Levo Gen 2 2019 Turbo Levo Abnormal Noise from Motor

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I didn't want to post until I could capture this on video, as I've been unable to find a video with the same noise:

The noise starts about 11 seconds into the video. Sounds a bit like a chain rubbing, or plastic gears grinding (similar to this post). I have verified that it is NOT related to the chain however, it's definitely coming from the motor.

The noise is intermittent. During a 2 hour ride it will happen maybe 2-4 times. I haven't found a discernable pattern to make it happen so unfortunately I can't reproduce it at will. Sometimes it's on the down stroke on the right, sometimes on the left, sometimes in between strokes. Doesn't seem to be related to the steepness of the trail, happens on flats and climbs equally. It seems to happen only after a bigger effort. I can only get it to happen while riding actual trails, i.e. not in my front yard.

The motor has otherwise been fine so far though recently I've been getting "Motor Error" codes often and the power cuts out, especially on slow steep climbs, both riding and in walk mode. I'm not trying to say this is related, the noise has been going on for months.

I know I need to take it in, but my local Specialized dealer is booked 4-5 weeks out for service, and the shop I bought it from (which is over an hour away) is similarly backed up. I tried to contact @Specialized Rider Care but no reply so far. I'll be super bummed if I need to lose the bike for 4 weeks just to swap a motor :(

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
FYI my belt finally failed today. The sound when it happened was similar to the video but louder. The big difference is I could feel a "crunching" feeling through the pedals. It lasted for about 3 pedal strokes before the belt started slipping.

I put it in eco mode and tried to limp out but eventually the belt let go completely and did the high-pitched screeching sound seen in other videos.

It's funny because the sound in the video had gotten quieter for the last couple of weeks. Anyway just posting for the archives, if your bike makes this sound it seems your belt is on its way out.

EDIT: to add, failure occurred at 1,285 miles, 95 hours.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles