Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Ok so, in the interests of range discussion. Ride #3 for me this morning. I'm starting to blow out the cobwebs but very much out of shape and far heavier than my normal self at an embarrassing 97kg.

This is a standard quick morning ride around my local. Hard work at the moment being out of shape and full of head cold if I'm honest. But, the numbers might be of use to someone interested in range. I got home from this ride with 42% battery. It was almost all in factory configured mode 2 or "trail". I'm heavy and out of shape so this is pretty much worst case for what I'm going to get out of it :)

Interestingly, my average speed is about 4-5km/h lower than on my last bike, the Orbea Wild FS. I was in better shape and lighter then too.

1663368389026.png

1663368395770.png

This middle power mode delivers more assist than I expected from a lower powered bike. It's proper e-bike levels of support and I can climb the steepest bits around with it no problem. Not as fast as a Gen 4 on boost, of course, but it's plenty more than I actually need. I think I'll probably end up configuring this one a little lower powered and using it most of the time, with ECO on flat transitions. Boost isn't going to ever be "zero effort super shuttle" like on the big bike though, so seems kind of pointless. Might as well just shift down and use the middle mode, save the battery.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Oh there is one negative I've found, and that is after landing quite hard the motor support sometimes seems to disappear for couple of pedal strokes. Not sure why, whether mechanical with the torque sensor or what. Be nice if that could be firmwared out.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I’m at the Ex Enduro and there are some Bontrager guys here riding Treks eXEs - the bikes look cracking. Lots of KSLs here too but way less Levos this year

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
PXL_20220917_094955110.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

Hey everyone. Maiden voyage on my new 9.7.

I sold my Kenevo SL Expert and managed to get a good deal on the 9.7. Here are some first impressions and questions I have having owned both bikes.

The Ride:
The EXe is one of the most fun ebikes I have ever owned/ridden. It's hella playful and makes climbing a joy, the KSL was a bit boring on the climbs. On the downs and on my first ride I managed to match my KSL descending times. Which is quite a statement vs the KSL ploughing machine. They are very different bikes and tick certain boxes. I have found joy in this quiet yet punchy motor which is the smoothest thing I have ever felt. I highly recommend upping the fork to 160mm travel as I felt the bike was capable of just about anything. Didn't lack much in the rear either! Smiles all day.

Some questions and issues:
1 - The TCU seems to protrude at the bottom in the frame, will water ingress here not be a problem?
2 - How can we tell what version firmware we currently have on the motor and what the latest firmware is?
3 - Will OTA firmware updates be possible in the near future? I would most certainly hope so!
4 - How does one tell when the bike was built to see if the crank torque issue was solved by build?
5 - I felt a small gear grind or strange engagement on the motor twice during my ride. It most certainly shook me a little and did not sound good for the motor, anybody else experienced this?

What a bike! I'm totally stoked having come from a KSL - I was very worried this bike would not handle and I'm stoked - Well done Trek and TQ!

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
...My order began as a 9.5 until I saw that Hex Blue in person on another bike, yikes...no offense to anyone who has it, just not my thing....

Did the Hex Blue Fuel that you saw look the same color as this photo from Trek's website?

hex jpg.jpg

I ordered a 9.8XT in Mulsanne Blue and I'm wondering how it looks compared to the 9.5 Hex Blue. If anyone has seen a Mulsanne Blue Fuel, please let me know what you think of it. It looks to me like the bike colors on Treks website are photoshopped to be more intense (saturated) than the bikes actually are.

Here is Mulsanne Blue 9.8XT from Treks website.

Mulsanne jpg.jpg

thecellofellow

Sep 16, 2022
Pacific Northwet
Did the Hex Blue Fuel that you saw look the same color as this photo from Trek's website?

View attachment 97344
I ordered a 9.8XT in Mulsanne Blue and I'm wondering how it looks compared to the 9.5 Hex Blue. If anyone has seen a Mulsanne Blue Fuel, please let me know what you think of it. It looks to me like the bike colors on Treks website are photoshopped to be more intense (saturated) than the bikes actually are.

View attachment 97345
I’ve seen the Mulsanne and Hex Blue in person (different models admittedly). The Mulsanne looks really nice and I was tempted to go that route, but the 9.8XT wasn’t for me and I wasn’t about to pay $500 for a bicycle paint job to upgrade on the 9.7. The Hex Blue looks extremely cheap, toy-ish by comparison, and I notice Trek tends to use it on their cheaper bikes and builds, probably as a sort of penalty box. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but I firmly believe Trek uses the colors to tip buyers into higher margin bikes and builds.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I’ve seen the Mulsanne and Hex Blue in person (different models admittedly). The Mulsanne looks really nice and I was tempted to go that route, but the 9.8XT wasn’t for me and I wasn’t about to pay $500 for a bicycle paint job to upgrade on the 9.7. The Hex Blue looks extremely cheap, toy-ish by comparison, and I notice Trek tends to use it on their cheaper bikes and builds, probably as a sort of penalty box. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but I firmly believe Trek uses the colors to tip buyers into higher margin bikes and builds.
Thank you very much for that good news! I thought I wouldn't get an answer to this question so this is an excellent surprise and also a big relief because I was afraid Mulsanne might just be a fancy name for the same cheap Hex paint.

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
PXL_20220918_102712603.jpg

Be sure to check your speed sensor cable ladies and gents. Mine pulled out a little from the motor area and it could be quite a mess if your rear wheel or whatever catches the cable and pulls it out. It was cable tied (not properly) from factory. So be sure to check the play there and tie it again closer to the motor against the brake line.

Cheers

yase

Jul 30, 2022
Perth
View attachment 97412

Be sure to check your speed sensor cable ladies and gents. Mine pulled out a little from the motor area and it could be quite a mess if your rear wheel or whatever catches the cable and pulls it out. It was cable tied (not properly) from factory. So be sure to check the play there and tie it again closer to the motor against the brake line.

Cheers

20220827_105735.jpg

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I’m starting to feel better about the range on the EXe. (Before I forget, my weight is 185 lbs / 84 kg.)

My Friday ride was 16 mi / 3000 ft. All Trail mode except for the last few miles when I went to Boost when I knew I had plenty of battery left. IIRC I had low 20% battery remaining.

My Saturday ride was 21 mi / 3000 ft. All Eco mode except for the last 5 miles when I went to Boost when I knew I had plenty of battery left to climb back to the car. I had 24% battery remaining.

Today’s ride was 18 mi / 3200 ft. All Eco mode, sort of as a max range test. I had 38% battery remaining. The first 6 mi was a pretty steady 400 ft/mi. Eco was enough where I felt good the whole way. Kinda like I used to 10 yrs ago on a light XC bike. Still had to put in effort but not redlining or sweating profusely.

So with today’s data point, if I can get 4000-5000 ft on Eco I’m happy. With the extender battery maybe the same but in Trail??? In my 10+ yrs of riding I’ve only done bigger days than that on a few occasions. Almost becomes difficult to find ride spots with more than that around here.

Eco mode is good for riding with regular bikes and decently strong riders. I need Trail to ride with FF eMTBs. Even then I’m working pretty hard to keep up. Luckily most of my FF eMTB friends don’t like climbing so they just cruise uphill.

I’m really starting to get comfortable with the geo on the EXe. Feels very similar to my Ripmo, which I love. I may even feel better on the EXe after only a week on it. Riding is fun again. I’ve been struggling a bit to get back in top form after a collarbone break and two 2 week illness episodes in the last 5 months. In the last 9 days I’ve done 7 rides, 116 miles, and 20,600 ft of climbing.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
It’s time for more pics of the EXe in its preferred habitat.

My bike heading for the “More Fun” trail near Canyonlands, Utah.
4517926E-B885-4C49-BE57-F623D3973308.jpeg

Mrs levity’s bike enjoying slickrock in canyonlands
317B21EA-61E2-4BC8-ACC0-4C9805574CA1.jpeg

and near Dolores, Colorado
4D3E193C-A54C-4130-B6FD-4ABA55FA746D.jpeg

(can you spot Ernie?)

Last edited:

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
It’s time for more pics of the EXe in its preferred habitat.

My bike heading for the “More Fun” trail near Canyonlands, Utah.
View attachment 97604

Mrs levity’s bike enjoying slickrock in canyonlands
View attachment 97603

and near Dolores, Colorado
View attachment 97605

(cen you spot Ernie?)
That’s a nice color.

View attachment 97344

View attachment 97345
I saw the Mulsanne Blue indoors. It was deeper and richer than the hex. Like the picture you posted but maybe deeper.

prolix2

Aug 21, 2022
United States
The Trek Denver Downtown store had an EXE 9.7 orange. Good looking bike. Smooth riding (in the parking lot) Motor made zero noise--at least couldn't hear it above the city sounds. Obviously couldn't tell about power but clearly not the initial acceleration of my Rise. With taking a look if you are in the area.
I ended up getting that very bike, thanks to your mentioning it. Do you remember, or you may not have even noticed, that the lower battery cover is missing?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
On the phone with a local dealer about availability of a large 9.7. He asked me about a color preference and I told him none. Got a quote for a blue one in mid October. Guess I was not comprehending the $500 up charge for paint. Rather have a range extender than the color for almost the same money.

Mitch@Trek

Official Trek
TREK
Dec 30, 2020
Waterloo, WI
View attachment 97334

I sold my Kenevo SL Expert and managed to get a good deal on the 9.7. Here are some first impressions and questions I have having owned both bikes.

The Ride:
The EXe is one of the most fun ebikes I have ever owned/ridden. It's hella playful and makes climbing a joy, the KSL was a bit boring on the climbs. On the downs and on my first ride I managed to match my KSL descending times. Which is quite a statement vs the KSL ploughing machine. They are very different bikes and tick certain boxes. I have found joy in this quiet yet punchy motor which is the smoothest thing I have ever felt. I highly recommend upping the fork to 160mm travel as I felt the bike was capable of just about anything. Didn't lack much in the rear either! Smiles all day.

Some questions and issues:
1 - The TCU seems to protrude at the bottom in the frame, will water ingress here not be a problem? No issue with water here - we always account for drainage on our bikes since you certainly need to wash them
2 - How can we tell what version firmware we currently have on the motor and what the latest firmware is? The versions are 1.2.111 and 1.1.91
3 - Will OTA firmware updates be possible in the near future? I would most certainly hope so!
4 - How does one tell when the bike was built to see if the crank torque issue was solved by build? Only Trek can see this but I would recommend checking torque regardless.
5 - I felt a small gear grind or strange engagement on the motor twice during my ride. It most certainly shook me a little and did not sound good for the motor, anybody else experienced this?

What a bike! I'm totally stoked having come from a KSL - I was very worried this bike would not handle and I'm stoked - Well done Trek and TQ!

Happy to hear you're enjoying your new Fuel EXe! Added some answers that I could speak to above in red.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
On the phone with a local dealer about availability of a large 9.7. He asked me about a color preference and I told him none. Got a quote for a blue one in mid October. Guess I was not comprehending the $500 up charge for paint. Rather have a range extender than the color for almost the same money.

With the 9.8, Satin Baja Yellow costs $500 more than Mulsanne blue. With the 9.7, Mulsanne costs $500 more than Matte Galactic Grey to Black Fade. Therefore, Yellow paint is a $1000 premium over the default 9.7 Galactic Grey to Black Fade.

Xinto

Jun 21, 2022
Finland
With the 9.8, Satin Baja Yellow costs $500 more than Mulsanne blue. With the 9.7, Mulsanne costs $500 more than Matte Galactic Grey to Black Fade. Therefore, Yellow paint is a $1000 premium over the default 9.7 Galactic Grey to Black Fade.
9.7 Pennyflake & Galactic gray 7999€ and Deep smoke & Mulsanne blue & Baja yellow 8599€

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
9.7 Pennyflake & Galactic gray 7999€ and Deep smoke & Mulsanne blue & Baja yellow 8599€
OH--that is why there is a range of MSRP. Thanks.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
It's almost worth upgrading to the 9.8 in the same color Mulsanne blue for $600 more than the 9.7. You get all XT drivetrain including the XT 8120 brakes and carbon wheels for only $600 more than the Mulsanne blue 9.7.

I guess it depends which bike has the least wait time and if you want Fox over Rock Shox suspension. Also depends if you like to tinker and upgrade parts yourself or not, then the 9.7 is your best option for the 600 less price.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
View attachment 97334

Hey there, nice build :- ) Always happy to see ZEB on anything :- ). Just like I would build it. While I have no intention to swap from my Kenevo SL as I love it as a bike, even if the motor is the weaker aspect of it (purely from sound standpoint for me), I am really interested in deeper comparison.
I up-duroed many bikes in my short lifetime so I am curious where you will find limit to the rear suspension. Imho geometry is already as aggressive as can be so it's all about the 14cm in the back. Can the bike take 62,5 or even 65mm stroke? Or does the wheel run into seattube. Perhaps with mullet it could up-stroke?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles