Decathlon Stilus upgrades

Johnny rider

Jun 28, 2020
Coventry uk
Hi

Done around 1200 miles on my Stilus all off road mud sweat and gears, upgrade list or broken parts list take your pick.

Hope e 4 brakes
Shimano deore derailleur
Ladies MTB seat of wife's old bike( it is well comfy)
Eddy currents Tubeless lasted 1000 miles still got loads of life left( a bit hard on the rocks)
Deity grips
Pedal upgrade
Forks fully serviced straight after purchase, as they were super stiff and sticking, ok now not the best forks in the world but stiff enough.
Head bearings fell to pieces(replaced at 700 miles)
Motor upgrade to 85 nm.
View attachment 47704 View attachment 47705 View attachment 47706 and shifter.
Hi where did you get the head bearings from bud

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Head set bearings will be a thing on these bikes as they age. They're an open race design with just a rubber cover sitting on top of the race, just begging to be filled with mud & grit, defiinitely an early upgrade target & a cheap one at that.

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Latest upgrade finally bit the bullet and purchased some brand new Lyric ultimate in 170mm 29, look's a bit slack on head angle now, not ridden it yet or fitted the 29 wheel. That back mudguard looks a bit shitty though may have to come off.
20210126_203739.jpg
20210126_204032.jpg
20210126_203751.jpg

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Latest upgrade finally bit the bullet and purchased some brand new Lyric ultimate in 170mm 29, look's a bit slack on head angle now, not ridden it yet or fitted the 29 wheel. That back mudguard looks a bit shitty though may have to come off. View attachment 51220 View attachment 51218 View attachment 51219
Got the same back mudguard which in fact I have extended. Resonates with my Trail bikes which I suspect lurk in your garage judging from the trials tyre peeping out from the corner.

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
I am in correspondence with warranty man Lee G at decathlon regarding my original forks and worn right stanchion , he says he thinks i have bent them looking at the pictures i have sent him!! Was hoping for a better response TBH, they are definitely not bent and I will sending a statement from LBS to back that up. I just want them to be in working order so I can sell them, I have an attic full of worn out forks ...

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
I am in correspondence with warranty man Lee G at decathlon regarding my original forks and worn right stanchion , he says he thinks i have bent them looking at the pictures i have sent him!! Was hoping for a better response TBH, they are definitely not bent and I will sending a statement from LBS to back that up. I just want them to be in working order so I can sell them, I have an attic full of worn out forks ...
Yes that is a crass and disappointing response from Decathlon.

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Sorry try again, first ride on new forks last night in dark in quagmire conditions, and yes the difference between lyrics and standard 35 is night and day. I forgot what it is like to have suspension this smooth and actually see the forks moving. My 35 were rock solid but I had got used to them, will the new forks make me faster or jump further and bigger the answer is no. But the ride is so much smoother now it feels like a different bike. do you need to make this upgrade no not really, it depends on how much you ride your bike i suppose, if you spend hours every week bashing around local trails, then yes you will benefit from fork upgrade just for the extra feel and smoothness of ride. I just need to keep my wife out of garage now before she realizes I have been spending on that E bike again. LOL

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Cheers Lordy, sounds like it mirrors my experience. No amount of setting up the 35 really worked for me & most rides felt like I was having my fillings rattled out. The Yari I picked up cheap & gave a full service with new oil & seals all round & I'm finding it yards better. It's only 150mm travel & I a running it at higher psi than my trail bike fork to account for the weight of the Stylus but even then, the improvement over the 35 is obvious every time I clamber onboard.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Sorry try again, first ride on new forks last night in dark in quagmire conditions, and yes the difference between lyrics and standard 35 is night and day. I forgot what it is like to have suspension this smooth and actually see the forks moving. My 35 were rock solid but I had got used to them, will the new forks make me faster or jump further and bigger the answer is no. But the ride is so much smoother now it feels like a different bike. do you need to make this upgrade no not really, it depends on how much you ride your bike i suppose, if you spend hours every week bashing around local trails, then yes you will benefit from fork upgrade just for the extra feel and smoothness of ride. I just need to keep my wife out of garage now before she realizes I have been spending on that E bike again. LOL
A wise(?) man once said............"My biggest worry about when I die is that my wife sells my tools and toys based on what I told her I paid for them."

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Cheers for the post, great to see someone be honest about "do you need the upgrade, maybe not" side of things. Got me thinking, we ll love new shine bits, but what about upgrading "Ourselves" ?). Sometimes the constant upgrades we see talked about (I know, this is an upgrade forum), can make some believe they are Danny Hart, while for others, they may think they have made a poor original choice of componentry, or try to sell their dog for an 10mm of extra travel. Being wrongly focused on the "inadequacy" of a part while they should be enjoying the ride until the new part is fitted, is a real shame.
We all have to be honest about our ability to notice the differences, and the impact they have as you rightly said. The old "Emperors new clothes/go faster stripes=amazing gains " syndrome is something we have all done. I've been there and it does" work", and this is where the "working on ourselves" comes into it.
Having worked in sport (grass roots through to elite) for many years, and using mental (turning into physical) advantages of the belief system, the actual/perceived gains it will give a sportsperson/weekend warrior/improving rider can be unbelievable. Obviously you still can't jump a supermarket special off a Rampage drop, but you may be able to double that jump you've wanted to do but haven't had the guts (no upgrade is gonna help when you are heading for the face of the landing cos you bottled on the take-off).
Sounds boring, but chuck a few quid into a book (remember them?) about sport psychology, such as the Lanny Bassham "With Winning in Mind". He's been there, done it and the information is relatable. relatable. Guaranteed to make a difference, just give it a chance, put the work in and reap the benefits (plus an easy read) . Not a bike book, but sometimes it's good to get an external view on something that is not bike related, but applicable to the person and not the machinery.
Apologies if this post is seen as not relavent in this thread/forum, but we all enjoy riding and sometimes we overlook the cheapest upgradable part-us.
Right, I'm of to service my RS Quadra 21's (just kidding, they are just wall art now as part of my old P7 Orange).
Just food for thought.

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
I had my forks fully serviced after 200 miles has they went stiff at LBS, they did get better, but see attached picture of right stanchion , this happened over a 2 week period and fork now has a flat spot. i have sent to decathlon regarding a warranty claim awaiting a response. Done 12:50 miles View attachment 50606 View attachment 50606
Fork Update. Decathlon have paid me £400 to put towards a replacement fork, they did not want to replace the 35 original as they were not confident that the same thing would not happen again. I am happy with the outcome.. PS My seat post has broken now and is irreparable, I had it fixed first time with a new part at cable attachment at bottom post. This time the plastic components have completely worn away, i have replaced with 150 mm BRAND x post very good so far. Do I dare go for another warranty claim??

Last edited:

Johnny rider

Jun 28, 2020
Coventry uk
Fork Update. Decathlon have paid me £400 to put towards a replacement fork, they did not want to replace the 35 original as they were not confident that the same thing would happen again. I am happy with the outcome.. PS My seat post has broken now and is irreparable, I had it fixed first time with a new part at cable attachment at bottom post. This time the plastic components have completely worn away, i have replaced with 150 mm BRAND x post very good so far. Do I dare go for another warranty claim??
Did you have to send the original forks off bud

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Fork Update. Decathlon have paid me £400 to put towards a replacement fork, they did not want to replace the 35 original as they were not confident that the same thing would happen again. I am happy with the outcome.. PS My seat post has broken now and is irreparable, I had it fixed first time with a new part at cable attachment at bottom post. This time the plastic components have completely worn away, i have replaced with 150 mm BRAND x post very good so far. Do I dare go for another warranty claim??
Yeah, I would. A warranty is a warranty after all & a dropper is not a consumable part. Also, I stuck a brand x on one of mine , agree they're decent for the money.

RockySpieler

Sep 23, 2018
Bottom of the hill
Hi All

As a Stilus owner I thought it maybe fun to start an upgrade page, for us to show our bikes if we have added or changed any parts from the original spec, I will add my pics once the rain stops but I’d love to see any upgraded Decathlon Stilus bikes.

Hi Tallguy888

Did you progress your idea for a polypropylene bash guard?

Were you going to make your own PP from recycled bottle caps or buy a sheet?

Thanks

Jason

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Mullet conversion completed. Wheel of Scott genius, tyre magic Mary 2.6, went straight in no caliper adjustments needed. I can pick wheel size to suit planned ride now.. Bit of red covering on battery guard to cover all scratches from dropping onto fences and gates. I will refrain posting pics for a while, I have been monopolizing the tread. any one tried a 220mm Rotor yet?
1612427908438.png

Racoon21

Jan 3, 2021
scot
Whats everyone running for brakes?
I really want to upgrade from the guides any suggestions where i wont need to upgrade rotors and disks? Trying to keep the cost down for now

Pierroleca

Feb 8, 2021
France
[QUOTE = "Racoon21, message: 263170, membre: 14611"]
Qu'est-ce que tout le monde court pour les freins?
Je veux vraiment mettre à niveau des guides des suggestions où je n'aurai pas besoin de mettre à niveau les rotors et les disques? Essayer de réduire les coûts pour le moment
[/CITATION]
vous pouvez simplement changer les plaquettes et purger le liquide de frein

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Whats everyone running for brakes?
I really want to upgrade from the guides any suggestions where i wont need to upgrade rotors and disks? Trying to keep the cost down for now
Hi

I went for Hope E 4, just because i can repair them when they break as spare parts are available, The guides are good brakes but when the pads wear you lose your lever travel as there is not enough fluid in the master cylinder to compensate. Hence you can lose your brake half way through a ride, Shimano are good but once again it not always possible to repair.

Last edited:

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Hi

I went for Hope E 4, just because i can repair them when they break as spare parts are available, The guides are good brakes but when the pads wear you lose your lever travel as there is not enough fluid in the master cylinder to compensate. Hence you can lose your brake half way through a ride, Shimano are good but once again it not always possible to repair.
And yes the Hopes go straight on without any need for modification, If you buy thev4 you get 3 sets of pads included so probably work out cheaper than the E 4 .

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I'm waiting for the postman to bring a V4 rebuild kit this morning, I have a rear caliper with one seized & two chipped pistons. All in about £30 which is entirely reasonable imo. They're on my trail bike, I've kept the guides on the Stilus as I've found them ok after setting up & they did need setting up from the factory.

The issue for me & I know others had the same was excessive lever throw. The cure was to remove the wheel, advance the pistons & bleed or top up as necessary & that gave the short lever throw I wanted from them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles