Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

kmag

Jul 1, 2020
BC Canada
I got my 9.8XT EXE built up last week, ride wrapped it and swapped out some parts. Ohlins RXF36m2, TTX1, wolftooth post,lever,30 tooth chainring,headset dropper lever and some other small bits, an SQlab saddle,time pedals,conti tires and some trickstuff brakes and rotors. Still waiting for the new wheel set to show up.

After a few rides I am loving the bike (coming from a gen1 Levo SL) the bike is what I was hoping it would be being very poppy and playful. It has excelled on our fast flowy trails with jumps and side hits everywhere. I have found it it is just as easy to pop and get in the air as a non ebike.
I have found that both of my crank arms have come loose after each ride, WTF? I will try loctite I guess. If that doesn’t work maybe some eewings or era crank arms.

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

njatherton

Dec 1, 2022
PA USA
I got my 9.8XT EXE built up last week, ride wrapped it and swapped out some parts. Ohlins RXF36m2, TTX1, wolftooth post,lever,30 tooth chainring,headset dropper lever and some other small bits, an SQlab saddle,time pedals,conti tires and some trickstuff brakes and rotors. Still waiting for the new wheel set to show up.

After a few rides I am loving the bike (coming from a gen1 Levo SL) the bike is what I was hoping it would be being very poppy and playful. It has excelled on our fast flowy trails with jumps and side hits everywhere. I have found it it is just as easy to pop and get in the air as a non ebike.
I have found that both of my crank arms have come loose after each ride, WTF? I will try loctite I guess. If that doesn’t work maybe some eewings or era crank arms.

View attachment 119175
View attachment 119176
View attachment 119177
View attachment 119178
I'm thinking of putting a Krypto on my rear. 2.4 or 2.6? Was it easy to seat?

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
I have a ’23 Fuel EX-e 9.8 XT.

Has anyone had any luck installing a Maxxis Aggressor 29 x 2.50WT / TR / DD on the OEM Line Elite 30 carbon back wheel? Replacing the OEM SE5 Team Issue 29 x 2.50 tires.

I was able to force a Maxxis Assegai 29 x 2.50WT 3C Maxxterra / EXO+ / TR on the front.

But the back wheel was an epic fail… Gave up after snapping all my plastic tire levers and getting Stans & lube everywhere.

Is the "WT" the wrong version for my rim?

Have changed tons of mtn bike, dirt bike and adventure bike tires with hand tools. But this one got me...

Thanks

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
The WT will be fine. I have no doubt it’s the plastic bontrager rim strips giving you drama.
Agree with @JP-NZ . Thick rim strips reduce the depth of the inner channel making it more difficult to lever the bead over the opposite side of the wheel. You may have to replace the thick strips with a thinner rim tape.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Another thing I noticed while making some adjustments yesterday - the TransX dropper post is very , very difficult to compress the release valve until you completely remove your body weight.
All of my Transfers - I can just push the lever, and they move. This one, I can feel the lever flexing, until I get take weight off the saddle, then I can feel the lever "pop" the valve. Its a Wolf Tooth lever. I wish Transfer was made in in the 34.9. Not sure if I want to shim it...

I am running a 34.9 Bike Yoke 160mm dropper. It fits perfectly slammed into the seat post of a Medium. The actuator can be turned which helped it fully seat all the way in without snagging the frame. The 160mm is perfect for my height on the medium. With the BikeYoke lever as well, I've been very pleased with this dropper setup.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I am running a 34.9 Bike Yoke 160mm dropper. It fits perfectly slammed into the seat post of a Medium. The actuator can be turned which helped it fully seat all the way in without snagging the frame. The 160mm is perfect for my height on the medium. With the BikeYoke lever as well, I've been very pleased with this dropper setup.

running the exact same dropper. It has been really good and reliable.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
running the exact same dropper. It has been really good and reliable.
I've got a couple of OneUp's and a BikeYoke Revive. Only complaint about the Revive is that the OneUp's feel great unless I just rode the bike with the Revive. Highly recommend the Revive if you want something choice. Mine is pushing 5 years old and is still silky smooth. The Divine is a good post, but the action is not out of this world like the Revive.

Have a 31.6 OneUp set at 200mm in the EXe. I'd normally buy the correct post for the bike, but had a 31.6 so I gave it at try. Have had the bike since early October and no problems at all. High quality problem solvers shim.

To me, 34.9 made sense when droppers were so unreliable and probably still makes sense above 200mm. But if I were buying a post for the Exe, I'd probably buy 31.6 and shim, because is drops a teeny bit of weight and I like being able to swap parts between bikes if something fails or is in for service.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I've got a couple of OneUp's and a BikeYoke Revive. Only complaint about the Revive is that the OneUp's feel great unless I just rode the bike with the Revive. Highly recommend the Revive if you want something choice. Mine is pushing 5 years old and is still silky smooth. The Divine is a good post, but the action is not out of this world like the Revive.

Have a 31.6 OneUp set at 200mm in the EXe. I'd normally buy the correct post for the bike, but had a 31.6 so I gave it at try. Have had the bike since early October and no problems at all. High quality problem solvers shim.

To me, 34.9 made sense when droppers were so unreliable and probably still makes sense above 200mm. But if I were buying a post for the Exe, I'd probably buy 31.6 and shim, because is drops a teeny bit of weight and I like being able to swap parts between bikes if something fails or is in for service.

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem running a shim either. I ran across a solid deal on a take off for the 34.9 "Revive Max". Their marketing states they did take into account the larger diameter allows them to optimize wall thickness and the 34.9 is lighter (160mm is 580g) than other company posts. Comparing to OneUp they are lighter in comparison to similar product.
One minor thing I encountered is that I store my bike standing on the wall with a steady rack so if I have the dropper depressed/down when stored, then sometimes it takes a couple of lever pumps to get it back up. Fortunately, only once I had to revive it with the bolt action in the past 6 months of owning it.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Yeah I wouldn't have a problem running a shim either. I ran across a solid deal on a take off for the 34.9 "Revive Max". Their marketing states they did take into account the larger diameter allows them to optimize wall thickness and the 34.9 is lighter (160mm is 580g) than other company posts. Comparing to OneUp they are lighter in comparison to similar product.
One minor thing I encountered is that I store my bike standing on the wall with a steady rack so if I have the dropper depressed/down when stored, then sometimes it takes a couple of lever pumps to get it back up. Fortunately, only once I had to revive it with the bolt action in the past 6 months of owning it.
That’s an excellent clarification. I think BikeYoke is one of the very few manufacturers that uses different internals for their 34.9 as opposed to simply a larger tube. Their stuff is really top notch.

XrayZulu

Nov 8, 2022
UK
Picked up some e13 helix cranks, 160mm length. Good value, nicer hardware and finish than the stock cranks. Hoping they stay tight!

View attachment 119460 View attachment 119461
Are you sure they're 160mm, they seem not to make them in that size........?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
One of the more odd riding experiences in my very long career on Sunday. Went to the local bike park to do some laps. We had a very wet winter in Southern Cal and there is no shortage of food running around the now very thick brush. I am riding up a steep single track with poison oak everywhere. I see something slither out of the weeds and over my front rim. Next thing I know I see a pink mouth with a forked tongue wrapped around the spokes like a second rim. I throw the brakes on and promptly fall into a poison oak bush with a very confused snake trying to figure out how to get off the Ferris wheel eye to eye. It, thankfully, took off in the other direction. It was about a four foot racer of some type. I was freaking out honestly. Thankfully I was wearing enough coverage to avoid a rash.

Yesterday was a half dozen snakes with two rattlers on a moto ride. Its snaky out right now.

TheRed

Oct 6, 2022
Midlands, UK
Does anybody have torque settings for refitting the chainring and crank arm?
I have a very annoying creak that seems to be coming from the bb area and I want to make sure i’m Rebuilding it properly.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
One of the more odd riding experiences in my very long career on Sunday. Went to the local bike park to do some laps. We had a very wet winter in Southern Cal and there is no shortage of food running around the now very thick brush. I am riding up a steep single track with poison oak everywhere. I see something slither out of the weeds and over my front rim. Next thing I know I see a pink mouth with a forked tongue wrapped around the spokes like a second rim. I throw the brakes on and promptly fall into a poison oak bush with a very confused snake trying to figure out how to get off the Ferris wheel eye to eye. It, thankfully, took off in the other direction. It was about a four foot racer of some type. I was freaking out honestly. Thankfully I was wearing enough coverage to avoid a rash.

Yesterday was a half dozen snakes with two rattlers on a moto ride. Its snaky out right now.

Wow! I’ve always been afraid of that happening. I imagine those few seconds were heart racing until you figured out what kind of snake it was.

XrayZulu

Nov 8, 2022
UK
Does anybody have torque settings for refitting the chainring and crank arm?
I have a very annoying creak that seems to be coming from the bb area and I want to make sure i’m Rebuilding it properly.
Crank arm torques can vary by manufacturer, best to check with them first.
Chainring lockring - 50Nm, revised upwards from 30Nm some months ago.
I've just been having a creaking issue - turns out the motor bolts were too slack, now torqued correctly to 20Nm, creaking noise now gone :), suggest check those first.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles