Levo 2019 motor noise

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Never got the whole noise thing personally, if the a bike rides great and makes a bit of noise, who cares? Buying a bike because one motor is more silent than another is the last quantum i would use on deciding a bike purchase, first and foremost is getting a bike that fits, you like the geo, and is fit for the type of riding you do. If your lucky there will be a couple of options form different manufacturers and then you can start to compare motors etc, but no pint buying a bike because it has a certain motor even if its completely wrong for you and your riding.
It sure hasn’t stopped people from buying $10000 Pivot Shuttles

m0ngy

Oct 10, 2018
Melbourne
The 2019 is louder, Specialized said it would be louder.

Thanks for your lengthy and detailed post, but I do think it's a poor engineering decision to sacrifice the stealthy quiet of the previous generation for a minor weight saving. Being in the bush, at one with the trail, enjoying the natural ambience, is primary to the mtb aesthetic. It's a motorised bike, what difference does a few hundred grams make, compared to a motor which is screaming it's tits off, or even audible? I can't overstate the importance of a quiet bike, it's absolutely fundamental.

Never got the whole noise thing personally, if the a bike rides great and makes a bit of noise, who cares?

Really... OK, I think you're in the minority there, but each to his own.

no pint buying a bike because it has a certain motor even if its completely wrong for you and your riding.

Straw man, much? Is anyone suggesting this?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks for your lengthy and detailed post, but I do think it's a poor engineering decision to sacrifice the stealthy quiet of the previous generation for a minor weight saving.
My 2019 is now near silent. I cant tell if its any louder than the 2018.

Specialized have admitted there is a problem and are doing their best to fix it (not ship any more faulty ones) and replace any with a noise ASAP.

Now motor is not just weight saving. Its more powerful, has instant engagement too.

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
I think the point is that Specialized are on to it and sorting it out - Rob had the wailing banshee version and Spesh sorted his out and now it is a lot quieter (at least on his vids)

In person? I guess it is up to you if you can live with it

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Never got the whole noise thing personally, if the a bike rides great and makes a bit of noise, who cares? Buying a bike because one motor is more silent than another is the last quantum i would use on deciding a bike purchase, first and foremost is getting a bike that fits, you like the geo, and is fit for the type of riding you do. If your lucky there will be a couple of options form different manufacturers and then you can start to compare motors etc, but no pint buying a bike because it has a certain motor even if its completely wrong for you and your riding.

The noisier something is, the less efficient it is. That’s why a quiet motor is a win win.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Thanks for your lengthy and detailed post, but I do think it's a poor engineering decision to sacrifice the stealthy quiet of the previous generation for a minor weight saving. Being in the bush, at one with the trail, enjoying the natural ambience, is primary to the mtb aesthetic. It's a motorised bike, what difference does a few hundred grams make, compared to a motor which is screaming it's tits off, or even audible? I can't overstate the importance of a quiet bike, it's absolutely fundamental.

Really... OK, I think you're in the minority there, but each to his own.

Straw man, much? Is anyone suggesting this?
Actually, I think you’re in the minority here.
Based on this logic the only bike that would still be on the market is 1st generation Levos, Kenevos and any other bike that used the first generation Brose motor.
You were complaining about spec in one of your previous posts, but the most important criteria to you is noise?
I think you are truly in the minority here

m0ngy

Oct 10, 2018
Melbourne
Actually, I think you’re in the minority here.
Based on this logic the only bike that would still be on the market is 1st generation Levos, Kenevos and any other bike that used the first generation Brose motor.
You were complaining about spec in one of your previous posts, but the most important criteria to you is noise?
I think you are truly in the minority here

Did I say the most important criteria is noise? I said a quiet bike is absolutely fundamental to the trail riding aesthetic. You needn't have my 25 years experience riding mtb to know this.

Stop trying to make lame excuses, no one in their right mind would take a noisy bike over a quiet one. Rear hubs excluded, of course, the louder the better. :)

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think some people care about having a quiet bike and others don't - i have a squeaky saddle thant annoys me, but its the comfiest saddle i own so i deal with it.

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
and if every other eMTB is noisier and rob says his replaced one is the same as his 2018 one what is your point?

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Suddenly reminded why I barely post on this forum anymore. A forum I used to contribute to daily and still contribute to financially.
For the last time.
The 2019 is louder, Specialized said it would be louder.
Even when compared to the current competition, it still quieter than Yamaha, Bosch and Shimano. I sell bikes in my shop that have all these motors and everything else is still louder than the Brose motor.
With the exception of the previous generation Brose motors found on the previous generation Specialized and Bulls bikes.
We haven’t had a single 2019 Levo with the noise problem.
The bikes are more expensive, because they are completely brand new. All new frames that are lighter. All new batteries with new cells. Brand new motors which are lighter, more powerful and more expensive. It’s the first year of production for this new bike and development and production costs are going through the roof for most brands.
I had plenty of customers that bought 2017 Expert and S-Works models complain that the 18s were carbon and the same price. Developing three new frame platforms at the same time isn’t cheap. Especially on the heels of the 2018 carbon frames that they only used for one production year. Have you any idea how much one carbon mold costs? Multiply that by four and you’ve just spent more than a half a million dollars before the first carbon layup.
As for the component spec, I tend to agree. The base model should have a dropper.
The price increase is 20% on the S-Works.
Yes that’s a big jump, but the other models the increase was much less.
The base model went from $4700 to $4900.
An increase of 4.3%
I’ll eat the 4.3% to have a bigger battery and a better motor and a lighter frame.
The 2018 base model only weighed a pound more than my 2019 S-Works carbon with 29” Carbon wheels.
We’d all like mechanically perfect, but automakers don’t get it perfect either. Shit NASA didn’t get the Space Shuttle perfect after 20 years in service and people died tragically as a result.
The bicycle industry is made up of all of the misfits that couldn’t make it anywhere else.
I had a customer ride the 2019 today and he remarked it was noisier than his 2017. I said it was and made him Ride a Yamaha PD-X equipped Giant. His noise concerns were gone after riding that Giant and a Shimano E8000 bike.
Your argument that because it’s expensive it should be silent, doesn’t mean it will be.
Haibike makes a $15,000 bike thats as loud as my microwave.

Al forget the haters, I for one like that we have accurate Specialized info not rumours. Recalls are annoying but not unusual for any of the motor companies and with all E-bikes they fall into this category.

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Al forget the haters, I for one like that we have accurate Specialized info not rumours. Recalls are annoying but not unusual for any of the motor companies and with all E-bikes they fall into this category.

Yeah, it would suck to have such a sarcastic vacuum from a lack of your presence, Al.

why is the new motor more efficient than the old one based on this logic?

Well as a general rule, the energy is being dissipated through sound energy. Think of the heat you get from a lightbulb: an incandescent bulb converts only 10% of the energy it uses into light energy.

I’m assuming the ratio may be better on the new motors, but the motor in some way is taking more of an uptake of energy.

Last edited:

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I think the point is nobodys opinion matters either way except for specialized and their opinion is there IS a problem and they will deal with it, so whats to argue!

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
I think the point is nobodys opinion matters either way except for specialized and their opinion is there IS a problem and they will deal with it, so whats to argue!
the voice of reason - as to CCRDAVE is the CCR related to rebreathers?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Did I say the most important criteria is noise? I said a quiet bike is absolutely fundamental to the trail riding aesthetic. You needn't have my 25 years experience riding mtb to know this.

Stop trying to make lame excuses, no one in their right mind would take a noisy bike over a quiet one. Rear hubs excluded, of course, the louder the better. :)
Of course, here comes the whole “I have been doing this longer than you argument”

You said “my experience”

That’s just it, it’s your experience

Your experience is unique to you
It’s not a noisy bike.

It’s only slightly noisier than the old one

It’s quieter than a bike with a Shimano motor

It’s quieter than a bike with a Bosch motor

It’s quieter than a bike with a Yamaha motor

It’s quieter than a loud hub for that matter

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Yeah, it would suck to have such a sarcastic vacuum from a lack of your presence, Al.

Well as a general rule, the energy is being dissipated through sound energy. Think of the heat you get from a lightbulb: an incandescent bulb converts only 10% of the energy it uses into light energy.

I’m assuming the ratio may be better on the new motors, but the motor in some way is taking more of an uptake of energy.
The light bulb analogy isn’t really applicable in this example.
You said if it’s quieter it’s more efficient.
But the new motor is more efficient than the older quieter motor.
I think it has more to do with motor casing being made of a lighter and thinner material than the old one

As for the sarcasm vacuum, you could always hit the ignore button. I am quite sure You won’t be the first to take advantage of this convenient feature.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Of course, here comes the whole “I have been doing this longer than you argument”

You said “my experience”

That’s just it, it’s your experience

Your experience is unique to you
It’s not a noisy bike.

It’s only slightly noisier than the old one

It’s quieter than a bike with a Shimano motor

It’s quieter than a bike with a Bosch motor

It’s quieter than a bike with a Yamaha motor

It’s quieter than a loud hub for that matter
How would you say the Shimano, Bosch, and Yamaha motors compare amongst themselves in terms of noise levels?

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
I'm just gonna make annoying motorbike engine noises with my mouth and have everyone shocked when I come by on a Levo. Braaap! Vroom Vroom!

m0ngy

Oct 10, 2018
Melbourne
Of course, here comes the whole “I have been doing this longer than you argument”... Your experience is unique to you... It’s not a noisy bike... It’s only slightly noisier than the old one

All is subjective, and yeah, been riding a long time. If nothing else, I know what I like, especially when I'm solo, out in the wilderness, and a whole lot of clatter and electric motor churn ain't it. A noisy motor is extremely undesirable for trail riding... Now, you don't have to agree, but I think most people would. See, it doesn't matter if it's a tad quieter than other noisy motors, if it's still noisy, it's not in keeping with the trail riding aesthetic, and I won't go near it. I'll have to demo the '19 model before I choose to buy, or pull my deposit.

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
All is subjective, and yeah, been riding a long time. If nothing else, I know what I like, especially when I'm solo, out in the wilderness, and a whole lot of clatter and electric motor churn ain't it. A noisy motor is extremely undesirable for trail riding... Now, you don't have to agree, but I think most people would. See, it doesn't matter if it's a tad quieter than other noisy motors, if it's still noisy, it's not in keeping with the trail riding aesthetic, and I won't go near it. I'll have to demo the '19 model before I choose to buy, or pull my deposit.
38D62E0F-7941-485E-B91A-BB4A5D73A9FA.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles