2019 turbo levo motor noise

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Hi all, I hope I'm in the right spot here and some of my fellow turbo levo riders can help.......
My question is, my 2017 hardtail motor is super quiet compared to my 2019 , I understand that the new motors are a bit louder then the old ones and some are way louder and are being replaced, I'm wondering if I'm just used to my super quiet 2017 motor or whether my 2019 is one of the louder ones,what are the possible outcomes of the motor being louder? Does it mean something is not right or it's just a noise and shouldn't worry about it? How loud is too loud??
Thanks everyone.
20190106_173445.jpg

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Go to a trail park and go up a climb busy with analogue bikers. If they hear you coming when you are 10 yards behind them you have a noisy motor (Ask me how I know). Mine was replaced and is pretty quiet, just a slight whine that changes frequency with cadence. Definitely not as quiet as my 2017 Levo, but not obtrusive and probably quieter than many e-bikes. My first motor sounded like a swarm of angry bees - if you are at all concerned take it to your dealer and get them to check. Good dealers will not quibble.

Simon

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Oh, and do a search for the previous thread on this subject - it has plenty of recordings/videos for reference, as well as other folks descriptions and experiences in getting motors changed.

Simon

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Hmmm thanks for your reply! It doesn't sound like a swarm of angry bees more like 3 really pissed off bees... did the noise get any worse? or did it just stay the same from when you bought it? Does a loud motor lead to problems in the future or is it just the way it is? Maybe I am just used to my super quiet 2017 levo, that motor got replaced within the first four weeks because it would not turn on at all checked battery and all connections turned out it was the motor, I know they will replace it if need be, Spesh have the best warranty I've ever experienced, I've had derailleurs and chains stuff up on both bikes I have no question that they will replace the motor.

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Mine didn’t notice on the car park ride I did at the bike shop, and I didn’t expect it to be noisy as it was stock that came in from Spesh UK the day before, and was after the date where they were supposed to have filtered out the noisy bikes. But I noticed it as soon as I got on the trails, and it wwas very noisy at Afan in Wales. The replacement motor was much much quieter. As they said it was due to incorrect torque on something in the motor I would get it changed if you are at all concerned.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles