Orbea Rise , anyone seen one yet ?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
The thing here is that shimano allows end users to use their pc software to get some info about their bikes and change some params if needed, in example when changing wheel diameter.

Are you certain about this? I thought that wheel circumference was something that only OEMs and dealers can modify. Has this changed in the latest software?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Not sure about the latest version, but you need a motor license but once you have it there is no difference between you and the dealer changing it... so why losing your warranty? My local dealer told me they will always say they did the modification for me :)

what I mean is... what is the difference between reading params from official shimano pc app and stunlocker? If the answer is none the problem is only updating params

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
For a new motor they will file a warranty claim with Maddison UK which is the distributor for Shimano UK.
You can take your bike to any Shimano dealer which will process a warranty claim
Only time you need to get intouch with orbea is snapped frames

I'm not sure Shimano (or Madison UK) would have anything to do with warrantying the EP8 RS motor - since it's a normal Shimano EP8 which has been modified by Orbea (firmware and a special RS badge ...)

I'm also not sure any Shimano dealer would be able to handle a warranty claim (since it's an Orbea custom motor) - I was expecting to have to take mine to an Orbea dealer if I ever need anything.

I guess it depends who holds the stock of spares (which I would expect to be Orbea, since no other company will be using the EP8 RS).

We'll find out when someone needs to make a claim :)

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I know with Specialized if a motor goes wrong first contact is to report to Specialized which then claim a motor from Brose , specialIzed will then check to see if software had been used that could mean brose reject the warranty claim

I don't think that's how it really works. That would be super inefficient. I have had my motor replaced twice. Both times the motor was in stock at the shop. The shop only needs a approval from Specialized, not Brose. And the shop is reimbursed by Specialized, not Brose.

Of course I realize Specialized must *also* have an arrangement with Brose. But what I mean is my warranty is not contingent on Brose's support or approval. The contract with Brose is Specialized's concern, not mine. Specialized is the company providing the warranty for the motor, not Brose (this is stated as such in the warranty materials).

And to be clear I'm speaking only of the motor. Most third-party components on Specialized bikes are *not* warranted by Specialized. They are warrantied direct from the manufacturer. It's all explained here. I haven't yet found a similar explainer from Orbea yet, so I don't know for sure who provides the warranty for the Rise motor.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I don't think that's how it really works. That would be super inefficient. I have had my motor replaced twice. Both times the motor was in stock at the shop. The shop only needs a approval from Specialized, not Brose. And the shop is reimbursed by Specialized, not Brose.

Of course I realize Specialized must *also* have an arrangement with Brose. But what I mean is my warranty is not contingent on Brose's support or approval. The contract with Brose is Specialized's concern, not mine. Specialized is the company providing the warranty for the motor, not Brose (this is stated as such in the warranty materials).

And to be clear I'm speaking only of the motor. Most third-party components on Specialized bikes are *not* warranted by Specialized. They are warrantied direct from the manufacturer. It's all explained here. I haven't yet found a similar explainer from Orbea yet, so I don't know for sure who provides the warranty for the Rise motor.
For a new motor they will file a warranty claim with Maddison UK which is the distributor for Shimano UK.
You can take your bike to any Shimano dealer which will process a warranty claim
Only time you need to get intouch with

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Sure when the motor goes back to brose they must look to see if any warranty has be voided tho eg software used or de restricted ?

For example there a case on this forum at the moment where someone has opened a motor rider care has stated that they will speak to brose as it’s probably void now

When a lbs take a problem on which is going to be warranty claim which they will claim back against the manufacturer surly they do there check to ensure they get paid for replacing the motor parts abs labour

Can’t see many turning a blind eye if something isn’t quite right and risking not getting paid out ?

enewb

Apr 2, 2021
California
Another blue one!! Still waiting on some parts so haven’t ridden yet. Can’t wait to try this thing :)

4A405DA0-0EB8-47BA-88BD-5BFC0676B57A.jpeg

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Sure when the motor goes back to brose they must look to see if any warranty has be voided tho eg software used or de restricted ?

For example there a case on this forum at the moment where someone has opened a motor rider care has stated that they will speak to brose as it’s probably void now

When a lbs take a problem on which is going to be warranty claim which they will claim back against the manufacturer surly they do there check to ensure they get paid for replacing the motor parts abs labour

Can’t see many turning a blind eye if something isn’t quite right and risking not getting paid out ?

I think you've missed the point. Specialized provides the warranty, not Brose. This is stated plainly in their documentation. It sounds like this is *not* the case for Orbea, so the comparisons aren't really relevant. I was just trying to address the comment you made that the Specialized motor warranty process involves contacting Brose for approval. This is not the case in my experience (but also it may vary by region, I'm in the US). And I want to be clear that I think Specialized does this *intentionally*, in order to provide better service. They have a separate agreement with Brose to ensure they are reimbursed, I'm sure. But there's no reason to pass that burden on to the consumer. It's one of the reasons Specialized is the best when it comes to customer support.

Opening a Brose motor obviously voids the warranty as there's a sticker on the motor that says this. You have to break the sticker seal in order to open it. Nonetheless sounds like Spesh is trying to help this person out, which mirrors my experience with them as well.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
chrismechmaster,

I bought the rise as a frame only, so I never had time on 36 it came with.

But yes I prefer the latest RS ultimate lineup over the Fox offerings. 2021+ Fox are very nice though, it’s just my preference.
Which display did you install?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Only from a very special shop that It’s available to me as frame only :)

I believe the display is a Shimano e7000

View attachment 57481

Nice display
That shimano display does it have to be hard wired in or can it be bluetooth ?
I can see the Bluetooth stickers just wanted to double check that display worked via Bluetooth with the rise /rs motor

enewb

Apr 2, 2021
California
I think it requires hard wiring. It was already installed when I got it...

A small wire goes into the headtube and I assume connects to the main wiring loom.

But maybe there is an open connector ready to accept add-ons?

RE cadence.
Not sure, as haven’t ridden yet.
But scrolling thru, shows assist position, speed, odo/hours, trip, and most importantly battery life.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Nice display
That shimano display does it have to be hard wired in or can it be bluetooth ?
I can see the Bluetooth stickers just wanted to double check that display worked via Bluetooth with the rise /rs motor
It's hard-wired. The SC-E7000 uses SD50 connections, so it should plug right into the Rise with no adapters (the Rise has an EW-AD305 adapter in the head tube to convert the SD300 cable coming from the motor to SD50 for the controls). The newer/fancy SC-EM800 uses SD300 connections so you have to sort out wires and adapters.

According to the manual, cadence is supported but I don't understand what the footnote means :(

1617392466261.png

enewb

Apr 2, 2021
California
Has anyone moved up to a 34t ring up front?
Mostly to move the chain away from the chainstay/protector.

Also is there a correct side for assist buttons? Or more of preference?

I setup the assist buttons on right side, so right thumb for ‘drive’ duties and left thumb for dedicated dropper function.

44A7AF67-2EE9-45A8-8558-2EFF798838F4.jpeg

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles