Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

keeganxt

Oct 12, 2023
Atlanta
Can anyone confirm if on their battery plug that they have one pin that is longer than the rest?

IMG_3521.jpeg

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Yes, the plug for my EXe looks just like that with the outer pin of the pair longer. Never noticed that before, but it’s worked fine for over a year, so I assume that’s the way the connector was designed For a reason.

tony.c

Nov 17, 2022
Italia
Hi, I have a 205x65 trunnion coil shox from my previous bike, can I use it on my new fuel exe Size M even if the stroke is 65 instead of the default 60 ??
regards

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Hi, I have a 205x65 trunnion coil shox from my previous bike, can I use it on my new fuel exe Size M even if the stroke is 65 instead of the default 60 ??
regards
Depends on the brand&model, there’s a decent chance the reservoir will hit the Downtube at full travel. Easy enough to test fit with the spring removed, you can use a strap to compress the rear shock. Make sure the clearance between the resi & downtube exceeds the thickness of your bottom out bumper

Tomoooo

Jan 4, 2024
Slovakia
Is anyone running the GX AXS T-Type transmission? If so, how do you like it? Will it work with my current 5Dev cranks? If it doesn’t work, it is deal breaker. I appreciate any feedback.
Yes I have Transmission GX AXS on my Scott Lumen, I have ridden 18k km on “old” AXS and now have 1200km on the Transmission one. To be honest I do not really see any advantages in comparison with the old AXS.
Regarding Chainring, I had FSA on it, replaced it with “WolfTooth Trek TQ E-Bike DM Drop B” one which is compatible both with Old Eagle chains so the T-type. The WT chainring is half the weight of the FSA one.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
regards

I have a similar question if someone doesn’t mine answering? I am currently running a Rockshox Super Ultimate Deluxe coil shock with an MRP coil. The shock is 205 x 60. I am having the shock serviced and they are going to see if there are spacers that can be removed to increase stroke to 62.5 mm. I know some are running 65 mm stroke. Will I have any issues going to 62.5 mm stroke if they are able to do it? Thanks!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have a similar question if someone doesn’t mine answering? I am currently running a Rockshox Super Ultimate Deluxe coil shock with an MRP coil. The shock is 205 x 60. I am having the shock serviced and they are going to see if there are spacers that can be removed to increase stroke to 62.5 mm. I know some are running 65 mm stroke. Will I have any issues going to 62.5 mm stroke if they are able to do it? Thanks!
One way to find out 😉

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Im taking the EXe to Cwmcarn tomorrow, I’m intrigued to see what distance and elevation I get from main battery + range extender. Its gonna be cold, hopefully I get both sides ridden.

My first ride a few weeks back across Dartmoor I got 12 miles and 2500ft over very wet and very boggy terrain.

Im hoping to get more, but I’m really unfit at the moment so I use the power more than I should…..

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Im taking the EXe to Cwmcarn tomorrow, I’m intrigued to see what distance and elevation I get from main battery + range extender. Its gonna be cold, hopefully I get both sides ridden.

My first ride a few weeks back across Dartmoor I got 12 miles and 2500ft over very wet and very boggy terrain.

Im hoping to get more, but I’m really unfit at the moment so I use the power more than I should…..

you should get a fair amount more than 12 miles and 2,500’. I generally get 20 miles and 2,500’ with a battery and no extender. I only use mid and high assist, never low assist.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

It's possible for me to drain the main battery and range extender in approx 2500 feet of climb over 12 miles if I purely ride in max mode.

Using mainly mid mode will see that increase to 3500-4000 feet over 20 miles.

Using a detuned eco mode (50% assist, max 70w), and switching off on the flats and downs will give me 5000 ish feet over 30 miles.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
The results are in.
6 degrees
Factory setting mid assist.
28.59Km
3048ft
22% remaining (battery + re used for the ride)

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
So, a quick review of the EXe. Today was my first real test of distance, climbing and descending. My other point of reference is a full fat Levo gen3.

It’s been said many time, so just to repeat, there is no way this bike will keep up with any FF eebs.

But, for solo rides or rides with analogue buddies, then yeah, it’s ideal f you are prepared to put in the effort.

I climbed 3000 feet today. In an area I’ve been to many times with the Levo. Climbing on the fuel is slower and harder. I stayed in mid assist all the ride. You can’t sit on the torque like you can on a ff, you really do have to put the effort in. You have to ride the fuel like a normal bike, changing gears way more than on a FF where the power and torque simply get you up whatever you are riding up.

It’s not slow going up, it’s odd, it feels like there is very little assist, but my average speed was good and I did easily pass every analogue rider I came across. So the power is there but it is delivered in a very subtle way.

I was way more tired at the top of the climbs and did have to stop for occasional rests, I would not do this on the Ff, I’d simply carry on.

Going down the trials, the EXe is amazing, it really feels like an analogue bike and it’s very noticeable how much less heft there is than when riding a ff. it feel great, very nimble, turns in well, gets round the switchbacks really well (I’ve kept mine as Full 29’r). It rolls really well and picks up speed very quickly (quicker than the mullet Levo).

I’m running 160 zebs and a select + ultimate shock (rebound and lockout only). It feels really planted, plush, playful, everything that has been reported in all the YT reviews.

I bought it to ride predominantly with analogue riders and it works great in that situation for me. Im not sure I’ll take it on too many big days out, it only just got me round where I was today, and that’s with the RE. In my opinion, the RE is essential for this bike, it’s a shame it does not have a bigger main battery.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
As a point of reference, I was 30 minutes slower around the same trail as I was on my Levo. (Moving time)

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
So, a quick review of the EXe. Today was my first real test of distance, climbing and descending. My other point of reference is a full fat Levo gen3.

It’s been said many time, so just to repeat, there is no way this bike will keep up with any FF eebs.

But, for solo rides or rides with analogue buddies, then yeah, it’s ideal f you are prepared to put in the effort.

I climbed 3000 feet today. In an area I’ve been to many times with the Levo. Climbing on the fuel is slower and harder. I stayed in mid assist all the ride. You can’t sit on the torque like you can on a ff, you really do have to put the effort in. You have to ride the fuel like a normal bike, changing gears way more than on a FF where the power and torque simply get you up whatever you are riding up.

It’s not slow going up, it’s odd, it feels like there is very little assist, but my average speed was good and I did easily pass every analogue rider I came across. So the power is there but it is delivered in a very subtle way.

I was way more tired at the top of the climbs and did have to stop for occasional rests, I would not do this on the Ff, I’d simply carry on.

Going down the trials, the EXe is amazing, it really feels like an analogue bike and it’s very noticeable how much less heft there is than when riding a ff. it feel great, very nimble, turns in well, gets round the switchbacks really well (I’ve kept mine as Full 29’r). It rolls really well and picks up speed very quickly (quicker than the mullet Levo).

I’m running 160 zebs and a select + ultimate shock (rebound and lockout only). It feels really planted, plush, playful, everything that has been reported in all the YT reviews.

I bought it to ride predominantly with analogue riders and it works great in that situation for me. Im not sure I’ll take it on too many big days out, it only just got me round where I was today, and that’s with the RE. In my opinion, the RE is essential for this bike, it’s a shame it does not have a bigger main battery.
How many miles to get 3,000’?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
@Dave_B There's so many variables that can lead to different outcomes for others. As an example, my GF rides a n Alu Turbo Levo and she weighs maybe 63kg. On an average 3000', 17 mile black diamond ride, she'd use maybe 20% battery, but guess who lifts her bike into the truck? ;)
A FF eBike just makes little sense for her, she'd be much better off on something lightweight/midpower.

I often ride with friends on FF's on and there's no problem keeping up. But we all know they are chilling in trail while I am hustling in boost to keep up. I appreciate that we all find a pace that works for everyone. I also hear them complain about the weight of their bikes on many trails. Can't have it all!

I really hope modular batteries become a trend. It just makes so much sense to be able to carry only as much weight as the rider wants.

Here's a recent "battery killer" ride for me: 16 miles, 3300', about equal time in all 3 modes. I've found using apps like this really helps me get more range. Also, definitely get more range in drier conditions.
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 5.32.02 PM.png

Last edited:

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
@Dave_B There's so many variables that can lead to different outcomes for others. As an example, my GF rides a n Alu Turbo Levo and she weighs maybe 63kg. On an average 3000', 17 mile black diamond ride, she'd use maybe 20% battery, but guess who lifts her bike into the truck? ;)
A FF eBike just makes little sense for her, she'd be much better off on something lightweight/midpower.

I often ride with friends on FF's on and there's no problem keeping up. But we all know they are chilling in trail while I am hustling in boost to keep up. I appreciate that we all find a pace that works for everyone. I also hear them complain about the weight of their bikes on many trails. Can't have it all!

I really hope modular batteries become a trend. It just makes so much sense to be able to carry only as much weight as the rider wants.

Here's a recent "battery killer" ride for me: 16 miles, 3300', about equal time in all 3 modes. I've found using apps like this really helps me get more range. Also, definitely get more range in drier conditions. View attachment 131935
Yeah, I’m comparing myself to myself on FF vs SL, which eliminates many variables.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
It was a group ride with lots of stopping. Even had Cake and Coffee at one stop.

It was with analogue riders.
My average speed on yesterday's ride was 3.1mph :ROFLMAO:
15f and some snow here, I attempted a dbl-blk DH trail but it was so icy I fell walking. Walked half the DH. Was having a hard time finding the trail under snow. Still got my HR up to 177, 155 average. 2000' in 6.33 miles.

Today will go better!

Jazzii

Jan 25, 2024
Slovakia
Hi folks. Would like to ask for feedback those who fitted and ride Ohlings TTX1 or TTX2 to Exe. Also would like to know if anybody rides it with 65mm stroke.
Also would like to know which of two (Ttx1 or 2) will work better for hard trail/light enduro rides. 160 fork fitted in front. Thanks!

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I rode most of last year on a 205x62.5mm TTx1.
Pros:
  • Reservoir clears downtube regardless of stroke
  • much lighter than coil and pretty dang close in feel
  • Nice supple feel off the top- much better than the stock RS super deluxe select +
  • Easy to tune spring curve with volume spacers and adjustable LSC and 3-way HSC. I used firm for climbing and the middle setting for most everything else. Would occasionally use the least LSC setting for loamers.
  • I think the TTx1 is a better fit for the kinematics of the EXe. At 190lbs I ran the middle and largest spacers, and around my body weight in PSI for pressure. I believe TTx2 maxxed on spacers is about the same volume as an empty TTx1. Low volume=low pressure=supple on the top with good ramp & pop
  • Overall was very happy with it.
Cons:
  • Damping started to fade after 8-9 months of riding enduro trails 2-3x/week. Had to send it back to Ohlins USA for a rebuild which took about 5 weeks- they replaced the seal head and entire reservoir- thankfully didn't charge me too much.
I think it's a great shock but I will be keeping a spare around.

Jazzii

Jan 25, 2024
Slovakia
I rode most of last year on a 205x62.5mm TTx1.
Pros:
  • Reservoir clears downtube regardless of stroke
  • much lighter than coil and pretty dang close in feel
  • Nice supple feel off the top- much better than the stock RS super deluxe select +
  • Easy to tune spring curve with volume spacers and adjustable LSC and 3-way HSC. I used firm for climbing and the middle setting for most everything else. Would occasionally use the least LSC setting for loamers.
  • I think the TTx1 is a better fit for the kinematics of the EXe. At 190lbs I ran the middle and largest spacers, and around my body weight in PSI for pressure. I believe TTx2 maxxed on spacers is about the same volume as an empty TTx1. Low volume=low pressure=supple on the top with good ramp & pop
  • Overall was very happy with it.
Cons:
  • Damping started to fade after 8-9 months of riding enduro trails 2-3x/week. Had to send it back to Ohlins USA for a rebuild which took about 5 weeks- they replaced the seal head and entire reservoir- thankfully didn't charge me too much.
I think it's a great shock but I will be keeping a spare around.
Thanks, sounds good. I think I will take one, TTX1. Are there any special bushings needed for lower shock eye, or those from RS Seperdeluxe will fit?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Thanks, sounds good. I think I will take one, TTX1. Are there any special bushings needed for lower shock eye, or those from RS Seperdeluxe will fit?
That's a good question. I recall my Ohlins came with the Igus bushings like Fox uses, I had to swap those for a bronze DU bushing like RS uses for the shock hardware to fit correctly. I think my Ohlins was a new take-off so I'm not sure if they typically deliver with those Igus bushings.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
No issues with clearance. It is VERY close though. I can only say that I am confident it fits a large size frame.

The biggest thing for me has been getting anywhere near full travel. So far, the Vivid is working better. I was very happy with the Float X on my Ripley and Ripmos. The large air spring of the vivid is helping with getting more travel. I installed a shock wiz over the weekend and am on my first round of tuning. Removed the 1 stock volume reducer, increase air pressure, less rebound and less LSC. I made all those changes and will ride tomorrow morning.

Because I could, I installed the compression adjuster on the stock Float X. In the process, I discovered that it was set to -4 of 10 from the factory. That could be why I was not getting full travel. Too much compression damping. Once the Vivid is Dialed, I may through the Float X back on and see if that was the case.
How are you getting on with the Vivid? Still good?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles