Other 2023 Levo SL - Full 29er?

afk314

Apr 22, 2023
Boise, ID
I'm curious to hear from people who have ridden the 2023 Levo SL in both mullet and full 29er modes. What have you found? What do you like best? What's your height and bike size?

Thanks!
Adam

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I had 2x 29" wheels, so set mine up as a 29'er.
I'm just under 6ft 2" tall, and am on the S4.

Haven't tried a 27.5" rear... but have ordered a new set of i9 315 Enduro wheels as a 29" pair - so have no intention of making it a mullet. It's plenty manoeuvrable and playful (for me anyway) as a 29'er compared to my previous Levo SL 1.1 - which was XL.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’m 176cm and rode both the S3 and S4 and found the latter to be a better fit. Could have gone either way but I like a longer bike and the S4 was perfect for me.
Rode them in both mullet and 29er and as always 29er just rolls better.
Never gotten on with mullet in all generations of Kenevos and Levos.

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
I actually prefer that's its mullet in S4.
I am 184 cm 95 kilo. So nimble and agile riding tech trails. I guess if I where to only run XC Trails 29 would be better.
I had S5 Levo Gen 3 before.

Smuggler

May 27, 2023
Marin, CA
I'm curious to hear from people who have ridden the 2023 Levo SL in both mullet and full 29er modes. What have you found? What do you like best? What's your height and bike size?

Thanks!
Adam
I ride gnarly trails on my 2023 Levo SL and DEFINITELY prefer it in 29".
I have a 29" Maxxis Dissector 2.4 in the rear and leave the flip chip in the 27.5 position. Plenty of tire clearance without lengthening the chainstay. I find this setup to be the best and I tested both wheel sizes thoroughly.
IMHO Specialized should have shipped it without the chainstay flipchip, as a 29" all around and in the slack headset position but fixed.

Smuggler

May 27, 2023
Marin, CA
Are there any TCU settings that need to change when switching to a 29” rear wheel?
Good question, I didn't change wheel circumference setting.
The Mastermind application doesn't let you change circumference setting, you have to go to a bike shop (which I never do) I understand shops have access to a program to change the setting and will do it for free or just a small charge.

Distance and speed settings will be slightly off when running a 29" but personally I don't use them. I suppose assist will stay to a higher speed, but doesn't matter when mountain biking - maybe on the road.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Good question, I didn't change wheel circumference setting.
The Mastermind application doesn't let you change circumference setting, you have to go to a bike shop (which I never do) I understand shops have access to a program to change the setting and will do it for free or just a small charge.

Distance and speed settings will be slightly off when running a 29" but personally I don't use them. I suppose assist will stay to a higher speed, but doesn't matter when mountain biking - maybe on the road.
That's what I'm finding... My Garmin will say I'm doing say 15mph, but the TCU will be at something like 14.2.
I don't use the TCU for recording my rides - only really for checking the battery level when I have a RE plugged in - as my Garmin says 100%, but the TCU says 150%.
The positive for not changing the TCU to be a 29" wheel is that I maybe get 1mph faster before the limiter cuts in.

Smuggler

May 27, 2023
Marin, CA
That's what I'm finding... My Garmin will say I'm doing say 15mph, but the TCU will be at something like 14.2.
I don't use the TCU for recording my rides - only really for checking the battery level when I have a RE plugged in - as my Garmin says 100%, but the TCU says 150%.
The positive for not changing the TCU to be a 29" wheel is that I maybe get 1mph faster before the limiter cuts in.
exactly! Personally I only care about S.O.C.

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
After two months of intense enduro with mullet on a PRO S4, in High, Long and -1°, I have no intention of trying the 29 rear wheel. The SL2 is simply perfect. Agile and very composed. I have Enduro 2020 at home in full 29 and also the KSL Expert full 29. On the Levo Gen3 I tried 29 back and returned to the mullet with long chainstays, more agile and reactive.

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
No with the flip chip in High.

It is better to place the handlebars a little low and the saddle slightly forward so that the front wheel does not lift on very radical climbs.

The overall balance of the bike is fantastic!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles