Levo 2019 motor noise

lezec

Oct 6, 2018
Sydney
Never got the whole noise thing personally, if the a bike rides great and makes a bit of noise, who cares? Buying a bike because one motor is more silent than another is the last quantum i would use on deciding a bike purchase, first and foremost is getting a bike that fits, you like the geo, and is fit for the type of riding you do. If your lucky there will be a couple of options form different manufacturers and then you can start to compare motors etc, but no pint buying a bike because it has a certain motor even if its completely wrong for you and your riding.
You see, we are all different. The motor noise or how "silent" is, it's number one priority for me. That's why I don't ride dirt bikes.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Well I can tell you my 2019 Expert Levo is way louder than my friends 2019 Trek Powerfly LT (his sounds like a low pitched mellow pleasant noise you can barely hear and mine sounds like a HIGH pitched winding like your working on an offshore fishing vessel operating a winch while Rosanne Barr sings the U.S. National Anthem. We can hear my motor screaming during rides and if I stop pedeling I can barely ever hear his bosch as we are going along. Sometimes it isnt that bad, and the geo is great, very capable on decents, and one shop guy said this noise existed he thought as soon as I bought it and because of Rob’s great forum, I heard about the problem, I had read elsewhere prior to getting it and then after testing mine and hearing the loudness, I looked into this and saw how you guys were mad and taking yours back so I relaly looked into it and Specialized has been nice enough to say they are sending a replacement. Thanks Rob and you guys for telling us so I know whats going on.
D4FF004B-D09B-46EA-A2B6-3BC2029485F4.jpeg

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
The $2,300 Specialized Carbon Headphones Brose Cancellation upgrade is also bluetooth capable and works in conjuction with the Mission Control App. You can adjust the level of noise cancelation by choosing the Turbo Noise, Trail or Eco noise option. Set yours at 35/100 percent in Eco, 50/100 Trail and 1000/1000 in Turbo. (On backorder, available in stores May 30th, 2019).

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Awesome. I just placed an order for this helmet (it plays songs of birds singing, ocean waves and other naure sounds) for my friends to wear, so we can talk over the high pitched squeeling sound of the levo. Specialized makes an earplug Comp version (someone posted earlier) that retails for $1,299 (available mid June).

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
Well I can tell you my 2019 Expert Levo is way louder than my friends 2019 Trek Powerfly LT (his sounds like a low pitched mellow pleasant noise you can barely hear and mine sounds like a HIGH pitched winding like your working on an offshore fishing vessel operating a winch while Rosanne Barr sings the U.S. National Anthem. We can hear my motor screaming during rides and if I stop pedeling I can barely ever hear his bosch as we are going along. Sometimes it isnt that bad, and the geo is great, very capable on decents, and one shop guy said this noise existed he thought as soon as I bought it and because of Rob’s great forum, I heard about the problem, I had read elsewhere prior to getting it and then after testing mine and hearing the loudness, I looked into this and saw how you guys were mad and taking yours back so I relaly looked into it and Specialized has been nice enough to say they are sending a replacement. Thanks Rob and you guys for telling us so I know whats going on. View attachment 6340

Sounds like you have exactly the problem they are describing. The high pitch sound. Hope Specialized takes care of it for you.

C V

Oct 17, 2018
Switzerland
Hello! Can anyone advise if you'll get your bike faster if you preorder from a retailer as opposed for waiting for them to come into the shop? I understand that delivery has been delayed due to the motor noise, but I'm not sure if preordering will actually expedite the process or if they'll all just get there when they get there...
Thanks

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Depending on where you are most shops have a waiting list of orders already - my personal advice would be to go to a respected Specilized retailer and deal with them, and get an honest and realistic answer on delivery times - however given the motor issue you may well find they wont commit to anything.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Really hard to tell the difference, the camera angle down looks better as you can see how hard you are working the bike.

I actually think on these things it’s how you can demonstrate the angle of the hill.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Thanks for your lengthy and detailed post, but I do think it's a poor engineering decision to sacrifice the stealthy quiet of the previous generation for a minor weight saving.
My 2019 is now near silent. I cant tell if its any louder than the 2018.

Specialized have admitted there is a problem and are doing their best to fix it (not ship any more faulty ones) and replace any with a noise ASAP.

Now motor is not just weight saving. Its more powerful, has instant engagement too.
We need to swap bikes for a few minutes next time you're up to see how mine compares with noise. I'm in eco 95% of the time, so don't notice it, but crank up the power and it's really loud.

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
Yes mine is quiet on eco but gets really loud when the power goes up. So loud it’s embarrassing. Going to get in touch with the dealer. Way louder than my Bosch.

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
I wonder if you could use sound deadening mats on the inside of the motor case like they use in cars especially on the underside of the hood. It really lowers the sound and is heat and fire proof. Also some of the noise may be escaping from the big "vents" or holes that others are complaining let in debris and both problems might be lessened by plugging the holes with another type of foam.

Dodger

Oct 28, 2018
South Africa White River
Just watched Robs London to Brighton vid and was surprised about the noise of the motor. Has anyone else with a 2019 noticed the increase in noise from the 2018? Or are some motors louder than others?
I own a 2018 Comp Carbon Levo, which I ride 10 hours a week. Ive upgraded to the 2019 Expert, for reasons of battery life and 29er wheels as im 1,89 m tall.
I ride with a group of friends all on non assisted bikes, so stealth is real important to me.
I find the new Levo's engine noise a deal breaker. Its real loud especially under load and higher cadence. Kind of spoils the cycling experience when your on a climb in the forest. I feel like im shattering the silence. Very disappointed. My 2018 Levo although not nearly as good a bike as the new one, lets me enjoy my ride without always being conscious of every pedal stroke.

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
I find the new Levo's engine noise a deal breaker. Its real loud especially under load and higher cadence. Kind of spoils the cycling experience when your on a climb in the forest. I feel like im shattering the silence. Very disappointed.
But is yours with the known fault or a good one? If it's a faulty one then the argument is moot as Specialized will replace it?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hi All, to follow up on our earlier post on this thread.....

Soon after the launch of the all-new Turbo Levo, we discovered a few motors that were significantly louder and didn't meet our quality standards. As a precautionary measure, we chose to pause shipments of the all-new Turbo Levo to further investigate. Subsequent to thorough testing and analysis of those motors, we traced the noise issue back to a small percentage of those motors with an assembly tolerance that fell outside the design specification. Quality tests have been updated to ensure that we can confidently release shipments of bikes again.

If you feel you are in possession of one of those few affected motors, please reach out to your local Specialized retailer who will evaluate the case together with us. Please note that affected motors exhibit a loud “whining” sound that is easily distinguishable since it is significantly louder, somewhat aggressive and irritating in character. In short: it`s significantly different to the typical sound of our motors.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by pausing shipments. We resumed bike shipments over a week ago and are moving forward with 100% confidence. As of the time of posting the majority of regions have service motors ready to supply retailers.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

Soon after the launch of the all-new Turbo Levo, we discovered a few motors that were significantly louder and didn't meet our quality standards. As a precautionary measure, we chose to pause shipments of the all-new Turbo Levo to further investigate. Subsequent to thorough testing and analysis of those motors, we traced the noise issue back to a small percentage of those motors with an assembly tolerance that fell outside the design specification. Quality tests have been updated to ensure that we can confidently release shipments of bikes again.

If you feel you are in possession of one of those few affected motors, please reach out to your local Specialized retailer who will evaluate the case together with us. Please note that affected motors exhibit a loud “whining” sound that is easily distinguishable since it is significantly louder, somewhat aggressive and irritating in character. In short: it`s significantly different to the typical sound of our motors.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by pausing shipments. We resumed bike shipments over a week ago and are moving forward with 100% confidence. As of the time of posting the majority of regions have service motors ready to supply retailers.

Thanks for your comments!

I received my 2019 Levo Comp last Saturday. I was a little surprised yesterday when I tested the bike on a longer ride that with a setting of only 15% assistance and PP of 15%. When I drove up hills at middle until low gearing you could clearly hear the motor as well. I was a little surprised about this while I would have expected at higher assistance % settings. I thought with the test ride I made on the 2018 Levo that this wasn't the case. Can you please confirm that this a normal behaviour?

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I'll second what Dodger said

My 2019 expert is significantly louder than 2018 expert.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I'll second what Dodger said

My 2019 expert is significantly louder than 2018 expert.
@Specialized Rider Care stated:
"Please note that affected motors exhibit a loud “whining” sound that is easily distinguishable since it is significantly louder, somewhat aggressive and irritating in character. In short: it`s significantly different to the typical sound of our motors."

I guess the main question then stays what is the typical sound of our motors? Should the noise of a 2018 model been seen as the typical sound? Or do we simply have to accept the 2019 is intentionaly louder engineered compared to the 2018 version?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
@Specialized Rider Care stated:
"Please note that affected motors exhibit a loud “whining” sound that is easily distinguishable since it is significantly louder, somewhat aggressive and irritating in character. In short: it`s significantly different to the typical sound of our motors."

I guess the main question then stays what is the typical sound of our motors? Should the noise of a 2018 model been seen as the typical sound? Or do we simply have to accept the 2019 is intentionaly louder engineered compared to the 2018 version?

Can maybe another forum member test the motor with a 15% assistance and 15% peak power setting and listen while driving uphill in middle to low gearing if they hear the 2019 motor clearly as well? A reply would be highly appreciated.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks for your comments!

I received my 2019 Levo Comp last Saturday. I was a little surprised yesterday when I tested the bike on a longer ride that with a setting of only 15% assistance and PP of 15%. When I drove up hills at middle until low gearing you could clearly hear the motor as well. I was a little surprised about this while I would have expected at higher assistance % settings. I thought with the test ride I made on the 2018 Levo that this wasn't the case. Can you please confirm that this a normal behaviour?

It is normal to hear the motor when riding hard uphill - assistance % will have some bearing but won't necessarily tell us how much power you are putting in vs the motor. Your retailer is ultimately the best place to go as they will be able to compare - however our advice is that affected motors exhibit a loud “whining” sound that is easily distinguishable since it is significantly louder, somewhat aggressive and irritating in character. In short: it`s significantly different to the typical sound of our motors.

Compare these two videos as a rough guide - the same bike before and after a motor replacement. Just be aware that most cameras use automatic gain control when recording audio, so in the 2nd video the loud wind noise probably lowers the overall recording level a little.

(steep uphill around 12-13 minute mark)

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
It is normal to hear the motor when riding hard uphill - assistance % will have some bearing but won't necessarily tell us how much power you are putting in vs the motor. Your retailer is ultimately the best place to go as they will be able to compare - however our advice is that affected motors exhibit a loud “whining” sound that is easily distinguishable since it is significantly louder, somewhat aggressive and irritating in character. In short: it`s significantly different to the typical sound of our motors.

Compare these two videos as a rough guide - the same bike before and after a motor replacement. Just be aware that most cameras use automatic gain control when recording audio, so in the 2nd video the loud wind noise probably lowers the overall recording level a little.

(steep uphill around 12-13 minute mark)

Thanks for your reply again!

I listened carefully to both videos and I noticed both of them are driven in turbo mode. The 1st video going uphill between 12-13 minute mark sounds exactly like my bike in turbo mode but I thought this should be the normal/typical turbo mode sound. Now I think to understand this shouldn't be the case as the motor of this bike is replaced afterwards.

The 2nd video however isn't completely comparable according to my feeling as there seems to be less load on the motor as it isn't an uphill section. The sound in turbo mode is really low and a huge difference compared to the 1st video.

When I will use my bike again I will carefully listen once more taken your earlier comments and videos in mind. I guess it's then better like you proposed to let my retailer judge what is good or what is wrong. As I was the first 2019 owner I guess for them it's still hard to judge as well. I will ask them in a few weeks when they have received more 2019 Levo's so they are able to compare.

Last edited:

Trioptimum

Oct 29, 2018
italy
Hi Specialized Rider Care, i have a question for you .. i'd like to have an answer if possible. Is specialized working on the problem of the "hole" in the motor unit that is letting all the dirt enter inside? is Specialized working on a solution for that too?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas

Another serious problem is the huge gap in the motor housing that lets tons of debris in. Please look at the 2019 Turbo Levo Owner's Forum.
From what I can guess there are only three ways this could have happened.
1- That in all your "testing" no one over opened the motor cover to discover the problem
2- The problem was discovered and you hoped thousands of people wouldn't notice
3- The problem was found, identified and a part was made to solve it but was forgotten when thousands of bikes were ordered
Anyone who rides can tell you putting a giant dirt trapping hole in the motor housing next to a spinning wheel is a frankly idiotic design flaw. This along with the motor noise issue are things that should have been caught in design or quality control, it makes me wonder what other glaring issues have you not addressed. Please fix this immediately.

Last edited:

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I wonder if you could use sound deadening mats on the inside of the motor case like they use in cars especially on the underside of the hood. It really lowers the sound and is heat and fire proof. Also some of the noise may be escaping from the big "vents" or holes that others are complaining let in debris and both problems might be lessened by plugging the holes with another type of foam.

Using sound deadening materials may cause the motor to overheat

Dodger

Oct 28, 2018
South Africa White River
I’ve done some Decibel testing in a 2018 and then 2019 Levo.
Same conditions same tyres and pressures, same gradient same surface same power and cadence.
2018 Levo average dB 49
2019 Levo average dB 73
I’ve tried to attach the videos but are too large for server to process.
After seeing the scientific evidence Specialized are however replacing the motor.
Hopefully I have an abnormal sound motor, Watch this space

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
I’ve done some Decibel testing in a 2018 and then 2019 Levo.
Same conditions same tyres and pressures, same gradient same surface same power and cadence.
2018 Levo average dB 49
2019 Levo average dB 73
I’ve tried to attach the videos but are too large for server to process.
After seeing the scientific evidence Specialized are however replacing the motor.
Hopefully I have an abnormal sound motor, Watch this space
That is loud. Remember that dB levels are not linear 70dB is 4x louder than 50dB or 50dB is the level of a quiet conversation and 70dB is a vacuum cleaner.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles