Levo 2019 motor noise

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Wow I don't have the star wars version!!!

But its quite a bit louder than my 2018 :-(

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just editing some videos.... This might help. I've tried to match the volume levels on the clips as much as possible, all using the exact same microphone and setup (GoPro Hero 7 with all audio management disabled).

Even the replaced motor is still a little noisy in Turbo under load - don't expect them to be silent. But there is a huge difference between a faulty one and a regular one. The faulty motor is extremely noisy under load, so much so that people riding with me could hear it over their motors and commented on it. It's night and day louder.

Last edited:

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
Just editing some videos.... This might help. I've tried to match the volume levels on the clips as much as possible, all using the exact same microphone and setup (GoPro Hero 7 with all audio management disabled).

Good job! Thank you. Now I am more and more convinced that my engine has problems with noise!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

Even the replaced motor is still a little noisy in Turbo under load - don't expect them to be silent. But there is a huge difference between a faulty one and a regular one. The faulty motor is extremely noisy under load, so much so that people riding with me could hear it over their motors and commented on it. It's night and day louder.

Haha, it sounds like a eFormula1

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
This whole noisy motor thing sucks. Was ready to purchase but with inconsistent range of noise from the motors you never know if you’re going to be stuck with one that won’t get replaced because it’s “in acceptable range”. They should all be consistent.

You don’t know if bikes currently in stock at shops have been updated and resolved are not.

Might just wait until this whole fiasco is completely solved before purchasing.

crazyethnic

Sep 26, 2018
Australia Victoria
My local spesh dealer told me new levo's will be in shop by the end of November, motor miss alignment in the frame was the issue, the only problem they will be XL sizes at least will be able to see one in the flesh, that's at Bendigo cycles Victoria OZ.

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
What did your dealer do?
I assume he already replaced it or?

A new motor is on order. My concern is that the replacement is the best it can be and not just “ a degree quieter “ I think that there are large variations following the assembly at Brose.

This is a 3rd generation motor and should not be any louder than the first. I’ll post my results after my motor swap.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
The fact that incompetent Specialized dealers keep handing out Levos that obviously are defective does not do any good for the brand......

That bike sounds hilarious!

Karsten

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Mine sounds like both the videos above. Only way to prove it was an issue was to ride it back to back with a demo bike from the shop I deal with, literally by joining their group ride and swapping with one of the staff. My bike made the same sound with him riding, while his was almost silent under my much heavier weight proving that wasn't a factor. New motor is on order and should be replaced in the next week or so, also getting the foam insert at the same time.

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
Mine sounds like both the videos above. Only way to prove it was an issue was to ride it back to back with a demo bike from the shop I deal with, literally by joining their group ride and swapping with one of the staff. My bike made the same sound with him riding, while his was almost silent under my much heavier weight proving that wasn't a factor. New motor is on order and should be replaced in the next week or so, also getting the foam insert at the same time.
You're lucky because my dealer told me that my bike is within the norm ... then, who do you believe?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hello Specialized Rider Care here is my new Levo 2019 Comp Carbon,ordered 19 of September, arrived in store 2 of November, in the "her" first ride with Turbo Mode set at 40/60 at an average speed of 6,5 Kmh....I think is not what we can say quiet and silent motor....
What you would suggest me to do?

Hi - and sorry to hear. Please see our earlier post - Levo 2019 motor noise - EMTB Forums. All you need to do is speak to your retailer about this.

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
? Jesus that is loud!! I thought mine was noisy had it replaced and still sounds the same so much for the quietest motor on the market false advertising I think they call it @Specialized Rider Care

Exactly my point from a previous post. There is no black and white / loud or quiet version of the latest Brose motor. I’ve just had my unacceptably loud motor exchanged for a more acceptable quieter version !! But I still feel there are better examples out there in the community!!!

@ Specialized..... please please advise ??

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
Today I tried two levo 2019, one with a clear problem of high noise (mine) and another without this problem. I tried to make the video on the same path, with the same MC setting, with the same action cam adjusted in the same way. I will send this video to the dealer who will show it to Specialized Italia for engine replacement. I hope that this video can also serve to remove any doubt about what is normal and what is wrong.

Colin228

Nov 16, 2018
Brisbane
I took delivery of a 2019 Levo in Brisbane on the 10th November. On the 12th November I took it back as its so loud its embarrassing to ride. Its been described as noise like strangling a cat! Specialized are going to replace the motor but which is great but its still not here and will be another 2 weeks. This really isn't acceptable on a brand new bike costing many thousands of $$$.

Has the cause the of noisy motors been determined.

crazyethnic

Sep 26, 2018
Australia Victoria
What I have been told the motor has been misaligned in the frame, I have seen a similar thing when a drive belt with the same set up is not square or in line to one of it's pully's and this is so with a belt and sprockets which all have teeth, we used to do this on car engines so it sounds like it has a super charger straight cut timing gears.

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
So I took my Levo out yesterday and it sounded much quieter compared to my last ride. This is only my second ride. Was very surprised. Much colder yesterday - perhaps heat related or to do with the motors belts?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
So I took my Levo out yesterday and it sounded much quieter compared to my last ride. This is only my second ride. Was very surprised. Much colder yesterday - perhaps heat related or to do with the motors belts?
Funny you say that, mine is whisper quiet. Then after about 10 miles hard riding it is noticeably more audible. Either the heat or gunk build up effects the noise.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles