Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
My Alloy Comp is due later this month. What’s the consensus RE frame protection? It looks like Specialized do a reasonable job out of the box with most of the hot spots having some protection so I’m tempted not to bother.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
My Alloy Comp is due later this month. What’s the consensus RE frame protection? It looks like Specialized do a reasonable job out of the box with most of the hot spots having some protection so I’m tempted not to bother.
Tbh yeah they have done a really good job with frame protection , I've got ride wrap on my bike which is also excellent 🤟🤟

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
Hey Guys,

I've got some issues with my rear factory stock shock on my Levo Expert, there is no difference in changing any settings it's all the same. So, something is definitely wrong with it.
My LBS confirmed it and said there is no sense of sending it to Fox, the lead times at the moment for a service are simply to long. I should wait till winter arrives....

Any experience or recommendation? Is it a known fault with the Fox X2?

Cheers

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Hey Guys,

I've got some issues with my rear factory stock shock on my Levo Expert, there is no difference in changing any settings it's all the same. So, something is definitely wrong with it.
My LBS confirmed it and said there is no sense of sending it to Fox, the lead times at the moment for a service are simply to long. I should wait till winter arrives....

Any experience or recommendation? Is it a known fault with the Fox X2?

Cheers
i would reach out to Fox Warranty directly and bypass your LBS. they have been very responsive each time i have worked direct, and turnaround time was 10 days from shipping out with a warranty issue. they will provide you a prepaid shipping label to get your shock sent.

i just read in a thread here that another rider had an issue with the X2 and Fox upgraded the shock because they did not have stock to replace the X2. worth a shot to reach out to them direct from the Fox website.

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
Just wrote them an e-Mail with the description of my Problem...we will see.

Thanks for the advice, was not aware that I might contact them directly.

Cheers

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
20220603_180448.jpg

timo_

Mar 21, 2021
Germany
You still running the stock forged crankset that comes in the Expert, or are these the Carbon crankset? If they are the stock forged, what crank boots are you running and do they fit snug?
Hi!
This are the original S-Works carbon cranks

Last edited:

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Did anyone ever put the 160mm cascade link on (not the long shock) and care to share an opinion on it?

Couple of my bearings are toast in the linkages.

Ill either replace or go cascade. Aware of the weight limit

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Did anyone ever put the 160mm cascade link on (not the long shock) and care to share an opinion on it?

Just put mine on two days ago and rode it for the first time yesterday. I am very happy with this. The install was much easier than the CC link for my 2020 levo. Only took 45 minutes. Added five psi over the stock shock pressure, adjusted the LSR rebound damping one click slower & went riding. The improvement I was looking for was to have the bike ride higher in its travel than stock link set up. That way I know it has done this is that the bike recovered its ability for quicker turn ins, which it had lost a bit when I increased the fork travel from 160 mm to 170, even with flip chip in the high position. I know it's expensive but it's a real improvement for me. The increased shock travel to 160mm is much appreciated as well. I am happy that I spent this money. I should add that our trails are very tight, technical and extremely bumpy with frequent wet conditions w/ slippery roots/ greasy rocks. Not sure I would need this for wide open, smooth trails.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy

Yes, little bit better, more travel. But and the end nothing really shocking

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Pulled the trigger on a 2022 Comp Alloy in red today. Been screwing around with it today. Playing with master control and switched to tubeless. I will ride tomorrow.

Compared to my 2013 stump jumper? No comparison.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
First ride on the 2022 Levo Comp Alloy is done. Here are some random observations. As a reference I've been riding a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29".

1. Levo has more slack than the SJ and I like that. Often I felt "over the front" on the SJ.

2. Levo feels big and solid, as you expect, since it's 20lbs more than the SJ.

3. Levo corners much better, it has a tighter turning radius which makes the switchbacks much more enjoyable.

4. The front tire is infinitely more stable and grippy than the Purgatory on the SJ. I need to replace that tire, it's bad.

5. The levo is really solid on turns and it really wants you to lean in. I need more time to build up that trust.

6. Suspension - no comparison. What I really liked about the SJ when I purchased it 10 years ago was it'd run over anything. Fly off a single track? Just hang on and keep the bike upright, it'll run over everything in your way. The Levo has that feeling in spades. Haven't tested it yet but I'm sure I will.

7. Battery life is shocking. I ran default settings and switched between ECO and Trail, mostly trail, and then Turbo for a few stretches on flat and climbs. I used 52% for nearly 2hrs, 21miles, and 2,7000 elevation gain. The bike will run longer than I'm willing to ride.

8. I need carbon bars. There's a lot of "feedback" from the aluminum bars. I have a jacked up wrist from long ago and the wrist was sore. The good hand had a few numb fingers. I play with new bar and spaces to raise the height to reduce the pressure on the grips.

9. An e-bike behaves differently than an analog.

Example 1: Riding down a twisty single track at speed it's not a great idea to pedal forward to change the pedal positions for a turn. The bike says "oh, you want more power? here you go!". No!!! Now I'm taking way more speed into the turn.

Example 2. I was riding alongside a curb in the street to the trail head. Normally, I'll just stomp on the pedals, lift the frontend up and swing it up and over the curb. Levo has other ideas. When I stomped the pedals and swung the front over the curb the bike shot out from under me and I was leaning half way off hopping on one leg trying not to dump it.

Example 3. Going downhill the levo doesn't coast. Get off the brakes and it accelerates and quickly. When to brake and let up will take more practice.

10. Surprisingly nimble, it's much more "flickable" than the SJ. A couple of times on steep sections I kicked out the rear or hit the rear brake to get sideways. First time I did it I thought the rear end was going to pass me. LOL

11. My arms are spent. The bike is heavy and I was muscling it around. Assuming I'll do less of that as I get better at letting the bike do the work.

Screenshot_20220609-094726.png

Last edited:

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
First ride on the 2022 Levo Comp Alloy is done. Here are some random observations. As a reference I've been riding a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR 29".

1. Levo has more slack than the SJ and I like that. Often I felt "over the front" on the ST.

2. Levo feels big and solid, as you expect, since it's 20lbs more than the ST.

3. Levo corners much better, it has a tighter turning radius which makes the switchbacks much more enjoyable.

4. The front tire is infinitely more stable and grippy than the Purgatory on the SJ. I need to replace that tire, it's bad.

5. The levo is really solid on turns and it really wants you to lean in. I need more time to build up that trust.

6. Suspension - no comparison. What I really liked about the SJ when I purchased it 10 years ago was it'd run over anything. Fly off a single track? Just hang on and keep the bike upright, it'll run over everything in your way. The Levo has that feeling in spades. Haven't tested it yet but I'm sure I will.

7. Battery life is shocking. I ran default settings and switched between ECO and Trail, mostly trail, and then Turbo for a few stretches on flat and climbs. I used 52% for nearly 2hrs, 21miles, and 2,7000 elevation gain. The bike will run longer than I'm willing to ride.

8. I need carbon bars. There's a lot of "feedback" from the aluminum bars. I have a jacked up wrist from long ago and the wrist was sore. The good hand had a few numb fingers. I play with new bar and spaces to raise the height to reduce the pressure on the grips.

Example 1: Riding down a twisty single track at speed it's not a great idea to pedal forward to change the pedal positions for a turn. The bike says "oh, you want more power? here you go!". No!!! Now I'm taking way more speed into the turn.

Example 2. I was riding alongside a curb in the street to the trail head. Normally, I'll just stomp on the pedals, lift the frontend up and swing it up and over the curb. Levo has other ideas. When I stomped the pedals and swung the front over the curb the bike shot out from under me and I was leaning half way off hopping on one leg trying not to dump it.

Example 3. Going downhill the levo doesn't coast. Get off the brakes and it accelerates and quickly. When to brake and let up will take more practice.

10. Surprisingly nimble, it's much more "flickable" than the SJ. A couple of times on steep sections I kicked out the rear or hit the rear brake to get sideways. First time I did it I thought the rear end was going to pass me. LOL

11. My arms are spent. The bike is heavy and I was muscling it around. Assuming I'll do less of that as I get better at letting the bike do the work.

View attachment 89830
Check into the OneUp Carbon bars. Huge reduction in feedback from the stock set.

Jason M.

May 19, 2022
RCHO STA MARG

1. Levo has more slack than the SJ and I like that. Often I felt "over the front" on the SJ.

View attachment 89830

View attachment 89830
nice job brig did not know your local. I am from the OC ( RSM )

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
I've settled on this tuning. I ride in Eco mostly unless I'm spent or a particularly nasty climb.

Acceleration at 20% makes the bike smoother and read it'll improve battery life a bit.

Screenshot_20220612-155414.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles