Levo 2019 motor noise

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I’ve done some Decibel testing in a 2018 and then 2019 Levo.
Same conditions same tyres and pressures, same gradient same surface same power and cadence.
2018 Levo average dB 49
2019 Levo average dB 73
I’ve tried to attach the videos but are too large for server to process.
After seeing the scientific evidence Specialized are however replacing the motor.
Hopefully I have an abnormal sound motor, Watch this space
Great info and test! Be interesting to know if you've the loud/faulty motor or not as that's a massive increase.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I’ve done some Decibel testing in a 2018 and then 2019 Levo.
Same conditions same tyres and pressures, same gradient same surface same power and cadence.
2018 Levo average dB 49
2019 Levo average dB 73
I’ve tried to attach the videos but are too large for server to process.
After seeing the scientific evidence Specialized are however replacing the motor.
Hopefully I have an abnormal sound motor, Watch this space

What equipment did you use?

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
So I have to take my Levo back to the shop to see if the motor is at fault. Apparently "specialized have motors in stock if they need to replace"....... Hope they are not the noisy ones!!

Harmialized

Oct 15, 2018
Netherlands
So I have to take my Levo back to the shop to see if the motor is at fault. Apparently "specialized have motors in stock if they need to replace"....... Hope they are not the noisy ones!![/QUOTE

I believe there is only a need to visit the dealer when you have doubt.
By inspecting the 2 video's posted by the ridercare teams it is easy to determine if your motor is affacted or not.
Lucky my motor is not affected, as posted a couple of day's ago, my friends levo was loud out of the box and is already replaced for a new one. problem solved without any discussion.
Great dealer support ( Rings goirle) as well from the RC team.

Nando Lope

Sep 30, 2018
Jaca y Zaragoza
Hi.
My 2019 Levo Comp Carbon is my first ebike. I’m very happy with it but I also think the motor is noisy. I took it back to the shop. I trust on the owner. He tested it and he said it is not one of the affected motors. A few weeks ago he went on a “Specialized University” event in Madrid and there they tried both motors (affected and not) to see the differences so I am not worried at all.
Let’s see if can explain myself in English: Have you noticed it is also noisy half a second when you stop pedalling? I think the motor is working in that moment to provide a smooth-gear-off but...also noisy at that moment????

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
So I dropped my 2019 Levo off at the dealer. Got a call today to say that he thinks there's nothing wrong with it and tested against a demo. Not very impressed. I had a 2018 Cube with a Bosch motor previously, and this is way louder.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
So I dropped my 2019 Levo off at the dealer. Got a call today to say that he thinks there's nothing wrong with it and tested against a demo. Not very impressed. I had a 2018 Cube with a Bosch motor previously, and this is way louder.
Call Chris at Berkshire cycles in Crowthorne and he will sort you out.

Last edited:

Nando Lope

Sep 30, 2018
Jaca y Zaragoza
I’ve uploaded a video with my Levo at highest cadence in turbo mode. What do you think about the noise? My local dealer says it is not one with the issue but I still found it noisy:

Last edited:

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Few peeps took my bike out whilst it was in the shop (run and ride) for upgrades. They said how quiet it was (compared to other motor makers). I've come to the conclusion, I don't care if it's a noisy one or not. I only really use it in eco and it's really quiet. If I choose to use turbo, then a bit of noise is the sacrifice.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I saw that they are going to require electric cars in the EU to make a "noise". So maybe a little motor noise will keep eBikes from the same fate.

The problem is that if you have ridden a silent eBike, in any mode, you notice the difference immediately. Stealth at this point is a big consideration but as time goes on and eBikes become more prolific plus the fact that a lot of the eBike motors out make a certain amount of noise it will become more acceptable.

crazyethnic

Sep 26, 2018
Australia Victoria
yes my 19 levo is delayed over the noise issue but am still riding my 18 levo and still loving it to those who sold to update I feel your pain I would be pissed too, better to solve problems from the getgo.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
@SpecializedRidercare Should the 2019 motor be quieter than 2018??

In our experience the Brose Drive SMag (2.1) is comparable but if anything just slightly louder than the Brose Drive SAlu (1.3). Both are quiet motors and if you are hearing a night & day difference between the two it is likely you have a noisy motor which can be replaced under warranty.

Perception is individual, granted - and ultimately these are electric motors which do make some noise. However if you feel you have a noisy motor compare it with other bikes by riding at around 90rpm-100rpm (high cadence) uphill - you will hear a noisy motor really start to whine and change tone whereas a normal motor will simply get a little louder.

Look back on this thread to #80 and #114 - both should give you some direction on this. Bottom line, we're not putting a time window on this so feel free to continue to ride and compare your Levo with others in the meantime.

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
In our experience the Brose Drive SMag (2.1) is comparable but if anything just slightly louder than the Brose Drive SAlu (1.3). Both are quiet motors and if you are hearing a night & day difference between the two it is likely you have a noisy motor which can be replaced under warranty.

Perception is individual, granted - and ultimately these are electric motors which do make some noise. However if you feel you have a noisy motor compare it with other bikes by riding at around 90rpm-100rpm (high cadence) uphill - you will hear a noisy motor really start to whine and change tone whereas a normal motor will simply get a little louder.

Look back on this thread to #80 and #114 - both should give you some direction on this. Bottom line, we're not putting a time window on this so feel free to continue to ride and compare your Levo with others in the meantime.

Can I suggest that instead of us all uploading and comparing our own noise comparison videos that you guys at Specialized UK simply upload what you consider to be a prime example of a quiet motor !! Simple :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Can I suggest that instead of us all uploading and comparing our own noise comparison videos that you guys at Specialized UK simply upload what you consider to be a prime example of a quiet motor !! Simple :)
I’m pretty sure they have linked comparisons:)

Also I posted a vid of the quieter motor.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018

Thanks for replying

My 19 Levo was held back for the motor noise. But it's a LOT louder than my 18! On a positive note, it's so much smoother than the 18

Nando Lope

Sep 30, 2018
Jaca y Zaragoza
I’ve uploaded a video with my Levo at highest cadence in turbo mode. What do you think about the noise? My local dealer says it is not one with the issue but I still found it noisy:

I think yours is a quiet one. This is what mine sounds in trail.

OMG! Yours sounds much louder Definitely I think it needs a replacement. Specialized deals perfectly with these situations, that’s why we are paying so much money for!!!

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
I’m pretty sure they have linked comparisons:)

Also I posted a vid of the quieter motor.

I liked the fact that you posted the video but in that video it is very difficult to hear the engine noise and then notice the differences. Today I made a video of my Levo to compare it with you. As soon as I can, I post it in the discussion.

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
Here is the video I made today. Please consider that the bike has been tested by the dealer and his judgment is that the noise is normal. I am not convinced. I hope that my video, together with the others, can serve to definitively solve the problem.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018

Thanks Nando, it's really hard to say for sure but given the breathing sounds I can hear on the video the overall volume seems pretty reasonable and the motor noise within normal bounds to me if this is under full load. The challenge is that recording levels & recording devices aren't always as faithful as we want them to be - it may sound louder to you.

As I've advised some other riders on this thread, if in doubt wait until retailers have a bike or two in stock (might take a few more months) and then compare side by side. There isn't a time-limit on this and we want to look after all riders. Not all retailer staff have taken these bikes for a long, demanding ride yet and may need to to compare a few bikes first to be confident in what "normal" sounds like.

Nando Lope

Sep 30, 2018
Jaca y Zaragoza

Sorry Nando but are you on Turbo mode during the video?I see on your TCU only 2 light on the circle, but I can be wrong....

Hi! First two takes are in turbo mode, the rest are in trail mode.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles