Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
What wheels do you have on it? I've found the stock Roval wheels to have quite a lot of flex. Going back to back with my carbon wheels the difference in steering precision and rear end stiffness is substantial.

Nukeproof Horizon V2, I always thought they were reasonably stiff really as I've got three sets on 3 bikes, much better than the rovals. May double check the spokes but it feels like the suspension linkage to me. Or maybe just the weight of the ebike

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
Does any one find their Gen 3 Levo a bit.... sloppy out back? Hard to describe but the bike to me feels as though the rear end can be quite wobbly. Almost like the rear triangle is made out of flexible plastic.

Everything is tight, so unless the bearings are toast I think it might just be the suspension design. Finding it quite off putting as I recently bought a 22 Aluminium Patrol and its stiff as you like so jumping back onto the Levo it feels like somethings wrong with it.

Had the very same feeling on my Comp carbon 2022, one of the many reasons why it went back for a refund. I noticed it after the 3rd motor replacement. Run a torque wrench over all the bolts and check the rear wheel bearings.
When I checked mine by pulling back and forth at 12 o'clock position on the wheel, I could see the whole rear end flex and could feel play in the wheel bearings, this was on a 3 month old bike.
I've just purchased a Levo pro 2022 and this is solid, the back end has no flex at all so obviously not a normal thing with these bikes.

bastman

May 2, 2022
France
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum because I'm very seriously considering changing my beloved but too short (reach) Orbea Wild FS for a Levo pro 2022 that I'll see at my LBS this weekend.

Reliability is important to me and I tend to ride and race my bikes in rough french alpine terrain during all seasons.

I read various reports on reliability issues regarding the Turbo Levo motor and TCU. For those who purchased a 2022 levo with the latest motor and TCU, did you experience any of those issues and what could you share with me about them? Would you buy it again?

For comparison my Wild FS / Bosch CX / PowerTube 625 has been nothing but stellar no matter how much high pressure washing / winter bashing / racing I could throw at it except for a left crank unscrewing itself regularly that I fixed with some blue loctite.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
I just put downpayment on a S4 Comp Alloy in green. Picking up towards the end of May as I'm heading out of town. Looking forward to riding it and can't believe I'm paying what I'm paying for a bike! They are few and far between at my LBS so I figure I better bite the bullet while I can.

I'm a hair shy of 6'2 with a 32" inseam. While I have the S4, there is an S5 in the back not put together yet that I could also get. Any opinions?

Teghogh

May 2, 2022
Socal
posted a thread but didnt get an answer:

So it turns out that the base alloy does not come with guide RE brakes as specified on the spec.
The brakes are G2 RE...
I can’t seem to find any information on them online. I understand that the previous gen guide REs came with code calipers but have no indication whether the same trend is continued on the G2 RE brakes. Any information is appreciated

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
I've only had my 2022 comp alloy a few months and not many miles....and the battery just failed. While on a ride the bike turned off and would not restart. Bike is at LBS getting repaired. Warranty is great through specialized but be prepared to use it. Pedaling or pushing a heavy ebike out of the woods is not high on my list of things I want to do.we will see if issues continue. I crossed my fingers hoping I would be lucky and get a bike without issue as some have had....I did not, it disappointed pretty quickly in terms of reliability....it is a great riding bike though. Not sure if that is enough to keep me happy, time will tell.

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum because I'm very seriously considering changing my beloved but too short (reach) Orbea Wild FS for a Levo pro 2022 that I'll see at my LBS this weekend.

Reliability is important to me and I tend to ride and race my bikes in rough french alpine terrain during all seasons.

I read various reports on reliability issues regarding the Turbo Levo motor and TCU. For those who purchased a 2022 levo with the latest motor and TCU, did you experience any of those issues and what could you share with me about them? Would you buy it again?

For comparison my Wild FS / Bosch CX / PowerTube 625 has been nothing but stellar no matter how much high pressure washing / winter bashing / racing I could throw at it except for a left crank unscrewing itself regularly that I fixed with some blue loctite.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
I just put downpayment on a S4 Comp Alloy in green. Picking up towards the end of May as I'm heading out of town. Looking forward to riding it and can't believe I'm paying what I'm paying for a bike! They are few and far between at my LBS so I figure I better bite the bullet while I can.

I'm a hair shy of 6'2 with a 32" inseam. While I have the S4, there is an S5 in the back not put together yet that I could also get. Any opinions?

You need to sit on them really, but I am 6’2” and have had GEN2 XL and GEN3 S5 with 210mm dropper.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego

You can get lost in the threads with Levo's that have had issues. There are a lot of bikes out there with zero issues. Just know Specialized has the best warranty process in the eMTB arena. Every eMTB "could" have an issue, but it's more about what company will get you back on the trails with least hassle and timely turnaround.

I say get the bike and go ride!

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire

I too felt exactly the same when I bought my 2022 Comp carbon. Right from the off I had nothing but problems and went through 3 motors in 3 months. At the time, I said I'd never buy another specialized ever again.
However, the bug had bitten hard and I bought another Levo, this time the Pro and my God I'm so glad I did.

In the time I've had my previous bike I've learnt that Specialized are the best manufacturer out there when it comes to warranty claims.
I wouldn't have bought another ebike from another manufacturer given the issues I had experienced before. I know I wouldn't have had it repaired so quickly if I'd of bought a different brand.
Yes it was a pain at the time having to have it repaired, but if it had been with another manufacturer I think things would have been far worse in waiting for it to be repaired.

My advice is to buy it from a dealership you have trust in, most of the issues with warranty claims when it comes to specialize, are with the dealership, either with trying to fob you off with a noisy motor, as being acceptable and, "oh they all do that mate" to a dealer that has 6 motors in stock and can repair your bike while you wait and be back off home in an hours time.

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
For all of you 6’4” tall gen 3 turbo levo riders out there. Are you on S5 or S6 size bikes?
I just took delivery last week of a S5.
I am technically 6'3", but short legs and long body. 32" inseam, long torso. I just clear standing over the S5 frame. Essentially a 6'5" torso. I needed to put the seat all the way back, and just installed a 90mm steam and 800mm bar. The cockpit fits very well now. I think a S6 would've been a better fit, but I cannot say the difference the longer wheelbase would make on handling. As a note, the bike shops I visited prior to purchasing all recommended the S4 based on my height only. An S4 cockpit would have been to small I believe. In the end, I based my choice on Rob Rides as he is 6'3" and got the S5.

Sep 19, 2020
Squamish, BC, Canada
I just took delivery last week of a S5.
I am technically 6'3", but short legs and long body. 32" inseam, long torso. I just clear standing over the S5 frame. Essentially a 6'5" torso. I needed to put the seat all the way back, and just installed a 90mm steam and 800mm bar. The cockpit fits very well now. I think a S6 would've been a better fit, but I cannot say the difference the longer wheelbase would make on handling. As a note, the bike shops I visited prior to purchasing all recommended the S4 based on my height only. An S4 cockpit would have been to small I believe. In the end, I based my choice on Rob Rides as he is 6'3" and got the S5.
For all of you 6’4” tall gen 3 turbo levo riders out there. Are you on S5 or S6 size bikes?

I’m 6’2” with long arms and legs. Lots of stand over clearance on my S5 and my previous XL. S5 fits perfect in low/slack aside from throwing on a 210 one up dropper, which will be changed to the new 240 at some point as 210 still doesn’t get high enough.

Bryan C

Apr 24, 2022
Bay Area, CA

So does this tick tick tick sound like the motor is on the way out. It's not the seat as I've tried a couple of seats. Maybe the dropper post?

I have a similar noise in my 2022 alloy Levo. I swapped the seatpost and seat with no change in noise. While riding I can reach down and feel the clicking in the seatpost tube on the frame. My next step was to remove and lube the seatpost but I haven't bothered just yet.

Reactions: iXi

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
So I rode both the S4 and the S5 back to back and decided to stick with the S4. Can't wait to get back from vacation to pick it up!
image.jpeg

Pdog7

Apr 13, 2022
Us
I have a similar noise in my 2022 alloy Levo. I swapped the seatpost and seat with no change in noise. While riding I can reach down and feel the clicking in the seatpost tube on the frame. My next step was to remove and lube the seatpost but I haven't bothered just yet.

I had the same noise. Mine ended up being the rear brake line where it exits the chain stay. There is supposed to be a cable clamp there holding it to the stay, but it seems Specialized didn't put it on all bikes. I ended up disconnecting it at the lever end and twisting the brake line a bit and that fixed it.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Another shit question but I have to ask.

The rear through axle. Do you need an Allen key on both sides to tighten and loosen? My other bike has a through axle which tightens and loosens from only one side.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Another shit question but I have to ask.

The rear through axle. Do you need an Allen key on both sides to tighten and loosen? My other bike has a through axle which tightens and loosens from only one side.
You do not need an Allen key on both sides. Only a 6mm on the noon-drive side to tighten / loosen. Torque setting for the rear axle is 15nm on the Carbon frame

Reactions: iXi

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
You can get lost in the threads with Levo's that have had issues. There are a lot of bikes out there with zero issues. Just know Specialized has the best warranty process in the eMTB arena. Every eMTB "could" have an issue, but it's more about what company will get you back on the trails with least hassle and timely turnaround.

I say get the bike and go ride!

Been constant for me

Shame the repeater wasn't around last year

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Had the very same feeling on my Comp carbon 2022, one of the many reasons why it went back for a refund. I noticed it after the 3rd motor replacement. Run a torque wrench over all the bolts and check the rear wheel bearings.
When I checked mine by pulling back and forth at 12 o'clock position on the wheel, I could see the whole rear end flex and could feel play in the wheel bearings, this was on a 3 month old bike.
I've just purchased a Levo pro 2022 and this is solid, the back end has no flex at all so obviously not a normal thing with these bikes.

Checked the wheels, not them. Swapped them round from the transition and still them same.

All linkage mounts are torqued.

Wondering if its the Sram derailleur mount now so going to replace that if needed, short of replacing the suspension bearings on a 9 month old bike I don't think there's anything else to check

I do think the suspension design is the problem with this bike. If you stand on the pedals at an angle it takes little effort to move that whole rear end side to side, this Clevis mount or whatever it is has so much lateral play in it. No wonder coil shocks have problems and snap.

I've got used to the Transition Patrol alloy which is so stiff and so precise now getting on the Levo it feels like a sloppy mess.

Ill give it another 2 months worth of troubleshooting and probably try sell up for a repeater or look at a Kenevo SL. Or just stick with the Patrol. Its the last bike I buy with this style of suspension linkage.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Couple of things:
1. The stock hanger is not very stout and a cnc one improves shifting.

2. Stock wheel bearing, even though they are dt swiss are low quality with too much play. I upgraded to nsk and what a different. Wheel is super smooth with zero side play.

3. Stock suspension bearings are low quality and contribute to slop in the rear end. Depending on conditions 6 months is about where they start to develop excessive play. I have a full set of nsk bearings on the way. I expect them to last years with no play and super smooth action.

4. Stock shock and fork damper are garbage. I replaced the damper with a custom tuned by avalanche and it's so good I'm going to order a woodie rear shock from him. Looking at a custom one with extra internal overlap.

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Couple of things:
1. The stock hanger is not very stout and a cnc one improves shifting.

2. Stock wheel bearing, even though they are dt swiss are low quality with too much play. I upgraded to nsk and what a different. Wheel is super smooth with zero side play.

3. Stock suspension bearings are low quality and contribute to slop in the rear end. Depending on conditions 6 months is about where they start to develop excessive play. I have a full set of nsk bearings on the way. I expect them to last years with no play and super smooth action.

4. Stock shock and fork damper are garbage. I replaced the damper with a custom tuned by avalanche and it's so good I'm going to order a woodie rear shock from him. Looking at a custom one with extra internal overlap.

Interesting thanks, I think it'll be worth replacing the bearings in the linkages after all then? Was going to grab a set of sealed NTN, SKF or FAG ill check those out. I dont remember the bike feeling like this when I got it but I had just come from a 2019 stumpjumper so was probably used to it. my stumpy bearings were toast after less than a year.

Assume this covers all linkages?

Bearing Suspension Kit
S210600002 BRG MY22 LEVO SUSPENSION BEARING KIT
Bearings - 12 mm ID x 21 mm OD x 5 mm W,DBL SLD (qty 12)
Bearing - Main Pivot - 12 mm ID x 24 mm OD x 6 mm W,DBL SLD (qty 2)
- obviously picked from NTN or something

I'm on Nukeproof Horizon V2 wheels. Cheap but I think reasonable quality (but not bombproof), there's no play on the transition patrol, I dont think there's wheel play at all. I have 3 sets of the V2 wheels on 3 bikes and find them fairly stiff and replace the bearings on them yearly. They are what they are... Better than the alu rovals.

Suspension I'm happy with, replaced the expert kit with factory X2 which I am happy with although extra travel would be welcomed, and Factory 38s. I prefer the tune from the damper in the 38s that came with it so swapped it, the luftkappe and having the bushings sized made all the difference to me for the 38s. I am happy with the suspension performance surprisingly.

Last edited:

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
If your going to take the suspension apart, might as well replace all of them with NTN or equivalent. Gives you a good baseline and won't transfer extra load to the old bearings.

Sounds like you have the shocks sorted. (y) I love the luftkappe in my 36 on the Ripmo.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles