Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
How did you get the Focus for such a good price if you don’t mind me asking? Just had a quick look around and they are still listed from about £3500 - £4000 for a 2019 model. Looks like a great bit of kit though, you’re right that it’s all about enjoyment.

Nothing special, around November last year I was looking again at buying an e-mtb, and saw that Rutland Cycling had a load of Jam2s of various sorts and sizes, and that was the price they were selling them at.

I popped to their shop and tried a couple of sizes, found the medium fitted me and purchased one. Those were the days! There's usually scope to get the outgoing models at reduced prices most years, that might be a bit different this year due to the COVID impacts of increasing demand and interrupting manufacture and supply, but it'll get back to normal at some point.

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
Nothing special, around November last year I was looking again at buying an e-mtb, and saw that Rutland Cycling had a load of Jam2s of various sorts and sizes, and that was the price they were selling them at.

I popped to their shop and tried a couple of sizes, found the medium fitted me and purchased one. Those were the days! There's usually scope to get the outgoing models at reduced prices most years, that might be a bit different this year due to the COVID impacts of increasing demand and interrupting manufacture and supply, but it'll get back to normal at some point.
You’ve done really well there! Just had a look for a branch near me but the nearest one is Leicester, was hoping there was one near by that I could have a look in.

Thanks for the info ??

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
just seen on the Facebook group that a guy who was due to get his bike on the 20th (ordered 2 weeks ago) just had his order canceled ...

I’m not expecting to get this bike now . And neither is my missis .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So, if I am getting this right, we all need to either go with this fairly damming assessment of the bike or...
No mate, you simply need to learn to read and comprehend an honest impartial summary of what you're actually getting for your £2700 without taking it personally and getting all...

As for the quality of the frame manufacture and quality of finishing kit. Decathlon have clearly taken shortcuts to bring a full sus Emtb with Bosch motor, internal battery and SRAM components to the market. I didn't say it was dangerous or it would fail. did I? :rolleyes:

Seriously. Take an evening class in English.. .your comprehension skills are truely terrible

Last edited:

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
just seen on the Facebook group that a guy who was due to get his bike on the 20th (ordered 2 weeks ago) just had his order canceled ...

I’m not expecting to get this bike now . And neither is my missis .
Cancelled via the website tracking page? I think people have had that before, looks like it’s been cancelled but then still arrives anyway. Fingers crossed that this is the case for you both.

Mine is still saying at the processing with delivery still saying 30th July. I’ve requested to join the Facebook group so just waiting for approval to have a look myself.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think their is a lot of bike snobbery around nowadays
It's not snobbery at all mate. it's just honesty.
What bike suits YOU best comes down to where and how you ride and your own personal preference.
If you're happy with the Stilus then i'm happy for you.

Idaho

Jun 22, 2020
Glasgow
Seriously. Take an evening class in English.. .your comprehension skills are truely terrible

That wasn't necessary.

You're coming across as a arrogant, full of yourself.

I'd suggest you take an evening class in English to learn how to express yourself in a socially acceptable manner.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
levers close to the bar
If you mean before being pulled simply wind the lever reach adjuster out.
If you mean too much lever throw before the pads contact the rotor simply advance the pistons as described earlier.
Bikes that are shipped with wheels off and pad spacers on the calipers almost always come with their pistons retracted further than ideal.
and not sharp at all.
If you mean not "grabby" your pads probably just need bedding in.
But if you mean spongy, Yes a bleed should firm them up
i will go through the brakes and set/check everything next week.
pay particular attention to caliper alignment. it's not always great on pre-assembled bikes.
as the cables/pipes run through the frame i guess you are relying on the skill/interest level of the bike assembler.
Yeah. I guess so. assuming the bikes will be assembled in an assembly line environment the brake line assembler should have plenty experience/skill (at that particular job) and be far more efficient at routing and attaching hoses than you may think. But yeah. Hardly the most interesting task to be doing all day and doing loads doesn't mean they're all going to be perfectly bled.
but i will need a bleed kit at some point anyway so may as well have it to hand when i start the job
Yeah. Always good to have.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'd suggest you take an evening class in English to learn how to express yourself in a socially acceptable manner.
and how much time do you think the tutor would spend in the class covering "social acceptance" versus basic reading "comprehension" skills?
I think you were possibly looking to sign me up for the sociology classes but somehow stumbled into drama club yourself

rttek.png

Idaho

Jun 22, 2020
Glasgow
and how much time do you think the tutor would spend in the class covering "social acceptance" versus basic reading "comprehension" skills?
I think you were possibly looking to sign me up for the sociology classes but somehow stumbled into drama club yourself

rttek.png
You still don't see it do you? ?

Anyway, thanks for confirming...

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
Just out of interest which part of the supension pivot mounts and dropouts have they cut corners on? Apologies for the noob question.

I stole a couple of pictures from a previous post (hopefully attached) and it all looks fairly solid to my untrained eye. I’m a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to the FS stuff. I’m not even sure I know what a dropout is!

Obviously you might not be able to see it from the pictures. Have you had chance to ride one yet too? I’d be interested to know what you thought.

B0683810-CD02-40CB-A44D-7DD6D3F31011.jpeg

648C16BD-D75E-4A9E-A122-EBE62B57B0EC.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I stole a couple of pictures from a previous post (hopefully attached) and it all looks fairly solid to my untrained eye
I didn't say it wasn't solid.
it's just not very well thought out and the frame construction has been implimented cheaply (in places).
look at the welding. and look at the varoius frame sections (The parts that are not the actual frame tubes). Their construction has been done cheaply is all.. Look at the rocker in your pic. That has had far more money spent on it's design and construction than certain other (less noticable) parts of the frame. More complicated designs and shapes simply cost more.
Have you had chance to ride one yet too? I’d be interested to know what you thought.
sorry mate. no.
But simply from the chainstay length I know it wouldn't be a frame I'd want.
From what Rob reported when riding it, it sounds like their actual suspension design is progressive and works well though. Which is what matters (if you can cope with the chainstays)

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Who’s going to be first on the naughty step? I’m really glad the we have people on here sticking their head up above the parrots spit (? sorry family joke) with their views. It reminds me of the time I was having a ball and the multi- millionaire told me it was pants, it’s all about perspective folks.

Any road up, I need to fit an effective rear mudguard . What have been your solutions? I will even welcome your ideas Gary ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Well... given the massive chainstays you probably have more options than most 4 bar horst Emtb frames. ;)

RRP Proguard long ziptied to the seat stays is my solution (keeping shit off the frame, shock, link, motor) but for full coverage (keeping the rider dry) you probably want a mudhugger rear long

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Who’s going to be first on the naughty step? I’m really glad the we have people on here sticking their head up above the parrots spit (? sorry family joke) with their views. It reminds me of the time I was having a ball and the multi- millionaire told me it was pants, it’s all about perspective folks.

Any road up, I need to fit an effective rear mudguard . What have been your solutions? I will even welcome your ideas Gary ?
Or you could install MudStop - and not worry about the pants?

MudStop the Bosch bearing protection system -

Assemblage-MudStop-V2-1024x724.jpg

McNasty

Jul 17, 2020
Manchester
I didn't say it wasn't solid.
it's just not very well thought out and the frame construction has been implimented cheaply (in places).
look at the welding. and look at the varoius frame sections (The parts that are not the actual frame tubes). Their construction has been done cheaply is all.. Look at the rocker in your pic. That has had far more money spent on it's design and construction than certain other (less noticable) parts of the frame. More complicated designs and shapes simply cost more.

sorry mate. no.
But simply from the chainstay length I know it wouldn't be a frame I'd want.
From what Rob reported when riding it, it sounds like their actual suspension design is progressive and works well though. Which is what matters (if you can cope with the chainstays)
Thanks Gary, looking forward to mine arriving now so I can have a look for myself (hopefully I get a good one). Also looking forward to seeing how the mullet upgrade changes the geometry, will test it stock first so I can appreciate the difference.

Like you said everything is personal preference and each rider is different but it’s good to get some advice from people in the know before spending a load of money buying one.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
No mate, you simply need to learn to read and comprehend an honest impartial summary of what you're actually getting for your £2700 without taking it personally and getting all...

As for the quality of the frame manufacture and quality of finishing kit. Decathlon have clearly taken shortcuts to bring a full sus Emtb with Bosch motor, internal battery and SRAM components to the market. I didn't say it was dangerous or it would fail. did I? :rolleyes:

Ironic you chose the Snow White thing, maybe you need to look in the mirror a little more often yourself ?.
Anyway, have a great weekend and no hard feelings, believe me, life's too short.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Cancelled via the website tracking page? I think people have had that before, looks like it’s been cancelled but then still arrives anyway. Fingers crossed that this is the case for you both.

Mine is still saying at the processing with delivery still saying 30th July. I’ve requested to join the Facebook group so just waiting for approval to have a look myself.
No he had a email cancellation and mine is due 29th .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ironic you chose the Snow White thing, maybe you need to look in the mirror a little more often yourself ?.
Anyway, have a great weekend and no hard feelings, believe me, life's too short.
There were no ahem... "hard" feelings, believe me ;) and the irony was intentional. You just don't share my sense of humour.
Fair enough tho.
Have a great weekend too mate

Last edited:

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Looking at getting this just the tool to remove the ring is dear unless there is a cheaper version
@Johnny rider I bought this: Unior 616069 Inner Bearing Wrench for Shimano, Bontrager, Truvativ, 1671.2/4 (1 Stü | eBay

And this:

Both fit/work perfectly on the Stilus (y)

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Just had software update done.
Before the DU version reads:- 1.0.2.0
After update the DU version reads:- 1.1.0.0

Anyone taking delivery from now on may want to check as the bikes will be coming down the line with the new software version at some stage (y)

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Just had software update done.
Before the DU version reads:- 1.0.2.0
After update the DU version reads:- 1.1.0.0

Anyone taking delivery from now on may want to check as the bikes will be coming down the line with the new software version at some stage (y)
I’m told that they don’t have the dongle, yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles