Levo Gen 2 2019 Levo Motor Noise Increased Recently

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
I promise I’ve searched for this subject expecting not to be the first but I’m either crap at searching or I am the first. I suspect the former!!

I’ve done 520 miles on my 2019 Levo since new. The first 500 have been with a very quiet motor, as I understand it is the norm for this bike. Barely audible over tyre/trail noise.

The last 2 short rides have displayed a very noisy motor. Much louder than normal and completely out of character for the bike. Intrusive noise. The type/tone of noise to my ears seems to be the same motor noise but very amplified and strained.

Apart from the fact that the motor noise has suddenly increased I can’t offer anything that I know is different or changed from normal.

I’ll phone the shop tomorrow but wondered if there’s anything I can check myself or if there’s any experience of this in the forum?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's because you spend too much time only on the back wheel .. This positions the weight of the battery against the bottom of the motor housing and slowly deforms it. The casing starts to rub the inner gears until either they wear out or the case wears out and the noise goes or the gears break.

ok. Not really ...

A few people have reported an increase in noise. It's obviously more noticeable on the Brose as it's so quiet to start with.

So no, you're not alone and I don't remember there being any magic fix/test.....

Does it still pedal backwards smoothly ?

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
?

Turning the cranks backwards has no engagement as designed, and yes is still smooth.
Rotating the rear wheel in reverse/backwards isn’t without resistance. It’s engaging the motor which I guess is normal. So although there is motor resistance but it is smooth.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Any increase in noise is never a good thing! It usually means something is in distress or failing. The problem with this particular motor is that it could be one of 5 or 6 different things? If still in warranty I would take it back and see what the shop makes of it. If it's out of warranty then your choice to get it investigated or wait until something goes pop!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
right... after about 150 miles I was out on the trail, stopped and when I got going again my motor was noticeably louder and its stayed that way since, it was literally between one minute and the next.
I just put it down to 'newness' and because i bought it from Berkshire, I not at all worried because if it goes pop I know Chris will sort it out and I still have 23 months left on the warranty !

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Thanks @Bearing Man, good to know. Yes, warranty-covered. Shop have just reviewed video of the noise, and said new motor ASAP!!

Has this motor had any refinements does anybody know? Is there any chance that the replacement motor will be more robust?

Yes, the motors are getting improvements and being made more robust.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles