Levo 2019 motor noise

Gee68

Jul 30, 2018
England
My guess would be that the older motor had a thicker aluminum housing that helped insulate the noise. It’s louder than the previous generation motor, but it’s still much quieter than Shimano or Yamaha.
I think this “issue” like most issues that come up on the forum is being blown up out of proportion.

Spoke to spesh today Al,seems they are aware of the problem,maybe you could be wrong?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Wouldn't want to be the guy at specialized who signed off production right now o_O

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
For those having problems with the 2019 Spesh Levo and it’s excessive noise I have these kits for sale.

2019 Turbo Levo survival kit
All you need in a neat, compact, waterproof kit, trail ready for you or your mates. Stick some in your trail kit now, for when it just gets all too much.
Only £30

532CB3FC-FE6A-4E2F-A2E1-96974423CCC3.jpeg

Studo

Aug 25, 2018
Bristol
I went into my local Specialized Concept store today. They confirmed they are not releasing any more 2019 bikes until the problem is resolved. They had spoken to Spesh that day who confirmed it would likely result in a 2 week delay.
On the plus side they have agreed to replace the motor and command seat post on my 2018 kenevo under warranty...one of the primary reasons why I decided to buy a spesh...and that the kenevos are bloody awesome ?

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
Have to say very impresssed for exactly the same reason - total honesty and total openess

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Actually i disagree - some dealers are being good, but no direct word from Specilized on this - their rider service dept is on this Forum, would be good to see them come on here, or maybe email Rob so that the record can be put straight.

From what i can tell not all dealers are aware of this issue, customers don't know where they stand, and current owners don't appear to have been contacted to see if they have the issue.

I will caveat my response by saying that in this day and age news spreads fast because of Forums like this, and Specilized may be about to contact everyone who has already bought a bike and issue a press release, but at the moment its all heresay.

Problems with Specilized bikes are common talking points on here, but again thats because a lot fo people have them, but my takeaway over the last year is that there are some very good dealers out there taking care of these issues, but problems with their e-bikes seem to be a consistent theme, its all very well that they sort stuff out, but there seems to be a lot that needs sorting out.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks to those on here that have asked/shared their concerns about motor noise. We can confirm that there have been a small reported number of motors with a significantly louder motor noise than expected. Whilst the majority of bikes are not affected, this noise does not meet our strict quality standards hence we paused bike shipment as a precautionary measure to investigate the issue further. Apologies to those who expected an answer from us on this forum sooner, we needed to ensure we had conducted preliminary investigations and shared the message with retailers that had already received bikes before posting. Please also note that this noise does not affect safety or the performance of the motor.

Affected motors can be best identified through a test-ride since affected motors sound noticeably different to normal motors:
  • Normal noise: When riding on the flat with average rider input, our new 2.1 motor is relatively quiet with more noise coming from the tyres than from the motor. When riding under load – for instance on a climb - the motor will certainly be audible and likely a bit louder than the first-generation motors (this is due to the increased power output and the magnesium housing) BUT with no extreme peaks or spiky noises across the frequency range. It will sound like a normal motor and you can expect it to be quieter than most competitor motors on the market.
  • Noise of affected motors: When riding under load, affected motors will exhibit a loud “whining” noise. This noise is significantly louder, slightly aggressive and irritating in character – in short: it is VERY different to the typical noise of our motors. The difference between a normal and an affected motor is most obvious at cadences of 80-100 rpm, especially on climbs / under load.
If you feel you have an affected motor, please notify your retailer (they may ask you to bring your bike in for test) who will verify the issue together with us and then ensure that a replacement motor is ordered for you. Please note that we have also paused the shipment of replacement motors until we're confident we have resolved all noise issues and therefore can't replace the motor immediately. Your bike is completely safe to continue riding and as soon as we can provide you a replacement motor, your retailer will contact you to book the bike in for service at a time to suit you. We apologize for this inconvenience, naturally all work will be carried out under warranty.

Last edited:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
So the bikes, which will be shipped from this point on, will have motors that are fixed, without this noise issue?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Thomas - that is exactly our intention, yes - and the reason for pausing shipping so early.

First of all thanks for the proactive actions and communications! Highly appreciated! I have ordered a 2019 Levo as well and my LBS told me as well that all shipments are paused due to this isse.

Do you have any idea at this stage how much this issue will extend the leadtime?

Creatorex

Sep 15, 2018
Spain
Thanks for the answer, the motor should be at less in the same noise levels of 2018 bike. Which is acceptable, imperceptible in the most of the situations and very reasonable. I have cancelled the purchase to replace my 2018 sworks for that reason and dealers do not inform. In fact I tried to test it first with no success, they didn't want me to test. When do you estimate to have models with no issues in the shops?

Last edited:

lezec

Oct 6, 2018
Sydney
I just spoke to Specialized dealer here in Sydney when my preordered S-Works arrive? He checked with the Specialized head office and apparently they know about the noise problem and till they sort it out the noise, Specialized not sending any new Levos out to the shops. :cry:

Creatorex

Sep 15, 2018
Spain
If you want to check if your bike is affected just raise the bike to avoid rear tire to touch floor, push walk assist, raise gears to the larger cog, and listen ... Use blevo to set speed at max. In the 2018 it will get this uphill high torque sound, pretty acceptable, and in the affected 2019 will scream as the evil in a little water glass in ebullition... One thing is the mechanical noise at high performance output, and another thing is this kind of Satanic neverending screaming...

Munchingmolar

Sep 25, 2018
Aberdeenshire
If you want to check if your bike is affected just raise the bike to avoid rear tire to touch floor, push walk assist, raise gears to the larger cog, and listen ... Use blevo to set speed at max. In the 2018 it will get this uphill high torque sound, pretty acceptable, and in the affected 2019 will scream as the evil in a little water glass in ebullition... One thing is the mechanical noise at high performance output, and another thing is this kind of Satanic neverending screaming...
Thanks !

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough

Just tried that. At the moment, the wheels are off having just wrapped the bike with Invisiframe, but what a racket!

drewsy

Sep 25, 2018
UK
Emailed Specialized and the retailer I bought my 2019 Levo from over a week ago about the noise issue. Both sent auto reply to say that they would be in touch within 24 hours. Not heard a thing.

Taken bike to my local bike shop you are great (shout out to Rayment Bikes in Brighton) who are taking a look. They mentioned that they understood it to be a casing issue rather than the motor itself (which conflicts with Specialized saying they will replace the motor).

Either way, I am riding a £4k bike which I love but am embarrassed riding up a hill in turbo mode as every other cyclist turns around wandering what the noise is!!

Jay

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
West Sussex
Emailed Specialized and the retailer I bought my 2019 Levo from over a week ago about the noise issue. Both sent auto reply to say that they would be in touch within 24 hours. Not heard a thing.

Taken bike to my local bike shop you are great (shout out to Rayment Bikes in Brighton) who are taking a look. They mentioned that they understood it to be a casing issue rather than the motor itself (which conflicts with Specialized saying they will replace the motor).

Either way, I am riding a £4k bike which I love but am embarrassed riding up a hill in turbo mode as every other cyclist turns around wandering what the noise is!!
Hi drewsy,

my new Levo has been delayed because of this issue.
Where about's are you from?
I'm from Worthing.

drewsy

Sep 25, 2018
UK
Hi drewsy,

my new Levo has been delayed because of this issue.
Where about's are you from?
I'm from Worthing.
Just down the road in central Brighton. I find out Tuesday what rayments think re noise. Pretty frustrating.

Still, Levo amazing on the south downs way and in stamner Park trails.

Reactions: Jay

Jay

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
West Sussex
Just down the road in central Brighton. I find out Tuesday what rayments think re noise. Pretty frustrating.

Still, Levo amazing on the south downs way and in stamner Park trails.
Give me a shout when you have your bike back and we'll get out for a ride.

m0ngy

Oct 10, 2018
Melbourne
My guess would be that the older motor had a thicker aluminum housing that helped insulate the noise. It’s louder than the previous generation motor, but it’s still much quieter than Shimano or Yamaha.
I think this “issue” like most issues that come up on the forum is being blown up out of proportion.

Really, you're happy to live with a screaming motor? You must be the only one.

Specialized market the Turbo Levo as being virtually inaudible, and indeed, my 2017 TL Expert was just that. However, the 2019 models are LOUD as F&%K, and that is not acceptable, at all. If this was a cheap bike, you could maybe accept a few issues, but it ain't. In fact, it's damn expensive, some would say over-priced, given it costs more than the outgoing model, with lower specs, so you'd want to be sure it's mechanically perfect.

Last edited:

slowbrain

Aug 30, 2018
Norway

Specialized market the Turbo Levo as being virtually inaudible, and indeed, my 2017 TL Expert was just that. However, the 2019 models are LOUD as F&%K, and that is NOT acceptable, not at all. If this was a cheap bike, you could maybe accept a few issues, but cheap the new Turbo Levo most certainly is NOT!! In fact, it's damn expensive, some would say ridiculously over-priced, given it costs more than the outgoing model, with lower specs, so you'd want to be sure it's mechanically perfect.

Chill out buddy, it seems like quality control blip and they are working on it.
Yes, one should expect tip-top quality for such expensive product, unfortunately there is always a chance that something might go wrong.

BTW how did you come to conclusion that @Al Boneta is "happy to live with a screaming motor"?

m0ngy

Oct 10, 2018
Melbourne
BTW how did you come to conclusion that @Al Boneta is "happy to live with a screaming motor"?

"Blown out of proportion", he said. The motor noise is a very serious problem, relating to the most expensive component of the bike (I assume). It completely ruins the aesthetic of the bike, not some minor issue, like cable rattle, for instance.

It strikes me very weird that Specialized should have such an immediately recognisable and serious QC issue. They didn't get any noisy bikes in the hundreds produced during testing? Really? Perhaps they thought people wouldn't complain, and now they're slapping an emergency fix on it. Who knows for sure?

Last edited:

slowbrain

Aug 30, 2018
Norway
Yes, but don't you think it is blown up?
We absolutely do not know how may bikes have been affected (only Specialized knows)
On this forum I've seen 2 videos that shown and maybe 2-3 other users that claimed higher motor noise. There is thread of new Levo owners and out of 20 just one mentioned motor noise issues.
It is highly likely being blown up as all the bad news on internet.

m0ngy

Oct 10, 2018
Melbourne
Yes, but don't you think it is blown up?
We absolutely do not know how may bikes have been affected (only Specialized knows)
On this forum I've seen 2 videos that shown and maybe 2-3 other users that claimed higher motor noise. There is thread of new Levo owners and out of 20 just one mentioned motor noise issues. It is highly likely being blown up as all the bad news on internet.

Hmm, I thought it was more prevalent than that. Still, a 1/10 recall ain't great either. Imo, it shouldn't happen at all, wasn't an issue with the previous Brose motor. I hate motor noise, or any annoying noise when riding my bike, like disc rub for example, can't stand it.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California

Specialized market the Turbo Levo as being virtually inaudible, and indeed, my 2017 TL Expert was just that. However, the 2019 models are LOUD as F&%K, and that is NOT acceptable, not at all. If this was a cheap bike, you could maybe accept a few issues, but cheap the new Turbo Levo most certainly is NOT!! In fact, it's damn expensive, some would say ridiculously over-priced, given it costs more than the outgoing model, with lower specs, so you'd want to be sure it's mechanically perfect.
Suddenly reminded why I barely post on this forum anymore. A forum I used to contribute to daily and still contribute to financially.
For the last time.
The 2019 is louder, Specialized said it would be louder.
Even when compared to the current competition, it still quieter than Yamaha, Bosch and Shimano. I sell bikes in my shop that have all these motors and everything else is still louder than the Brose motor.
With the exception of the previous generation Brose motors found on the previous generation Specialized and Bulls bikes.
We haven’t had a single 2019 Levo with the noise problem.
The bikes are more expensive, because they are completely brand new. All new frames that are lighter. All new batteries with new cells. Brand new motors which are lighter, more powerful and more expensive. It’s the first year of production for this new bike and development and production costs are going through the roof for most brands.
I had plenty of customers that bought 2017 Expert and S-Works models complain that the 18s were carbon and the same price. Developing three new frame platforms at the same time isn’t cheap. Especially on the heels of the 2018 carbon frames that they only used for one production year. Have you any idea how much one carbon mold costs? Multiply that by four and you’ve just spent more than a half a million dollars before the first carbon layup.
As for the component spec, I tend to agree. The base model should have a dropper.
The price increase is 20% on the S-Works.
Yes that’s a big jump, but the other models the increase was much less.
The base model went from $4700 to $4900.
An increase of 4.3%
I’ll eat the 4.3% to have a bigger battery and a better motor and a lighter frame.
The 2019 base model only weighed a pound more than my 2018 S-Works carbon with 29” Carbon wheels.
We’d all like mechanically perfect, but automakers don’t get it perfect either. Shit NASA didn’t get the Space Shuttle perfect after 20 years in service and people died tragically as a result.
The bicycle industry is made up of all of the misfits that couldn’t make it anywhere else.
I had a customer ride the 2019 today and he remarked it was noisier than his 2017. I said it was and made him Ride a Yamaha PD-X equipped Giant. His noise concerns were gone after riding that Giant and a Shimano E8000 bike.
Your argument that because it’s expensive it should be silent, doesn’t mean it will be.
Haibike makes a $15,000 bike thats as loud as my microwave.

Last edited:

RickW

Oct 2, 2018
UK
speak to Specialized customer service in the UK - they were extremely open with me; this is on the phone with a real human being who was very helpful (I am due to pick 2 up shortly so needed to know what the issues were)

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
My new bike is delayed due to the motor noise.

Brose is sending the replacement motors to Specialized then they'll replace them ASAP.

I think; everyone is trying their best to resolve the issue.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Never got the whole noise thing personally, if the a bike rides great and makes a bit of noise, who cares? Buying a bike because one motor is more silent than another is the last quantum i would use on deciding a bike purchase, first and foremost is getting a bike that fits, you like the geo, and is fit for the type of riding you do. If your lucky there will be a couple of options form different manufacturers and then you can start to compare motors etc, but no pint buying a bike because it has a certain motor even if its completely wrong for you and your riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles