Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Could anyone compare how the new SL rides with motor OFF on the UPHILL (10..15%) compared to the Stumpi Evo or a similar analog bike using SIMILAR tires?

Would you recommend using the bike to replace a stumpi EVO to ride it mostly OFF with the exception of steeper and/or technical climbs?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Could anyone compare how the new SL rides with motor OFF on the UPHILL (10..15%) compared to the Stumpi Evo or a similar analog bike using SIMILAR tires?

Would you recommend using the bike to replace a stumpi EVO to ride it mostly OFF with the exception of steeper and/or technical climbs?
I can’t give you the exact scenario you’re looking for… however here’s a ‘sort of’!

I had a Levo SL 1.1, and own a Stumpy 6-Fattie (2017). I had a friend over who now lives in the Philippines (I’m in Scotland), and we went up Glen Tanar on the bikes. We took it in turns of swapping between the Levo and the Stumpy… over about 20 miles and lots of hills - some of which were 20%+ gradient.

We agreed after a bit of tweaking that riding the Levo SL with the assistance set at 5/5 in Mission Control was about as fair as it could be. The 5/5 covered the slight drag from the motor, and made up for the 5kgs more the bike weighed.

Fast forward 18 months, and I’m now on a Levo SL 1.2. Similar situation - up Glen Tanar again with a different friend borrowing my Stumpy. 5/5 on the 1.2 offered a decent advantage over the Stumpy. The 1.2 motor has more of a punch, especially on the lower settings.
Riding with the motor off was fine, however then the person on the Stumpy had an advantage (other than the nose was more planted on the Levo!). It didn’t seem there was a way of making it ‘fair’ with the 1.2 motor.

Both Levo SL’s were on 29” wheels with 2.4 wide Michelin Wild Enduro tyres.
The Stumpy was always on 27.5” wheels with 3.0 Specialized Purgatory tyres.

Personally, I’m not sure there would be enough of a difference between a Levo SL 1.2 and a Stumpy Evo to justify keeping both. I rarely ride my Stumpy anymore as I ride the Levo on 15/45, so I’m only getting a little bit of help. I just like the fact that I can press a button and get 100% help if there is a steep / technical climb that I’d have to push up on the Stumpy.

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
@beutelfuchs
I do have
- Stumpy Evo 14.x kg crosscountry setting)
- Levo SL 1.2 17.5 kg crosscountry setting
- Levo 23kg (coil/enduro setting)

Started 2013 with eBike
Stumpy Evo 2 years ago were I thought as alternate to the Levo. Downhill/BikePark/alpine area great, but crosscountry a pain because uphill above 10%...
So since 3 Weeks with SL 1.2 - Crosscountry great - I even like to push me in Eco - off rarely however, the weight difference of the bike you will recognize for sure. I even think a the engine does have also some light resistance- not much but off uphill you might feel it.
Today I was on the bike park and alpine downhill with levo sl and its amazing- I didn't miss my levo with the 700 batterie...
To your question;
To me the SL1.2 will replace my Stumpy for sure but actually market doesn't offfer adequate price :-(
Even my Levo is becoming a bit obsolete because some rides which I've never though I ride with the Levo SL instead Levo anymore... gosh; its so an amazing bike

here some pics as impressions were I am riding the SL - what is missing is the rocky, blocked, roots terrains - I didn't stop 😏

IMG_5474.jpeg IMG_5473.jpeg IMG_5603.jpeg IMG_5613.jpeg IMG_5605.jpeg IMG_5614.jpeg IMG_5592.jpeg IMG_5617.jpeg IMG_5598.jpeg IMG_5573.jpeg

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
@p3eps & @Mondfuchs Thank your exstensive descriptions! It pretty much confirms what I expected, thats its not yet 100% there to resemble an accoustic bike in a blind test.
I just can say it for the normal Levo. That has 10/10 as its minimal assist setting and with that is stronger as the Stumpy by a lot. Putting it off on the other hand you don't want to ride it uphill for any prolonged amount of time. While on the flat its no problem as long as you don;t intend to do a time trial.

Has anyone taken the SL to a place like Morzine/Les Gets? How is it on such jumps/tables? Thats where the Levo sucks most, even with battery removed.

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
@beutelfuchs

I'm an amateur rider for bike park but like to jump and drop small to medium size obstacles with 2-6 meters. For that I've used earlier the Levo and because of weight I bought Stumpy Evo. I was yesterday with my SL at
which is similar to your requested regiin (port du soleil in fact) and I would use it.
Of course, keep in mind, its not capable as Enduro/Kenevo SL however it poppy and lof of fun. To me its more capable than myself ;-)

As it seems your close to Switzerland go for Testdays at Lenzerheide (see link above) we're Specialized and many other brands provides test rides possibilities.

Strikos

Aug 21, 2023
Australia
Im switching over to tubeless using the specialized valves that came with the bike. Does the rubber o-ring go on the inside or outside of the rim?

h3ld

Aug 30, 2020
Heidelberg
@beutelfuchs
I do have
- Stumpy Evo 14.x kg crosscountry setting)
- Levo SL 1.2 17.5 kg crosscountry setting
- Levo 23kg (coil/enduro setting)

Started 2013 with eBike
Stumpy Evo 2 years ago were I thought as alternate to the Levo. Downhill/BikePark/alpine area great, but crosscountry a pain because uphill above 10%...
So since 3 Weeks with SL 1.2 - Crosscountry great - I even like to push me in Eco - off rarely however, the weight difference of the bike you will recognize for sure. I even think a the engine does have also some light resistance- not much but off uphill you might feel it.
Today I was on the bike park and alpine downhill with levo sl and its amazing- I didn't miss my levo with the 700 batterie...
To your question;
To me the SL1.2 will replace my Stumpy for sure but actually market doesn't offfer adequate price :-(
Even my Levo is becoming a bit obsolete because some rides which I've never though I ride with the Levo SL instead Levo anymore... gosh; its so an amazing bike

here some pics as impressions were I am riding the SL - what is missing is the rocky, blocked, roots terrains - I didn't stop 😏

View attachment 124431 View attachment 124432 View attachment 124433 View attachment 124434 View attachment 124435 View attachment 124436 View attachment 124437 View attachment 124438 View attachment 124439 View attachment 124440
Nice one! Which color is this? Or did you apply frame protection? If so, which one?

Ride 2d@y

Jul 12, 2023
Mexico

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Has anyone compared SL to Trek EXe?
I'm starting to get interested these "light" eMtb's and levo SL is clearly my number one because i have currently Levo Comp and i like it very much.

But i want check other options also. Trek's removable battery is a plus. And that TQ motor is very interesting.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I'm starting to get interested these "light" eMtb's and levo SL is clearly my number one because i have currently Levo Comp and i like it very much.

But i want check other options also. Trek's removable battery is a plus. And that Fazua motor is very interesting.
Fuel exe uses the tq motor not fazua.
The gen 2 levo sl wasn't available when I bought my fuel exe, but I suspect I still would have gone for the fuel even if it were, for a few reasons.

1. Bigger main battery
2.removable battery
3.low motor noise - it's surprising how much nicer a very quiet motor is.

The gen 2 Levo so does look pretty good though,so would have been a close run thing.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
The gen 2 levo sl wasn't available when I bought my fuel exe, but I suspect I still would have gone for the fuel even if it were, for a few reasons.

1. Bigger main battery
2.removable battery

The gen 2 Levo so does look pretty good though,so would have been a close run thing.
Thanks for the correcting, i edited my post.
One thing what i like new Levo SL is that you can change the geometry.
But that Trek's removable battery is a big plus though.

How many kilometres/miles you have ridden with Trek? Is that motor how reliable?

timo_

Mar 21, 2021
Germany

But i want check other options also. Trek's removable battery is a plus. And that TQ motor is very interesting.
I have an SL 2 and my sister has a Treck Exe. I find the Mahle 1.2 in the SL much stronger and more effective.

And it is lighter. The bike is a dream! I don't regret switching from the ff Levo. 😍

IMG_1037.jpeg IMG_1046.jpeg IMG_1033.jpeg IMG_1044.jpeg IMG_1049.jpeg

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks for the correcting, i edited my post.
One thing what i like new Levo SL is that you can change the geometry.
But that Trek's removable battery is a big plus though.

How many kilometres/miles you have ridden with Trek? Is that motor how reliable?
I've covered about 1700km now - I got the bike in october 2022.

I'm on my second motor - the first failed after 4 months, it was replaced under warranty quickly. the motor completely failed - the cranks effectively became disconnected from the chainring, like the clutch mechanism was broken .

The handlebar control has just failed on me, the "-" button has stopped registering presses.

There have been a few bikes with cracked frames on the fuel exe facebook page, but these have all been replaced under warranty - the failures look like quality control issues to me rather than a defect in the design of the frame, ie the cracks are all in different locations, there isnt really a common place where the frame fails, but still this is not good.

you can change the geo on the trek, but its not as adjustable as the gen 2 levo - I did like that about the levo. On the trek there is a flip chip that allows you to raise or lower the bottom bracket by 5mm, in theory its to allow you to run a 27.5 or 29 inch back wheel without changing the geo, but it also works to adjust geometry without changing wheel size.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Might have a slight issue with the bar controller in the SL Gen 2. Changing power modes is problematic and doesn’t usually work. I’ll ping a message the RiderSupport and see what they say.
Otherwise, bike is fantastic. Tested the power around the battery draw again today. Drew 8.4 watts when I worked it hard. The power of this new motor and how much quieter it is under power has surprised me if I’m honest. Very impressed.

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
Has anyone upgraded cranks yet ?

Looks like they are standard dub cranks but without the spindle. Is it just as simple as that ? Would 5dev dub cranks work? How about xx cranks meant for acoustic bikes ?

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin

1. Bigger main battery
2.removable battery

I ended up buying a Fuel Exe while waiting for Specialized to release SL2. I had an SL1 before the Exe

I sold the Exe and went to the SL2. While the battery may be bigger, the SL2 gets a lot more range and does it with more power as well. I do not know why, but the Exe consumes power very fast.

The Exe is a bit quieter, but not by a ton with the new SL motor.

I prefer the ride of the SL2 so far, but I switched bikes while recovering from a collarbone break. My initial reaction now that I am back on the bike is the SL2 is a lot more enduro oriented.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Those who are interested in crank with 155mm; the Levo SL Kids got those and based on my dealer those arw compatible for the Levo SL Gen2.
Not compatible with Gen1
I’d quite like 165mm instead of 170… but I feel 155mm would be a bit short for me. I had 165mm on my Gen1 bike for about 3 years and found it the ideal compromise between leverage and rock strikes!!

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
I’d quite like 165mm instead of 170… but I feel 155mm would be a bit short for me. I had 165mm on my Gen1 bike for about 3 years and found it the ideal compromise between leverage and rock strikes!!
I do have on Levo 2020 Hopes 155mm cranks and since then I don't have any more hits from roots and rocks... however on Levo SL Gen2 I don't have hits on cranks neither with 170mm stock cranks. I'm more interested due to keep easier the cadence of above 80 with shorter cranks. And the feel downhill were the feeta more closer together. I'm still thinking to get them.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Has anyone upgraded cranks yet ?

Looks like they are standard dub cranks but without the spindle. Is it just as simple as that ? Would 5dev dub cranks work? How about xx cranks meant for acoustic bikes ?
Don't know about SL but i upgraded my Levo Comp cranks to Hope's.

370069-00-d-798460.jpg

Bluedirtz

May 6, 2023
PNW Dirt
Everyone talking about cranks but no one answering my question. Is it a dumb question? I promise I tried the googles first.
Don’t lose hope! I changed mine to 165 from 170! I got from Fanatik bike and they installed as well. When I get home, I’ll post a photo of the model number. They got it direct from SRAM, and I guess only dealers could see/order it.

The 165 is WAY better and no more pedal strikes!

I also switch to coil ane zeb(160) and been really digging this set up. With the new set and RE attached it clocked at 45.5 lbs.

IMG_1706.jpeg

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Don’t lose hope! I changed mine to 165 from 170! I got from Fanatik bike and they installed as well. When I get home, I’ll post a photo of the model number. They got it direct from SRAM, and I guess only dealers could see/order it.

The 165 is WAY better and no more pedal strikes!

I also switch to coil ane zeb(160) and been really digging this set up. With the new set and RE attached it clocked at 45.5 lbs.

View attachment 124846
This is not a chop mate, nice bike.

With a pair of heavier duty tyres this SL becomes a low powered full fat weight bike. So then I go what's the point? I may as well have the power and all the range....and I can carry a water bottle! I'd love to try one of these SL bikes with Berd spoked wheels with a Mezzer and a DB IL coil though.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
This is not a chop mate, nice bike.

With a pair of heavier duty tyres this SL becomes a low powered full fat weight bike. So then I go what's the point? I may as well have the power and all the range....and I can carry a water bottle! I'd love to try one of these SL bikes with Berd spoked wheels with a Mezzer and a DB IL coil though.

I always felt this with the kenevo SL, once the weight creeps up to 19.8/20kgs It starts getting into full power bike weight with 500wh batterys.

I really liked the gen 1 sl and 2 as they're trail bikes and keep the weight down whilst being fun.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles