Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

GrumpyDisco

Oct 10, 2022
Australia
Can anyone tell me what interface the cranks/axles use please? Is it ISIS, same as on the Bosch and Brose? Cheers.
Did you find anything out?
I am also trying to find out more info.
on the e-13 website they list different cranks for the TQ and the Bosch G4 but I have both motors/cranks and they are the same offset/length etc but a different serial no.
I have googled the serial numbers to no affect, so I have just fitted the G4 to the TQ and am about to test ride it.
any other info would be great fully received.
Thanks

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
on the e-13 website they list different cranks for the TQ and the Bosch G4 but I have both motors/cranks and they are the same offset/length etc but a different serial no.
I have googled the serial numbers to no affect, so I have just fitted the G4 to the TQ and am about to test ride it.
Thanks
I believe it basically comes down to the Q factor. The difference being the various cranks must take into account a wider or larger motor at the BB. Basically Q factor can change between the different motors of the same crank set.

I purchased a set of 155mm FSA CK-220 cranks ISIS and they fit perfectly in my 9.7. It said it was for Bosch Gen 4. I looked and compared photos and the crank arm didn’t seem to bend out as wide. I gave it a shot at $25 on sale lol. The Q factor didn’t really change from the stock E13 alloy 165mm either. Looked to be about the same to my eye.

So the main thing to look for is the curve in the cranks with ISIS. Specialized are different I think bc one arm is more straight while the other crank arm has more of a bend so I suggest avoiding these.

Hope that helps. The FSA I purchased are only die cast alloy but I saved about 60g total but we will see if they can withstand some hits.

GrumpyDisco

Oct 10, 2022
Australia
I believe it basically comes down to the Q factor. The difference being the various cranks must take into account a wider or larger motor at the BB. Basically Q factor can change between the different motors of the same crank set.

I purchased a set of 155mm FSA CK-220 cranks ISIS and they fit perfectly in my 9.7. It said it was for Bosch Gen 4. I looked and compared photos and the crank arm didn’t seem to bend out as wide. I gave it a shot at $25 on sale lol. The Q factor didn’t really change from the stock E13 alloy 165mm either. Looked to be about the same to my eye.

So the main thing to look for is the curve in the cranks with ISIS. Specialized are different I think bc one arm is more straight while the other crank arm has more of a bend so I suggest avoiding these.

Hope that helps. The FSA I purchased are only die cast alloy but I saved about 60g total but we will see if they can withstand some hits.
Thanks for your reply.
The offset (which I presume will affect the Q-factor) is 22.5mm on both cranks.
I am just going to test them and see how they work. If all is good I’ll fit my Hope cranks.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
3D6B961C-5CB0-48A8-AB63-0FB4F69777C0.jpeg

i had my fuel EXe 9.8XT in the shop to get the dropper post replaced as it stopped working. While they had the bike they ran a software update which resolved one of the issues I had on my bike. In Boost mode, the power would come on but then suddenly drop off even at constant rider input power. That is now fixed and it is so much better. I recommend that those of you who maybe had a similar issue, ask for Trek to run a firmware update.
it did however not fix the motor rattle noise at low motor power which TQ said they would have a fix for at the end of 2022. Maybe Roman from TQ can provide an update on that issue. thanks.

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
I'm posting this as some of you may be interested in the service report that was generated when I had the firmware updated. As you can see there are multiple components which are updated in the process (motor, display, battery)

Also there appears to be a diagnostic test of the different components. In my case there were no faults reported.

You can request a copy of the service report when they do an update. Useful info to have for future reference. It's too bad that you can't pull up some of this info on the app or display.
Screenshot_20230101_221802_Gallery.jpg

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
T
View attachment 103844
i had my fuel EXe 9.8XT in the shop to get the dropper post replaced as it stopped working. While they had the bike they ran a software update which resolved one of the issues I had on my bike. In Boost mode, the power would come on but then suddenly drop off even at constant rider input power. That is now fixed and it is so much better. I recommend that those of you who maybe had a similar issue, ask for Trek to run a firmware update.
it did however not fix the motor rattle noise at low motor power which TQ said they would have a fix for at the end of 2022. Maybe Roman from TQ can provide an update on that issue. thanks.
That's great re that power cutout being resolved in Boost.... I had exactly the same thing happening when doing steep climbs the other day in Boost... so I ended up switching to Mid-power mode and at least the power was engaged consistently in that mode. I will confess my legs were outputting VERY low watts (according to the TQ display)... and I am thinking TQ might not have factored in such low watts coming from the rider when they designed and tested 😳😖.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
T
That's great re that power cutout being resolved in Boost.... I had exactly the same thing happening when doing steep climbs the other day in Boost... so I ended up switching to Mid-power mode and at least the power was engaged consistently in that mode. I will confess my legs were outputting VERY low watts (according to the TQ display)... and I am thinking TQ might not have factored in such low watts coming from the rider when they designed and tested 😳😖.
You will like the bike a lot more with the update 😃

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Thanks
Standard ISIS fit, so any ISIS cranks will be fine. The only consideration is Q factor, but I've never been bothered by that, though seem people seem hell-bent on a given number!

njatherton

Dec 1, 2022
PA USA
Re. Lower shock mounting bolt.

Today I tried

Trek M8x1.25x64mm Lower Shock Bolt - W511147​

Unfortunately the head of this bolt is too large for the positioning hole. The bolt still reached thru to the nut so I lightly tightened it and the shock did not move. Pity the head didn't fit 😕

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Hello!
Newbie here, got a Fuel exe 9.8 xt.

Brought bike home and tried to link the app to the bike. In these process I am getting a weird message from the app "Something went wrong. Bike type not found", and couldn't connect to the bike.

These is the first fuel ex-e that my LBS sold, so they don't know much about these problem. Could some one help me link bike and app, or point me to the right direction? I willing to connect and setup the motor configuration to get the most from these rig.

Thanks in advance!

Luiz Andre.

View attachment 103746
I had same issue first setting up mine. When pairing bike to phone, bluetooth on phone of course and watch for quick code (think 5 digits) that pops up on LED screen for like only 5-10 seconds then disappears following and have to re-do the pairing if don’t plug that code from bike to prompt on phone. My teenage son had to help his tech challenged dad with this

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
What rear shocks (not stock) are people running and are pretty happy with. I just can’t get the Float X to feel right on mixed trail riding. Only descent on hardpacked flow trails for me.

Considering the DVO Topaz3 as replacement (have DVO Jade-X coil on Rail that has been nice). Wish could get Float X to feel a bit more compliant and lively (too firm and dull currently with 33% sag and 6-7 clicks rebound),, but just not there for me despite shock looks like it would be fine and since content with very basic stock air shock on Rail now while coil out for servicing.

Thanks for any suggestions for shock replacement

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
What rear shocks (not stock) are people running and are pretty happy with. I just can’t get the Float X to feel right on mixed trail riding. Only descent on hardpacked flow trails for me.

Considering the DVO Topaz3 as replacement (have DVO Jade-X coil on Rail that has been nice). Wish could get Float X to feel a bit more compliant and lively (too firm and dull currently with 33% sag and 6-7 clicks rebound),, but just not there for me despite shock looks like it would be fine and since content with very basic stock air shock on Rail now while coil out for servicing.

I have an X2. I am really unimpressed with it. I probably won’t buy a Fox shock again. I am switching to a coil. I am going with the Rockshox Super Ultimate Deluxe with a Sprindex coil. I’ll have it installed by the weekend and can report back. The slight weight increase will be well worth the ride quality.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I have an X2. I am really unimpressed with it. I probably won’t buy a Fox shock again. I am switching to a coil. I am going with the Rockshox Super Ultimate Deluxe with a Sprindex coil. I’ll have it installed by the weekend and can report back. The slight weight increase will be well worth the ride quality.
Thanks for feedback! Another dude on here likes the X2 on his Fuel, that I would be a little hesitant myself as well especially after lackluster Float X

Sprindrex is sweet, ran one for awhile until I found myself able to ride at certain spring rate for >90% of my ride s, so traded a buddy for a ProRate spring he had at that rate. Miss my coil on Rail, been >8 weeks since ran it last.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
What rear shocks (not stock) are people running and are pretty happy with.

Gotta say again, Im extremely happy with the Ohlins TTx1. I think with 140mm travel this bike works really well with a progressive air shock. The TTX1 is their smaller volume option with LSC, rebound and 3-way HSC adjustments. My body weight (lbs) in psi gets me 30% sag. really supple initial stroke and I’ve never felt it bottom out. Running the 62.5mm stroke.

I was curious about the cane creek katsuma air too.

5CE6B81E-05D6-4F38-9296-7DC68BBD9922.jpeg

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Gotta say again, Im extremely happy with the Ohlins TTx1. I think with 140mm travel this bike works really well with a progressive air shock. The TTX1 is their smaller volume option with LSC, rebound and 3-way HSC adjustments. My body weight (lbs) in psi gets me 30% sag. really supple initial stroke and I’ve never felt it bottom out. Running the 62.5mm stroke.

View attachment 103995
Nice Bike!

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA

View attachment 103995
Dopesauce! Killer set up right there. Thanks for shock feedback

dannyb

Oct 6, 2022
Calabasas, CA

Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil with Vorsprung Tractive Tune and MRP Progressive Coil.

The traction and compliance is just insane, and works great for all types of terrain and riding (note: I don't do bike parks /big jumps though). Its just perfect on this bike. Couldn't be happier.

Paired with PUSH ACS3 Coil Converted Fox 36 Grip2 VVC fork the bike is completely glued to the ground yet super plush.

20221231_142323.jpg

dannyb

Oct 6, 2022
Calabasas, CA
Just picked up and installed my Rockshox Super Deluxe shock with a Sprindex coil. I’ll go for my first ride with this setup tomorrow View attachment 104029
Looks like an awesome setup. What year is the shock? I heard there is a new 2023 version with some neat new features. Once you get the sprindex dialed may be worth experimenting with a progressive spring as well. Looking forward to your thoughts.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil with Vorsprung Tractive Tune and MRP Progressive Coil.

The traction and compliance is just insane, and works great for all types of terrain and riding (note: I don't do bike parks /big jumps though). Its just perfect on this bike. Couldn't be happier.

Paired with PUSH ACS3 Coil Converted Fox 36 Grip2 VVC fork the bike is completely glued to the ground yet super plush.

View attachment 104030
Gotta love Vorsprung tuned products! Been using their stuff for years and always a great upgrade from stock configuration

richomtb

Jan 6, 2023
Syd, Aus
What would be your ideal choice of suspension for the EXe?
IMHO 160/146 (205x62.5 shock). 205x62.5 shock yields 146mm rear travel with good seat stay clearance. 205x65 shock yields 152mm rear travel but frame contact is possible under bottom out flex and could destroy a very valuable frame.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

View attachment 104030

I am glad to see you speak so highly of your RS Super Deluxe Ultimate with a progressive coil. Just installed the same shock with a progressive coil and gonna take it fora spin today.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Looks like an awesome setup. What year is the shock? I heard there is a new 2023 version with some neat new features. Once you get the sprindex dialed may be worth experimenting with a progressive spring as well. Looking forward to your thoughts.
I guess I didn’t pay attention to the year. I’ll have to check in a bit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles