Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
A hair off topic for geeks. There is a very good documentary on Prime called 'Good Night Oppy' about the Opportunity and Spirit Mars rovers. Harmonic Drives were used on all the wheels and the gimbals. The mission life was supposed to be 90 days and one lasted 14 years. Punishing thermal and operational environments to say the least.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Anyone running a Zeb 160 or 38 160 on their EXe? If so, how she do and made the bike handle/perform differently. Currently running a Lyrik Ultimate 160 w/Luftkappe and curious how a Zeb would do instead

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Anyone running a Zeb 160 or 38 160 on their EXe? If so, how she do and made the bike handle/perform differently. Currently running a Lyrik Ultimate 160 w/Luftkappe and curious how a Zeb would do instead
Yeah, I’m running a Zeb ultimate 160. It’s 3mm over Treks max a2c, which seems petty. If feels great! But the only reason I bought it was, you can’t get 160mm air shafts for the stock 2023 lyriks yet. I’m skeptical that the Zeb would be too much of an improvement over your current fork. Probably a bit.

dannyb

Oct 6, 2022
Calabasas, CA
Is your Lyrik the 2.1 Charger or the new 3.0 Charger damper? That would make more of a difference than Zeb vs Lyrik with the same damper IMO.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Yeah, I’m running a Zeb ultimate 160. It’s 3mm over Treks max a2c, which seems petty. If feels great! But the only reason I bought it was, you can’t get 160mm air shafts for the stock 2023 lyriks yet. I’m skeptical that the Zeb would be too much of an improvement over your current fork. Probably a bit.
Thanks, i am running Zeb Ultimate 170 w/Luftkappe on my Rail and seems to outperform the Lyrik some. I did back to back tests on both bikes yesterday on same trails. I feel like my Lyrik is a bit harsher and needs to come up some on the DH’s and I maxed out my steerer spacers below fork for steerer tube. Could go higher rise bars of course, just feel Zeb not as harsh over chatter/roots vs Lyrik rides lower on the DH’s (pitched forward a bit more than I like). Thanks for feedback. Zeb w/charger 3 has captured my interest. Just wanted to make sure Zeb not overkill for the bike

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
. Zeb w/charger 3 has captured my interest. Just wanted to make sure Zeb not overkill for the bike
Definitely not overkill, I’m quite happy with it! In my case I went from the Lyrik Select+150mm to the Zeb ultimate 160mm. Both 2023s with the charger 3 damper & debonair+ airSprings. The zeb has the buttercups which are a noticeable improvement I think, but easy upgrade to the selct+ once their available. I ended up adding one token to both forks. I really like what Rockshox has done with the 2023 forks, they have great mid stroke support and are amazingly quiet. I found the damper adjustment directions to be a little counter-intuitive.

I’ve got a Fox factory 38 170mm kicking around, that somehow has never made it onto the fuel. Not looking to go that far outside their warranty spec. I might just slightly prefer the Zeb, hard to say with the travel differences.

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Is your Lyrik the 2.1 Charger or the new 3.0 Charger damper? That would make more of a difference than Zeb vs Lyrik with the same damper IMO.
Good question, both charger 2 dampers I believe. Lyrik Ultimate a 2020, Zeb Ultimate 2021. So both RC2 charger 2.1?

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Definitely not overkill, I’m quite happy with it! In my case I went from the Lyrik Select+150mm to the Zeb ultimate 160mm. Both 2023s with the charger 3 damper & debonair+ airSprings. The zeb has the buttercups which are a noticeable improvement I think, but easy upgrade to the selct+ once their available. I ended up adding one token to both forks. I really like what Rockshox has done with the 2023 forks, they have great mid stroke support and are amazingly quiet. I found the damper adjustment directions to be a little counter-intuitive.

I’ve got a Fox factory 38 170mm kicking around, that somehow has never made it onto the fuel. Not looking to go that far outside their warranty spec. I might just slightly prefer the Zeb, hard to say with the travel differences.
Very nice! Yeah, think I wouldn’t need a Luftkappe air piston for Zeb 3, especially if midstroke improved. Zeb 2.1 stock was a bit divey for me. I run tokens in both Zeb (2) and Lyrik (1) as well. Current Zeb on my fat ebike (Rail)

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Anyone get some goodies for their bike over Christmas?

I was happy with the SLX brakes, but with Competitive Cyclist's sale on Code RSC brakes (paid $250 for front and rear rainbow) I upgraded and I liked the modulation on some G2 brakes on my 5010. I think I got really lucky with running the rear brake hose internally - it was super easy. I got it to run up into the top tube on the first try from under the mudguard (someone had mentioned it took them 1.5 hours to run!). I had to get some Storm HC rotors (2mm) thick since the shimano RT66 are a little slimmer.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor

I was happy with the SLX brakes, but with Competitive Cyclist's sale on Code RSC brakes (paid $250 for front and rear rainbow) I upgraded and I liked the modulation on some G2 brakes on my 5010. I think I got really lucky with running the rear brake hose internally - it was super easy. I got it to run up into the top tube on the first try from under the mudguard (someone had mentioned it took them 1.5 hours to run!). I had to get some Storm HC rotors (2mm) thick since the shimano RT66 are a little slimmer.
There's an internal channel that runs it from the BB to the head tube, so as long as you thread the hose from back to front, it should take less than 30 seconds. Try it the other way round though, and that's where you could hit a snag, as the internal channel isn't as easy to access that way around!

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA

Nice upgrade, new, better modulating/more powerful brakes is always nice. I am surprised I am getting along with SLX brakes that came stock myself, especially since running TRP DH-EVO’s on Rail, Saints on Hightower and Zee’s on Honzo.

For my Christmas gift to myself, I just ordered a new fork for Fuel EXe, Zeb 3 in 160. Running Zeb 170 on Rail over past two years with Luftkappe air piston for improved mid-stroke, bottom out and initial stroke and does pretty well, so eager how new Zeb stock fork compares. Also ordered new pedals for Fuel to replace old haggered ones I had to put one.

Cheers 🍻!

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
Raleigh, NC
There's an internal channel that runs it from the BB to the head tube, so as long as you thread the hose from back to front, it should take less than 30 seconds. Try it the other way round though, and that's where you could hit a snag, as the internal channel isn't as easy to access that way around!
Yeah I ran it as the service manual said and it was straight simple. I had done a search prior to doing it on here and a user mentioned having major issues running it so that got me a little put off, but glad I just went in and did it. Simple swap, I just have to bleed the rears now.

Changing the hose of the rear brake is quite a hassle. It took me 1.5 hour to get the hose through the right holes in the frame. Every time it went up to the seatpost. My other bikes don't have hoses in the frame, which is very easy for swapping brakes.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
And so, finally, here it is! Started out as a size small 9.7, but now with multiple upgrades/spec changes, as follows:
Hunt Trail Wide 29" wheelset, running 2.6" front and 2.4" rear, Michelin Wild AM2s and Peaty's valves (also have the original wheelset, fitted with Shorty/DHRII combo).
Deore M6000 series brakes, sintered pads, 4 pot front and rear.
FSA 155mm cranks.
Nukeproof Sam Hill Enduro pedals.
Float X shock upgraded to Performance Elite spec, with stroke shimmed to 57.5mm (short legs mean the 29" rear wheel was hitting me in the ass!).
RRP Proguard Max front and rear (rear trimmed slightly, to fit).
Orange dials on the Fox 36, 'cos they make me go faster! 😂
One Up V2 150mm dropper.
Nukeproof Horizon 50mm stem, to match the pedals!
Brand X carbon 31.8mm bar, cut to 750mm.
Muc-Off tubeless repair bar plug kits.
Fork Cork, keeping spare zip ties safe.
One Up 100cc pump, with EDC.
Couple other finishing bits I've probably forgotten.

Thoughts so far are that I love the handling and am very glad I sized down, rather than up (having been smack on the borderline for small/medium). Need to keep tweaking the settings, to find my sweet-spot for range/support. On the fence about keeping the Shimano drivetrain at the mo, only two rides in though, seems much finickier than my previous SRAM drivetrains. The Race Face Half Nelson grips that are on there are going - only grips that have ever given me arm pump!!!

20221225_133905.jpg

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
Yeah I ran it as the service manual said and it was straight simple. I had done a search prior to doing it on here and a user mentioned having major issues running it so that got me a little put off, but glad I just went in and did it. Simple swap, I just have to bleed the rears now.
That was me:) Luckely you had less problems then me. Next time I will connect the old with the new hose to pull it through.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
That was me:) Luckely you had less problems then me. Next time I will connect the old with the new hose to pull it through.
You can find connectors, to join the hoses, or use a routing kit, such as Ice Tools or Park Tool, either of which make the job substantially less painful!

e-kiwi

Dec 26, 2022
New Zealand
Hi all, I had the creaking ‘bottom bracket’ i’d done a bit of quick checking on the bike and found the chainring had a bit of play and then searched the web and found you guys posting about the new 50Nm torque setting for the chain ring lock nut. out comes the tool kit and off comes the crank, found the lock nut was wonky so i took it off. looks like it loosened itself then managed to get cross threaded. i’m sure it wouldn’t have been built that way. anyway threads are trashed and my LBS are sending me a new locknut. i’d done about 20km on holiday with the creaking and assume the nut had been loose longer than that. hopefully nothing got past the o-ring and into the motor as the the nut wasn’t seated.
image.jpg

fortunately the opposite threads on the motor look like steel and are in good shape. i’ll get it into the shop for them to check once back from summer holliday.

RoktMyDog

Feb 23, 2021
USA
Just reading this article by guy kestevan talking about his gear of the year (fuel exe gets a mention) - Gear of the year – Guy Kesteven selects his top 10 MTB products of 2022

But in the same section he talks about the fuel exe , he says this

While it’s certainly not the first lighter weight e-MTB, it certainly cements the relevance of that segment and with the menu of software updates we’ve had hinted at, it marks a next level shift in how you, your bike, it’s usage and the shop/brand will interact in the future. Genuinely EXeciting stuff...

Anyone know what the software updates he is talking about might be?
I'd just like to be able to turn the display off completely. Like Specialized's stealth mode.

Dec 30, 2022
Brasil
Hello!
Newbie here, got a Fuel exe 9.8 xt.

Brought bike home and tried to link the app to the bike. In these process I am getting a weird message from the app "Something went wrong. Bike type not found", and couldn't connect to the bike.

These is the first fuel ex-e that my LBS sold, so they don't know much about these problem. Could some one help me link bike and app, or point me to the right direction? I willing to connect and setup the motor configuration to get the most from these rig.

Thanks in advance!

Luiz Andre.

IMG_7487.PNG

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I'd just like to be able to turn the display off completely. Like Specialized's stealth mode.
It would also be nice to adjust the brightness, I find the display a little bright for night riding. Maybe Off/Low/Hi or something simple.
here's a slightly different solution - we use a small bag on the top tube to carry an iPhone or a few essentials
a cut-out in the bottom allows access to the tcu display

top bag.jpg top view.jpg

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
Hello!
Newbie here, got a Fuel exe 9.8 xt.

Brought bike home and tried to link the app to the bike. In these process I am getting a weird message from the app "Something went wrong. Bike type not found", and couldn't connect to the bike.

These is the first fuel ex-e that my LBS sold, so they don't know much about these problem. Could some one help me link bike and app, or point me to the right direction? I willing to connect and setup the motor configuration to get the most from these rig.

Thanks in advance!

Luiz Andre.

View attachment 103746

Check if Bluetooth is allowed for the Trek Central app.

Franrene

Nov 8, 2022
Spain
I have the Domane+ road bike, I know this thread is about the Fuel, but maybe you can help me.
I have some THM Clavicula cranks on a bike and I want to put them on the Domane+.
Do you know what kind of bottom bracket this bike has?, it comes with Praxis crankset and a M30 BB bottom bracket.
Thanks.

RoktMyDog

Feb 23, 2021
USA
9.8 buyers beware! Some of these bikes, mine included, have been fitted with the much lower spec and price alloy cranks in lieu of the carbon cranks listed in the spec sheet. The store was unaware of this and said Trek headquarters stated that there was a long lead time associated with the carbon cranks and they did not want to delay release of the bikes. I can totally understand the reasoning behind this and am pleased my bike was not delayed, however it is pretty piss poor that they did not notify customers of this and proceeded to charge them full price.

I suggest that everyone who has received or is expecting a 9.8 or 9.9 check for this as I have seen pics of other 9.8 bikes with the alloy cranks.

Aside from this I am absolutely loving the bike, perfect in every way and have no regrets switching from my Ibis Ripmo V2.

View attachment 96299
Same here. Alloys came on the bike that shipped to me in mid November. Shop owner is a friend so don't think it'll be an issue but don't know if he even noticed...
Thanks for the heads up

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles