Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I had this and turned out my front tyre was folding on harder turns. I realised when watching slo motion video back and I could see the front tyre fold and tuck under the rim, then re grip and force the steering.

I ditched the thinner tyres for something better.

PS Rekon are pretty flimsy and 20psi (depending on your weight) might be too low.
Ok thanks for that. I’ll try 25 and see if that helps.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Ok thanks for that. I’ll try 25 and see if that helps.
Sounds to me like your fork is undersprung (you mentioned running below rec'd pressure). When you use F brake or shift your weight forward, fork compresses/rear end unloads, head angle steepens, and you get nervous handing.
20psi for the F tire should be OK long as your not getting flats.
I wouldn't touch Rekon's for local terrain, nor would I trust an app much for your suspension settings.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Sounds to me like your fork is undersprung (you mentioned running below rec'd pressure). When you use F brake or shift your weight forward, fork compresses/rear end unloads, head angle steepens, and you get nervous handing.
20psi for the F tire should be OK long as your not getting flats.
I wouldn't touch Rekon's for local terrain, nor would I trust an app much for your suspension settings.
I think the app is a very good starting point. I’ve been thinking about it this morning. Now that my suspension is broken in, it does feel way better now compared to when it was new, I’m going to go back up to the recommended pressures for my weight. And, then go from there. I have a 40 mile ride tomorrow morning. So, that’ll be a good test. I’ll take my pump with me in case I don’t like it.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Photo de jour. Also received my $175 used marzocchi bomber CR and had a super interesting call with Craig at Avalanche. Learned quite a bit about these bikes.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

SinglePointSafety

Sep 3, 2023
UK
For those unable to source the official e*13 crank boots for the EXe 9.7, I had success with the X-autohaux, see the link below (hope it works). The RaceFace 'alloy version' boots were far too tight to fit and needed scalpel work to expose the pedal thread, these below are much softer and fitted a treat, hope they give adequate protection

Last edited:

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
So, the only thing I’m not happy with my 9.7 is, pretty much anytime I’m going down hill, I seem to be all over the trail. Especially down hill turns, and it seems that I oversteer at the exit of corners. I was running the compression adjuster on the right leg open. I am now running it, partially closed at the 3 o’clock position and that seems to help a lot. But, the problem is still there. I’m going to up the pressure by five psi in the fork and see if that helps. I am running softer than recommended pressures. I’ve never had that problem with a mountain bike before. And I am a fairly competent rider. I am an ex pro open class MXer and I’ve been riding mounting bikes for a long time. Any ideas to help this problem, besides learning how to ride? 🤣 Thanks!
So, before todays ride I made a few changes. And they all seemed to work really good. Now that my suspension is good and broken in, I upped my ready to ride weight higher in the Trek app and I used those pressures and settings. The only difference I made was add 5 more psi in the fork. I also upped the pressure on my front 2.6 Recon to 24 psi to match the rear tire. These tires are pretty light. So, I think a little higher psi is a good idea. And, I didn’t hear the front tire pinging off of rocks like it used to. Right away, it felt better. I also tilted my seat back just a little and it just felt more comfortable to me. I’m still running the compression adjuster at the 3:00 position. So, I’m very happy with these changes. It doesn’t want to oversteer or be all over the place going down hill. And, I side a good portion of my travel. So yeah, I’m happy with it now.
IMG_1253.jpeg
IMG_1254.jpeg
IMG_1251.jpeg

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Here is a million year supply. I reduced the head diameter a bit so that its a straight shot through the spider on my E13 on a 9.7.

Jan 26, 2023
Australia
Hi all, is anyone else noticing their battery performance getting worse. I would expect, like most rechargeables the battery performance will incrementally diminish overtime. However, my does seem really poor. The bike is 10 months old. When I purchased it I could ride 4 long trails at my local, around 2 hours, at full power (set on the app to max). Now, I run the same trails, and get 20% less riding before the battery dies. Fitness not the issue, as likely fitter now than a year ago I reckon. Anyhow, if you've experienced similar, what did you do?

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Hi all, is anyone else noticing their battery performance getting worse. I would expect, like most rechargeables the battery performance will incrementally diminish overtime. However, my does seem really poor. The bike is 10 months old. When I purchased it I could ride 4 long trails at my local, around 2 hours, at full power (set on the app to max). Now, I run the same trails, and get 20% less riding before the battery dies. Fitness not the issue, as likely fitter now than a year ago I reckon. Anyhow, if you've experienced similar, what did you do?
If you ride at full power all the time then current is at max which degrades a battery faster. I also assume they did not design it to perform best (longest) at max current.

Jan 26, 2023
Australia
Crank Removal. Hi again, I have the 9.7 with E*thirteen E*spec crank kit. I want to remove the cranks, give it a clean, tighten the lock ring from 30nm to the recommended 50nm etc. I searched online for the correct tools, but couldn't get a straight answer. Has anyone removed their E*thirteen E*spec alloy cranks and lock ring and what tools do you need. Much appreciated any guidance. :)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Has anyone had problems with the handlebar remote on their fuel exe?

The "down" button stopped working on mine mid ride yesterday. When I got back I took it apart and found the microswitch for the down button had fallen apart, Ive fixed it for now,but suspect it will fail again soon,so have ordered a new remote (£100 , what a rip off!)

For a few weeks before it failed completely the down button was not feeling very positive and would fail to regsister a press every now and again.

Last edited:

PaPaYoU

Sep 21, 2021
France
Crank Removal. Hi again, I have the 9.7 with E*thirteen E*spec crank kit. I want to remove the cranks, give it a clean, tighten the lock ring from 30nm to the recommended 50nm etc. I searched online for the correct tools, but couldn't get a straight answer. Has anyone removed their E*thirteen E*spec alloy cranks and lock ring and what tools do you need. Much appreciated any guidance. :)
I am using Parktool CCP-44 and Parktool BBT-18

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
I am using Parktool CCP-44 and Parktool BBT-18

Note, the correct tool for the TQ lockring that holds the chainring to the TQ spindle is a standard 20 tooth bottom bracket tool such as the Parktool BBT-22, Parktool BBT-32, or Unior 1671.1/4 or many other 20 tooth bottom bracket tools.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

The "down" button stopped working on mine mid ride yesterday. When I got back I took it apart and found the microswitch for the down button had fallen apart, Ive fixed it for now,but suspect it will fail again soon,so have ordered a new remote (£100 , what a rip off!)

For a few weeks before it failed completely the down button was not feeling very positive and would fail to regsister a press every now and again.
I had the exact same issue. They replaced it under warranty. It has happened to others, according the the Trek rep for my LBS. It was a pain in the ass on my ride. It would get stuck in high assist mode. sometimes, I was able to get it to shift down if pushed the down button sideways. Otherwise, I had to turn the bike off, then turn it back on so it would reset into low gear.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Otherwise, I had to turn the bike off, then turn it back on so it would reset into low gear.
Yeah,that's what I ended up doing.

I was on a ride with only the range extender battery ,testing the bike out for an up coming foreign trip ( hence just using the range extender), I managed to get 2800feet of climbing over 17 miles from it. That was with the motor turned off on the flat and downhill, only turning it on for uphills and then using eco mode set to 66w max and 50% assist

Last edited:

Pean

Apr 23, 2023
Poland

My button broke in the same way after 5 months (Scott Lumen). I think it needs to be replaced every six months... That's bad...

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It's possible to change the modus by the selector on the screen. You have to turn that on in de TQ app.
yep, however the android version of the tq app just crashes when you try to enable the extended center button functionality, so I had to borrow someones Iphone and use the apple version of the app to switch this on.

I've emailed the app developers to let them know, but the android app hasnt been updated since december last year, so I dont expect a quick resolution

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Has anyone compared new Levo SL to Trek EXe?
I'm starting to get interested these "light" eMtb's and levo SL is clearly my number one because i have currently Levo Comp and i like it very much.

BUT i want check other options also. Trek's removable battery is a plus. And that TQ motor is very interesting.
So, convince me why Trek would be a better option? ;)

Both, Spesh and Trek are represented my local LBS.

Is TQ motor reliable, is there any downsides?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles