Levo 2019 motor noise

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
It is concerning considering the noise level was a significant factor for me in ordering the 2019 Levo over other EMTBs.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I was about to post something on this very subject this morning but ran out of time due to riding at the forest of Dean today.

On the 18th I rode 2 x 2019 Levo carbon comps and both of the bikes motors seemed quite loud compared to my 2017 motor that I have.
It was more noticable when I was pushing down hard on the pedals and the noise was of a more high pitched sound compared to the 2017 Levo I have.

I rode a completely different 2019 Levo carbon comp yesterday and the motor was a lot quieter to the point where I bearly noticed it so it looks like there is a problem folks :eek:

Hopefully it is an easy fix for the Specialized team to resolve.

It would be good to hear what @Specialized Rider Care has to say about this issue.

Last edited:

Studo

Aug 25, 2018
Bristol
Hmmmm. All quiet on the @Specialized Rider Care front then.....

Are you a bit scared to comment? :eek:

Believe me, it won’t stop me buying it as your warranty is second to none ?
I'll let you know on the warranty being second to none as my kenevo is back in because of a noisy motor. Been with my LBS for a week and half now waiting for Spesh to confirm what they intend to do.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I'll let you know on the warranty being second to none as my kenevo is back in because of a noisy motor. Been with my LBS for a week and half now waiting for Spesh to confirm what they intend to do.
Don’t blame Specialized, sounds like your LBS needs a kick up the ar5e. If you had taken your bike to Berkshire cycles you would have had a new engine in your bike on the first visit.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

Frustrating!

Studo

Aug 25, 2018
Bristol
Don’t blame Specialized, sounds like your LBS needs a kick up the ar5e. If you had taken your bike to Berkshire cycles you would have had a new engine in your bike on the first visit.
May well be worth a trip down the M4 if it needs any more work. ?

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Your not wrong Stu. LBS said they would chase Spesh UK today for an update. Slim chance I might get it back for this weekend. Desperate to ride it again.

I know the feeling... mine went in last week (while I was away working) for warranty repairs on the brakes and seatpost both of which the parts had to be sent back to the manufacturers and I've still not got the bike back :( - they've promised it for today but I've really missed my daily ride. Hopefully we'll both get some good news later.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I've been questioning my self after I test rode the 2019 Levo Comp Carbon and described it as "fast, silent and pretty". Could it be that I'm used to loud motors and didn't pick up on the 2.1 being a fair bit noisier than the 1.3? I've gone through my Gopro footage and didn't really find it noisy. And after hearing that Italian clip I no longer question my self. The pre production motor I rode definitely didn't sound even close to that. I'm sticking with my initial impression, it was quiet.

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
My Comp Carbon is noisier than my 2017 Levo. It's a high pitched whine, a bit like wind whistling through a gap in a car window. It also requires more effort to ride, which surprised me (with same settings on both bikes). Is that the larger wheels, but with no gearing change to compensate?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Given that the sound quality of on board video's is always a bit hinky and louder than it really is that is still more than it should be for a motor with a belt final drive in the reduction gear.

slowbrain

Aug 30, 2018
Norway
I've been questioning my self after I test rode the 2019 Levo Comp Carbon and described it as "fast, silent and pretty". Could it be that I'm used to loud motors and didn't pick up on the 2.1 being a fair bit noisier than the 1.3? I've gone through my Gopro footage and didn't really find it noisy. And after hearing that Italian clip I no longer question my self. The pre production motor I rode definitely didn't sound even close to that. I'm sticking with my initial impression, it was quiet.

I've ridden the same bike (I mean literary exactly same piece of hardware) as @knut7 back-to-back with 1.3 motor on Levo '18 and Kenevo Expert. The new 2.1 motor on demo bike was just marginally louder than 1.3 one, enough to hear the difference but still quieter than E8000 on Scott Genius eRide I've sat on that afternoon.

Unspecialized

Oct 2, 2018
9991a$$
from italian forum:
I am wondering if brose will be able to fix the problem. Hopefully on warranty, otherwise this would be a huge disappointment.
Especially considering, that Brose claims to implement the silencing belt in their motors.

The moderate sound is one of their first marketing arguments, I think they should be really careful with this.
Please keep us updated, if Your dealer / Specialized provides any solution.

Gee68

Jul 30, 2018
England
Although my motor is way louder than I was expecting it seems to be quietening down with the more miles I put on to it,maybe they take a little while to bed in.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
It also requires more effort to ride, which surprised me (with same settings on both bikes). Is that the larger wheels, but with no gearing change to compensate?

Ah, good point. Does anyone know what is the smallest chaining that can be used ?

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
Hi Rob, Just seen your test Go Pro vid on the You Tube clip of EMTB Live - that motor of yours is really really noisy! A lot more than the one I tested. Hope it gets sorted

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
I was about to post something on this very subject this morning but ran out of time due to riding at the forest of Dean today.

On the 18th I rode 2 x 2019 Levo carbon comps and both of the bikes motors seemed quite loud compared to my 2017 motor that I have.
It was more noticable when I was pushing down hard on the pedals and the noise was of a more high pitched sound compared to the 2017 Levo I have.

I rode a completely different 2019 Levo carbon comp yesterday and the motor was a lot quieter to the point where I bearly noticed it so it looks like there is a problem folks :eek:

Hopefully it is an easy fix for the Specialized team to resolve.

It would be good to hear what @Specialized Rider Care has to say about this issue.

2019 S-Works FOR SALE ! ( when its finally delivered )

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
There is a post here, #7599 (not sure the direct link works...) from a claimed "Specialized ambassador":
Le soucis vient du moteur, l'origine a été trouvé et résolu (c'est pas un soucis de conception mais d'assemblage). Mais les vélos en vente actuellement ont potentiellement ce défaut. Si le bruit n'apparaît pas dans la première sortie alors c'est bon il n'apparaitra pas.
Google translate:
The trouble comes from the motor, the origin was found and resolved (it's not a problem of design but assembly). But bikes on sale currently have this potential. If the noise does not appear in the first rideout then it is good it will not appear.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Why ? My 2017 S-Works is almost silent. Ive just dropped 10k on the 2019 which will be returned.
My guess would be that the older motor had a thicker aluminum housing that helped insulate the noise. It’s louder than the previous generation motor, but it’s still much quieter than Shimano or Yamaha.
I think this “issue” like most issues that come up on the forum is being blown up out of proportion.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles