekend warrriors? NO!
The standover on the Rise is a big factor here. Longer torso, shorter legs on a frame with taller standover = big trouble in the technical department. I'm 6'1" and chose the L over the XL when I looked at many factors. Stability, yes, standover yes, Joy of Ride fit considerations yes. I'm guessing the 6'2" person and larger is where the XL begins to come into play. Just my 2 Cents.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I agree with the Joy of Bike explanation. I believe the bikes are getting way too big per their recommended sizing. Much of this sizing stuff depends upon your riding terrain and how much "pop and play" you want in your bike. I did see a 5'5" girl riding the Yeti SB130 in a Medium on a newly purchased bike with a 460mm reach. Insane! It was clearly not the right bike, yet she said it was perfect. Shame on the bike shop for selling her such a large bike. We are followers folks, and we hear long and slack and we think, wow, lets find the biggest reach we can stand over. I think we'll find some pull back on the reach and slack stuff. I hear "stability" being thrown around so much. I begin to wonder just how aggressive some of us are citing stability as the factor for fit? Enough to knock out teeth out as weekend warrriors? NO!
The standover on the Rise is a big factor here. Longer torso, shorter legs on a frame with taller standover = big trouble in the technical department. I'm 6'1" and chose the L over the XL when I looked at many factors. Stability, yes, standover yes, Joy of Ride fit considerations yes. I'm guessing the 6'2" person and larger is where the XL begins to come into play. Just my 2 Cents.
I am just under 6’ 2” and have a longer torso for my hight… I went XL

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Like I said, 6'2" is right on the cutoff point. For me, the XL seems a bit too big but may be perfect for you. I ride in the SF Bay Area where we have some tight, technical offerings, but we also have lots of open stuff too. I feel the L was better as my standover was just tight. If they offered something like the Yeti SB 130 or 150 as for standover then I would have considered the XL.
I'm just too old to take on the bombing of the ride down in favor of the poppy and playful. In the end, I think I made the right decision for me!

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Im 6.1 or 185 - 186 cm

I came from a Specialized Stumpjumper Evo S4 that is 474 mm. It was great on highly technical trails but felt a bit short on normal trails.
I went with the XL but changed bars to Fatbars with 30 mm rise, will also go for a 40 mm stem instead of 50 mm. Changing bars with a rise makes a big difference at least for me which makes my position more upright.

So far it is great on everything from XC and trails to riding high speed berms in bike parks. My LBS strongly advised on XL though I might be on L with longer stems due to higher riding speeds and more space for handling the Rise. I have only been riding some 200 km and has just begins to learn to ride my Rise.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
I agree with the Joy of Bike explanation. I believe the bikes are getting way too big per their recommended sizing.
This is a pretty good summary of the JoB videos...lots of people are probably riding bikes that are too big for them. It's easy to confuse cockpit space/proportion with bike geometry. Yes, all other things held equal, a larger bike will have a longer WB, and a longer WB is more stable. But upsizing won't make the Rise (or any other trail bike) ride like a DH bike; factors like headtube angle, rake and offset are just as, if not more, important. The Rise is not a particularly short bike (WB, reach or front-center) for it's size. What is short on the Rise is the saddle to stem length, due to the steep seat tube angle. But going downhill, that's irrelevant anyway, as your butt should be off and behind the dropped saddle. Cockpit length (imo) is not the best dimension on which to base your decision on sizing, unless you do most or all of your riding upright and in the saddle and don't care about how the impact on other dimensions of the bike affects the dynamics. For anyone undecided on sizing, the best bet is to find a way to do a real demo ride on a variety of conditions you typically ride, rather than focusing on any single static dimension (standover, seat-stem length, etc.) or a short roll around a flat parking lot pedaling in the saddle...

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Tested mine today, 6ft on a Large and it felt fine, better than my Orbea wild which is also L even though I’ve sat on XL on the wild and that fit better

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
My usual local ride is around 25 miles circa 2500ft of climbing and usually use a mix of eco, tour and EMTB on my current Bosch gen4. Ideally I’d do that ride as a test bed to see how it reacts. Not sure I can take a £7k punt on the M10

thats what I didn’t get chance to check. Rode it around the car park and up a reasonably steep tarmac hill. Would describe it as TOUR assistance on the Bosch.
From my experience today profile 2 felt every bit like EMTB but better as it didn’t have that overspin of too much torque at low cadence
Wild is a different story, I'm L in Rise, and definitely XL on Wild. Been on a number of rides, and man, I'm fitting perfectly on the L Rise at 6'1". Made the right call for me...
Yeah absolutely, I can’t explain it logically but everything about the rise is better than my Wild……for the first time I could modulate the brakes which are way more basic than my MT7 brakes, it’s more agile, I could fight battles with rock gardens and win, the tyres are a joke in comparison (rekon back, dissector front) yet they handled everything perfectly well (rear slipped on roots at times but hey)

I felt like a mtb god for a day! Nice to know I can blame my tools for once and get away with it ?

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ve just ordered a Rise Mteam, part of me wants to buy a Forestal instead though because they seem next gen and are good about the warranty but if I shed 8k upfront my other half would kick my ass vs 4 yrs 0%....so that’s that pretty much, Ill be a proud owner within 2 weeks.....now to work out what to replace if anything, I liked what @MTB_MIKE did with his 160 upgrade and fork making it abit more dh friendly and can’t really be testing it enduro style first if I’m selling the parts

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I really like my XL and I am 6’1.5” with relatively short legs and a longer upper body… I like the fact that there is something out in front of me especially when doing bigger drops…

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
I'm looking to switch my MTB to EMTB and have looked at a range of bikes, but finally landed on this! It looks ideal for me and tried an L and XL today and really think the XL is the one. I'm 5'11" but I've got pretty long legs, 88 inseam and ride with a top saddle height from centre of cranks of about 80.5cm to 81.5cm, I also like the longer head tube... A local bike shop will beat the online price and the have the orange paint H30 in stock in XL. I'm 53 so aren't throwing myself of cliffs (not that I ever have!), I want an XC bike with a bit of help on the climbs and hopefully when I'm not 100% in the mood or feeling great I can still get out!! Any advice (other than just buy it :))??

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
This bike is an all trail vs. an XC and the geometry keeps you from flying over the handlebars for steeper down hills. I really enjoy it and am not afraid of any rollable drop with it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles