Orbea rise m10 2021 - head bearing - chain lenght

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
Hello, i have 2 issues with my rise. I need to swap my upper head bearing, how can i know exacly what model is and where can i buy one ?

Also, i have an m10 size L and bought a slx 12 speed chain with only 116 links, can i use it or is it too small?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hello, i have 2 issues with my rise. I need to swap my upper head bearing, how can i know exacly what model is and where can i buy one ?

Also, i have an m10 size L and bought a slx 12 speed chain with only 116 links, can i use it or is it too small?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tribanas,

The "Rise Blue Paper" owner's manual, is well written and contains a huge amount of technical information on the Rise. Here's a link to the Rise Blue Paper. In most situations the manual can answer your technical questions.

1) The Carbon Rise M10 shares the same headset bearings as the Rise LTD, M20, etc. I've attached below a screen capture of the Rise Blue paper detailing the headset and bearings. Your Rise M10 takes an IS42/28.6 upper headset bearing and a IS52/40 lower headset bearing.

2) In regards to sourcing headset bearings. The least costly way to replace the headset bearings would be to order a headset bearing kit directly from Orbea.

Visit your regional Orbea website, click on "Gear", located on the top header and then when it opens, click on "Spare Parts." You can search for parts by either bike model or by entering your frame serial number. Your bike's serial number bar code is located on down tube, near the top. I've attached screen shots from Orbea's website showing the correct headset for your Rise.

You can also order a replacement headset bearing directly from your local bike shop or an online bike parts retailer, i.e. Chain Reaction Cyclery, Jenson USA, etc.

Note: The Rise uses a headset manufactured by "Acros." Any headset bearing of the correct size will work as a replacement for a worn Acros headset bearing. To know which bearing to buy, you first need to understand that the fork on your Rise uses a tapered steering tube. Therefore, the inside diameter of the upper headset bearing is smaller than the inside diameter of the lower headset bearing. This is because the lower bearing must fit around the thickest part of the tapered steering tube. If you wished to buy an upper headset bearing for your Rise, you would look for an IS42 bearing (42mm outer diameter) with a 28.6mm inside diameter. If you wished to source a lower headset bearing, you would look for a IS52 (52.1mm outer diameter) bearing with a 40mm inside diameter.

It's my own opinion, the Acros headset is ideally suited for cross country or less technical trails. If you ride rocky and more advanced technical trails, or expose the headset to repeated moisture, the Acros headset will not hold up long term to the abuse.

There are many headset manufacturers out there who make a good headset. Everybody has a favorite.... I like Chris King headsets. They are rugged, dependable and hold up well to moisture and dirt. This is due to a rugged sealing system used by Chris King. Chris King headsets are not cheap and there are many cheaper alternatives out there. However, you get what you pay for.....

Should you wish to consider a Chris King headset, you would need to purchase the "Drop 2" integrated headset.

3) In regards to your chain question. 116 chain link's is long enough to work on your Rise. You will need to shorten the chain length down to correct size by removing some links.

I hope this helps you out.

Be safe,
Rod

Screenshot 2023-04-29 08.24.11.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-29 07.11.54.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-29 07.39.08.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-29 07.40.36.jpg

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
Hello,
Man i never got such a detailed, informative and helpful reply ever, you are the best sir!
As i need to save some money right now i opted to just replace the upper bearing. If it do not last for long i will consider a chris king headset next time.
As for the chain, are you sure about that? 116 links was less then the stock chain lenght. I did not remove any link and it seems to be shorter then usual.
Again, thank you so much for your reply, sorry i did not come by aprecciate it earlier.

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Without going out to the garage I can't check, but I think my chain is about 118 or 120 links - I certainly didn't take 10 out of the 126link new chain I put on, if I remember to check I'll update this

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hello,
Man i never got such a detailed, informative and helpful reply ever, you are the best sir!
As i need to save some money right now i opted to just replace the upper bearing. If it do not last for long i will consider a chris king headset next time.
As for the chain, are you sure about that? 116 links was less then the stock chain lenght. I did not remove any link and it seems to be shorter then usual.
Again, thank you so much for your reply, sorry i did not come by aprecciate it earlier.
Tribanas,

I’m sorry. When I originally replied, I assumed the SLX chain you bought was new and I did not catch that the SLX chain you purchased had 116 links.

Brand new, a Shimano SLX chain will come with 126 links. In most instances, the chain will need to be shortened by removing a few links.

How many links your Rise needs will depend on several factors such as frame size, chain stay length, cassette size, chain ring size and derailleur arm length. There simply isn’t a hard and fast rule in regards to chain length as it varies between bike size and bike setup.

HOWEVER……it is absolutely critical that you get the length right. A chain that is too short will destroy or damage your rear derailleur. A chain that is too long can easily “Drop”, i.e. fall off the cassette or front chain ring. If you are in Boost mode when you drop a chain, bad shit happens.

You need to get your chain length right.

Fortunately, there are many good online articles and YouTube videos on chain fitment.

I tried to find a Portuguese based language video on chain fitment, but was unable to find one.

Here is an English based Park Tool article on chain installation and length fitment:

If you have any questions about chains, just ask, I’m happy to help you out.

Cheers,
Rod

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
Yup well i guess i am borderline short. My derraileur is quite streched but it still pics up a angle on the chain on both sides of the cogs.
This is my 3rd chain. I intend to use this chain and this cassete until it is completely melted, then i will replace the whole transmission.
How do you guys manage the chain / transmission life cycle on the rise ?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles