Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I've been chasing a rattle/knocking sound for a while and I thought it was that. Local hardware store had some upholstery foam scrap blocks that were free- easy to remove the display and stuff a few of those into the void behind the head tube.

That did quiet my bike down some, but I still have a knocking sound that I think is my Ohlins shock (well due for a rebuild). I have a year on the bike now and my remote failed recently, picking it up today after warranty replacement. That's taken a week and I've done a few rides on my hardtail, OUCH.
If you have the range extender battery and are using the trek/bontrager bottle cage that comes with the bike to hold it, then it could be that, it knocks when hitting bigger bumps fast.

I've ordered the fidlock holder to see if that sorts it out.

I have tried various bits of foam stuck to it,but no joy.

wheelsx2

Aug 27, 2023
Seattle, WA
If you have the range extender battery and are using the trek/bontrager bottle cage that comes with the bike to hold it, then it could be that, it knocks when hitting bigger bumps fast.

I've ordered the fidlock holder to see if that sorts it out.

I have tried various bits of foam stuck to it,but no joy.
I was expecting this to be the case. Fidlock, sadly, won't be a fix. My fidlock bottle rattles too. They start pretty quiet but as they wear due to shaking while riding they loosen up.

I am planning to try the Arundel Side Loader bottle cage. That was dead quiet on my Ripley. They are so stiff, I am guessing that the strap won't be needed.

Colakaka

Oct 3, 2023
Germany
Hey everyone,
just want to share my EXE 9.5 ("Big Blue Bike") for everyone interested (pls ingnore the mess in the background)

Frame: 9.5 Size M
Fork: Fox 38 Factory Kashima 170mm (added Costom Decals)
Shock: Fox X2 Factory 205x65 (so 152mm rear travel) (FlipChip in high and no clearance issue)
Breaks: XT 8120 4 Postion on 200mm Rotors
Rims: Aerycs E-MTB 29" Carbon
Tyre: MAXXIS DHF 2.5 (front) MAXXIS DHR 2.4 (rear)
Inserts: Cushore (front and rear)
Pedals: One Up Comp
Drivetrain, Cranks, Dopper, Bar, Grips are still stock. Drivetrain will be replaced one its worn down. Sattle some time this winter

And for everyone wondering:
Weight: 19,6 kg (with battery)

I use this as my only bike and do go into bikeparks about 1x or 2x per month (without battery). Therefore i wanted the heavy tires and inserts as well as the heavier piggy back shock. Could easily shave around 1 kg with lighter components there.
I absoluty LOVE the bike. Coming from a 2013 Canyon Torque with 26" wheels and short reach this is a ridiculous upgrade!

IMG_20230902_134910944.jpg
IMG_20230924_170129284.jpg

pat1032

Feb 22, 2023
santa cruz
Questions about flying with your fuel exe. Have any of you flown with your bike and if so, what was the process
Like and do you have any recs on bike bags for travelling?

I want to fly to different bike parks and would prefer to bring my own fuel exe (hopefully it’s allowed?). Do you guys have a non e bike you use only for this reason so you just leave the e bike at home? Appreciate any input here.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Right then chaps, so Dave me reading 92 pages…. What is the reliability like on the motor? I’m aware there were some early issues with on first release, but now it’s been out for over a year, is it proving to be reliable?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Right then chaps, so Dave me reading 92 pages…. What is the reliability like on the motor? I’m aware there were some early issues with on first release, but now it’s been out for over a year, is it proving to be reliable?
Yep I think it's pretty reliable on the whole, I'd put it on par with the Bosch cx gen 4 motors in term of reliability

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Questions about flying with your fuel exe. Have any of you flown with your bike and if so, what was the process
Like and do you have any recs on bike bags for travelling?

I want to fly to different bike parks and would prefer to bring my own fuel exe (hopefully it’s allowed?). Do you guys have a non e bike you use only for this reason so you just leave the e bike at home? Appreciate any input here.
yep I have. most states/countries/avaiation authorities have a limit of 160wh for a single battery, so you cant fly with the main battery, so you need to remove that and leave it at home, or ship it separately to your destination.

You can fly with the range extender battery but it needs to go in your carry on luggage, and not go in with the bike.

Other than that its the same as travelling with any bike, I use a chain reaction soft bag to hold the bike, but some kind of hard case would be better

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I was expecting this to be the case. Fidlock, sadly, won't be a fix. My fidlock bottle rattles too. They start pretty quiet but as they wear due to shaking while riding they loosen up.

I am planning to try the Arundel Side Loader bottle cage. That was dead quiet on my Ripley. They are so stiff, I am guessing that the strap won't be needed.
the fidlock battery holder arrived today, its got an extra way of holding the battery to the bike in addition to how a regular fidlock bottle holder works. As well as the magnetic twist mechanism of the standard fidlock mount, it has a tab that you pull/push to release or cinch down the battery , so when thats done it holds the battery pretty tight to the frame.

It early days but I'm hopeful that it will solve the battery knocking noise.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Does anyone in the UK have the little sleeve as per image below that's used for fitting the chainring locking that they would be willing to lend me?

Screenshot_20231014-124151.png

I accidentally binned mine when I got the bike,but now I need to change the chainring.

Please pm me if you'd be willing to post it to me, I'd need it for a few days then would post it straight back, can pay for postage or donate to charity etc.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Is the EXe a quiet bike? I’m assuming there are no gremlins to deal with like a loose battery are any other such issues?

Last edited:

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
I've been chasing a rattle/knocking sound for a while and I thought it was that. Local hardware store had some upholstery foam scrap blocks that were free- easy to remove the display and stuff a few of those into the void behind the head tube.

That did quiet my bike down some, but I still have a knocking sound that I think is my Ohlins shock (well due for a rebuild). I have a year on the bike now and my remote failed recently, picking it up today after warranty replacement. That's taken a week and I've done a few rides on my hardtail, OUCH.
I had a knocking sound coming from the cable routing on the left side of the bike. Removing the small plastic cable guide and setting the cables back into their position solved it. Maybe something else to try. Early on I also had a knocking sound that was caused by the headset not being tight and lubed correctly.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Is the EXe a quiet bike? I’m assuming there are no gremlins to deal with like a loose battery are any other such issues?
It’s the quietest bike I have ridden. That doesn’t mean it’s silent. At higher cadence, one can definitely hear the motor but at lower support it’s not very noticable. cables are pretty silent. battery is inside the frame and well guided. No noise from there at all.

wheelsx2

Aug 27, 2023
Seattle, WA
Does anyone in the UK have the little sleeve as per image below that's used for fitting the chainring locking that they would be willing to lend me?

View attachment 126767
I accidentally binned mine when I got the bike,but now I need to change the chainring.

Please pm me if you'd be willing to post it to me, I'd need it for a few days then would post it straight back, can pay for postage or donate to charity etc.
Looks like it comes with the lock ring. My dealer gave me one when I asked about it.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Some people complain of creaking from the pivots -cured by greasing them, others complain of creaking coming from the motor,this is usually caused by one of the following

- motor mount bolts not torqued to correct values
- adjustable motor mounts not set to correct widths
- no grease on the motor mount bolts/interfaces.

The motor itself is pretty damn quiet ,not silent,but really quiet. There is no rattle from the motor like you can get with Bosch or Shimano motors

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I'm buying the x5 (base alloy) and transferring all the bling from the Levo (Zeb's, T Transmission, AXS dropper, his/wheels etc). the only think I can't swap over is the shock. the base model comes with the lowest spec shock, so wondering what to upgrade it to?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I'm buying the x5 (base alloy) and transferring all the bling from the Levo (Zeb's, T Transmission, AXS dropper, his/wheels etc). the only think I can't swap over is the shock. the base model comes with the lowest spec shock, so wondering what to upgrade it to?
My 9.5 came with the lowest spec shock, rockshox deluxe select+, it's actually pretty decent. I did end up upgrading it to a super deluxe ultimate,but to be honest upgrading it wasn't worth it, the standard shock is actually pretty good.

Everything else on the bike I upgraded and it was worthwhile,but the shock did not need the upgrade - in hindsight.

Try it for a while and decide

POC

Nov 28, 2022
Wales
how well does the bike ride as a mullet with a 160mm fork?
That's my set-up and I find it more playful than full 29er set-up without sacrificing stability. Some people complain about how low the BB is, but my analogue had a low BB, so I'm used to it (the 160 fork upgrade helps). As with everything, it's all down to personal preference. If you have a spare 27.5 rear wheel (or can borrow one), maybe give it a try before committing (though recommend going 160 up front regardless!)

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
its an x fusion pro 2 rear shock, think I would be happier with a RS super Deluxe

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
its an x fusion pro 2 rear shock, think I would be happier with a RS super Deluxe
Ah right, I thought it would be the same shock as the 9.5. In which case ,I dunno, give it a try and see. The carbon models come stock with the rockshox deluxe/super deluxe range,but people have fitted fox X2 etc.

The frame only has about 17% progression so you don't want any shock that has a linear ish spring curve

pat1032

Feb 22, 2023
santa cruz
yep I have. most states/countries/avaiation authorities have a limit of 160wh for a single battery, so you cant fly with the main battery, so you need to remove that and leave it at home, or ship it separately to your destination.

You can fly with the range extender battery but it needs to go in your carry on luggage, and not go in with the bike.

Other than that its the same as travelling with any bike, I use a chain reaction soft bag to hold the bike, but some kind of hard case would be better
The exe is already 40lbs, I don’t imagine I can keep it under the 50lb check in limit using a bike bag though

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The exe is already 40lbs, I don’t imagine I can keep it under the 50lb check in limit using a bike bag though
That's a pretty low limit, and I'd agree you will struggle to get under that.

The limit when I flew recently was 30kg or 66lb

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles